DIY Nexus 7 install in an '04

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 08:27 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by tegman2
How are you tethering to your phones? Currently I am using blue tooth for internet but I have to manually connect each time.
Consider switching to WiFi tethering instead. I used Bluetooth tethering at first, but I found that the bandwidth was insufficient for things like Skype

It drains the battery faster than Bluetooth, but the speed advantage may be useful.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:31 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,159 Likes on 909 Posts
Originally Posted by JMiles_T
Consider switching to WiFi tethering instead. I used Bluetooth tethering at first, but I found that the bandwidth was insufficient for things like Skype

It drains the battery faster than Bluetooth, but the speed advantage may be useful.
how do you get your wifi to tether automatically? i have an iphone and i found that wifi tethering was only picked up automatically like 1 out of 10 times. I'd rather have slow bluetooth than have to manually connect wifi each time i get into my car. i would definitely prefer wifi though if i can figure out how to connect automatically to an apple product.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:14 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by sockr1
how do you get your wifi to tether automatically? i have an iphone and i found that wifi tethering was only picked up automatically like 1 out of 10 times. I'd rather have slow bluetooth than have to manually connect wifi each time i get into my car. i would definitely prefer wifi though if i can figure out how to connect automatically to an apple product.
I have an android phone, and use Tasker to activate WiFi tethering when the phone connects to the Acura HandsFreeLink.

I don't know if iPhones have automation software like Tasker.

Edit: Look here.

Last edited by JMiles_T; 06-27-2017 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 163 Posts
Does anyone have an input on the radio screen? I just bought a second HVAC unit for attempting this mod in the upcoming months. I'm still a tad confused.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:59 AM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Originally Posted by wusty23jd
Does anyone have an input on the radio screen? I just bought a second HVAC unit for attempting this mod in the upcoming months. I'm still a tad confused.
OP must have hidden his radio display because he now uses just the Nexus 7 for audio if I'm correct.

If you want, you can extend the radio screen also, and throw that into one of the cubbys if it fits.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Yeah exactly... I mean most people just relocate both displays down into the lower compartments. I was just curious what the OP did for the radio screen, because relocating the HVAC display near the vents is definitely unique and not "the norm". I think it looks much cleaner. However, if not having a radio screen is the end result, I'm not sure that it's worth it.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:57 PM
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts
going to attempt this in a few days, how does the Nexus get audio to the i simple? is there an aux to aux going from the nexus to the simple?
Old 09-07-2017, 08:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wusty23jd
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-a...isplay-750549/

Nevermind, it appears that the swap is actually very complex. Scratch my previous thread lol.

However, I still am curious as to where the radio screen/information goes.
I'm currently gathering all of my supplies for a tablet install. I haven't seen a solid answer in other forums, regarding my previous question about the location of the radio display? Does anyone have any insight? I would love to maintain my storage space below if possible. I have an 05 non-navi.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 493 Likes on 375 Posts
In theory you can move it anywhere you want. Rear bumper ? Fine for me.

Main question is if you want to make it look nice, or just keep functionality if something goes wrong (like radio requiring code etc.) ?
Obviously the further you go the more wires, more panels to remove, etc.

Here author relocated only climate display, throwing radio display out. It turned out pretty nice to be honest. Then you can throw radio display to the glove box or something ( again, a lot of wires ! )
Seems like author extended every single LEDs wire from the PCB.
It's not really needed as they should be connected parallel anyway (but add resistor for each of leds later), and that should reduce amount of wires.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:20 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I could use some help i got it all set up but not sure i set my files in right spot and also having some other issues with setting files up

tia
Old 06-14-2018, 05:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,711 Likes on 6,718 Posts
Originally Posted by H23 CD7
So I could use some help i got it all set up but not sure i set my files in right spot and also having some other issues with setting files up

tia
Searching is your friend here on AZ

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-a...camera-953237/
Old 11-23-2018, 02:26 AM
4th Gear

Back-up Camera

Not sure if I missed it but how will the back up camera display on the installed tablet?
Old 07-30-2019, 03:43 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tablet Talk App?

I'm planning to undertake this install project, but I can't find the Tablet Talk app in the Google Play store. Is it even still available? The website dedicated to this app looks like it hasn't been updated since 2013. I also can't seem to find any similar apps that function like Tablet Talk.

If anyone has any advice, please let me know. Thanks.
Old 12-16-2019, 11:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Bumping an old thread here... I'm in the middle of my Nexus 7 integration and I'm starting to gather my supplies for the HVAC relocation. Does anyone have any links for Lexan products that they've used with success? There are a lot of different options out there with varying thicknesses. I'm wondering if anyone can shed light on what has worked best for bending/molding with heat to fit the upper bezel?
Old 12-16-2019, 11:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Also, OP, do you have any pictures of the Lexan piece, showing how you mounted the new LEDs?
Old 12-17-2019, 11:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

I would suggest relocating the display below the radio, so you can keep both climate and radio displays.

For the LEDs, if you don't want them floating in the air, I would get a "prototype board" from somewhere (ebay, amazon), like:

If you solder the LEDs to it, it will keep them flat and secured. If you can't find board long enough, gluing two together is still better than gluing all LEDs together.

No idea about Lexan, as I went with tinted plexi glass and failed at bending it, so I kept it flat.
Old 12-17-2019, 11:53 PM
Burning Brakes

I am REALLY battling with making a decision for my relocation. I really want to relocate the HVAC screen up by the air vents and then relocate the radio display screen into the top cubby below. Unfortunately, the screen is a bit too large to fit into the cubby, so some serious fabrication would need to be done. I'm just not 100% sold on relocating both screens down below.

I really like the idea of using a prototype board. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 01-26-2020, 01:44 PM
Intermediate

Man great write up...thanks! Hey, I'm new to this install, but as I'm looking at the wiring diagram I have a question. I already have an Isimple Carconnect bluetooth unit for my 2004 Acura TL with Nav. If I did this mod would I even need the DAC?? Why couldn't I just connect the Nexus 7 bluetooth to the Isimple carconnect unit? Is there another reason to have the DAC?
Old 01-26-2020, 05:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

DAC is mostly to enhance the quality. Output from tablet's 3.5mm jack would need to be amplified quite a lot, while DAC outputs much "stronger" signal.

Test the tablet and iSimple. If it works then you can skip the DAC. But will your phone connect with iSimple when tablet is using it? (I'm assuming you are also using iSimple for phone calls, as HFL is probably bad)
Old 01-26-2020, 07:48 PM
Intermediate

My plan was to use the Carlinkit Wired Carplay Dongle with the Nexus 7 2013 32GB tablet. That way I could use the Carlinkit to attach to the phone and bluetooth from the Nexus to the iSimple CarConnect device. All just plans for now, but seems pretty clean if it will work. My HFL still works, but I would never need it if I had Carplay in my car...which would make the Nexus 7 install an amazing upgrade!!
Old 01-27-2020, 08:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Hey, are you stealing my idea? I'll race you to the finish.
Old 06-23-2020, 05:28 AM
KIACertAutoTechnician

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sooo helpful! THIS IS AWESOME

Originally Posted by ADay2Long
Alright, actual tablet configurations. So my setup is simple. I created a background image in Photoshop, use it as a background for my tablet and using Nove Launcher Pro I had all notification bars and launchers and icons. Using an app (AmazingText FREE in my case) I create a rectangle widget that I lay on top of the text for the app I want to use, make the widget transparent and open the required app on touch. Clock and date are simply widgets.

If you want to do the same for yourself here a blanks for a base TL and a red version for the TL-S, icons where found here. Also here is the original PSD file created by some awesome guy (forgot his name or where I originally got it from) from a BMW install: Zippyshare.com

Power Event Manager, the main reason behind the Timur Kernel, usb host mode, fi mode, fast charging and firm sleep (and other things to make it a whole lot better).

Display settings I use. Adaptive brightness set to off because I use an awesome app to control screen brightness.

GMD gestures to control my music mainly. Swipe right with 2 fingers to forward songs, swipe left with 2 fingers to rewind songs, douple tap with 2 fingers to play/pause. I now use the new bottom menu with the some options a lot more than gestures now that I've found this neat little mod that installs on top of Timur's kernel.

The app AutoBright (paid app) controls my screen brightness based on sun rise and sun down information. It works without any need of data. You can set max and min brightness and the app does the rest.

That's pretty much how I did it. If I want to use navigation I use Waze with the tablet connected to my phone's data using a hotspot. Otherwise I use Navmii for offline navigation. Tablet Talk to connect phone and tablet and be able to interact without me needing to touch the phone at all and Spotify Premium for offline music playback. I am extremely happy and proud of this mod, this tablet was made to live there! Let me know if you have any other questions, post them below. There are plenty of guides out there explaining how to install Timur's kernel on the Nexus 7. If I think of something else, I will post it below. Thanks for reading guys!

this is just awesome! Thank you!!!! Also, do you think this will work with a Samsung Tab E?
Old 06-23-2020, 09:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Dimensions of Nexus 7 (2013) are 200 x 114 x 8.7 mm (7.87 x 4.49 x 0.34 in) and it's a tight fit.
Tab E is 241.9 x 149.5 x 8.5 mm (9.52 x 5.89 x 0.33 in) with a bigger screen. Not only the screen will not fit into the cutout, but whole tablet won't fit in between buttons.
Tab E also seems to be worse in terms of performance than Nexus 7 and I don't know if there is a charge + otg kernel available.

So overall - no it won't work with Tab E.

Believe me I searched and so far there is no other "modern" device with Nexus 7 dimensions. Or at least I couldn't find one.
The following users liked this post:
FGbG-Tech CyberModz3D (06-23-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 07:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Slowly but surely, I'm getting there...

Old 08-22-2020, 12:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Hey guys, I could use your help.

While test fitting my Radio display screen, one of the pins disconnected from the LCD board. Originally, I thought I could just solder it back in place, but it doesn't appear that the board has a metal surface where the pin connects? I tried testing with my multimeter and get no readings of continuity when I touch both sides of the LCD board in that pin location. If I press the wire clamp to the board in just the right way, the radio display works as normal. However, it's very touchy. Does anyone know how these pins are connected? It's almost as if there is just a dab of glue.

Clamp portion of pin

Front side of radio display

Back side of radio display

Old 08-22-2020, 03:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

It probably uses "conductive print" that's glued / printed on the display's glass. No idea how it's really called but I've seen them.

If you can't clamp it on and glue it, and display is not working correctly without the pin, you will need to look for replacement.

Is that screen from 04-06 non navi model?
Old 08-24-2020, 08:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

I checked my junk pile, and if you end up needing board and screens from 04-06 non navi model I have one left after doing my install.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:36 AM
Burning Brakes

I tried clamping that broken pin as tight as I could and glued it in place with a dab of hot glue. It seems to be holding "for now." However, Another pin came loose and it's not even unhinged. Somehow these pins became damaged along the way, probably from me moving the project about 100 times.

It appears there might be some sort of electrically conductive epoxy that could be worth a try, but it's expensive and I'm not even sure it will work. Nor am I sure if it will hold for the lifespan of the vehicle.

Additionally, I soldered wires to the front of the circuit board (similar to OP). However, I'm also relocating the radio screen, so I have two additional rows of pins and another set of LED wires. The mess of wiring has become much too thick for the circiut board to sit in betwen the Nexus 7 and metal backing of the HVAC display bezel. Although, I'm a bit reluctant, I think it's time I start from scratch with a new board and solder the screens from behind. This will be less messy, the length of wires can be reduced significantly, there will be more room for things to fit, etc.

peter6 Thanks so much for offering. I wish I saw your post about 10 min ago. I JUST submitted an offer on eBay for another HVAC display. If that doesn't get accepted, I'd be happy to work with you. Do you know if your screens are black or blue? I'll need a black radio screen because my original black HVAC screen is working well . I didn't know there was a difference until I bought a spare board in the event I want to go back to stock if I ever sell my TL. Picture below for reference:

Old 08-24-2020, 10:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

No idea about the color. I will let you know when I get home.

If you plan to cut out the screen and relocate it again, I would glue the pins together before cutting them off the board.
If they stay together, there will be less of a chance of pulling single pin off.

Also, if you get LEDs and resistors, then it will be enough to extend 2 wires for the backlight, instead of doing each LED separately. I have no idea why people move LEDs this way.