DUAL DISC 5.1 --> DVD AUDIO Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 06:44 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
DUAL DISC 5.1 --> DVD AUDIO Conversion

Okay,

So I went to my local best buy, and I was looking around for DVD-A Discs...I picked up one Linkin Park Disc...sounds awesome -- but the selection of DVD-A discs is so limited. So i ventured onto this DUAL-DISC thing? Have you heard about it? I picked up the Limited Edition of the Jessica Simpson Dual Disc - and it says that is has the entire album in 5.1 surround sound. I put it in the TL and the display reads -- DISC FORMAT -- then turns the audio off. So I come home and put it in in my computer, it reads just like a DVD-Video (Audio TS//Video TS)

Now, how can I convert this into 5.1 DVD-A? Any one?

I hope I didnt just waste 20 bucks!
Old 11-08-2005, 07:12 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check the threads regarding free DVD-Audio tools and $35 DVD Authoring. Plenty of discussions there. For the record, check the back of the dualdisc to see if it says it's DVD-Video or DVD-Audio. Most of the dualdisc state this, but not all.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bounce
Okay,
So I went to my local best buy, and I was looking around for DVD-A Discs...I picked up one Linkin Park Disc...sounds awesome -- but the selection of DVD-A discs is so limited. So i ventured onto this DUAL-DISC thing? Have you heard about it? I picked up the Limited Edition of the Jessica Simpson Dual Disc - and it says that is has the entire album in 5.1 surround sound. I put it in the TL and the display reads -- DISC FORMAT -- then turns the audio off. So I come home and put it in in my computer, it reads just like a DVD-Video (Audio TS//Video TS)

DualDiscs have been out for a couple of years (http://www.dualdisc.com). A DualDisc will have 2 Channel stereo on one side and the flipside will have either DVD-V or DVD-A content. Discs with DVD-A on the flipside will play fine on the TL system. As you found out, DVD-V does not, hence the outcome of a format error indicated on the display. Sony/BMG opted to use DVD-V on their DualDiscs vs DVD-A which is a hi-res format. Sony's hi-res format is SACD. Run a search on DVD-A and you'll come up wiht numerous threads.

Converting 5.1 surround is another matter and there are several threads related to this topic.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118963
https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/my-roommates-vw-gti-121358/
https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/i-need-some-living-situation-advice-123681/
Old 11-09-2005, 11:17 AM
Advanced

Sounds like your real waste was.......

Okay,

Buying a fricking Jessica Simpson disc. How can you buy Linkin Park and Jessica simpson in the same lifetime?

what linkin Park dvda is out?

I can convert the jessica to dvda for ya if you want
Old 11-09-2005, 11:49 AM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
Dualdisc/DVDA

If you want a GREAT one, that's real DVDA, try Dire Straits/"Brothers in Arms"
One of the best 2 or 3 DVDA's I've heard.
Dual disc format/reverse side is playable on "normal" CD players
Old 11-09-2005, 12:11 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by schrady
what linkin Park dvda is out?
The only one I can think of is this one

Old 11-09-2005, 10:00 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

I bought Jessica Simoson Dual Disc and returend it as defective. At that time I didn't have software to make it to DVDA.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:23 PM
Sundevil TL

I also got the Linkin Park DVD-A as my first DVD-A purchase (next time mention you got the Jessica Simson for your girlfriend ;-) ) ... it very nice ... good remixes using the 5.1 ... I LIKE IT .... I LIKE IT ALOT!!!!
Old 11-10-2005, 12:19 AM
Instructor

Guys -- the jessica simpson disc its called in this skin, and it has like 7 songs on it my girl loves...and she lives long distance and we are gonna see each other soon, so i thought i would give her the whole concert feel of the new car -- i thought this would be already assumed!?!

Anyhow, can someone please convert it for me by tomororw, or show me how to do it, i am completely lost!!
Old 11-10-2005, 12:20 AM
Instructor

and yes that is the linkin park disc i have -- reanimation :-)

you guys know of any more i am going to be in NYC and hit up virgin mega records
Old 11-10-2005, 10:33 AM
Safety Car

and yes that is the linkin park disc i have -- reanimation :-)

you guys know of any more i am going to be in NYC and hit up virgin mega records
The only other brick and mortar I know of is Frys and selection is somewhat decent. As far as Virgin goes, the one in our area folded and I believe they have DVD-A discs available on line here but somewhat limited selection. Your best choices are available online. Empire DVD, Acoustic Sounds, DVD Planet, Buy DVD Now, and DTS Online.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:50 AM
Instructor

Bounce,
Just read this thread https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...1&page=1&pp=25 And it will give you shortcuts to the two software needed to do what you want. DVD Audio Extractor and DVD-Audio Solo can both be downloaded and used for 30 days for free. They are both so easy to use. The thread will also tell you how to do it.