Does 07 TL w/Navi import any phonebooks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 09:26 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does 07 TL w/Navi import any phonebooks?

I know the option is there, but it doesn't work with RAZR or many of the ones I checked online from Acura site.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:44 AM
Advanced

It doesn't with my LG, either.

Go to handsfreelink.com for a list of phones that are supported. Wish I had done this before I bought my phone several weeks before taking delivery of my S.

Here's another limit: Whereas the nav system holds 1000 names 10K numbers, the MID only holds 50 which isn't much if you have a wide group of friends or if you use the car for business.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:53 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
It's not a phone issue, it's the HFL system.

The HFL system doesn't have the ability to download address books. The only way it can be populated is by verbally (at least that's how it's in the RL) entring the voice tag and the number.

My Toyota Land Cruiser does what your asking, but the voice recognition/BT interface is so bad in that thing it makes me appreciate Acura's system so much more.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:58 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by GoHawks

The HFL system doesn't have the ability to download address books. The only way it can be populated is by verbally (at least that's how it's in the RL) entring the voice tag and the number.

My Toyota Land Cruiser does what your asking, but the voice recognition/BT interface is so bad in that thing it makes me appreciate Acura's system so much more.
You're incorrect,

The '07 TL has a new feature called "Phone Book Access Profile" which is a new Bluetooth profile not yet included in many phones.

So far, only some Sony phones include the new profile.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:00 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by GoHawks

No, not exactly, at least for the '07's. The main menu has an option for Cell Phones and, under that, for importing a cell phone book. Unfortunately, very few phones are supported.

Now, you mentioned "address books", not specifically "phone" books. Is this what you meant, or is there another feature of the nav you're referring to?
Old 12-24-2006, 10:10 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by violarx
No, not exactly, at least for the '07's. The main menu has an option for Cell Phones and, under that, for importing a cell phone book. Unfortunately, very few phones are supported.

Now, you mentioned "address books", not specifically "phone" books. Is this what you meant, or is there another feature of the nav you're referring to?
No I meant phone books. I mistyped.

So that must be new. I stand corrected.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:45 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
It worked with my Sony T637 when I test drove the Type S last week. A very nice upgrade--even separates out the numbers by type (home, work, cel, fax) like my phone does. It took maybe 2 minutes for it to synch up. Will be deciding this week whether to go for the 07 TL-S or the 07 G35X--moving from my 04 TL, which has been the best car I have owned.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:15 AM
Advanced

The TL 2007 does have the ability to import phonebookds into the Cellular phonebook of the HFL. However, most phones, except a few SonyErickson do not have the export/transfer capability. So, you are left to entering the phone numbers verbally, which is really quite a task. There are ofter mistakes in the number and you have to start all over.
Old 12-24-2006, 04:27 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by reisb
I know the option is there, but it doesn't work with RAZR or many of the ones I checked online from Acura site.
I purchased a used SonyEricsson phone, connected it to my pc, sent all my contacts and blue toothed them to my 2007 TLs.

Since Sony phones blow and I have a BB Pearl from work which is a great phone, I had no intention of changing.

I said in another thread that this did not work, but when I re-established the link with my Blackberry it worked fine.

Now I will tell you the interface for this feature on the TL if weak, you need to go through a long set of menus every time to find a number and it does not use the phone numbers for caller ID for incoming calls or for NAVaddresses, but that being said, I now have the couple of hundred numbers loaded on.

So I will give it a C-

You can get a compatible SE phone on EBAY for $80.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:26 PM
1st Gear

Bluetooth and ipod questions

what is the procedure for connecting the phone to the PC and then sending it by Bluetooth to the car? I just took delivery of a 2007 TL Type S and there doesn't appear to be any phone that allow downloading of a phonebook.
The US model has a cable gor connection to the IPOD. The Canadian model (me)
has an input jack in the centre console. Is the cable needed the same?
In any case. I love the car. Too bad that it doesn't have a power steering wheel like the Maxima or the Infiniti. I chose the Acura over the G35X.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf
It worked with my Sony T637 when I test drove the Type S last week. A very nice upgrade--even separates out the numbers by type (home, work, cel, fax) like my phone does. It took maybe 2 minutes for it to synch up. Will be deciding this week whether to go for the 07 TL-S or the 07 G35X--moving from my 04 TL, which has been the best car I have owned.
good to hear on that feature......give us a thread on which you buy and pros and cons....
Old 12-31-2006, 03:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by gemhadar00
what is the procedure for connecting the phone to the PC and then sending it by Bluetooth to the car? I just took delivery of a 2007 TL Type S and there doesn't appear to be any phone that allow downloading of a phonebook.
The US model has a cable gor connection to the IPOD. The Canadian model (me)
has an input jack in the centre console. Is the cable needed the same?
In any case. I love the car. Too bad that it doesn't have a power steering wheel like the Maxima or the Infiniti. I chose the Acura over the G35X.

Rogers is the only provider I can find that offers Sony phones and the models they offer don't appear on the Acura mini site as supporting Phonebook Transfers.

I'm waiting for a software upgrade for my Motorolla Q that will enable the PBAP on my phone.

The Ipod cable you're referring to is the Acura MusicLink, a dealer installed option. Do a search for users experience before you lay our $500.00cnd for it. I think you're better off using the 1/8' jack in the center console.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:16 AM
Advanced

The Motorola phones do not have the possibility to export contacts to the HFL. As far as I know only SonyErickson phones have that capability.

Apparently, some Motorola software exist that would activate that function on the Motorola phones. See the message received from Motorola after many enquiries:

"Thank you for contacting Motorola support, we appreciate your request and also we apologize for any inconvenience you may experience with your product.

Regarding your inquiry, in order to qualify the OBEX file transfer (Bluetooth profile that support the transfer of data between phone and other devices) on the phone, the unit it self have to be update to a new software version GATW_01.18.02

This new update for CDMA Razr is been release on the market a couple of weeks ago in United State, and maybe available in Canada at this moment, the main new feature of the update is to reset the restrictions of the device, over Bluetooth."

However, I have been unable to find out where I can get this software. One reply from Motorola was that the software was already available in Motorola Phone Tools. I downloaded this software but that only allows to transfer contacts from computer to phone.

If anyone knows where that software is available, I would appreciate it.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:25 PM
Instructor

Try here:

http://ryfiles.com/flash/
Old 01-02-2007, 07:13 AM
Advanced

http://ryfiles.com/flash/

Tried that site but it does not have the GATW_01.18.02 software listed there.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:34 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Paul2007
The Motorola phones do not have the possibility to export contacts to the HFL. As far as I know only SonyErickson phones have that capability.

Apparently, some Motorola software exist that would activate that function on the Motorola phones. See the message received from Motorola after many enquiries:

"Thank you for contacting Motorola support, we appreciate your request and also we apologize for any inconvenience you may experience with your product.

Regarding your inquiry, in order to qualify the OBEX file transfer (Bluetooth profile that support the transfer of data between phone and other devices) on the phone, the unit it self have to be update to a new software version GATW_01.18.02

This new update for CDMA Razr is been release on the market a couple of weeks ago in United State, and maybe available in Canada at this moment, the main new feature of the update is to reset the restrictions of the device, over Bluetooth."

However, I have been unable to find out where I can get this software. One reply from Motorola was that the software was already available in Motorola Phone Tools. I downloaded this software but that only allows to transfer contacts from computer to phone.

If anyone knows where that software is available, I would appreciate it.
I have Phone Tools, but it just upgraded the phone tools software from version 4.21 to 4.36. What needs to be updated to GATW_01.18.02? Is that RAZR software? Anyone have ideas?
Old 01-02-2007, 11:15 AM
'17 RDX Tech AWD - WDP

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
There's one very important piece that seems to be missing in this thread.

Yes, the phone must support the OBEX access and transfer, but SO MUST THE PROVIDER. Verizon Wireless has pretty much disabled all of this kind of functionality on all of their phones. So, even if the PHONE supports it, VZW has turned the feature off.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:03 PM
Go TL it on the mountain!

Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf
why would you sync your phone with a car you dont own?
Old 01-02-2007, 02:18 PM
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by billycuth
To see how well it works?
Old 01-02-2007, 07:39 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by meburdick
There's one very important piece that seems to be missing in this thread.

Yes, the phone must support the OBEX access and transfer, but SO MUST THE PROVIDER. Verizon Wireless has pretty much disabled all of this kind of functionality on all of their phones. So, even if the PHONE supports it, VZW has turned the feature off.
I've got an email into Alltel customer service. I'll let you know what I hear back.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:38 PM
Racer

Exactly. To see if it worked. Deleting it was very easy, as well.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:25 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Toronto-TL

Has anybody tried this to see if it works?
Old 01-03-2007, 07:16 AM
Go TL it on the mountain!

Originally Posted by BrandonClaps
To see how well it works?
okay. sure. check to see how well it works. then what? spend 5 minutes deleting everything? Maybe the hfl on the '07 has a reset to it, and it's easy, but on a test drive, that would seem cumbersome to me.

to each his own.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:39 AM
Racer

okay. sure. check to see how well it works. then what? spend 5 minutes deleting everything? Maybe the hfl on the '07 has a reset to it, and it's easy, but on a test drive, that would seem cumbersome to me.

to each his own.
Actually, it took about 3 seconds to delete it. The 07 is different from the prior models. When you transfer the phonebook from the phone to the car, it resides in the Navi unit. You can then import individual numbers to HFL for voice dialing--or you can go thru your phonebook through the Navi screen to dial numbers off there. All very easy.