DIY audio 'aux in'

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 03:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, after toying with the idea of going completely aftermarket with the JL CleanSweep, I decided I'm satisfied with keeping things stock and will proceed to permanently install my DIY Aux-In using my extension subharness in the trunk at the XM hookup. I'm also using the Soundgate AUX3 as my switcher.

I've decided to keep the Soundgate unit in the trunk to minimize the additional audio wire run for XM (I don't want to lose any more volume on XM!), running the switch into the cabin along with the audio lines for the AUX in. My question is: Can I tap into the power feeding the XM receiver for the Soundgate switcher, or is that a "no no" (i.e., could it cause a ground-loop problem?). I can always run the power line through the cabin as well, but I'd like to keep the wire runs as short (and few) as possible.

Any advice is appreciated as I begin to warm up the soldering iron!
Old 07-30-2005, 01:00 AM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Originally Posted by Brewmaster
If your talking about the switch cover, take a small screwdriver and insert the blade at the top and pry gently .... The back is honeycombed so it's a pain to drill out, but it's very do-able.

If your looking for trim panels etc, either give 'em a tug and see if they pop off, or search. There's a bunch of threads besides this one that all have great directions. there's also a couple of links inside this thread ... take the time to learn ....
The TL also has a plastic cover under the steering column that can be removed. You can get your hand behind there and grab the clips to the dummy plate from behind and push it out. It saves you from leaving blade marks on your dash if you try to pry it out.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:07 AM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

I see a lot of people are going with the setup by tapping into the trunk lines. I'm sure it's much easier than working in the cramped space behind the head unit.

I'm going to stick with working behind the head unit because I won't have to go through the trouble of running Aux cables up to the front console.

My next project is to take apart the center console and install a 3.5mm jack which will be attached to some RCA cables that will connect to the Soundgate. I put my Soundgate under the passenger carpet right next to the hump. I supplied power to the Soundgate by putting an Add-a-Circuit into the fuse box. My switch will go into the dummy plate where the mirror controls are.

It's a relatively easy setup and allows me to place everything neatly. I'll do a writeup with pictures when I'm finished.

I just want to confirm with those that have done it already that their sound volume coming from their MP3 players isn't as loud the XM source. Any answers to this? If everyone has comparably louder volume, I guess I need to tap in at the back!
Old 07-30-2005, 07:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I tapped into the XM in the trunk and my ipod volume is just as loud as the XM. No difference.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:39 AM
7th Gear

you guys will save yourself a lot of pain and headaches if you just buy the Soundgate AUX3 instead of messing around with tons of wires and relays
Old 07-30-2005, 09:43 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ryan c
you guys will save yourself a lot of pain and headaches if you just buy the Soundgate AUX3 instead of messing around with tons of wires and relays
I agree, that little box makes my life so much easier.

The largest pain I have is running the rca's everywhere!
Old 07-30-2005, 11:29 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the blitzsafe (I heard is same as the Soundgate) and returned it. They confirmed that it worked for the Canadian TL with no XM.

On another note, this was also 6 months ago and they specified that they would have one up for me shortly (no eta). Can anyone verified that adding either the current version of Soundgate or the Blitzsafe is an answer to having an aux audio in without having to do modifications? Meaning you can buy this product and plug it in and it works.

If there is need for modification with either or both of these products in order to obtain an aux audio in the question remains as to what are the bennifits of having this product versus saving money and adding a relay by the XM receiver in the trunk controlled by a simple switch installed in the cabin?
Old 07-30-2005, 05:26 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Originally Posted by King of Pain
I tapped into the XM in the trunk and my ipod volume is just as loud as the XM. No difference.
I was afraid that someone might say that. With the harness mounted up front, there is a noticeable difference in volume between my MP3 player and XM with or without the Soundgate AUX3. I should be able to tap into the XM in the rear by using the very same harness, right?

I think I'll try that and see what type of results I get before I finish up anything.

The best way to know for sure is to get an idea of what type of results those of us who are using the Soundgate AUX3 are getting and where its located versus those who are using relays. I think that would help us all get some consistency in the way we're approaching this mod.

I'd also like to know if there is a difference in Sound output with the Y-Harness versus the bus (??) cable that NewMexiCat is using.

Thanks.
Old 07-30-2005, 05:32 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Originally Posted by NewMexiCat
I did get the cable, and it worked great! The only tricky part is that the color of the wires do not match the colors for the TL at either the HU or the XM receiver (which is where I decided to use it). So you have to know your pinout positions and rely on that instead of color when you splice the Soundgate switcher in. Otherwise, it worked like a charm!
Do you notice any difference in volume level between your MP3 player and the XM source with your setup?
Old 07-30-2005, 06:00 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Disregard the post about the volume difference. My MP3 player(s) (iPod and Dell DJ) play fine in comparison to the XM. I don't know what I was thinking about. I'm going to try to wrap up the install tomorrow.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:56 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Link to my install for those who are subscribed to this thread...

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120209
Old 08-01-2005, 08:49 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by VtecMW
Disregard the post about the volume difference. My MP3 player(s) (iPod and Dell DJ) play fine in comparison to the XM. I don't know what I was thinking about. I'm going to try to wrap up the install tomorrow.
OK good, I wouldn't see why it wouldn't play the same.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:35 PM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

OKC TL Owner iPOD install

chusteveb...

You are in OKC, I want to get your info so I can talk with you about this iPOD stuff...

email me please...

chrismc73@yahoo.com
Old 08-03-2005, 01:47 PM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

chusteveb,

Does your install look like this guys:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120209

??? I like that the ipod is hidden in that top console area.

Can we do something like this?
Old 08-03-2005, 01:54 PM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

I'm a bit confused with all these configurations I'm seeing on here.
Will this still allow me to use my XM radio?
Will the iPOD be controlled from the steering wheel, or only from the iPOD itslef?
Is the CD changer disabled?
What about setting up the monitor to view DVDs?

These are all the kinds of questions I want to ask you.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisMc73
I'm a bit confused with all these configurations I'm seeing on here.
Will this still allow me to use my XM radio?
Will the iPOD be controlled from the steering wheel, or only from the iPOD itslef?
Is the CD changer disabled?
What about setting up the monitor to view DVDs?

These are all the kinds of questions I want to ask you.
yes you can still use XM, as long as you wire up the relay
no the IPOD can not be controlled from the radio or steering wheel controls
There is no effect on the CD changer
If you want to play DVD's throught the stock navi screen you will need to buy a converter and dvd player
Old 08-03-2005, 02:25 PM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

Thanks rbf351.

Really the iPOD would satisfy me. I saw in a recent magazine, can't remember the name, but it had a white '04 TL where the guy had a mulitmedia manager (Alpine) mounted in the place of the cup holders, then some 4 way switch that would allow the signal for a 6disc DVD player (mounted in trunk) to play DVDs on the navi screen or the two screens they put in the back of the front seat head rests. The navi DTS decoder decoded for the dvd and a sony play station they had mounted under the drivers seats. Have you guys seen this article? Its in May 05 issue of some car audio magazine...had all I wanted but isntead of PS2, I'd take the iPOD. Well I don't need TVs behind the seats either.

I really would just like to keep the factory equipment, but also be able to play DVD's on the navi screen, keep the navi, keep xm, and play iPOD too...manually from the iPOD is fine...as long as it's mounted in the console like in this thread, I don't want it out showing, asking car theives to come on in...
Old 08-08-2005, 09:14 AM
Intermediate

has anyone heard about blitzsafe coming out with an adapter soon?
Old 08-24-2005, 09:35 PM
Advanced

Magazine article you were looking for?

Originally Posted by ChrisMc73
Thanks rbf351.

Really the iPOD would satisfy me. I saw in a recent magazine, can't remember the name, but it had a white '04 TL where the guy had a mulitmedia manager (Alpine) mounted in the place of the cup holders, then some 4 way switch that would allow the signal for a 6disc DVD player (mounted in trunk) to play DVDs on the navi screen or the two screens they put in the back of the front seat head rests...
Is this what you were looking for?

http://www.caraudiomag.com/v_features/0505cae_acura/
Old 08-25-2005, 08:53 AM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

Thats it!!

That is the one! You found it.

Thanks!
Old 08-25-2005, 10:04 AM
Instructor

anyone in the bay area, cali want to do this for me and earn some extra cash...someone who has already done this on their car please...
Old 08-26-2005, 11:29 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by BLIZZMATIC
has anyone heard about blitzsafe coming out with an adapter soon?
Yes they will have something soon. They tested their unit without the xm 2 weeks ago and then rereleased it. When they have a working protype for the unit with xm, they will test it in my car and i'll find out from them when they will release it. They may have something for me in two weeks. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:09 AM
Racer

Really? I bought one from them about a year ago. Upon it not working and talking to them in regards to returning the product they asked me if I was local and could bring the car in for them to design something seeing that their version was for the Canadian model w/o XM.

Weird.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:27 PM
Big Brother is Watching..

im kinda curious how you guys fouind these honda part numbers. i work at a dealership and cant ever seem to get the guys at the parts counter to find what i need. personaly right now i think it would be SUPER if i could find an extension to use to splice into for my dvd--> nav conversion
Old 09-09-2005, 11:52 AM

ok, im not so sure this is going to work, but....

i already had a blitzsafe adapter on the way so ive kinda got that already. well the Y harness is intended for use on an Accord with XM to allow the use of an aux tape player as well. this makes me wonder about the possibility of plugging in my blitzsafe and my XM at the same time. im going to try it like this first.

next. if that doesnt work, im thinking i can splice the BROWN wire in the number 2 position on the plug. using a double pole, single throw toggle switch to only allow power to one unit at a time. so with a throw of a swithc either the Blitzsafe or the XM has power at one time.

my shop foreman seems to think that one of these should produce an adequate solution to our problem. i got the Y connector yesterday ($27.50 employee price, eat that bitches!), now im just waiting on my Blitzsafe, hopefully will arrive today so i can start on this. will post results when i get there!!!
Old 09-09-2005, 01:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TurboSam
im kinda curious how you guys fouind these honda part numbers. i work at a dealership and cant ever seem to get the guys at the parts counter to find what i need. personaly right now i think it would be SUPER if i could find an extension to use to splice into for my dvd--> nav conversion

ask them to give you the password to http://www.partspeis.com

best site for honda part numbers,
Old 09-09-2005, 04:27 PM

ask who, my parts guys?
Old 10-28-2005, 07:25 PM
04 TL 6MT NAVI ABP/Q

chusteveb:

Do you know why the Audio levels drop when using the AVE Video Switcher?
I'm currently researching the best way to add Video in to my 04 NAVI while also having multiple Autio and Video Inputs and Outputs.

The AVE unit claims to do all that, but I have ready many posts confirming the drop in volume when using the unit. So I was curious if you knew why this was happening (since your pretty well versed in electronics)
Old 10-28-2005, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Casper42
chusteveb:

Do you know why the Audio levels drop when using the AVE Video Switcher?
I'm currently researching the best way to add Video in to my 04 NAVI while also having multiple Autio and Video Inputs and Outputs.

The AVE unit claims to do all that, but I have ready many posts confirming the drop in volume when using the unit. So I was curious if you knew why this was happening (since your pretty well versed in electronics)
This happened when I added my avelectronic video switcher. We added a
Turbo X (Line Driver w/10 db bass boost) and a Turbo 1 ( Adjustable Line Driver).
This solved my problems. Thought this might help.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:03 PM
Racer

Casper, I'm not sure as to why there's a loss of volume in the audio with the AVE unit but I am sure that it is the AVE unit that is causing it. Dan has given the easiest fix to this problem which was to simply add a line driver for the audio that comes from the AVE unit going into the headunit (via XM ).
I'm about to address this exact issue here in a couple of days since I'm adding a modded XBox (mod chip w/ 200G HD), audio/ video input wires for my new 60G Video ipod, a rear back up camera, and keep the existing dvd player, as well as having a dedicated aux audio/ video input inside the car for additional toys (camera's, etc.). Simpy using a single line driver after the AVE unit won't suffice since all the different sources will result with different volume levels. I will rid this single line driver for a Matrix unit by Audio Control that will go after each source but before the AVE unit. This will allow me to get all the sources to have the same volume level across the board. If you are not familiar with this unit you should check it out. I've already got one in the car for the sound system and it works like a champ!
Old 11-08-2005, 03:27 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

Originally Posted by SilverQuartzTL
As a suggestion, rather than using 4 SPDT (single pole, double throw) relays, you could use just one 4PDT (4 pole, double throw) like this one:

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/sto...oductId=183011

This would save some space and probably draw quite a bit less current as you are only operating one coil, instead of 4.
I tried using a 4PDT last Saturday for a project and it was worthless...Everything worked correctly, except that when I sent the relay power and it switched the input, I could slightly hear the XM audio bleeding through...I don't know what the problem was but it pissed me off. We ended up going with an FM modulator in that particular car because of it = crap
Old 11-10-2005, 09:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ITL
I tried using a 4PDT last Saturday for a project and it was worthless...Everything worked correctly, except that when I sent the relay power and it switched the input, I could slightly hear the XM audio bleeding through...I don't know what the problem was but it pissed me off. We ended up going with an FM modulator in that particular car because of it = crap

It could have been a defective relay.

Can I ask king of Pain or anybody else where can I tap into the power in the trunk area to make the relay to work?? I am planning on doing this tomorrow. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mamboking
It could have been a defective relay.

Can I ask king of Pain or anybody else where can I tap into the power in the trunk area to make the relay to work?? I am planning on doing this tomorrow. Your help is greatly appreciated.
I ran the power line, along with the RCAs, to the armrest compartment where I tapped into the power outlet line. I placed the switch in the compartment replacing the light. I think you can also tap into the XM power line, but not sure which one it is.

BTW It been about 4 months since I did this and it's still working great. I do not have XM so I will just take the relay out and plug directly into the aux line. My next step is to upgrade my amps and speakers
Old 03-24-2006, 12:44 PM
Cruisin'

chusteveb- Since I don't use my xm can I just unplug it in the trunk tap the input wires and leave it unplugged or will the headunit not switch over if it does not see the xm receiver plugged in? My plan is to get one of those wire harness adapters to tie into the plug instead of cutting into it and was curious if it would work without the xm receiver plugged in.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:58 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by gsmith6915
chusteveb- Since I don't use my xm can I just unplug it in the trunk tap the input wires and leave it unplugged or will the headunit not switch over if it does not see the xm receiver plugged in? My plan is to get one of those wire harness adapters to tie into the plug instead of cutting into it and was curious if it would work without the xm receiver plugged in.
Yes you can. The source input is selected at the headunit and regardless of what is selected the XM unit is always powered up when the vehicle is on. Leaving it unplugged will not matter and the headunit will not see the difference. Good luck
Old 03-25-2006, 11:21 PM
Cruisin'

Will the y cable or the bus cable allow me to hook up in the trunk or behind the radio? Meaning are the connectors the same either behind the radio or in the trunk? I would rather do all my wiring in the trunk.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:50 AM
Racer

good question. It is possible that it is the same. I agree that leaving all the wiring in the trunk is much cleaner in the sense that there is a lot more space to hide wires. This is exactly what i did.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:53 PM
Instructor

I did this with a 4PDT relay and it works wonders. Just have to make sure you have a diode across the relay + and ground so you don't get any feedback from the coil.
Anyone know of a good sound driver? I belive the sound from my laptop is a little too faint for my taste.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:09 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

moahdib, would you please provide some more info on how you setup this diode in the circuit?

Would the lack of this diode explain why the XM was bleeding over to my aux source?
Old 03-27-2006, 08:35 PM
Intermediate

I did similar to these instructions, but I used 2 DEI 451M relay packs. They are 2 relays in one small black box, much easier to hide.

I chose to install behind the radio.

Worked out well, much smaller form factor than 4 relays, and much cleaner install.

Tom

Quick Reply: DIY audio 'aux in'