Does anyone have ViperStart?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 09:13 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone have ViperStart?

I was quoted about $460 when I contacted Bestbuy for the install and $950 when I talke to AudioTech. The guy at AudioTech was saying that I would need like 3 or 4 additional components for everything to work properly. I am not sure but it sounded to me as if he was trying to jack up the price. He said that it was so that all the doors would unlock and an additional $50 for the trunk to open. This sounded bogus, so I would like to know if anyone else ran into this?
I have also heard mixed reviews on the system and would like to know of your experiences with it.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:44 PM
Intermediate

I am guessing the Quaote from Best Buy doesn't include a Bypass module or the labor to hook it up. not to mention they will charge to hook up locks and trunk and any other option you might want. Be carful when pricing out Alarms and Remotes starts at Big Box stores.
On a side note the Warrenty from a big box will not be as convent as a small mom and pop place. Not to mention typicaly better istallers are found at the smaller more custom shops than Big Box stores, not saying that you won't find them there just less likly to.

I am in the North West and would be more than happy to help you out with finding a good shop to install your equitment.....

I worked for the Guy who owns Foss(Tacoma) and Hitech (kent) now I work for Firstech LLC...

PM me if you have any specific questions

Last edited by CarologistFB; 04-13-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:57 PM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
you are not getting scammed, the Viper smartstart is only the GSM module that allows your car to receive commands from your phone. You still need the actual Viper Alarm/Auto starter kit for the Smartstart to be connected to.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:05 PM
2nd Gear

Which model were you looking to have installed??? I am actually and installer at Best Buy, and I can tell you exactly what you should be quoted. If you buy a Viper from Best Buy, basic labor is included in the price. You do need a bypass and it does cost extra to put that in. As far as 4 other parts to make everything work, looks like they just want more money.

I would recommend using an FLCAN from audiovox as a bypass. It is capable of controlling lock, unlock, door and trunk trigger, hood pin, tach trunk release along with immobilizer bypass. It makes the install easier for the installers because its most of the wiring is done on the bench and not in the car. The FLCAN is $100 at Best Buy, but you can probably find it for less on amazon or some other online retailer.

With all that said, you shouldn't spend more than $700 for all parts and labor with Best Buy, and you'll get a lifetime warranty on the actual viper and the install. Only thing not covered under lifetime warranty are the remotes, 1 year only. If you go with a mom and pop shop, just make sure they are an authorized directed retailer to make sure you get your lifetime warranty on your viper.

Now if you want extra sensors or window/sunroof mods, then you need more parts and labor. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:34 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ch33sE1
Viper smartstart is only the GSM module that allows your car to receive commands from your phone.
Not True www.dronemobile.com is also a gsm system that will also add gps tracking.

Originally Posted by Bobsox11
Which model were you looking to have installed??? I am actually and installer at Best Buy, and I can tell you exactly what you should be quoted. If you buy a Viper from Best Buy, basic labor is included in the price. You do need a bypass and it does cost extra to put that in. As far as 4 other parts to make everything work, looks like they just want more money.

I would recommend using an FLCAN from audiovox as a bypass. It is capable of controlling lock, unlock, door and trunk trigger, hood pin, tach trunk release along with immobilizer bypass. It makes the install easier for the installers because its most of the wiring is done on the bench and not in the car. The FLCAN is $100 at Best Buy, but you can probably find it for less on amazon or some other online retailer.

With all that said, you shouldn't spend more than $700 for all parts and labor with Best Buy, and you'll get a lifetime warranty on the actual viper and the install. Only thing not covered under lifetime warranty are the remotes, 1 year only. If you go with a mom and pop shop, just make sure they are an authorized directed retailer to make sure you get your lifetime warranty on your viper.

Now if you want extra sensors or window/sunroof mods, then you need more parts and labor. Let me know if you have any questions.
As an Installer of ten and now an employee of Firstech a manufacture of alarms and Remote starts. Bobsox11 is correct on the parts you need. you will need the alarm or remote start and the telematics piece if you wish to start/lock/unlock with your phone, and some sort of bypass. Any questions we got you covered.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:37 PM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Received 187 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by carologist
Not True www.dronemobile.com is also a gsm system that will also add gps tracking.

he didn't say it was the only one. he said the Smartstart is ONLY THE GSM feature as in not the alarm as well.

ONLY THE > THE ONLY...
Old 04-13-2011, 11:53 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by InFaMouSLink
he didn't say it was the only one. he said the Smartstart is ONLY THE GSM feature as in not the alarm as well.

ONLY THE > THE ONLY...
I stand Corrected and Apologize
Old 04-14-2011, 04:42 PM
05 WDP 6MT

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
im an installer at best buy and i have the unit in my car.

if you want a full blown alarm and remote start, then the quote is sorta accurate.

its $500 installed for the viper 5901 alarm/remote start system.
its $200 for the smartstart module
its $60 to install the smart start (unless they just wave that fee because its all the same install)
and its $160 for the remote start bypass installed

of course all this can be had for alot less. i did the install myself of course and i spent about $300 for all the equipment. keep in mind you need to pay for the service thats $50 a year, or $100 for 3 yrs if you buy it as a bundle.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:10 PM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

I thought we couldn't activate the smartstart anymore. It had to be by a directed authorized vendor??
Old 04-14-2011, 07:08 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by InFaMouSLink
I thought we couldn't activate the smartstart anymore. It had to be by a directed authorized vendor??
Correct, unless you know someone who works for an authorized vendor like Best Buy...

BoricuaTL has the prices at Best Buy down right, I didn't include the price of the SmartStart module in my original post.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:26 PM
Cruisin'

All these replies. The guy at AudioTech told me that the Vipper VSS5000 was $550 and that it came with the alarm, remote, and smartstart module. So all I should need is the bypass module. Now with that being said I found out that best buy quoted me the price for install for the VSS3000 which they sell for $300. It includes basic install fee with the $300 and they told me that $160 for the bypass module installed. They don't sell the VSS5000 they sell the VSS4000 which is no longer advertised. Anyone know the difference between the 4000 and 5000?
Old 04-14-2011, 07:26 PM
Cruisin'

Oh and it now comes with the first year free when purchased.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:52 PM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

the VSS5000 or 3000 are the cheap alarms. not the 5901 we were pricing/talking about. Your price of the Vss5000 seems right tho.

I wouldn't get it tho. i'd rather get the better alarm... A FULL alarm..
Old 04-14-2011, 10:01 PM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

BoricuaTL, where you located?

i Plan on installing my own 5901 then having a shop install the smartstart. i just looked on bestbuy and saw its 200 basic install or 300 with remote start? i'll already have the bypass installed with the 5901 so i could just get the $200 install? its basically just the bitwriter port connection anyways right? nothing more to it than activating it right.

thanks.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:44 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for clearing that up, so now I see that the AudioTech guy was jacking the price a little because he said that the VSS5000 came with the 5901 as its alarm. I think I will just get an alarm and add smartstart to that.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:48 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by SnowFlake06TL
I was quoted about $460 when I contacted Bestbuy for the install and $950 when I talke to AudioTech. The guy at AudioTech was saying that I would need like 3 or 4 additional components for everything to work properly. I am not sure but it sounded to me as if he was trying to jack up the price. He said that it was so that all the doors would unlock and an additional $50 for the trunk to open. This sounded bogus, so I would like to know if anyone else ran into this?
I have also heard mixed reviews on the system and would like to know of your experiences with it.
Got the vipersmart start from best buy. No alarms, they are annoying. Love it. Hooked it up to my android phone and can remote start from anywhere I get mobile signal.