DVD-audio wrting software.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 08:20 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD-audio wrting software.

After many hours of reading this forum and surfing the web, i would like to verify my findings about DVD-audio writing software. What can be used to make DVD-audio from mp3/wav or "backup" ;-) an audio-DVD? This is what I found so far.

WavelLab5- cool looking software, can download demo (will not burn) expensive.

DiscWelder- didn't try, sounds simple, can't do groups. 99 songs limit, but only about $100

DigiOn- used it , got it of the net, free trial!!!!!, but IN JAPANESE! seems to work fine but I hate not knowing what I am doing. (more info in other treads)

GEAR DVD- read about it waiting for the trial version, cheap $75
http://www.gearsoftware.com/products/dvd/index.html

For simple reasons, popular software like Nero or CD-Creator will not work. Did anybody find anything else out there???
Old 09-06-2004, 08:45 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Originally Posted by MrBadGUy
GEAR DVD- read about it waiting for the trial version, cheap $75
http://www.gearsoftware.com/products/dvd/index.html
The description of this software says "Import and Burn DVD-Audio" - in other words, you need a DVD-Audio authoring package to create the DVD-Audio files. Once that's done, Gear DVD can write the files to DVD.

Gear is the burning engine behind the Discwelder line - Minnetonka developed the software to create the DVD-Audio files, and then use the Gear drivers to write the disc. But the fact of the matter is once the files are authored, any DVD-burning program could be used to burn them.

I don't think there's any magic in that Gear software for us.

Mike
Old 09-07-2004, 01:35 PM
Lom
7th Gear

Guys, I have created a DVD-Audio disk the other day using Diskwelder Chrome. The disk is fine, my home systems play it but the TL's DVD-A player does not want to accept the disk, it ejects its and the word "DISK" is blinking indicating that the disk is "bad". The DVD disk I used was a DVD+RW. Does anyone has experience with it?
Old 09-07-2004, 02:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lom
The DVD disk I used was a DVD+RW. Does anyone has experience with it?
I believe the TL will read only DVD-Rs.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:21 PM
Coming to a city near you

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
if anybody is experienced with Bit torrent. http://www.audiofarm.cc has wavelab 5, downloading now at 45k/sec and rising.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:35 PM
Advanced

TL will not play andy DVD+ disks, I tried DVD-R and it works no problem.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:20 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MrBadGUy
TL will not play andy DVD+ disks, I tried DVD-R and it works no problem.

So, a burned DVD-R will work on TL?

Btw, which program did you use?
Old 09-07-2004, 10:28 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Prob discussed to death, but ID3 tags that MP3s have are not going to make it to nav screen, right?
Old 09-07-2004, 11:33 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Right.

Mike
Old 09-08-2004, 05:57 PM
Advanced

I used the Japanese program mentioned before. Burned MP3 on Memorex DVD-R and worked no problem. The program converted MP3 to wav and did all the work, so the disk is kind of like DVD-Audio, but it has approx. 90 songs in CD quality (or whatever the MP3 was to begin with).

To find out more about this program: http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showt...9&page=1&pp=25
Old 09-13-2004, 04:52 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Achance
if anybody is experienced with Bit torrent. http://www.audiofarm.cc has wavelab 5, downloading now at 45k/sec and rising.

Also available at the most supr site on the internet.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:05 AM
Intermediate

Just to be clear... you guys are using DVD -R discs, NOT DVD +R discs. I read somewhere else that DVD+R discs were working, but it now sounds like -R is the way to go? Please clarify so I can start burning! Thanks!!
Old 09-16-2004, 09:35 AM
Lom
7th Gear

I've burned a few DVD-Audio disks. DVD-R and DVD-RW work fine, DVD+RW do not. Besides, I've also noticed that you need to increase gain when burning DVD-Audio disks. That could depend on the source you're using, but in most cases DVD-Audio disks I've burned are not loud enough (I actually cranked up loudness to 40 for a few disks and it was playing OK but no more than that). So, if you're using conversion utilities such as BeSweet make sure you're applying gain boost.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:35 PM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

my DVD+R (Ritek Media) worked when i put it in the Acura.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:49 AM
Lom
7th Gear

Hm, interesting. May be it does accept DVD+R and not DVD+RW.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:47 PM
6th Gear

im tryinn to burn dvd-a but som how it's not wokinn on my TL i jus bought my TL last week. i tried so for audio dvd ceator, apollo audio dvd creator.. ect... but it u guys burnin dvd-a and know how to make it plzz post it or if u hv software let us know so we can burn it...2 plzz post it... thankxxx
Old 08-28-2006, 09:34 AM
Registered TL Lover

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
me and a lot of folks here use cinclara dvd solo works great takes about 5 min to lear how to use, it has a fully functional free 30day trail and cost less than 30 bucks no need to use mulitple programs and you can make groups if you like
Old 08-28-2006, 01:27 PM
1st Gear

DVD Audio Solo works fine with 5.1; http://www.cirlinca.com/welcome.htm
Old 08-28-2006, 02:11 PM
Burning Brakes

I found a program called DVD-Audio Tools on sourceforge for anybody out there that runs Linux.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:19 PM
10th Gear

DVD Audio Creation

All you need is a tool that will build the DVD-Audio ISO disc image. An iso is the image file that can be directly read and burned by almost any DVD burner software.

Then use any dvd burner software (nero, ez cd creator, sonic record now).

Over here in this forum is a link to a free tool created by a forum user (Adobeman).

It is a GUI for the free dvd-a audio creation tools.

It works great. The only problem I have had with this method is that sometimes the mp3 to wav conversion fails (not his fault, but the underlying lame decoder).

So, I use a different program like CD-ex to rip directly from CD to wav. I use a commercial tool (soundforge to rip mp3 to wav), but I'm pretty sure there is a freeware tool that can do that.

I have burned iso's created by Adobeman's tools using all three programs above and they worked just fine. DVD-R discs worked. DVD+R discs didn't.

To select the different groups on the DVD, press the scan and repeat buttons together.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:54 PM
Advanced

Need some help burning 5.1

I am using DVD Audio Extractor and DVd Audio SOlo to create 5.1 audio from my concert DVDs.

The problem I am having is that when I use DVD Extractor to generate the .wav file (single file) it will not drag or copy to the project view in Solo.

ANy suggestions on why? This is exactly the combination I have been looking for to get the audio off of my DVDs, but something is not working correctly - besides the operator.

I have looked at the tutorials and I am following the directions, but the files will not copy to Solo. Very Strange.

Assistance is appreciated.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:58 PM
10th Gear

RE: Need some help burning 5.1

Originally Posted by stevenr
I am using DVD Audio Extractor and DVd Audio SOlo to create 5.1 audio from my concert DVDs.

The problem I am having is that when I use DVD Extractor to generate the .wav file (single file) it will not drag or copy to the project view in Solo.

ANy suggestions on why? This is exactly the combination I have been looking for to get the audio off of my DVDs, but something is not working correctly - besides the operator.

I have looked at the tutorials and I am following the directions, but the files will not copy to Solo. Very Strange.

Assistance is appreciated.
You may have a wav file that is too big for the DVD.

I just did the same thing yesterday (successfully) with the Eagles Hell Freezes Over DVD-Video.

I used DVD Extractor and then Audio Solo to create the disc image to burn in a different dvd burner program.

You should be creating separate wav files for each "chapter" (read as song). You can choose the option "Save each chapter into seperate file" on step 3 of 4.

Good luck
Old 08-31-2006, 08:45 AM
Advanced

5.1 Burning Assistance

Hetzmic,

Eagles HFO is exactly the same disc I am trying as my first copy. I first tried the direct to .DTS mode, but this did not work. I would assume that I could just burn the .DTS files extracted and play in the TL. No go and my Denon 2900 would play them either.

I did the .WAV file in two ways, a single file (which was not too big at 2.5GB) and discrete channels.

I think I may have stumbled on to something based on your comments.

On DVD Solo, it indicates that it completes the processing of the files, but I was expecting it to write to the DVD-R, since it has a "write" tab and it says burn to disc. Apparently, this is not the case.

WHere are the files located to send to your DVD burning SW? I use Sonic.

I am now assuming that Solo creates the ISO files, stores them somewhere. I use Sonic to burn those files to DVD, correct or am I totally off here.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:07 PM
Advanced

Edit to previous Post - 5.1 Audio

Hetzmic,

I think I see where the issue is, I hope. Under the DVD Image window, you can send ISO files to a location. I was using the Direct to DVD selection, which I was hoping implied that the .WAV files would be burned as is directly to the DVD - at least this is what it implies.

I will try to save as ISO images and burn using SONIC and see how that works. If I am off base here, please let me know. Thanks.

Steve
Old 09-01-2006, 08:21 PM
10th Gear

Re: 5.1 Burning Assistance

Steve,

Yeah, good catch.

To be very specific. This exactly what I did.

In DVD Audio Extractor, I chose the DTS files and chose the option to create a (wav) file per chapter. I deselected all the "gack" chapters before Hotel California and extracted everything else.

Then I opened DVD audio solo and dragged and dropped those 6 channel wav files into the project.

I then chose to write to a file instead of burning directly to disc. This creates an iso file (read this for explanation of iso files - my apologies if you already know this.)

Then use sonic or nero or whatever to open the iso file and burn to disc (choosing finalize disc option) and using a DVD-R. If you do that, you should be good.

I know that DVD Audio Solo can burn directly, but I have always used it to create iso's, and it's always worked for me.

Mike
Old 09-04-2006, 10:29 PM
Cruisin'

Don't believe DVD+R is supported.

Originally Posted by Lom
Hm, interesting. May be it does accept DVD+R and not DVD+RW.
I got my brand new TL on Aug 21, 2006. Today I created an ISO image and burnt the identical image to both DVD-R and DVD+R. The DVD-R was playable, while the DVD+R was not recognized as a disk and (!) switched the unit to the radio instead.

This was of course only a single test, and Acura does not claim that either work, so maybe I was just more lucky with the DVD-R.

-Keith
Old 09-04-2006, 10:41 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by hetzmic
In DVD Audio Extractor, I chose the DTS files and chose the option to create a (wav) file per chapter.

Mike

OK, that is my favorite DVD music disk, and the first one I am trying to bring to the car as well. DVD Audio Extractor is saving them to ".pcm" files. Did I miss an option to make them ".wav" files? Or is this the same thing?

-Keith
Old 09-05-2006, 10:31 AM
Cruisin'

Oh, found the 6 channel option

Originally Posted by keith_swenson_1
DVD Audio Extractor is saving them to ".pcm" files. Did I miss an option to make them ".wav" files? Or is this the same thing?
I found the problem. In DVD Audio Extractor, on the "Title" row, in the second column there a small arrow appears indicating a selector. You have to scroll the window horizontally, or shrink the size of the first column, to see this. Using this selector you can choose between "English LPCM" and "English DTS". It comes up initially in the LPCM mode, which is only stereo. Switch to the 6 channel DTS and the extraction to 6 channel WAV file worked perfectly.

Creating the DVD_Audio ISO image with Cirlinca worked also without hitch.

Recording to DVD-R took two tries to get on that verified completely. The music sounds great, except track 9, which only plays for 12 seconds before skipping to the next track.

-Keith
Old 09-06-2006, 10:55 AM
Advanced

ISO Image not playing

I am still not there yet. I am new to buring audio disks, other than straight backup of existing CDs.

Here is my issue. I had DVD Audio Solo create an ISO image and save to my hard drive. I use Sonic Record Now as my burning SW.

I copied the ISO image using Explorer to my DVD-R to burn. It did copy, but it will not play on either my Denon 2900, which supports DVD-A or in my TL.

I must be missing a step somewhere. I also notice the ISO image is much smaller than the .WAV equivalent.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? I would love to get this working, but all I am doing is tossing -R discs in the trash.

Thanks.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:52 AM
'04 6mt Pearl

Originally Posted by stevenr
I am still not there yet. I am new to buring audio disks, other than straight backup of existing CDs.

Here is my issue. I had DVD Audio Solo create an ISO image and save to my hard drive. I use Sonic Record Now as my burning SW.

I copied the ISO image using Explorer to my DVD-R to burn. It did copy, but it will not play on either my Denon 2900, which supports DVD-A or in my TL.

I must be missing a step somewhere. I also notice the ISO image is much smaller than the .WAV equivalent.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? I would love to get this working, but all I am doing is tossing -R discs in the trash.

Thanks.
Sounds to me like you burned the image to the DVD as a FILE and not an IMAGE.

Nero has an option to Burn Image under the Recorder menu. Use that then navigate to where the .ISO image file is located then burn. I find with my 16x burner that I have to use it at 8x or 6x for the best results even though the disks are 16x. Make sure you use a -R or -RW disk.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:32 AM
Advanced

ok this might sound like a dumb question...but i'm asking anyway

you guys keep talking about burning images and ISO's, but where are you getting them from? are you able to take regular MP3's and convert them to DVD-Audio or are you guys downloading files that are ready to be burned as DVD-audio? if they're downloaded, can someone tell me what site to download from? sorry if i missed it. i've only burned DVD-R's as data backups and never copied something before. just got a DVD burner in the past few months. it'd be awesome to make some DVD-audio discs. THANKS!!
Old 09-07-2006, 02:37 AM
Advanced

sorry for the double post...just thought of another question.

is everyone burning a DVD-audio disc so that you can put more songs onto one disc or is everyone converting songs so that they are in 5.1 surround format? this would probably help answer my previous question too. thanks again.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:51 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
count by 5s, welcome to the forum!

DVD-Audio has been discussed thoroughly on here. Unfortunately, I cannot point you to a thread that summarizes everything (I can't seem to find it).

To quickly answer your questions, most members are using DVD-As to fit more songs on one disk. There are a few programs out there that will take wav and/or mp3 files and compile them into the DVD-A standard. A few of these programs create ISOs so that its a simple burning process. It is also possible to rip audio and convert audio into 5.1 surround sound.

There are a few threads that should interest you:
DVD Audio

Question about DVD-a's

Adobeman's Graphical User Interface (GUI) for Project "Free DVD-A"

Once you get a better idea on the topic, please perform a search for further details. Good luck!