Dice Vs. USAspec

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 06:06 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick@DICE
Just the R4.
The Dice website shows the kit I need is "i-Honda-R3_g2" and asks if I need the R4 cable for $20. Is there an R4 kit by itself? If so where does it show on the Dice website?
Old 07-09-2007, 06:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Himay
The Dice website shows the kit I need is "i-Honda-R3_g2" and asks if I need the R4 cable for $20. Is there an R4 kit by itself? If so where does it show on the Dice website?
The website sucks when it comes to the Honda and Acura. It's really annoying for me, I'm always getting questions about it and I'm sorry that it's such a pain.

Give me a call and I can do it over the phone - 888.342.3999 xt. 123
Or you can order it off another site.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:14 PM
Advanced

The website sucks when it comes to the Honda and Acura. It's really annoying for me, I'm always getting questions about it and I'm sorry that it's such a pain.

Give me a call and I can do it over the phone - 888.342.3999 xt. 123
Or you can order it off another site.
OK. So it is an "i-Honda R4" kit that I need and nothing else... Is it the same price of $159?
Old 07-09-2007, 06:18 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well that sucks.. I want iPod text, and I love satellite radio..
Old 07-09-2007, 06:19 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Timmahh
Well that sucks.. I want iPod text, and I love satellite radio..
Me too. I would settle for no text rather than give up my XM.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:22 PM
Racer

the r4 kit msrp's at $179. All other kits are $159.99
Old 07-09-2007, 07:11 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, it works just fine. The only issue is that you get that annoying airplane mode message but you can ignore it & that you can't change the music from the iPhone at this time.

It does have a AUX in. 3.5mm jack that can converted to a L/R RCA with a $2 adapter.
So I lose control of picking my playlists/artists/etc. from the iPhone screen? That's kind of a deal breaker. I thought you had the control via the head unit (i.e. skip to next song or next playlist) AND control through the iPhone/iPod.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:13 PM
Instructor

Oh, one more thing...that airplane mode thing for non-approved iPhone accessories: how do you (the accessory maker) get that to go away? What's so different about devices that ARE iPhone approved that makes this thing not appear?
Old 07-09-2007, 09:37 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by millerrh
So I lose control of picking my playlists/artists/etc. from the iPhone screen? That's kind of a deal breaker. I thought you had the control via the head unit (i.e. skip to next song or next playlist) AND control through the iPhone/iPod.
Yeah, I did't quite understand that either. Nick, you said "The only issue is that you get that annoying airplane mode message but you can ignore it & that you can't change the music from the iPhone at this time." which makes it sound like the second of the two issues is that "you can't change the music from the iPhone at this time". But that's not right is it?

Also, can you give us some retailers where we might find this. Don't have a Costco membership.

Finally, where can I find a guide on self-installing this unit. I called my Acura dealer and they said they don't do that kind of thing in the service department. They couldn't even refer me to where to get service manuals. I figure someone on here has a set of guided instructions (with pictures hopefully).

Thanks
Old 07-09-2007, 10:10 PM
Racer

Not possible -yet. Will it ever? We're working on it.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:12 PM
Racer

Oh, one more thing...that airplane mode thing for non-approved iPhone accessories: how do you (the accessory maker) get that to go away? What's so different about devices that ARE iPhone approved that makes this thing not appear?
Nothing really. There's a piece of hardware from Apple that we would need to install inside the kit but that would raise the price of each unit so it may not be worth it.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by AirlineMuseum.com
Yeah, I did't quite understand that either. Nick, you said "The only issue is that you get that annoying airplane mode message but you can ignore it & that you can't change the music from the iPhone at this time." which makes it sound like the second of the two issues is that "you can't change the music from the iPhone at this time". But that's not right is it?

Also, can you give us some retailers where we might find this. Don't have a Costco membership.

Finally, where can I find a guide on self-installing this unit. I called my Acura dealer and they said they don't do that kind of thing in the service department. They couldn't even refer me to where to get service manuals. I figure someone on here has a set of guided instructions (with pictures hopefully).

Thanks
That's sadly right. The iPhone locks out music controls. iPods are supposed to do this to, but we know a way around it. You can see the song information on the phone's standby screen but that's it. All song/playlist control would be done from the headunit. You'll be able to change song, album, playlist and audiobook chapter from the radio/steering wheel. Everything else on the phone remains unlocked.

Give me your zip code and I can see if I can find a place that will sell it - and I'll see if I can cook up a install guide.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:54 PM
4th Gear

Nick,
So in post # 15 of this thread:
Originally Posted by aznbo187
I didn't know we had a dice rep on our forum. That's a huge plus!

I was wondering, since I couldn't find this answer and you are the most qualified to answer.

With the dice, are you able to use your factory controls, and the ipod controls at the same time without having to switch over a switch?
Yes. Full control from both all the time. We have no other mode.
... are you just referring to the iPod, and not the iPhone?

Why does iPod lock out the controls? That is so annoying. My wife has a Mazda CX-7 with a dealer installed iPod connector and when you plug it in, a Mazda logo comes up on the iPod screen and you can't do anything with the iPod interface. are you saying this is a problem/feature of the iPod and not the Mazda connector?

I too must say this is a dealbreaker for me - I'm glad I read this as I was actually just about to place an order...

Are there any other connection kits that will allow the iPhone to be controlled directly?

You mentioned you are working on a fix for this - any guess on a timeframe for that?

Finally, when a fixed version does come out, can I redesign your website in exchange for a free one? I know you too have griped on these forums about website discrepancies, so this is not directed at you, but information such as this should be made very clear and easy to find on the website. Additionally the shopping cart leaves much to be desired and throws security warnings on every page (because there are http:// references on a https:// page)

thanks...
Old 07-09-2007, 10:56 PM
4th Gear

Actually, here's another thought:
I have an iTower from Sharper Image. They use their own system called ZipConnect. When I plug in the iPod or the iPhone I have full control of the music functions on both. Why then when I plug in a car connection kit does it disable these functions? What is different about one versus the other and why can't the car kits be designed to operate like the ZipConnect?
Old 07-09-2007, 11:14 PM
Advanced

Question

HELLO NICK@DICE...I have a question on the backside of the dice i pod cradle with video output, can I use the DOCK and A/V OUT put at the same time ........thx
Old 07-10-2007, 06:09 PM
Racer

Nick,
So in post # 15 of this thread:

... are you just referring to the iPod, and not the iPhone?

Why does iPod lock out the controls? That is so annoying. My wife has a Mazda CX-7 with a dealer installed iPod connector and when you plug it in, a Mazda logo comes up on the iPod screen and you can't do anything with the iPod interface. are you saying this is a problem/feature of the iPod and not the Mazda connector?

I too must say this is a dealbreaker for me - I'm glad I read this as I was actually just about to place an order...

Are there any other connection kits that will allow the iPhone to be controlled directly?

You mentioned you are working on a fix for this - any guess on a timeframe for that?

Finally, when a fixed version does come out, can I redesign your website in exchange for a free one? I know you too have griped on these forums about website discrepancies, so this is not directed at you, but information such as this should be made very clear and easy to find on the website. Additionally the shopping cart leaves much to be desired and throws security warnings on every page (because there are http:// references on a https:// page)

thanks...
Apple set it up so when you send out text the iPod and the iPhone locks itself, reasoning the only time that you're going to want text is on a remote screen, like a car radio. They did this so it can't be a distraction while you're driving and it's intentional. We knew a way around that for the iPod, so now we're looking for a way around that with the iPhone. There's no timeframe for this yet.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:14 PM
Racer

Actually, here's another thought:
I have an iTower from Sharper Image. They use their own system called ZipConnect. When I plug in the iPod or the iPhone I have full control of the music functions on both. Why then when I plug in a car connection kit does it disable these functions? What is different about one versus the other and why can't the car kits be designed to operate like the ZipConnect?
Simple - the iTower doesn't have a screen. It's using the iPod in 'Simple Mode' - it's giving a simple serial command to the iPod and it's not a complete communication connection as the iPod isn't sending any information back to the iTower.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by revolt
HELLO NICK@DICE...I have a question on the backside of the dice i pod cradle with video output, can I use the DOCK and A/V OUT put at the same time ........thx

Sure, no problem. You'll see the video on whatever screen you plug into and hear the audio through the car speakers.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:16 PM
Racer

And as far as I am aware there are no kits that allow you to use the iPhone directly - and still keep steering wheel + text display.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:14 AM
Instructor

And as far as I am aware there are no kits that allow you to use the iPhone directly - and still keep steering wheel + text display.
Nick, I just tried this functionality in a friends Accord who has the USA Spec unit and I can control it via the iPhone and use the steering wheel controls. No text display though.

I hope there is a workaround for that dang airplane mode warning. What an annoyance.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:58 AM
Racer

Nick, I just tried this functionality in a friends Accord who has the USA Spec unit and I can control it via the iPhone and use the steering wheel controls. No text display though.

I hope there is a workaround for that dang airplane mode warning. What an annoyance.
So they used it in simple mode. Was the playlist restriction still in place?
Old 07-11-2007, 12:06 PM
Instructor

I'm not sure what the playlist restriction is. I'm not too familiar with how these units work. All I know is he put it on CD changer mode in his car and I was able to mess around with the iPhone itself to select songs to play. Then whatever playlist was on (artist/genre/etc.) you could push the button on the steering wheel OR the "next" button on the iPod and it would go to the next song.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:06 PM
Racer

I'm not sure what the playlist restriction is. I'm not too familiar with how these units work. All I know is he put it on CD changer mode in his car and I was able to mess around with the iPhone itself to select songs to play. Then whatever playlist was on (artist/genre/etc.) you could push the button on the steering wheel OR the "next" button on the iPod and it would go to the next song.
The playlists are mapped to the 1-5 buttons on the headunit, it can't scroll past those. It sounds like it was in simple mode. You can do the same thing with ours by turning off Text and advanced controls.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:59 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nick why dont you guys intergrate a video output on this unit so we can fully utilize the potential of our ipod videos and future video output featured iphones??? do it.. i dare you !!! lol
Old 07-11-2007, 05:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by dennisil
Nick why dont you guys intergrate a video output on this unit so we can fully utilize the potential of our ipod videos and future video output featured iphones??? do it.. i dare you !!! lol
We do have a video output device: http://www.diceelectronics.com/Merch...de=DICE-CRADLE

And the iPhone doesn't look like it's ever going to have the ability to do video. It's lacking some hardware for it.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:46 PM
Advanced

Group Buy for Dice Ipod R4 Unit and R3

Today I spoke to the owner of Autotoys.com. He is giving us a group :gheyhug: buy. This offer is only good for one week and the group buy will start tomorrow (7/13). Here is the link http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/produ...roductid=10144

(R3 unit cost: $135.00 plus free shipping)
(R4 unit cost: $140.00 plus free shipping)
Old 07-13-2007, 09:35 AM
Advanced

Sweet! I'm in! Good job!

This will be the final piece so that I can complete my MG-25p - NAV integration!
Old 07-13-2007, 10:04 AM
Instructor

Nick thats sweet i didnt know about this cradle could you explain it a little further to me? will i need to use the top video output from the ipod an the 30 pin luwer doc- connector to work ? andhow dose this intergrate with the dice unit that displays text in the car???
Old 07-13-2007, 01:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by revolt
Today I spoke to the owner of Autotoys.com. He is giving us a group :gheyhug: buy. This offer is only good for one week and the group buy will start tomorrow (7/13). Here is the link http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/produ...roductid=10144

(R3 unit cost: $135.00 plus free shipping)
(R4 unit cost: $140.00 plus free shipping)
Group Buys usually have a set quanity that you have to buy in order to get the nice discount. Has Autotoys set that minimum order quanity?
Old 07-13-2007, 02:06 PM
Racer

On the back of the cradle there is the 30-pin connection + a 3.5mm Video out jack. You can then use a ipod video out cable there instead of the one on the top. It's an output only - we don't make the parts to tap into your navigation screen for video as t would be illegal to do so. But if you already have a screen kit installed all you do is plug in the video cable, and you have video.

The iPod doesn't know the difference from the cradle to the regular cable that ships with the DICE kit, you just plug in that cable to the cradle, it won't affect the performance or the text display.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:13 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thats actually a great deal, might consider buying the one with Text and selling my USAspec for like $100.

Yeah 3,000 posts
Old 07-13-2007, 02:49 PM
Instructor

thanks Nick looks like im going to have a PIE X3 Up for sale sometime soon!
Old 07-13-2007, 06:08 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by uncald4
Group Buys usually have a set quanity that you have to buy in order to get the nice discount. Has Autotoys set that minimum order quanity?
To be honest, i really dont know. I only bought 5 units from autotoys.com for my family members and i asked the owner if i can tell the forum about this great deal. He told me that it was okay.

If i have posted something wrong that i am not suppose to tell, please MODERATOR just delete this post.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:51 AM
Instructor

I was just looking at the HD DICE Radio receiver and wondering which antenna does it use? The XM antenna or is there a dedicated antenna that you have to run?
Old 07-14-2007, 11:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by borgit
I was just looking at the HD DICE Radio receiver and wondering which antenna does it use? The XM antenna or is there a dedicated antenna that you have to run?
HD Radio uses your AM/FM radio antenna. You don't have to run a new one.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:38 PM
Instructor

So do you have to unplug it from the regular AM/FM and plug it into the unit?

Thanks.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:30 PM
Pro

Hey Nick, does the DICE unit have an AUX IN input to hook up the sound for a DVD player? I saw what looked like a 1/4'' connection on the unit but I'm pretty sure that's not the same thing. I'm currently using the USA Spec and it has an extra AUX IN input that I use. Wondering if the DICE unit has the same available feature.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by slimmyjimmy
Hey Nick, does the DICE unit have an AUX IN input to hook up the sound for a DVD player? I saw what looked like a 1/4'' connection on the unit but I'm pretty sure that's not the same thing. I'm currently using the USA Spec and it has an extra AUX IN input that I use. Wondering if the DICE unit has the same available feature.
The 1/4 is no different than a RCA connection on a USA Spec. You can use it the same way you use the USA Spec Aux input.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by borgit
So do you have to unplug it from the regular AM/FM and plug it into the unit?

Thanks.
Yes - The Dice tuner has a powered signal amplifer and so does your headunit in the the car, if you had both attached to the antenna wire you'll cause some very bad damage to your car's audio system.

If you don't want to do this there is a wire antenna that attaches to the front windshield included in the Dice HD kit.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:23 AM
Advanced

Yes - The Dice tuner has a powered signal amplifer and so does your headunit in the the car, if you had both attached to the antenna wire you'll cause some very bad damage to your car's audio system.

If you don't want to do this there is a wire antenna that attaches to the front windshield included in the Dice HD kit.
HI Nick, The DICE unit antenna and the Factory unit antenna have different antenna plug (connector), how can u attach both together ?

Quick Reply: Dice Vs. USAspec