Dice Vs. USAspec

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 08:21 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gynuine69
Ahh, yeah, after reading it over again, it made better since. I think I'm going to take a peek in getting both of these installed. I also checked out the external HD mod which looks pretty awesome, but might be over kill for me. Thank god today was payday! time to spend money!

Are there any screenshots of what the interface looks like for the Dice adapter in the Navi screen?
If you do the external HD you won't have ipod text through the xm screen..............
Old 11-01-2007, 08:23 AM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by lembowski
Well I'm pleased with the Dice adapter so far.

Only negative from the USAspec a can see right now is skipping to the next song. I'm used to reaching to the next song/skip button on the cd changer to skip to the next song, but with the Dice it just starts fast forwarding. It works on the skip button on the steering wheel and ipod, but very quirky on the cd player controls. Its just easy to switch that way, gonna take some time to get used to not reaching for that. Cause once you touch that button it won't stop FF......
Nick any idea about my problem? Once you push the skip button on the USAspec it skipped to the next song and if you held it in it would FF. On the Dice if you push ir or hold it, it does the same thing. And there is no "play" button to stop the FF. You have to just skip to the next song........kinda gets annoying, and its caused my ipod to "lock up" twice, requiring a center button menu reset.
Anything on this yet Nick or uncald4
Old 11-01-2007, 10:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
I'm not sure. Mine works fine with the SEEK/SKIP buttons. I had one other person with this problem last month. They were using an old iPod mini. When I asked him to try a different iPod it worked fine. Other than that I haven't seen this problem before. Try using a newer iPod. If that still doesn't solve your problem call DICE tech support. Swapping out your module would be you last solution.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:25 AM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by uncald4
I'm not sure. Mine works fine with the SEEK/SKIP buttons. I had one other person with this problem last month. They were using an old iPod mini. When I asked him to try a different iPod it worked fine. Other than that I haven't seen this problem before. Try using a newer iPod. If that still doesn't solve your problem call DICE tech support. Swapping out your module would be you last solution.
I'm using a 2nd Generation Nano, so I don't think that would be the issue. Guess I'll just call tech support
Old 11-01-2007, 10:38 AM
Former Sponsor

I'm using a 2nd Generation Nano, so I don't think that would be the issue. Guess I'll just call tech support
Word. Please let me know what the progress is.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:16 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry, I missed this. You could disconnect your battery for a minute to see if the radio has it's buttons mapped differently. Be sure to have your radio/navi code handy.

Yes, you can remap the buttons on a Honda radio, but I don't know how to put it back to default.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:52 PM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by Nick@DICE
sorry, I missed this. You could disconnect your battery for a minute to see if the radio has it's buttons mapped differently. Be sure to have your radio/navi code handy.

Yes, you can remap the buttons on a Honda radio, but I don't know how to put it back to default.
Ok, I unplugged the power when I installed the dice, but I didn't after I had to switch the dip switches. I will try that and let you know.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:15 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you do the external HD you won't have ipod text through the xm screen..............
yeah i know that. the mod i have been looking at has its own interface so i have been deciding which one I would like to go with. Probably an off question but does the Dice support 5.1 surround sound or is it two-Channel... I have been using an cassette adapter for my ipod and can hear a noticable difference from CDs. any thoughts?
Old 11-01-2007, 08:33 PM
Intermediate

Thanks alot for the screenshots... i wonder what the video interface looks like. Ill do some hunting
Old 11-02-2007, 10:23 AM
Trucki!!

Thanks alot for the screenshots... i wonder what the video interface looks like. Ill do some hunting
I'm pretty sure your getting confused. The Dice products have nothing to do with the video.

The video has to do with the DOM unit and whatever video source you use. If its an ipod video and you use the car kit from Dice its not going to have an interface, its just going to display whats on the ipod. Same thing with a dvd player. Its a mirror of the image.

If your looking for whats involved, go here:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139696
Old 11-02-2007, 12:08 PM
Racer

yeah i know that. the mod i have been looking at has its own interface so i have been deciding which one I would like to go with. Probably an off question but does the Dice support 5.1 surround sound or is it two-Channel... I have been using an cassette adapter for my ipod and can hear a noticable difference from CDs. any thoughts?

Your car doesn't support surround, so it doesn't matter. A car's entire sound system is 2-Channel. The reason why CD's sound better than the tape-deck is because the fidelity of a tape deck is much, much lower than a CD or a direct line in & that a CD uses a lossless format called WAV, unlike MP3 which is a lossy format.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After reading through all this I still couldn't find a postive answer for the iphone. Which one works the best? ie. Have controls on radio and iphone at the same time, seems like the USA-Spec so far, Nick what do you think? I just received my iphone 10 mins ago so I'm looking to get the adapter soon
Old 11-02-2007, 02:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by VelfarreClubber
After reading through all this I still couldn't find a postive answer for the iphone. Which one works the best? ie. Have controls on radio and iphone at the same time, seems like the USA-Spec so far, Nick what do you think? I just received my iphone 10 mins ago so I'm looking to get the adapter soon

The USA-Spec CANNOT give control to any of the newer iPods/iPhone and the headunit at the same time. They got screwed by Apple the same as we did.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:21 PM
Racer

But there is the work-around. If you press the home key for 5 seconds, it will unlock the iPhone and the Touch, but you'll lose headunit control til you reconnect.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:49 PM
Intermediate

I'm pretty sure your getting confused. The Dice products have nothing to do with the video.

The video has to do with the DOM unit and whatever video source you use. If its an ipod video and you use the car kit from Dice its not going to have an interface, its just going to display whats on the ipod. Same thing with a dvd player. Its a mirror of the image.

If your looking for whats involved, go here:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139696
ok, that makes more sense... I was under the impression that with the Dice video cradle adapter switched the interface.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:52 PM
Intermediate

Your car doesn't support surround, so it doesn't matter. A car's entire sound system is 2-Channel. The reason why CD's sound better than the tape-deck is because the fidelity of a tape deck is much, much lower than a CD or a direct line in & that a CD uses a lossless format called WAV, unlike MP3 which is a lossy format.
Thanks for the clarification... that would explain they the speaker distribution was off between the two. CD's push more of my base to the actual sub as the adapter sounded completely different.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:35 PM
Racer

Thanks for the clarification... that would explain they the speaker distribution was off between the two. CD's push more of my base to the actual sub as the adapter sounded completely different.
If you get the DICE kit, load some of your music with the Apple Lossless format. That should make your speakers bump.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:56 PM
Instructor

Hey, this kit looks like it might be what I need to get rid of my clunky cassette adapter and get the integrated stereo controls as a plus!

I have a 2004 TL and a 2007 Odyssey, both with factory nav and XM. I haven't seen the DICE kit; is there an easy way to switch back and forth between the two vehicles (i.e. can you remove the wire harness that plugs into the headunit). That way I could leave a wire bundle hooked up all the time to each head unit, and move the rest of the kit when I move my iPod.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 340 Likes on 278 Posts
Well I'm pleased with the Dice adapter so far.

Only negative from the USAspec a can see right now is skipping to the next song. I'm used to reaching to the next song/skip button on the cd changer to skip to the next song, but with the Dice it just starts fast forwarding. It works on the skip button on the steering wheel and ipod, but very quirky on the cd player controls. Its just easy to switch that way, gonna take some time to get used to not reaching for that. Cause once you touch that button it won't stop FF......

lem, if you're talking about the little chrome skip button (+), mine ff's also. To get it to stop just push it again.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

The USA-Spec CANNOT give control to any of the newer iPods/iPhone and the headunit at the same time. They got screwed by Apple the same as we did.
Thanks for the info Nick, when can we expect full support? I'm actually using the iPhone now to post this haha but it is kind of tempting to buy and use the work around since the iPhone headphone jack is too recessed for my tape adapter.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:08 AM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by A SiQ TL
lem, if you're talking about the little chrome skip button (+), mine ff's also. To get it to stop just push it again.
Yeah if I do that it doesn't read me pressing the button. Haven't had a chance to disconnect the battery, but I will do that here in an hour or two to see if that remaps the buttons like Nick was saying above.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:30 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by VelfarreClubber
Thanks for the info Nick, when can we expect full support? I'm actually using the iPhone now to post this haha but it is kind of tempting to buy and use the work around since the iPhone headphone jack is too recessed for my tape adapter.
That's the thing, Apple intentionally did this. How it's functioning now (locked out iPods) is how Apple meant it to be. Apple is very good at fixing their bugs so it may not be possible. We're looking for ways to reliably unlock it but they may not exist anymore.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:40 PM
2007 TL TYPE S ASM

I have a 2007 TL Type S and was looking at Crutchfield Mag that came in the mail today showing the USA Spec iPod Interface. I found this thread and would like to purchase the Dice unit. My understanding is that it would be hooked thru the XM portion so I could use text (will discontinue subscription on XM) and is controlled thru the steering wheel and iPod controls (which ever one I use) and I need the R4? My zip is 92260 in Palm Desert, CA and I need an installer?
Thanks!
Old 11-03-2007, 10:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by elstls
I have a 2007 TL Type S and was looking at Crutchfield Mag that came in the mail today showing the USA Spec iPod Interface. I found this thread and would like to purchase the Dice unit. My understanding is that it would be hooked thru the XM portion so I could use text (will discontinue subscription on XM) and is controlled thru the steering wheel and iPod controls (which ever one I use) and I need the R4? My zip is 92260 in Palm Desert, CA and I need an installer?
Thanks!
You are correct. You need the i-Honda-R4. You can use the steering wheel controls, the radio controls or the iPod itself assuming that you do not have a brand new iPod Classic, iPod Touch or the new Nano. If you choose to have TEXT you will need to unplug your XM brain in the trunk. This will render it useless. If you choose not to have TEXT your XM will remain fully functional. There are switches on the DICE module so you can change your mind at any time.

You live an California so you should find an installer on every street corner. But if anyone can suggest a good installer that would be awesome.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:09 PM
2007 TL TYPE S ASM

You are correct. You need the i-Honda-R4. You can use the steering wheel controls, the radio controls or the iPod itself assuming that you do not have a brand new iPod Classic, iPod Touch or the new Nano. If you choose to have TEXT you will need to unplug your XM brain in the trunk. This will render it useless. If you choose not to have TEXT your XM will remain fully functional. There are switches on the DICE module so you can change your mind at any time.

You live an California so you should find an installer on every street corner. But if anyone can suggest a good installer that would be awesome.
Is there still a group buy going on or do I purchase this at the DICE website?
Old 11-03-2007, 11:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Actually, the system is surround. It supports DVD-Audio discs. I have a couple of discs and you can definately tell it is in surround. DVD-A discs are few and far between though...

I have no idea if XM (or the inputs) supports surround though, as XM is not supported in Hawaii...
Old 11-04-2007, 12:21 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Kikaida
Actually, the system is surround. It supports DVD-Audio discs. I have a couple of discs and you can definately tell it is in surround. DVD-A discs are few and far between though...

I have no idea if XM (or the inputs) supports surround though, as XM is not supported in Hawaii...
The decoder is built into the DVD-A drive, it does not function in any other mode or input. We've played around with it.

XM and Sirius is 2 channel, at a low-bit rate at that.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:26 AM
Instructor

Nick
I had a bent wire on my Yadapter behind the dash, that was only allowing XM to come through on the passenger side. I got that fixed, and when I got it all back together, I was unplugging the DICE to switch it to CDC Mode with the XM on. As soon as I unplugged the Car cable from the DICE, XM started to come through way more clear.

I tried it a few times, as well as disconnecting the battery and starting over. It seems whenever the dice is plugged in, the XM is muffled (very noticably). Have you ever heard of this? The Dice is in CDC mode, with all jumpers UP
Old 11-04-2007, 03:19 PM
Racer

You did flip the DIP switches with the car OFF and the unit unplugged, right?

Also, go though all the devices at one time and the car will regulate the sound levels.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:40 PM
Instructor

Yes, I never flipped the switches with it plugged in, But did UNPLUG the dice while the XM was playing
Thats how I found that the Dice was muffling the XM sound.

I dont understand what you mean in the second part of your post?
Old 11-05-2007, 08:57 AM
Instructor

Also,
What is the startup issue? When I had the Dice in XM mode, it worked fine, but since I changed it to CDC mode, its hit or miss if the radio picks it up. Sometimes it will work fine, and then if I turn the car off, and turn it back on a few minutes later, it does not even show up (no CD-C) mode. I have also seen the ipod stay in the "Do Not Disconnect" screen, as well as just not turn on.
One time when it did connect, the stereo showd "CD-C4" tab on the nav screen, but that time, none of the controls on the radio worked.

Tonight I am going to change it back to XM Mode and see if the initialization problems go away.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:20 PM
Racer

I wanna see what your results are with putting it back to XM before I answer, I'm curious....
Old 11-05-2007, 06:40 PM
Instructor

Ok, This might be long, But being an engineer, I wanted to give you all the info I could.

Im also trying to kill 2 birds with one stone. I wouldn't mind having the DICE in xm mode if I could figure out how to get the HFL portion of the Navi work at the same time. See this link
Anyway, Im sure you know there are 2 plugs on the XM Receiver, Im hoping one is audio, and one is for HFL and AcuraLink. (IF ANYONE KNOWS THIS PLEASE LET ME KNOW)

Here comes the test (everything was off during changing each setting each time):

DICE IN XM MODE:
1)With all XM wires plugged in, and Dice in XM Mode, the dice worked fine.

DICE IN CD-C MODE:
2)Put the dice in CD-C mode. Unplugged the Big connector on the XM Receiver
a)Worked Fine once
b)Turned key off, then back on
c)No XM1 or XM2 tabs- but the CD-C tab was there, and everything worked fine
d)key off then back on
e)Tab on the Nav screen was "CD-C4". No disk/track info was on the screen, but it was on the correct screen. The ipod could not control through the radio, but when I controlled it through the ipod itself, the Audio came through the car fine. Nothing changed on the screen

3)Big connector in, Little connector out on the XM box
a)key turned off then back on
b)Works fine
c) Key off then back on
d) works fine

3) Tried Setup 2 above again
a)Worked fine on startup
b)Key off then on
c) Displayed the CD-C4 tab again
d) Key off then on again, multiple times - worked fine numerous times

4) Plugged both Big and little connector on XM (this is how it was setup on my other post above when I first mentioned this problem)
a)No CD-C Tab
b) Ipod would not charge through the dice
c)No control of ipod through stereo
d)no audio on stereo when controlled with Ipod

5) Unplugged both connectors on XM Box
a) The Audio button on the dash did not work, the only way to get the Audio screen to show up was to hit the FM button, maybe CD Button
b) No Ipod, CD-C, XM tabs at all. No audio from the ipod when controlled through Ipod

CHANGED DICE BACK TO XM MODE:

6) Unplugged all XM
a) works great, same as before, since I got the Dice in August!

Please note, I did not touch the Dice module between steps 2 and 5.

Hope this gives you more info than you wanted to know

Thanks again Nick for being on this Forum and helping us all out!
Old 11-05-2007, 06:59 PM
Instructor

I guess I should also mention:
I dont know if you know this, but on the 2007/8's, the CD-C mode is a function of the XM button, not the DISC button.
I think for the 04-06's its on the Disc button. Thats why there is a link between the XM and CD-C Tabs
Old 11-06-2007, 11:50 AM
Racer

Specs on your car? Year, model, navi?

How often did you see the start-up issue? Any special circumstances?

And thank you very much for all the detail!
Old 11-06-2007, 12:29 PM
Instructor

Specs on your car? Year, model, navi?

How often did you see the start-up issue? Any special circumstances?

And thank you very much for all the detail!
Its a 2007 TL Type S
So it has Navi and everything.

This issue seems only to be with the CD-C mode, the XM always seems to work no matter what (as long as the XM Box is unplugged).
On CD-C mode, like i showed above, it can change everytime you turn the key off/on. I didn't see a pattern at all.
But one thing is for sure, when the XM is plugged in how its supposed to be, the DICE/Ipod does not work at all (No audio, controls, or CD-C Page). That, along with when its in CD-C Mode the XM sound is muffled as my previous post said.

I should also note, this is still the 3G Ipod, Unfortunately I don't have a newer one to test all this with right now. If I could know for sure these issues would go away with a newer Ipod, I would defiantly buy one.

Does anyone have a 2007 or 2008 that is running the Dice in CD-C Mode with XM still hooked up? If so, let me know how its working. Which Ipod do you have?
Old 11-06-2007, 01:24 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by nalek
Its a 2007 TL Type S
So it has Navi and everything.

This issue seems only to be with the CD-C mode, the XM always seems to work no matter what (as long as the XM Box is unplugged).
On CD-C mode, like i showed above, it can change everytime you turn the key off/on. I didn't see a pattern at all.
But one thing is for sure, when the XM is plugged in how its supposed to be, the DICE/Ipod does not work at all (No audio, controls, or CD-C Page). That, along with when its in CD-C Mode the XM sound is muffled as my previous post said.

I should also note, this is still the 3G Ipod, Unfortunately I don't have a newer one to test all this with right now. If I could know for sure these issues would go away with a newer Ipod, I would defiantly buy one.

Does anyone have a 2007 or 2008 that is running the Dice in CD-C Mode with XM still hooked up? If so, let me know how its working. Which Ipod do you have?

A number of people with 07's haven't had the issue you're having. We should swap your unit out.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:42 PM
Instructor

A number of people with 07's haven't had the issue you're having. We should swap your unit out.
Sounds like a good idea. Do I need to PM you my address, and then send you the other back? I have the Dice kit registered on the Dice website if that helps you track it. Username is krathbun

Let me know.
Thanks
Old 11-06-2007, 02:16 PM
Racer

Sounds like a good idea. Do I need to PM you my address, and then send you the other back? I have the Dice kit registered on the Dice website if that helps you track it. Username is krathbun

Let me know.
Thanks
PM me your address and email info. I'll email you a advanced exchange website with all the info you'll need.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:24 PM
Trucki!!

Let me know.
Thanks

All this taking apart your doing, I hope you have the unit placed behing the havoc controls, so its an easy one piece to pop out to change the unit.......

Quick Reply: Dice Vs. USAspec