E-Bay Sub Box...What are your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 11:36 PM

Received 9,524 Likes on 6,180 Posts
E-Bay Sub Box...What are your thoughts?

I honestly don't know if this was posted here before, I searched but nothing came up, so I'm going to post it and hopefully I don't get the dreaded as all of my replies to this topic haha.

I've been wanting a subwoofer "wall" in my trunk for a while now. The box is bulky and I would have a hard time getting my spare out since it covers part of the flap on top of the tire. The "wall" look is a lot cleaner in my opinion, and I would love to have one made, but I don't have a grand to drop on a custom made one. The seller says they have multiple styles available such as one 10", two 10", one 12", and two 12". I would end up getting the one 12". I saw this on E-Bay and wanted to see everybody's thoughts on it.

I have one 12" Alpine Type-R 4-ohm with a JL Audio 500/1 in a dookie ass Best Buy box right now in my 04 TL.

Check it out and let me know what your thoughts are on it!

http://cgi.ebay.com/04-08-ZEnclosure...DLVI%26ps%3D54

Thanks!
Old 05-05-2009, 12:11 AM
Unregistered User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Not bad at all for the price. Fits very flush and still gives you plenty of trunk space. Now all you need is another sub and amp! Good luck with your decision.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:13 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was eyeing this same exact piece up big time but decicded to stay with my ported enclosure. The sealed enclosure definitely gives a much a cleaner look, and even though my amp is strong enough to deliver powerful bass even in a sealed enclosure, I wanted maximum performance, and didn't go with the sealed enclosure.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Rob RiL
Not bad at all for the price. Fits very flush and still gives you plenty of trunk space. Now all you need is another sub and amp! Good luck with your decision.
Thanks for your input

Yea it looks pretty damn good to me. I went to a place and they wanted around $1500 for a fiberglassed wall, and I will gladly spend $130 on a carpeted wall over that haha.

So you think I should run 2 subs and 2 amps, or just keep what I have? There are different box options from the seller.

Originally Posted by woot427
I was eyeing this same exact piece up big time but decicded to stay with my ported enclosure. The sealed enclosure definitely gives a much a cleaner look, and even though my amp is strong enough to deliver powerful bass even in a sealed enclosure, I wanted maximum performance, and didn't go with the sealed enclosure.
That's understandable. I have a ported box right now, and the sub sounds great in it, the box is just bulky and pretty ugly haha. What sub/amp combo are you running?
Old 05-05-2009, 10:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
Other than the mismatched carpet and the fact that it weights 60 lbs without the subs loaded. It's a universal box not built to any specific requirements. Also, because of it's layout with the vertical wall that goes from floor to roof.... you'll have a ton of bass in the trunk but none in the cabin. Once you shut the trunk the subwoofers will be firing into a sealed room. A solid wall in every direction.

Happy 5th of May!!
Old 05-05-2009, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by uncald4
Other than the mismatched carpet and the fact that it weights 60 lbs without the subs loaded. It's a universal box not built to any specific requirements. Also, because of it's layout with the vertical wall that goes from floor to roof.... you'll have a ton of bass in the trunk but none in the cabin. Once you shut the trunk the subwoofers will be firing into a sealed room. A solid wall in every direction.

Happy 5th of May!!
Very very true. Good point sir

And damn you are right....it's Cinco de Mayo!!
Old 05-05-2009, 11:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Very very true. Good point sir

And damn you are right....it's Cinco de Mayo!!
he is right. i had a the same box build myself but then realized it wouldn't work for the same fact he stated. My Bass sounded like if you put pillows over the subwoofers So then i did the same box with only one sub directly firing into the cabin and being sealed off from the trunk.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:13 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Happy 5th of May!!
Couldn't have said this better myself...

/thread
Old 05-05-2009, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by BukvaMan
he is right. i had a the same box build myself but then realized it wouldn't work for the same fact he stated. My Bass sounded like if you put pillows over the subwoofers So then i did the same box with only one sub directly firing into the cabin and being sealed off from the trunk.
That's good thinking!

Thanks for your input

Originally Posted by Trew
Couldn't have said this better myself...

/thread
Agreed. I would close the thread, but I want to keep it open because I figured I wouldn't be the only person asking about this sub box over time. At least with it still open, people can look it up and find this with everybody's thoughts and opinions on it instead of opening a new thread about it.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:06 AM
Unregistered User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Now that more is clarified here, I can clarify too. I thought OP meant the box with 2 sub spots, which would make it a decent deal for the cash. If that route is taken, you would turn the box so the speakers fire INTO the cab, not facing the trunk. (okay, just looked closer at the pic, the box is made to fit so tight with the TL's trunk proportions that you could NOT reverse install it. This box is NOT worth anything as it is being sold....maybe with modification, but if you do that you might as well make your own box.) Someone else posted about the height stopping flow, which it would. You'd still hear it, but there would be more rattle from your trunk lid than clean bass.

If you're (OP) going with 1 single sub, Uncald4 sells a nice hideaway box. I'm not sure how exactly it gets the performance that I've read because it looks like it aims the sub towards the trunk rather than the cab.....reflection off the lid maybe?
Uncald4, if you chime in to answer the above question, do you mind me asking where you get matching carpet for the TL? (sorry for hijacking) I need to match up the glovebox but it's been hell and high water at fabric stores!

Last edited by Rob RiL; 05-07-2009 at 03:11 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:06 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Happy 5th of May!!
This. prefabs FTL
Old 05-11-2009, 04:58 AM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 130 Posts
A sealed box requires double the power then a ported box for the same dB.

Sealed boxes do not require a perfect volume. Vented/ported boxes require a proper volume and a proper vent/port size/diameter/length for the subs theil/small parameters.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:30 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Prefab bandpass box FTW........lol
Old 05-12-2009, 07:13 PM

Thank you guys for giving me you input on this thing, I greatly appreciate it. I am no car audio guru like some of you

I am staying far away from this thing and I have recently chosen to sell my sub/box/amp to a friend and save up for new components to replace my stock speakers.