ELS - Not So Much

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007 | 11:42 AM
Moved to the LOU

ELS - Not So Much

Well guys... I know we all bitch and complain that the ELS system is not what it's all cracked up to be. Here is a perfect example of how this is true. I just bought my girl a new ride. She didn't need anything special so we got her a new Nissan Versa. Great on gas mileage and the upgraded Rockford Fozgate stereo system is 100x better than this piece of elephant shit ELS system. Nice to know an $18,000 car has a better stereo than our TL's.
Old 03-06-2007 | 12:20 PM
Pro

Dude it's true, the sound system in the TL kind of sucks. You'd think that a luxury car that is supposedly known for its high end electronics and gadgets would have a killer sound system. However, a couple of weeks ago I was on a business trip and was driving a pontiac grand prix GXP rental (5.2L V8, leather, heads up display, 18" chromes, pretty nice for a rental car). It had the monsoon audio system and it was like night and day compared to the TL. After driving that car for a few days and getting back into the TL, I felt like I was listening to the stereo in a Kia.
Old 03-06-2007 | 04:13 PM
Racer

I would be curious as to what you think constitutes a great audio system in a car. In all my previous cars I had extensive aftermarket systems installed. I did not feel the need to spend 3000.00 - 4000.00 on an aftermarket system for my 2005 TL.....why ? Because other than being able to get jaw jarring SPL's with a bunch of outboard amps, I know I wouldn't be improving the sound by all that much.

While the system in the TL will not blow out the windows with SPLs by any means, it's a very accurate sounding system. What I mean by this is that the soundstage is very good and the high frequencies are very clear and detailed without making your years bleed (that's not an easy thing for a sound system to accomplish).

Yes the sound system could use some more bass response, and yes the speakers could be a little better.....but as constructed it sounds quite good especially when reproducing the human vocal range, perhaps the toughest thing for a speaker to do.

While the system falls short if you are driving down the highway at 85 MPH with the windows open, I submit that the best thing you can do when listening to a sound system is to make sure the environment is a quiet as possible. I know, I know, in a car in the Summer you want to be able to blast tunes with the windows down and the wind blowing through your hair. But by doing that you can't expect even the most powerful car systems to sound their best. There is just a too high an external noise floor. It would be like watching a 3000.00 HDTV wearing sunglasses.

If your criteria for what makes a system a great system is based solely on power and the SPLs that can be reached by that power, then you really don't know what audio is all about. Add to this that not every CD is a terrific recording. A badly engineered CD is going to sound just as crappy on a 5000.00 aftermarket system.

As stock stereo systems go the TL's may not rate an A but it certainly rates a solid B+.
Old 03-06-2007 | 04:29 PM
Be kind to us truckers !

Originally Posted by Adamo0926
I would be curious as to what you think constitutes a great audio system in a car. In all my previous cars I had extensive aftermarket systems installed. I did not feel the need to spend 3000.00 - 4000.00 on an aftermarket system for my 2005 TL.....why ? Because other than being able to get jaw jarring SPL's with a bunch of outboard amps, I know I wouldn't be improving the sound by all that much.

While the system in the TL will not blow out the windows with SPLs by any means, it's a very accurate sounding system. What I mean by this is that the soundstage is very good and the high frequencies are very clear and detailed without making your years bleed (that's not an easy thing for a sound system to accomplish).

Yes the sound system could use some more bass response, and yes the speakers could be a little better.....but as constructed it sounds quite good especially when reproducing the human vocal range, perhaps the toughest thing for a speaker to do.

While the system falls short if you are driving down the highway at 85 MPH with the windows open, I submit that the best thing you can do when listening to a sound system is to make sure the environment is a quiet as possible. I know, I know, in a car in the Summer you want to be able to blast tunes with the windows down and the wind blowing through your hair. But by doing that you can't expect even the most powerful car systems to sound their best. There is just a too high an external noise floor. It would be like watching a 3000.00 HDTV wearing sunglasses.

If your criteria for what makes a system a great system is based solely on power and the SPLs that can be reached by that power, then you really don't know what audio is all about. Add to this that not every CD is a terrific recording. A badly engineered CD is going to sound just as crappy on a 5000.00 aftermarket system.

As stock stereo systems go the TL's may not rate an A but it certainly rates a solid B+.
Agreed, it's not a McIntosh High end system!.......but it's clarity & sound purity are impressive !.......some people just don't appreciate a clean sounding system! let alone knowwhat one sound's like!!......I guess if it's LOUD and DISTORTED to some it must be awesome to them!
Old 03-06-2007 | 04:40 PM
Moved to the LOU

Originally Posted by 007TL-S
Agreed, it's not a McIntosh High end system!.......but it's clarity & sound purity are impressive !.......some people just don't appreciate a clean sounding system! let alone knowwhat one sound's like!!......I guess if it's LOUD and DISTORTED to some it must be awesome to them!
you guys are fucking retarded! I know what a quality sound system sounds like. Is this system pretty clear? Yes... Is it loud? NOT AT ALL! I'm the guy that drives down the street and makes fun of the "young kids" that put a giant sub in their car with shitty mid's and tweets and all you hear is bass and crackling high end. Don't assume that we all know nothing about high end audio and you guys are the fukcing audio masters! My home audio consists of a Denon receiver, Dahli subs and Para Sound surround! All high end shit and everyone that watches a movie at my house is like HOLY SHIT, thats better than the movies. But I guess a high end home audio system makes me fucking oblivious to a good car stereo. Sorry for ranting but maybe when someone posts you could ask them questions instead of insulting them. The both of you high and mighty cock masters!
Old 03-06-2007 | 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by twigglius
you guys are fucking retarded! I know what a quality sound system sounds like. Is this system pretty clear? Yes... Is it loud? NOT AT ALL! I'm the guy that drives down the street and makes fun of the "young kids" that put a giant sub in their car with shitty mid's and tweets and all you hear is bass and crackling high end. Don't assume that we all know nothing about high end audio and you guys are the fukcing audio masters! My home audio consists of a Denon receiver, Dahli subs and Para Sound surround! All high end shit and everyone that watches a movie at my house is like HOLY SHIT, thats better than the movies. But I guess a high end home audio system makes me fucking oblivious to a good car stereo. Sorry for ranting but maybe when someone posts you could ask them questions instead of insulting them. The both of you high and mighty cock masters!
Don't you think you are overreacting a little (not to mention your need to consult a dictionary for some alternative descriptives that aren't profane)? You put out a borderline rant on the quality of the sound system. The first response to you was a relatively respectful rebuttal and expression that this is, like most things, a question of taste and preference.

I, for one, make use of Marantz and Bowers & Wilkins in my home stereo, but am not at all upset by the sound quality of the ELS because it does what I would expect. It provides a good soundfield and provides accurate sound. I've had Rockford in a car before, and it does sound good, but you know they are cutting corners to support mass production for Nissan. My guess is that the longevity of that equipment is questionable, at best.
Old 03-06-2007 | 05:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thats weird, im loving the sound system on my 2007 TL-S. Is the 07+ sound system any different than the 04-06 TLs?
Old 03-06-2007 | 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by juruki
Thats weird, im loving the sound system on my 2007 TL-S. Is the 07+ sound system any different than the 04-06 TLs?
Not in any material way that would affect the issues being discussed in this thread.
Old 03-06-2007 | 05:39 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ttribe
Don't you think you are overreacting a little (not to mention your need to consult a dictionary for some alternative descriptives that aren't profane)? You put out a borderline rant on the quality of the sound system. The first response to you was a relatively respectful rebuttal and expression that this is, like most things, a question of taste and preference.

I, for one, make use of Marantz and Bowers & Wilkins in my home stereo, but am not at all upset by the sound quality of the ELS because it does what I would expect. It provides a good soundfield and provides accurate sound. I've had Rockford in a car before, and it does sound good, but you know they are cutting corners to support mass production for Nissan. My guess is that the longevity of that equipment is questionable, at best.
Definitely agree with you TTRIBE. BTW, what kind of B&Ws do you have. I have the 602s.
Old 03-06-2007 | 05:43 PM
Instructor

Not in any material way that would affect the issues being discussed in this thread.
I believe the '07 has some kind of noise cancellation technology.
Old 03-06-2007 | 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by noah82
I believe the '07 has some kind of noise cancellation technology.
Definitely on the Type-S, but I don't think it comes on the "base" TL...I could be wrong though.
Old 03-06-2007 | 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by jazznut
Definitely agree with you TTRIBE. BTW, what kind of B&Ws do you have. I have the 602s.
I don't want to hijack this thread any more than I already have but to answer your question. I have the DM303's for the 6 main channels, and an ASW602 for the sub. Wish I had gone with the 6's now in hindsight, but I still get REALLY NICE sound from the 3's.

BTW, I still give props to Acura for putting a system in a car that can handle more sophisticated sound media (i.e. DVD-A and DTS Discs). I was always puzzled why there wasn't better MP3/WMA, etc. support in the pre-07's.
Old 03-06-2007 | 06:57 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by twigglius
I know we all bitch and complain that the ELS system is not what it's all cracked up to be.
Then why start yet another thread.

At the rate that this thread is going.. it's on the verge of getting the lockdown.
Old 03-06-2007 | 09:39 PM
07 TL-Navi 5AT, NBP

Ok, I'll bite before it's locked down.

When laying in the trunk of my '94 626 back in January removing the Polk Momo's and Alpine CD changer from the rear parcel deck I said to myself..."I'm 46 years old.. I think I'm done crawling into trunks and under dashboards..the ELS will be good enough for me". I've been doing high end systems in my vehicles since 1979 (I had a 7 band equalizer/power booster hooked to my Pioneer supertuner and Tri-axial 6x9's). The Mazda had a TON of equipment (soon to be on ebay) which I won't go into now and bore you all.

That was the night before I picked up my TL. Two months later I have a subwoofer and two new Infinity tweeters and a new Infinity center ready to install.

I agree that this has to be one of the most accurate systems around. I find the front high-end a bit lacking and hope the tweets will. The bass is lacking on everything except techno/dance stuff, ESPECIALLY on DVD-A's (a REAL disappointment but a reasonable concession for the fantastic multi-channel). I'm hoping the basslink will be the only 'active' mod I put in. Just a little 'boom boom', for me, not my neighorhood.

Sure the ELS won't bounce a quarter on an adjacent car's trunk (or it's own for that matter)..I just want to vibrate the rear view a little on those days when, well, you just wish you had a bazooka mounted in the grill, if you know what I mean!

Rick
Old 03-07-2007 | 12:20 AM
Advanced

Talking

I agree with most of what you said but I wouldn't go as far as giving it a B+. I think my '04 MDX Touring system is a tad better and in my book it gets a B. So the TLS is somewhere between a C+ or B-.
Old 03-07-2007 | 08:33 AM
Racer

Wow......because I stated an opinion, in a rather respectful way I might add, I am a fucking retard. I just get a little sick of seeing people bash the ELS sound system with a general "it sucks" without giving any specific reasons of why they think it sucks.

If you think it sucks because someone can't hear you coming from a mile away then say that.

If you think it sucks because the bass is too boomy or not tight enough then say that.

If you think the tweeters could be smoother then say that.

If you think the soundstage could be better then explain.

If you don't like the way it reproduces human vocals then state why.

"It Sucks" just doesn't cut it.

At least I stated the reasons why I think the system rates a solid B+

Not bad for a fucking retard, huh ?
Old 03-07-2007 | 10:15 AM

Not bad for a fucking retard, huh ?
^This isn't going to help things any. Mods - Is this the end of this thread?
Old 03-07-2007 | 12:32 PM
Pro

I'll go ahead and stay something constructive before this thread gets locked. Adamo does have a point here that I had actually kind of forgotten about when referencing the pontiac grand prix in my earlier post. While the grand prix's monsoon sound system was definitely louder and had 10 times more bass, I WILL say that it didn't have a very level response across the frequencies (no matter how I tried to adjust the EQ, it was very hot in some frequencies and very flat in others). The TL's system definitely lacks bass (and the fact that the rear deck rattles like a mofo doesn't help), and doesn't get very loud, but the response is certainly even.
Old 03-07-2007 | 12:46 PM
Safety Car

^This isn't going to help things any. Mods - Is this the end of this thread?