Dice Vs. USAspec

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 10:21 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by enormus
wow! talk about fast answers! Ok, so I can wait. Is there a version or firmware number I should ask for when ordering? I want to check with my local installer to see if he can order or will install it if I order . . .
I have a RSS feed setup. If someone posts the word iPod, iPhone, DICE, intergration, etc or in a thread I've posted in it tells me.

If he doesn't already have an account with us have him email me at nick@diceelectronics.com or give me a call. 888.342.3999 xt 123
Better to set it up now so he's good to go when the ordering time comes.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:44 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Nick-
Have you had any success with gettign the HD unit to work with the factory TL antenna?
Old 07-25-2007, 02:51 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by solislbc
Hi Nick-
Have you had any success with gettign the HD unit to work with the factory TL antenna?
We don't endorse the idea of using the factory antenna. Too much risk, since we use a powered signal amp.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:32 AM
Intermediate

Nick,
do you have any dealers/installers in central MA that you could direct me to.
and i just want to make sure. if i want text and dont care about xm i can get the r3, i do not need the r4. is this correct? thanks
Old 08-04-2007, 10:38 AM
1st Gear

R3 or R4?

Sorry for the question... but still a little confused trying to follow all the info on several threads..

I want:
Text capability for my iPod... I don't want XM at all.

I have:
04TL w/ Navi

I ordered:
Honda-R3_g2... no Y-cable...

Based on some posts, it seemed that I can just unplug my XM, plug in the Dice unit, et voila! I am good to go w/ iPod music and text... But I see that as I have Navi, do I really need the R4 cable? If I get the cable, I wouldn't even be plugging in the XM. Hopefully someone (Nick@dice??) can verify that I won't need the cable, else I need to order that too.
Thx.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:22 AM
Racer

Yes, you most certainly do need the r4 cable. You'll lose your navi without it.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:30 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by autotoys
There has some been debate on what will happen when XM and Sirius merge, you can probably find more info on some of the XM sites, but basically what it sums up is that XM and Sirius operated totally differently on seprate types of systems and it probably will not be possible to pick up a Sirius transmission with an XM tuner.

Alternatively, they can stream ALL of the Sirius content on XM by adding more channels and vice versa, but there has been some debate on whether Xm or Sirius has enough bandwidth (room) to do this.

There was talk that XM was going to steam down video (for in car entertainment) but I am not sure what happened, liability for accidents or just a bandwidth issue.
Of course if it's in car entertainment, it'll be only for the backseat. If the vehicle was modified to allow the driver to view video, then there's no libility for accidents because it's against the law to do so.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:59 PM
2004, Navi TL, Silver

I talked to a shop in San Jose about using the DICE unit with my iPhone. They said that the drawbacks to the DICE unit were that it does not charge the iPhone and that you cannot use the iPhone while it is plugged into the unit. Can anyone confirm these problems? Or better yet, does any one around San Jose have the latest DICE unit installed and want to let me buy them lunch and try my iPhone out in their car?

I've got an '04 w/ Navi and I haven't used my XM radio since the 3 free months ran out.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:23 PM
Racer

Their info was partially incorrect.

The DICE kit does not add charge to the battery. It won't allow the battery to discharge either. Meaning you can listen to music all day, talk on the phone and go online with it plugged in and you won't use any power. The iPhone requires more power than what an iPod does. At the moment, there are NO integration kits that will add charge the iPhone.

The iPod part of the iPhone is locked. The rest of it remains fully functional. You can still mess around with it. Even still, if you press the middle button while in the iPod part of it you can unlock it, but you'll lose text display.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:39 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
ok wait let me get this str8 i want to buy this altho i have 04 Non Navi...can i still see the text or no ? i should get the R3 right
Old 08-13-2007, 09:13 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by RBP_04TL
ok wait let me get this str8 i want to buy this altho i have 04 Non Navi...can i still see the text or no ? i should get the R3 right
You'll need the R3 and yes you'll have text.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:55 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
thnx bro
Old 09-05-2007, 06:27 PM
2004, Navi TL, Silver

So I finally got the DICE adapter installed on my car. It is the greatest thing EVER for my iPod nano. However, I cannot say the same about my iPhone. The jack is not made to fit snugly into the iPhone, so it randomly comes loose disabling half or sometimes all the DICE features. There is no fast forward / rewind (which is a must when you are listening to podcasts). When I turn the car off, the iPhone just keeps on playing like nothing has happened. Furthermore, when you unplug the iPhone from the DICE kit, it starts playing over the iPhone speaker. One thing it seems to have taken care of is the pesky interference noise I was getting when using the tape deck converter (rock). Based on how well the DICE kit works with the nano, I can't wait until they make something that works just as well with the iPhone.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:05 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Tyler
So I finally got the DICE adapter installed on my car. It is the greatest thing EVER for my iPod nano. However, I cannot say the same about my iPhone. The jack is not made to fit snugly into the iPhone, so it randomly comes loose disabling half or sometimes all the DICE features. There is no fast forward / rewind (which is a must when you are listening to podcasts). When I turn the car off, the iPhone just keeps on playing like nothing has happened. Furthermore, when you unplug the iPhone from the DICE kit, it starts playing over the iPhone speaker. One thing it seems to have taken care of is the pesky interference noise I was getting when using the tape deck converter (rock). Based on how well the DICE kit works with the nano, I can't wait until they make something that works just as well with the iPhone.
I'm suprised to hear you say that about he cable. The jack is exactly the same for all current iPod's. Make sure the iPhone doesn't have anything jammed in the slot, like some lint or something. As for the rest, annoying, ain't it? Apple says they're going to release another fix for it. Most of those problems cropped up with the first update.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:30 AM
2004, Navi TL, Silver

It just doesn't seem to go in as snugly as it does into the nano. I actually had my iPhone sent into apple because of the connection problem. When I got it back, it worked better, but still had a few problems.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:39 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Tyler
It just doesn't seem to go in as snugly as it does into the nano. I actually had my iPhone sent into apple because of the connection problem. When I got it back, it worked better, but still had a few problems.
I'm guessing it's still fudged up then, cause I have no problem going from my iPhone to my Nano or Video iPod's.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:55 PM
10th Gear

Any testing of the DICE kit with the new crop of iPods?

I know the new iPods are not hitting the retail locations until this weekend but was curious if you had any insight about their compatibility with the existing DICE R3/R4 kits.

I have a Nano 2G but am considering some of their newer offerings. I assume the jack remains standard but will the new software loads present a problem with the DICE kit?

Any thoughts Nick?

Thanks!
Old 09-07-2007, 08:14 PM
Racer

We ordered two of everything to see what's up so when we get those in (tuesday?) I'll let you know. I don't expect any issues at all. For instance, our iPod control code has been largely unchanged since the 4th gen laptop came out.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:45 PM
Air Force Two

DICE is the way to go.... just had mine put in this past Wednesday, and I'm SOOOO glad I did. Not sure how good USAspec is, but i'm very pleased with the DICE.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:19 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does anyone have pictures of the ipod text display in an Acura w/o Navi? I have an 04 TL w/o Navi.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:34 PM
10th Gear

Any further news on 3g Nano / iPod Classic Dice compatibility

Hey Nick,

Any new developments on the compatibility of the new iPods with the Dice R3/R4? That is, assuming you've actually received the new units by now.

I have a 2005 TL non-nav and previously purchased the R4 even though now I don't plan to retain XM but don't want to install the adaptor until I know it will work with the new generation iPods.

Thanks!!!
Old 09-14-2007, 12:48 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by nikonikousa
Hey Nick,

Any new developments on the compatibility of the new iPods with the Dice R3/R4? That is, assuming you've actually received the new units by now.

I have a 2005 TL non-nav and previously purchased the R4 even though now I don't plan to retain XM but don't want to install the adaptor until I know it will work with the new generation iPods.

Thanks!!!
Whoops, sorry. I have good news, and bad news.

Good news is that the kit works fine with the iPod. Text display, headunit control, steering wheel control, all work great. Bad news is that the iPod is remaining locked when you plug it in. You can reset it and gain control from the iPod but lose control from the car however. I don't know if there's going to be a way to unlock the newest generation of iPod's right now.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:52 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a question, as i dont know if this has been asked yet here.
but, will the dice unit work on canadian cars that have navi and no xm?
ive heard that it doesnt.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by lowendz
Just a question, as i dont know if this has been asked yet here.
but, will the dice unit work on canadian cars that have navi and no xm?
ive heard that it doesnt.
Depends on the year. So far it looks like if the US model supported it, so will the canadian models. In the TL they added XM in 04.

In cars that do not have XM, the kit will still work perfectly fine in CD mode.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:17 PM
10th Gear

Using an R4 without plugging in XM in Y jack

Nick,

I originally purchased the R4 for my 2005 TL non-nav but did not want to retain XM capability. Should I simply in the plug in R4 adaptor cable to the XM din plug in the head unit and not plug in the XM cable to the Y female jack or will that present a problem sir?

If this is not a workable solution, is it possible to exchange an R4 for an R3? (I purchased it over 2.5 months ago and the online vendor probably wouldn't let me do an exchange) However, it is still sealed in the original box.

Thanks!
Old 09-18-2007, 04:40 PM
Racer

Yes, just leave the XM unplugged. There's no need to get a different cable.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:59 PM
6th Gear

So on the 2007 TL with Nav, if I go with Dice can I have the iPod hidden away in my glove box or somewhere else and control it via the TL touchscreen? Will the iPod text show up on the display? Thanks for the help.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by gabrielcortes
So on the 2007 TL with Nav, if I go with Dice can I have the iPod hidden away in my glove box or somewhere else and control it via the TL touchscreen? Will the iPod text show up on the display? Thanks for the help.
Yes. You can stash the iPod and control it from your NAVI screen and steering wheel controls. You will have TEXT if you disable your XM. In order to display TEXT the DICE interface needs to use the XM's input.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:50 AM
7th Gear

I just installed the DICE this past weekend. I was very excited to test it, until the AUX audio source adapter broke when i tried to plug in my Audio cables from my DVD player. Now i'm rtying to get it replace by the product dealer. But an advice to others, the AUX connection is very fragile. I'm surprised they build it that way.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:38 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Beaner
I just installed the DICE this past weekend. I was very excited to test it, until the AUX audio source adapter broke when i tried to plug in my Audio cables from my DVD player. Now i'm rtying to get it replace by the product dealer. But an advice to others, the AUX connection is very fragile. I'm surprised they build it that way.
I've never had a complaint of a jack breaking reach my desk?
Old 10-01-2007, 01:11 PM
7th Gear

Perhaps some people haven't had to use the AUX option yet. But the connector is only being held by three weak soldered connections. A hard pull of the audio jack and this thing will break.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:40 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nick.

I have a 06 TL w/out Navi. I love my XM and would never leave it but I want to hardwire my 80GB Ipod Classic. Where can I buy your product in Charlotte NC (28209)?

Just to confirm what I've read so far in this thread-
I can keep XM and have Ipod but no text. Correct?

Can I control songs from steering wheel?
Old 10-02-2007, 04:26 PM
Racer

Your best bet is to oder it online. i'm not going to be in the office this week so i cant look up dealers.
you're right about the text and you will have steering wheel controls.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:58 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey Nick is the Dice unit playing well with the new generation ipods? See my problem, I currently have the USAspec

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167534
Old 10-07-2007, 11:34 AM
2004 TL

For those ditching xm radio, where is the best/easiest place to route your ipod for storage (ie glove box or under the armrest. Has anybody installed a mount in the glovebox or armrest to keep your ipod from getting beat up while driving around?
Old 10-11-2007, 08:11 AM
7th Gear

Nick, help me out.
I installed my Dice i-pod adapter to my Acura TL 2006 w/Nav & XM. I have a DVD player audio line going into the AUX input of the Dice unit. The problem i have is that the audio from XM radio station bleeds into the DVD player audio, when i have the DVD player playing. What can i do to resolve this issue? Also, the text display changes back and forth from "Dice" to the channel numbers. Please let me know how the dip switches should be setup on my dice unit.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:18 AM
Former Sponsor

Nick, help me out.
I installed my Dice i-pod adapter to my Acura TL 2006 w/Nav & XM. I have a DVD player audio line going into the AUX input of the Dice unit. The problem i have is that the audio from XM radio station bleeds into the DVD player audio, when i have the DVD player playing. What can i do to resolve this issue? Also, the text display changes back and forth from "Dice" to the channel numbers. Please let me know how the dip switches should be setup on my dice unit.
You need to unplug your XM brain in the trunk. It should be on the passenger side behind the carpet panel.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:13 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by uncald4
You need to unplug your XM brain in the trunk. It should be on the passenger side behind the carpet panel.
Will this get rid of my XM? I want to be able to retain my XM. which one is the XM cable?
Old 10-12-2007, 11:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Will this get rid of my XM? I want to be able to retain my XM. which one is the XM cable?
The XM cable is the one that plugs into the XM module. You can not have iPod TEXT and XM at the same time. If you want to retain your XM you will need to switch your DICE module into CD Changer Emulation Mode instead of XM emulation.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:09 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by uncald4
The XM cable is the one that plugs into the XM module. You can not have iPod TEXT and XM at the same time. If you want to retain your XM you will need to switch your DICE module into CD Changer Emulation Mode instead of XM emulation.

I don't care about not having the iPod text, after all i should already know what i have downloade in my iPod. How do i change into CD changer Emulation Mode ?

Quick Reply: Dice Vs. USAspec