Drive+Play, audio inputs, and Lots of questions....

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 08:24 AM
tuning / modding newbie.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Drive+Play, audio inputs, and Lots of questions....

Disclaimer: If you're easily annoyed, or hate stupid questions, or Newbies that have no idea about electronics, or just like to blast the new kid on the block with his first acura, please refrain from reading the following post.

hey everyone! First of all I hope Everyone had a Merry Christmas or Happy Kawanza, or Happy Hannukkha, (i hate being so politically correct sometimes... and a Happy New Year!!

now for my question and request...

has anyone installed the Drive + Play in their car and have pictures of their install and or placement?

after the somewhat dismal reviews of the iPod interface, I thought this would be the best option for integrating the iPod into my car.

My Fiance got me a 60G iPod video and the drive and play for Christmas and I'm so excited about getting this in.

my questions are...

1. where did (or would) you install the "brain", the controller, and the display? (any pictures would be GREAT!!

2. I want to hard wire this to the car audio, but i want to KEEP XM. i know I have to install a toggle but which would be easier or better? the blitzsafe or the soundgate aux3? or is there a better option wit the DIY is saw in a thread using relays and what not?

3. regarding question 2... if i'm going to use the blitzsafe or soundgate, how would I integrate this with the DVD player I am looking at getting? would I need 2 adaptors? and hopefully a toggle switch as well (possibly a three way switch? XM - iPod - DVD) or should I go with the avelectronics unit which allows multiple inputs? (but it SO expensive... and BIG. I rather go with DOMNavandTVtogo for the video input.)

4. question for those who own a video ipod, drive+play and the dock (or those either contemplating or can conceptualize it) When a video is added to the ipod (I have the season one and season dvds of Family Guy on my ipod...amazing...) it places the video not in the "TV shows" file of the ipod but rather the "MOVIES" catagory. in fact the only selection you can make as a user input video is either "music video" or "Movie" at first I thought this SUCKED. i wanted movies for movies, tv shows for tv shows, and music for music. butthat's not the case. so when scrolling through the ipod "music" folder, the I created a genre called "television shows" and placed all my tv shows in that, and "movies" for all the movies.

now follow me...

in the Drive+Play, you can search genre.

if I install a DOCK into my car, and connect the drive and play to that, and then connect a video cable from the dock to the a/v adaptor, when I select my genre "movies" or "tv shows" it should play the movie like it was a music file and send the output of the video through the dock to the the AV adaptor.

pretty cool idea huh?

think it'll work? theroetically... it should.

i movie takes up less than half a gig of space on the ipod (when converted correctly) using have the space on the ipod for mives, that's 30+ movies or if tv shows, it's around 50-70mb.... imagine what could be possible...

I'm gonna try. as soon as i get an either blitzsafe or soundgate (see question 2.. lol)

5. what is the best way to allieviate the issue of loss of sound from spicing? I was going to use shielded cables, and I think that might help a little, and "tapping" into the line vs. splicing, but i'm not really clear of items like line drivers or "cleansweep" But if i'm not mistaken, the cleensweep removes the center speaker capability... is that right? and i don't want to do that because I stil listen to my DVD-A....help...other options for alleviateling sound loss...

thanks for all your help everyone.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:36 PM
Cruisin'

I'm getting this installed today. I'll post pictures and an updat in a couple of days.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:54 PM
Instructor

Can't wait to hear details and see the pics Xit .. Let us know!
Old 01-03-2006, 10:15 PM
tuning / modding newbie.

i did a "soft" install in my car and it works wonderfully.

and when i play a "movie" i hear the audio come over the movie. I think if I get the dock connector, and set the Ipod to "TV Out" it just might work...

the control over the ipod is supperb. it really is the solution we've been looking for (sans the use of the navi screen)

and the blue ring around the controller complements the OEM interior lights perfectly. it looks AMAZING at night.

the only thing is where to put the controller. there is not one place on the center armrest or consle to place the controller. I have it inbetween the seat warmer controls right now (i have an AT) and the horizontal mount option, which I feel is perfect, but it doesn't fit quite right. it extends a little bit of each side. but it doesn't look bad at all. but i want a more "oem" look to it.

I've just been trying out other places before I deside to drill holes and hardwire the thing.

the controller is mounted right above the central display, and it's not large enough to see out of place. I though at first I could place it in the storage areas in the bottom, but it doesn't fit. :-( and in all reality, it is more user friendly on the dash.

but it really is an amazing product.

i'lll post pics when I get it installed.

PS. if i want to do this myself... (which I probably wont) is there a DIY guide to removing the headunit to gain access to wires and such?
Old 01-03-2006, 10:55 PM
Cruisin'

I don't have pics up yet, but I had the controller mounted in the forward cup holder, raised so it just fits under the closing door. The display is mountedto the right of the head unit above the glove box, mounted to the side of the center console. Looks good, I'll post pics, hopefully tomoorw.

Old 01-04-2006, 08:04 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sequoia,

Where did you mount your display? You mentioned your controller twice, I'm assuming the second "controller" is the display yes?

How are you doing the hard-wired sound input to the head unit?
Old 01-04-2006, 12:14 PM
tuning / modding newbie.

i think i'm going to mount the display right above the head unit in front of the center speaker. it's not a large display at all and doesnt distract from the TL's lines. I've been trying out different places with a "soft" install, and the onlyh other place where I could tihing it could be useable would be right below the left vent on the drivers side. there's a patch of empty space there. there I think it would keep the TL looking the most natural, but it's not nearly as usable... and I have this thing about symmetrical lines... everything has to be either centered or balanced...

I looked at removing the housing from the display and housing the LCD in the storage below the headunit. but I don't have another 200 to spend if i break this one... lol

I could take pictures of it today if you like, but remember i haven't "hard installed" it yet because I want to find the right places for it before I start drilling holes in my car.

i just wish there was a beter place for the actual controller.. it looks amazing at night....

I'll take pictures. but remember it's not finished...
Old 01-04-2006, 12:20 PM
Team Anthracite Member

I'd love to see pictures just to get an idea of how big it is relative to the rest of the interior. Thanks!
Old 01-04-2006, 12:52 PM
Cruisin'

Pics

Here are the pics of my setup. Please excuse the amatuer Photography, I was in a hurry.:

A "Dark" shot:
[IMG][/IMG]

The Setup:

[IMG][/IMG]

The Display:
[IMG][/IMG]

Display Again:

[IMG][/IMG]

Controller Setup:

[IMG][/IMG]

I hope this works, it's my first time posting pics here

If I get a chance this weekend, I'll shoot more pics and post.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:56 PM
Team Anthracite Member

XitWound, looks awesome!

Just the controller placement is a bummer since it uses up a cupholder...

Is the display backlit at all times so it's easy to read at night?
Old 01-04-2006, 01:00 PM
Cruisin'

I only use one drink at a time, so I din't mind losing the cup holder

The backlight timing can be set to always on, always off, or on for 10 seconds. It looks fantastic at night, fits well with the rest of the interior...If I can get a clear night shot I'll post it.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:03 PM
Team Anthracite Member

And you can read the display even though it's "way" over there?
Old 01-04-2006, 01:58 PM
Cruisin'

Hey, I'm 40, but my eyesight isn't THAT bad. No problem reading the display....you can also make an adjustment on the unit to dosplay large fonts, but I don't need it.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:45 PM
4th Gear

I am getting the Harmon Kardon installed this week

I think I am going to get that Harmon Kardon link installed at circuit city located two blocks from my house. They are charging $78 for the install and $199 for the HK link. Not as cheap as what others are apparently are getting charged but the installer is conveniently located.

Old 01-04-2006, 03:57 PM
tuning / modding newbie.

i have pictures, but it's from my treo 650 so they suck....

i'm gonna upload them right now.

DISCLAIMER- there are wires everywear... i just want more opinions on where to install it...
Old 01-04-2006, 04:02 PM
tuning / modding newbie.

here you go...

sorry for the sh1tty pictures... my fiance "borrowed" my digital camera...

Old 01-04-2006, 04:03 PM
tuning / modding newbie.

no.. i'm not leaving the tape... LOL
Old 01-04-2006, 05:44 PM
tuning / modding newbie.

Originally Posted by zax123
sequoia,

Where did you mount your display? You mentioned your controller twice, I'm assuming the second "controller" is the display yes?

How are you doing the hard-wired sound input to the head unit?
and Yes I will be hardwiring it as soon as I get the right place.

and I decide which interface I'm going to use. blitzsafe or soundgate. or than new alternative P.I.E.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:37 PM
Instructor

I thought the website for it was pretty informative

http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/default2.aspx
Old 01-05-2006, 11:34 PM
Racer

xit wound---that looks awesome. How did you install it? Or who did it and how much was it? I would put it in my car if it looked like that...
Old 01-06-2006, 12:55 AM
Racer

XitWound, nice install of the HK. Do you know how the audio was connected? Do you still have XM? Also, don't you think it's time to remove the "How to Load a CD" sticker. ;-)

jjh1234
Old 01-06-2006, 08:22 AM
Cruisin'

more info about my install can be found here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/truepoker-com-128199/

Regarding the CD install sticker...I leave it there for my wife because she doesn't drive my car very often.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:30 AM
Advanced

I just got a quote from Tweeter. They quoted me $530 for parts and labor.

Drive + Play
PAC AAI-HON AUX Input

Is this price reasonable? XitWound got it done at $405. The only difference here is the PAC has 2 AUX inputs.

Is Tweeter reliable?
Old 01-09-2006, 09:48 PM
Instructor

I'd be curious about Tweeter (Sound Advice local to me) as well. The one by me supposedly does some major installed on some high-end cars. I'm just hesitant to let anyone else rip apart my dash.

I have the service manual. It can't be all that hard to do yourself with the manual could it?
Old 01-10-2006, 07:34 AM
Team Anthracite Member

How much are people paying for the Drive+Play? I clicked "Buy it Now" on eBay yesterday at $169 with free shipping. But he didn't accept Canadian eBay'ers. Yet! So is that a good price? I'll be doing the install myself...

btw: Do we all know that the Drive+Play won Best Innovation award at CES 2006 last week?
Old 01-11-2006, 08:41 AM
Advanced

I've never done anything with cars. The most I've ever done is installing a dish washer. And it took me 3.5 hours to remove the old one and install the new one. iTISTIC, do you think I can install it myself with zero car experience? Since I also need to install the Blitzsafe converter.

Zax123, you may want to compare local canadian prices first. I sold a box of LEGO (US$200) to Canada and my buyer told me the custom collected US$45 duty from him.

There's no deal in US too. Everywhere is selling this for $200.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:46 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Hey bert,

I always order from the states and have it shipped to my warehouse in New York. They ship it up on a kid and I never pay any duty. I found the Drive+Play for $169 on eBay with free shipping, so that's pretty awesome!
Old 01-11-2006, 01:52 PM
Advanced

Drive + Play doesn't support Unicode

Just confirmed by the technical support team of Harman/Kardon that the current model of Drive + Play doesn't support Unicode. They said the future model should support Unicode.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:56 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Question is... will the firmware be upgradeable?
Old 01-27-2006, 11:30 PM
Instructor

Would the Drive and Play work on the 2006 TL? I don't want to do any transmitter type, but want a direct connect so it'll keep the sound quality. How much should I be paying for it? What type of connection would I need for my 2006 TL sound system and will I lose XM or any other things on the stock sound system?
Old 01-28-2006, 01:03 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by sybaek3
Would the Drive and Play work on the 2006 TL? I don't want to do any transmitter type, but want a direct connect so it'll keep the sound quality. How much should I be paying for it? What type of connection would I need for my 2006 TL sound system and will I lose XM or any other things on the stock sound system?
I'm instaling a D+P early next month. Just ordered the P.I.E. X-3 adapter to piggypack on the XM radio. The PIE adapter adds a selector switch so you can choose XM or another audio source. You can actually add THREE audio sources. It should work on the 2006 TL (I have an '05). I'm installing the D+P controller in the forward cupholder. The input selector will probably go in the lower cubby hole - haven't determined that yet.

The installer is going to fashion a form fitting pedestal for my D+P and mount the screen on the dash between the instrument pod and center console. This puts the screen in your forward line of vision. (At least it looks good sticking out like a sore thumb) All told, the D+P cost me $200 and the PIE adapter with Acura cable cost me 85. Installation is going to run another $200, but well worth it. This solution beats the pants off the Acura Music Link.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:59 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by sybaek3
The Drive+Play basically works on any car because it doesn't interface directly with the head unit by itself. You have to get a separate unit to do that. However, the Drive+Play does come standard with a wireless FM transmitter, but most wireless FM setups sound terrible. You'd have to get a Blitzsafe or Soundgate or PIE adapter to get sound into the OEM head unit. But with or without that, the Drive+Play will work on any TL to date.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:14 PM
Cruisin'

Beat you to it!!

Originally Posted by jimmyjet
I'm instaling a D+P early next month. Just ordered the P.I.E. X-3 adapter to piggypack on the XM radio. The PIE adapter adds a selector switch so you can choose XM or another audio source. You can actually add THREE audio sources. It should work on the 2006 TL (I have an '05). I'm installing the D+P controller in the forward cupholder. The input selector will probably go in the lower cubby hole - haven't determined that yet.

The installer is going to fashion a form fitting pedestal for my D+P and mount the screen on the dash between the instrument pod and center console. This puts the screen in your forward line of vision. (At least it looks good sticking out like a sore thumb) All told, the D+P cost me $200 and the PIE adapter with Acura cable cost me 85. Installation is going to run another $200, but well worth it. This solution beats the pants off the Acura Music Link.
I had the exact same setup installed last saturday...HK Drive Play and PIE X3. I have a 2005 TL NON-NAV...It Works much better than the Acura Music Link. Check out my pix (hope i did this correctly...first time posting pix)...Any questions???

Old 01-31-2006, 12:57 AM
Advanced

Great Post!

Originally Posted by bh1906
I had the exact same setup installed last saturday...HK Drive Play and PIE X3. I have a 2005 TL NON-NAV...It Works much better than the Acura Music Link. Check out my pix (hope i did this correctly...first time posting pix)...Any questions???
bh1906,

Excellent first post! I'm not sure I'd put the selector switch in the same place as you did, but the install is clean nonetheless! Very nice indeed. I rarely use the cigarette lighter cubby, so that's where I was planning to install the selector switch. It's easy to get to and I can keep it hidden. My Treo sits in the arm rest to charge. If I put the X3 switch in there, is there a chance my cell phone can bump the buttons and change the input selector?

Last night I realized I did not test out my D+P before bringing it in to my installer. Lo and behold, it was defective. :angryfire The unit was probably fine, but the iPod connector cable was clearly damaged. I couldn't control my iPod, but the audio got through okay. I even drove to a friend's house to check it on his. Both of us had the right firmware, so I took the D+P back. Circuit City staff gave me no static on an even trade. The new one works perfectly.

Professional installations are expensive people! It's easy to test the D+P yourself, so make sure it works. Once they get the D+P brain behind the console, it's not very easy to get to. BTW, where did you end up putting yours? Behind the glove box?
Old 01-31-2006, 06:46 AM
Team Anthracite Member

bh1906,

That is a VERY nice looking setup. I received my D+P yesterday and will be installing it this week sometime. I was wondering if you could take a close-up picture (with a lot of light) of the hole they made for the wire coming from the display. It looks very neat.

Also, I was wondering how they built the support for the controller in the cupholder... What material did they use to raise it up like that, do you know?

In any case, great install!

Rob
Old 01-31-2006, 09:23 AM
Cruisin'

bh1906,

Excellent first post! I'm not sure I'd put the selector switch in the same place as you did, but the install is clean nonetheless! Very nice indeed. I rarely use the cigarette lighter cubby, so that's where I was planning to install the selector switch. It's easy to get to and I can keep it hidden. My Treo sits in the arm rest to charge. If I put the X3 switch in there, is there a chance my cell phone can bump the buttons and change the input selector?

Last night I realized I did not test out my D+P before bringing it in to my installer. Lo and behold, it was defective. :angryfire The unit was probably fine, but the iPod connector cable was clearly damaged. I couldn't control my iPod, but the audio got through okay. I even drove to a friend's house to check it on his. Both of us had the right firmware, so I took the D+P back. Circuit City staff gave me no static on an even trade. The new one works perfectly.

Professional installations are expensive people! It's easy to test the D+P yourself, so make sure it works. Once they get the D+P brain behind the console, it's not very easy to get to. BTW, where did you end up putting yours? Behind the glove box?
I put the brain of the D+P behind the Console...i didn't think of putting it behind the glove box...i may move it later. A friend of mine, who is a professional installer at Circuit city (used to mangage a local Tweeter), helped me with the install. We also put the Brain for the PIE X3 on the right side of the center console under the carpet...if you were sitting in the passenger seat...it would be near your knee.

Over all i'm happy with the install.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:27 AM
Cruisin'

Belkin TuneDok Car Holder for iPod

bh1906,

That is a VERY nice looking setup. I received my D+P yesterday and will be installing it this week sometime. I was wondering if you could take a close-up picture (with a lot of light) of the hole they made for the wire coming from the display. It looks very neat.

Also, I was wondering how they built the support for the controller in the cupholder... What material did they use to raise it up like that, do you know?

In any case, great install!

Rob
I'll take more pics soon...The support used to raise the controller was a Belkin TuneDok Car Holder for iPod

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=193778

I used the larger one...I'll take picks of that as well
Old 01-31-2006, 09:28 AM
Cruisin'

bh1906,

Can you post pics of yours when your done
Old 01-31-2006, 10:05 AM
Team Anthracite Member

So you basically just found something that fits in a cup holder... OK, I'll try the local Best Buy for something like that. Cool...

Thanks for taking other pics when you get a chance.

I'll definitely take pics of my install when I'm done.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:08 PM
Cruisin'

So you basically just found something that fits in a cup holder... OK, I'll try the local Best Buy for something like that. Cool...

Thanks for taking other pics when you get a chance.

I'll definitely take pics of my install when I'm done.
Yes...here are more pics of the cup holder and close-up of the wire from the screen to the dash.

Quick Reply: Drive+Play, audio inputs, and Lots of questions....