Dom's Navi Converter & Backup Camera Install (Pics Too!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 01:21 AM
Tint The Windshield

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking Dom's Navi Converter & Backup Camera Install (Pics Too!)

I didn't see any other threads directly posting pics and info. on a finished product of Navi to DVD install, etc. so I made this.

06 TL with Navi. ... Dom's Navi Pnp Navi-to-DVD converter, etc.

1. Dom's Plug-n-play Navi Converter.
2. Accele Vision 8500 DVD player
3. Wendy from Ebay's small camera
4. Tweeter's hard wired FM modulator instead of Dom's
5. Didn't use TV antenna from Dom.

Install was a few hundred I believe. I can't remember right now. It's 2:00 am, haha. But after it ALL was said and done. I paid $1,010 for EVERYTHING installed. The install is perfect .. so I can't complain.

Small DVD player fits in the glove box:

Start up screen:

Nighttime pic of DVD player:

Remote compared to cell phone size:

Camera install: You cannot see the camera at all standing behind the car. You actually have to like bend down and look up above the license plate to see it. It's great. It's like the width of a quarter. Hard/impossible to use if its raining real hard ... but that's fine ... I dont mind looking in the mirrors every now and then. Also, the night time pics are good as well. But never took those pics. It's a great product.

Camera View Pics On Navi Screen:

DVD Pics:

Red Eye Sensor for DVD player remote: This is the 1st compartment under the radio.

Can't get any better than this ... I wish I had this when I bought the stuff. And the Navi converter unit is mounted on the right side of the trunk behind the lining.

Good luck guys!
Old 05-05-2006, 02:15 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
You must be really proud. You hit two handful of threads and added link in each one to this one.

Is that allowed?!

Indeed a clean install. I especially like how the rear camera is hidden.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:49 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thats a real clean install...im looking to do the same setup. i was looking into the accell dvd player too but wondered about the quality, how is it? and did u buy it from dom? Thanks and congrads on the new setup

Travis
Old 05-05-2006, 11:10 AM
Tint The Windshield

Arrow

Originally Posted by datmrman
You must be really proud. You hit two handful of threads and added link in each one to this one.

Is that allowed?!

Indeed a clean install. I especially like how the rear camera is hidden.
Not really proud of it ... just wanted to help out the Acura crew get answers to their stuff. When I bought this .. there was a lot of talk and stuff. But not any pics of the stuff. I know, like a lot of other guys on here, that they like to research everything to the max that they are about to spend their money on. So at 3am when I couldn't sleep ... i went a lil crazy, lol. Thanks tho man! - Peace

Originally Posted by Acuracy
thats a real clean install...im looking to do the same setup. i was looking into the accell dvd player too but wondered about the quality, how is it? and did u buy it from dom? Thanks and congrads on the new setup

Travis
Thanks. Yeah, I didn't think something like Accele would make something really good ... but it is actually REAL NICE. I can't complain. My installer said that the tv's they make are good ... so I figured I'd stick with that player just for the fact that it would play at a 90 degree angle upright in the glove box ... and that 2- bc they make other good products. I could have easily just returned that and got an Alpine or something ... but I had to have it in the glovebox and wasn't going to go through this whole deal trying to get something that wasn't in stock with my installed. So yes it's a good dvd player ... and yes I got it from Dom. Thanks!

Old 05-05-2006, 01:34 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Originally Posted by AcurasGhost
Not really proud of it ... just wanted to help out the Acura crew get answers to their stuff. When I bought this .. there was a lot of talk and stuff. But not any pics of the stuff. I know, like a lot of other guys on here, that they like to research everything to the max that they are about to spend their money on. So at 3am when I couldn't sleep ... i went a lil crazy, lol. Thanks tho man! - Peace

Thanks. Yeah, I didn't think something like Accele would make something really good ... but it is actually REAL NICE. I can't complain. My installer said that the tv's they make are good ... so I figured I'd stick with that player just for the fact that it would play at a 90 degree angle upright in the glove box ... and that 2- bc they make other good products. I could have easily just returned that and got an Alpine or something ... but I had to have it in the glovebox and wasn't going to go through this whole deal trying to get something that wasn't in stock with my installed. So yes it's a good dvd player ... and yes I got it from Dom. Thanks!

Hey Nick who installed this for you ? I asked you at the meet but now I cant remember. Tweeter?
Old 05-08-2006, 09:42 PM
Tint The Windshield

Originally Posted by xtin
Hey Nick who installed this for you ? I asked you at the meet but now I cant remember. Tweeter?
Yes, Tweeter (In Vienna, VA NOT Rockville, MD) installed everything. The name of the installer was Jesse. I took it to them because the installer knew what he was talking about and I just wasn't feeling the Rockville crew there. So I drove the extra mileage to get it done right the 1st time around!

The prices went as follows:

Labor for DVD player install: $50
Labor for Back up camera: $75
Labor for Dom's Plug-n-play Nav Device: $100
FM Modulator from Tweeter: $54
Labor for FM Modulator install: $50

Grand Total For Install: $331.67

For Dom's package the prices was $505 for the PnP device, DVD player, and shipping. I bought it with the TV antenna's and his wireless FM modulater, but returned those two things because 1-I didn't think I'd get good reception where I live with the TV tuner and 2-I wanted to hard wire the FM modulator.

Grand Total From Dom: $505

Camera from Wendy C. on Ebay: $129.00 shipped.

Super Grand Total (haha) for EVERYTHING installed: $ $965

Today I took my car back to Tweeter to get them to add a brace to the back of the glove box. There was a very tiny rattle because the back of our glove box's are real shaky to start with. But now it's perfect! No rattle at all. So make sure you get them to put that on as well! MARK put that on.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:35 AM
Forced Induction

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Great clean install..........I have a similar outcome, except I will be using the license frame backup camera, and I got a Valor DVD player which was a tad too big to go into the glove box, I have it mounted in the trunk. It sucks when you have to change the DVD, but I rather it that way so I don't try to do anything foolish while driving. I can still control everything with the remote, including the TV channels.......

I have an aplified Valor antena that I need to install as well.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:33 AM
Can You Feel It?

Nice install AcuraGhost....I like it a lot...by the way what were the red and silver switches in the glove box for?
Old 05-09-2006, 11:06 PM
Cruisin'

How much is the accelevision dvd player alone? Does it play mp3?
Old 05-10-2006, 12:23 AM
Safety Car

The prices went as follows:
Super Grand Total (haha) for EVERYTHING installed: $ $965
AcurasGhost, in your parts and pricing list, you didn't mention anything about power. Dom, the DVD, and the camera requires power. How are you providing power to these devices? Thanks.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:36 AM
Cruisin'

Yes, Tweeter (In Vienna, VA NOT Rockville, MD) installed everything.
Is this the Tweeter in the shopping plaza on Route 7 by Panera and Mr. Smith's? I was actually considering a visit there for some of my installation needs...
Old 05-10-2006, 09:49 AM
Tint The Windshield

Post Answers To Questions

Originally Posted by FuZionBreeZe
What were the red and silver switches in the glove box for?
The red switch is to turn on/off the sound from the FM modulator. (The FM Modulator is what allows the DVD players sound to flow to your cars speakers). Then other silver switch is to turn on and off the video feed to the Navigation screen.

Originally Posted by JamesP
How much is the accelevision dvd player alone? Does it play mp3?
No idea how much it would be alone. Probably less than $200 I would guess. Not sure if it plays MP3 yet ... i didn't even bother messing with it, haha. I'll let you know...

Originally Posted by datmrman
AcurasGhost, in your parts and pricing list, you didn't mention anything about power. Dom, the DVD, and the camera requires power. How are you providing power to these devices? Thanks.
I have no idea how he hooked up the power to anything. I would probably guess the backup camera's power is hooked up to one of the taillights power wire so then once power is being fed to it ... it overrides the Navi screen with the backup camera's image. That's just my guess for that particular part tho.

Originally Posted by Hatch100
Is this the Tweeter in the shopping plaza on Route 7 by Panera and Mr. Smith's? I was actually considering a visit there for some of my installation needs...
Exactly right! That's the one! Talk to Jesse (the installer).
Old 05-10-2006, 10:12 AM
Forced Induction

datmrman: For the power, yes you need power for dom's unit, and the dvd player, also for the tvt tuner antena if you are planning on using an amplified antena.

Basically, what you do is go to autozone, get a "mini fuse add a circuit" pig tail, run it from the ACC fuse port all the way in the back on the very top row, which would power the DVD and Dom's unit, run the power to the trunk or wherever you need it, and you are done.

I opted not to tap into the OEM navi wires at all, even for power, and I grounded everything on the sheet metal on the side by the navigation unit in the trunk.

Using the ACC for power, also cuts power when the keys are removed......so you dont have to worry about it draining the battery dry over long periods of time, or forgetting to turn the DVD player off, it goes off with the keys.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:18 PM
Safety Car

Thanks DeadLock for the insight!

I was just thinking of using that extra cig adapter in the side storage console, but I don't know if power shuts off when the keys are removed.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:19 PM
Forced Induction

the add a circuit is a real easy approach, the side plastic snaps right out, and the rear seats bottom pops right out, thats all you need to feed all the wiring along side of the car to the back and trunk.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:21 AM
06 Antracite/Ebony 6MT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DeadLock
the add a circuit is a real easy approach, the side plastic snaps right out, and the rear seats bottom pops right out, thats all you need to feed all the wiring along side of the car to the back and trunk.

What side plastic are you talking about? Do you have to have any special tools to pop it out? And rear seats too? I've got one of Dom's units but haven't installed it because I been trying to figure out how to run power to the trunk. Is your DVD running off the DC source also? I figured I'd have to have an inverter once I ran power to the trunk.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:51 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by DeadLock
I opted not to tap into the OEM navi wires at all, even for power, and I grounded everything on the sheet metal on the side by the navigation unit in the trunk.
I'm planning a similar install. Still waiting for the backup camera and the PNP harness but I have everything else.

If I'm following you correctly, the only factory wire that you need to tap will be the backup light so that the image will automatically switch when you go into reverse, right?

Also, are people wiring their backup camera power so that it's constantly on or are you tapping into the the backup light so that it's only powered when the car is in reverse? I remember reading somewhere that there's a limited lifespan on the camera and having it powered only when you need it will make it last longer.