Dice iPod Adaptor with Text Display

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 05:20 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aSPECtL06
Does this work with an 06 non-navi? Would text display and would one be able to use the steering wheel/console controls to control the iPod?
Absolutely. A navi screen is not required. Everything will work as you described.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:55 AM
Elegance

Dice adapter ordered

http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=9933

$155 and free shipping when using paypal
Old 12-30-2007, 11:39 PM
7th Gear

Dice for 2008 TL-S?

Did a search, but seem to find conflicting information.
  • Will the i-Honda-R4 iPod interface work with the 2008 TL-S?
  • If I choose to keep XM and use the Dice, will I be able to utilize the text capabilities?
Thanks!
Old 12-31-2007, 12:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by spy021
Did a search, but seem to find conflicting information.
  • Will the i-Honda-R4 iPod interface work with the 2008 TL-S?
  • If I choose to keep XM and use the Dice, will I be able to utilize the text capabilities?
Thanks!

Yep, the 2008 lineup works just fine with the kit.
Nope, you can't keep text from the iPod and XM.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nick@DICE
Absolutely. A navi screen is not required. Everything will work as you described.
What happens if the song name or artist name is too long? Does it cut off the last part like XM?

I too would like to purchase the Dice unit. I have a 06 non-navi as well. I would really like to keep XM, but sounds like I'll have to give up the text display from the iPod (I have a 30GB iPod).

Two quick questions,

1. Is there any noticable lag between when I hit the steering wheel control to change a song to when the song actually changes on the iPod?

2. How hard is it to install yourself? I would rather have someone from a car audio shop do it for me...I may end up breaking something on my car.

Does anyone have pictures of the text display on a non-navi?
Old 01-03-2008, 02:46 PM
Racer

What happens if the song name or artist name is too long? Does it cut off the last part like XM?

If it's over 16 characters per line, it will cut it off. If the title is REALLY long, the iPod will refuse to send it out at all.

I too would like to purchase the Dice unit. I have a 06 non-navi as well. I would really like to keep XM, but sounds like I'll have to give up the text display from the iPod (I have a 30GB iPod).

Yup. You gotta kill the XM for text.

Is there any noticable lag between when I hit the steering wheel control to change a song to when the song actually changes on the iPod?

Nope.

How hard is it to install yourself? I would rather have someone from a car audio shop do it for me...I may end up breaking something on my car.

Not terrible. Others here will chime in with details on the TL.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Instructor

Is there any noticable lag between when I hit the steering wheel control to change a song to when the song actually changes on the iPod?

Nope.
There is no lag once the stereo knows you want to change songs. One of 2 complaints I have with using the Dice in XM Mode is that you have to push and hold the CH+ button on the steering wheel before it will change. So many times I try to change tracks, and my finger slips off the button, and I end up changing it to "Playlist" mode or something without noticing.

In CDC mode, changing tracks works perfectly. I wish it would do the same in XM mode. Losing HFL on the navi screen with XM Mode is my second complaint..but that is not Dice's fault (I think).
Old 01-03-2008, 04:35 PM
Racer

sounds like your buttons got remapped. Have you tried pulling your battery for a minute and resetting the computer?
Old 01-03-2008, 04:44 PM
Banned

I'm still slightly confused on how the text display would work on a non-navi though. Let's say I'm playing a song that has artist name, title and album tags (in XM mode), what will I see on the text display (non-navi)?...the artist name only? I know that's the way it works for XM...usually you have to hit the "disp mode" button on the head unit to view other tags such as title.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 1OneLove
I'm still slightly confused on how the text display would work on a non-navi though. Let's say I'm playing a song that has artist name, title and album tags (in XM mode), what will I see on the text display (non-navi)?...the artist name only? I know that's the way it works for XM...usually you have to hit the "disp mode" button on the head unit to view other tags such as title.
It's the same with the DICE kit. We can't change the behavior of the car, so like before if you had to press the Disp key to change fields in SAT mode, the same is true for anything that emulated SAT mode will behave the same.

It will do Artist * Album on one field, and the song name on the other field.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Instructor

sounds like your buttons got remapped. Have you tried pulling your battery for a minute and resetting the computer?
It has always been this way. When in XM, if you push and hold the CH+ button, it beeps after a second, and you go up 1 channel. If you just push and release the button, it changes to the next preset (up or down).
When the Dice is in XM mode, it reacts the same exact way.
When the Dice is in CDC Mode, a quick push/release of the button changes tracks, which is the exact behavior of the CD's in the dash.

In XM mode, the Right knob changes tracks, while in CDC mode, the knob it useless, and the Seek+/- buttons change the track.

I much prefer the CDC behavior. And I am willing to give up text for it.

The problem Im having is that my dice doesnt initialize the ipod in CDC mode. I am going to send you a PM later to discuss that problem.

This is all for a 2007 TypeS, maybe the behavior is different on the 04-06's.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by nalek
It has always been this way. When in XM, if you push and hold the CH+ button, it beeps after a second, and you go up 1 channel. If you just push and release the button, it changes to the next preset (up or down).
When the Dice is in XM mode, it reacts the same exact way.
When the Dice is in CDC Mode, a quick push/release of the button changes tracks, which is the exact behavior of the CD's in the dash.

In XM mode, the Right knob changes tracks, while in CDC mode, the knob it useless, and the Seek+/- buttons change the track.

I much prefer the CDC behavior. And I am willing to give up text for it.

The problem Im having is that my dice doesnt initialize the ipod in CDC mode. I am going to send you a PM later to discuss that problem.

This is all for a 2007 TypeS, maybe the behavior is different on the 04-06's.
Yea, I understand - your buttons are remapped. Reset your computer. We've had a 07 TL-S' that do not behave like this. In fact, primary development for the original kit was done on it.

Reset the iPod to solve the sync issues.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:02 PM
Instructor

How do I reset the computer? Just by unplugging the battery for 10 min.? I have tried that before, and nothing has changed.

I was having problems with the startup on CDC before, got an RMA unit, and still having issues. It wont even charge the Ipod when plugged in.
I have yet to try this new unit on XM mode, but the last unit worked fine in XM, but didnt work on CDC.

Those problems were all with a 3G Ipod.. I just bought a 5.5G ipod so that I would be sure the old ipod wasnt the problem, and the same thing is happening, no charging or initialization at all. So I dont think resetting the ipod will fix it.

I need to switch it to XM, and see if it works.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:57 PM
Racer

If the cable running to the iPod is not TIGHTLY plugged in, the iPod won't charge.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:20 PM
Instructor

If the cable running to the iPod is not TIGHTLY plugged in, the iPod won't charge.
The first time I put the 5.5G in, i plugged it in, put it in the storage bin, and started the car....and it didnt work at all, just like my 3G, I was a little disappointed, but then when I took it out of the car, I noticed the ipod wasn't "clicked" in all the way, so after work, I made sure it was plugged all the way in. started the car, and nothing.
I think my cable might be broken because it doesnt click, but it still works fine in XM mode.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:22 AM
Banned

DICE feature support?

Hi,

de-lurking here...

1. Does the DICE unit support Pause, Rewind and Fast Forward on the iPod?

2. Also, how does it support podcasts?

I primarily use my iPod for listening to Podcasts and sometimes music.

3. Aside from XM, are there any functions that I will lose in my A/V system
when DICE is installed with text enabled?

Cheers.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:18 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MissPiggy
Hi,

de-lurking here...

Cheers.
If you have an 07+, you'll lose HFL on the Navi, and you'll lose AcuraLink

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173228

If you leave the dice in CDC mode, you wont lose anything.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:40 AM
Cruisin'

Installation Complete...Screen Shot View is Different

[IMG]Nice @ Dice my man I got a question for you and wonder if anyone else has the same thing after the installation.

So long story short, the wife bought it for me for Christmas and I'm lazy to install so I had Circuit City do the install for $70 which includes the lifetime installation guarantee. Basically they are responsible. I instructed them how I wanted it installed and they did the job right, got the box located in compartment just under the radio and dip switches set for the XM radio with text.

So no issues when I get in and hit the XM button, I'm good to go, HOWEVER, my question is about the screen shot I've attached. I noticed that each of my presets say "0" instead of 1-6 like I saw on the 1st picture posted. All other functions work fine from what I can tell and but wasn't sure if this is the way it's suppose to appear. If not, then it's possible Circuit City got something flipped on the install and they will make the adjustment... Take a look and let me know.

I got a 2005 TL...
Old 01-23-2008, 11:50 AM
Cruisin'

Nick or anyone else, no screen shot available, my bad, but I think I was pretty clear.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:00 PM
Banned

Question

Originally Posted by nalek
If you have an 07+, you'll lose HFL on the Navi, and you'll lose AcuraLink

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173228

If you leave the dice in CDC mode, you wont lose anything.
I've got a 06 TL w/Navi. So hopefully I'll be for #3.

Any other takers for #1 and #2? Nick?
Old 01-23-2008, 04:20 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi,

de-lurking here...

Cheers.
1. You keep all ipod controls, plus car controls

2. This unit doesn't transmit video signals to the navi screen. You will need the DOM unit (look in sponsored buy/sale/trade forum in off topic section) and a few little items also.

3. You will loose nothing else......
Old 01-23-2008, 08:53 PM
Banned

Question

Originally Posted by lembowski
1. You keep all ipod controls, plus car controls

2. This unit doesn't transmit video signals to the navi screen. You will need the DOM unit (look in sponsored buy/sale/trade forum in off topic section) and a few little items also.

3. You will loose nothing else......
Let me rephrase:

1. Can I pause/rewind/fastforward from my car controls (like I can on my iPod)?
2. I'm concerned only about audio podcasts and not video podcasts. Can I navigate my podcasts from the car controls?

Thanks.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:14 AM
Trucki!!

Let me rephrase:

1. Can I pause/rewind/fastforward from my car controls (like I can on my iPod)?
2. I'm concerned only about audio podcasts and not video podcasts. Can I navigate my podcasts from the car controls?

Thanks.
Like I said, plus car controls. So yes you get ipod controls.......and car controls.

For podcasts, I've never had one......so if they are regular audio files on the ipod then I assume it will work out fine.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:18 PM
Banned

Question

Originally Posted by lembowski
Like I said, plus car controls. So yes you get ipod controls.......and car controls.

For podcasts, I've never had one......so if they are regular audio files on the ipod then I assume it will work out fine.
Easy now...

I've never found a pause button on my 07TL/NAVI. So I still wonder how this is accomplished. I don't care about having access to the controls on my iPod, as it won't be easily accessible. What I am interested in is my steering wheel controls and the general stereo controls. Unless a button on the dash gets remapped to 'pause', then I don't think this can be done.

Another question...while listening to my iPod through the DICE, if I use the Hands-Free Link, will the DICE automatically pause my iPod and later resume when the HFL exits?

Update: just called DICE and asked the above questions. The answers are:

a. Pause can only be controlled from the ipod itself, not from the stereo or the stering wheel.

b. HFL use: when the HFL is active, the iPod is just muted and not paused. This is a big bummer for me since I will be missing some or much of my podcast.

Maybe some other product handles these situations nicely?
Old 01-24-2008, 04:32 PM
Instructor

I think when you turn the power off to the stereo, it pauses the song.

On my 07, HFL causes the ipod to pause too!
Old 01-24-2008, 07:05 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
so the DOM unit will transfer Video to Navi? I want to this to my ipod video 160GB.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:24 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Easy now...

I've never found a pause button on my 07TL/NAVI. So I still wonder how this is accomplished. I don't care about having access to the controls on my iPod, as it won't be easily accessible. What I am interested in is my steering wheel controls and the general stereo controls. Unless a button on the dash gets remapped to 'pause', then I don't think this can be done.

Another question...while listening to my iPod through the DICE, if I use the Hands-Free Link, will the DICE automatically pause my iPod and later resume when the HFL exits?

a. Pause can only be controlled from the ipod itself, not from the stereo or the stering wheel.

b. HFL use: when the HFL is active, the iPod is just muted and not paused. This is a big bummer for me since I will be missing some or much of my podcast.

To pause the iPod from your car controls, simply push the power button on your stereo. This effects pause on the iPod. Push it again to start playing music again. Make the iPod accessible so that when you get a call push the pause button directly on the iPod, instead of the stereo or car controls, to pause it. Problem solved so stop crying lil Ms. Piggy.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:23 PM
07 TL-Navi 5AT, NBP

Hmmm, reading these threads I thought I would see as I recall mine pausing. I tried it this morning on the way to work. I didn't actually make any calls, I just activated the HFL and had the nice lady read my phonebook entries to me. When I exited out of that the ipod picked up right where it left off. I tested it twice. Using Dice in text mode.. Ipod Photo, 60g, no idea what firmware version it is. Haven't docked it to my pc in months (it 'lives' in the car).

Funny how Dice themselves say it won't pause the ipod where mine definitely does, but then again Dice didn't tell anyone when you run in text mode, disconnect the xm module in the trunk to eliminate the xm/ipod text overwriting each other, you'll lose NAVI dial and Acuralink!

I will try again on the way home from work and check the software versions on both the ipod and the Dice.

Rick
Rick
Old 01-25-2008, 04:30 PM
07 TL-Navi 5AT, NBP

Ok, I'm home and verified that my DICE unit pauses my ipod. I made a 10 minute call to mom (killed 2 birds with one stone.. tested the pause question and took care of my weekly call to mom!).

07TL running Dice in XM/Text mode.

Dice Versions
IPOD - 1.10
Aux - 1.04
Core - 1.4002
Car - 1.7114

Ipod 1.2.1 (60G Ipod Photo)

Lastly, I watched the Ipod screen in the play mode, pressed HFL, and it switched to pause, cancelled HFL and it switched back to play.

I guess, at least for me, the HFL button indirectly is a pause button. Not sure how long it will stay in HFL mode without any voice input. I'm sure it times out eventually.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:58 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by rshanahan
Ok, I'm home and verified that my DICE unit pauses my ipod. I made a 10 minute call to mom (killed 2 birds with one stone.. tested the pause question and took care of my weekly call to mom!).

07TL running Dice in XM/Text mode.

Dice Versions
IPOD - 1.10
Aux - 1.04
Core - 1.4002
Car - 1.7114

Ipod 1.2.1 (60G Ipod Photo)

Lastly, I watched the Ipod screen in the play mode, pressed HFL, and it switched to pause, cancelled HFL and it switched back to play.

I guess, at least for me, the HFL button indirectly is a pause button. Not sure how long it will stay in HFL mode without any voice input. I'm sure it times out eventually.
What's happening Rick! Long time no see!

I have the DICE unit too, and it does pause...when it wants to apparenty. Mine did when I first got it for a couple of months...now it won't! Perhaps Nick can explain? I think it has to do with the type of iPod you have. I have an 80GB classic.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:58 PM
07 TL-Navi 5AT, NBP

Hey Darksom1! Yup, been hibernating and STILL haven't installed the basslink yet. I did break down and let a local audio shop run the power/gnd wires for me. I'm just lazy and now it's cold!

I think the ipod version may have something to do with it. You running in text or cdc mode? If in text mode, does it display what playlist you are playing (when hitting preset 2)?

Rick
Old 01-31-2008, 02:13 PM
Racer

Hi,

de-lurking here...

Cheers.
1. Yup, if you have a 4th Gen iPod or above.
2. It thinks the Podcasts are songs. So with the Silverline kit, just as long as you know the name of the padcaster or the name of podcast itself, you can find it easily on the screen.
3. Nope!
Old 01-31-2008, 02:17 PM
Racer

Hmm, that's new to me. If the controls and text appears as it's supposed to other than the 1-6 I'd say the computer bugged. If you want, you can disconnect the battery for a moment and that should reset anything.

Originally Posted by omari
[IMG]Nice @ Dice my man I got a question for you and wonder if anyone else has the same thing after the installation.

So long story short, the wife bought it for me for Christmas and I'm lazy to install so I had Circuit City do the install for $70 which includes the lifetime installation guarantee. Basically they are responsible. I instructed them how I wanted it installed and they did the job right, got the box located in compartment just under the radio and dip switches set for the XM radio with text.

So no issues when I get in and hit the XM button, I'm good to go, HOWEVER, my question is about the screen shot I've attached. I noticed that each of my presets say "0" instead of 1-6 like I saw on the 1st picture posted. All other functions work fine from what I can tell and but wasn't sure if this is the way it's suppose to appear. If not, then it's possible Circuit City got something flipped on the install and they will make the adjustment... Take a look and let me know.

I got a 2005 TL...
Old 01-31-2008, 02:19 PM
Racer

Easy now...

No, that's not correct. 'Pause' is nothing more than turning the radio off. The iPod will stop there. If a call comes in, it will pause the iPod.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:22 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by darksom1
What's happening Rick! Long time no see!

I have the DICE unit too, and it does pause...when it wants to apparenty. Mine did when I first got it for a couple of months...now it won't! Perhaps Nick can explain? I think it has to do with the type of iPod you have. I have an 80GB classic.
I think someone here made a boo-boo. I'm curious to know who she spoke to. It does matter what iPod you have however. 3rd gen's do not support pause, FF or RW.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:30 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

My DICE unit stopped showing text and I saw that the dip switch had been knocked down on one side, so I clicked it back up. Now, the screen just displays the check antenna box and no music. What should I do? I tried unplugging the unit then plugging it back in, still the same. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a sequence that you are supposed to follow? I can't see anything in the manual about how to do this correctly (get it back working right). Can someone tell me what to do, and what connection and time sequence I am supposed to do it in?

For example, if I need to reset it to play right - don't just say THAT! LOL! Take me thru the steps to do THAT. Like:

Unplug - wait __seconds - cut car on ..........you know, like that.

H-E-L-P!!!!!
Old 02-03-2008, 05:27 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Still no one???? Anybody???
Old 02-03-2008, 10:18 AM
B A N N E D

I've been skimming through this thread and can't seem to located the answers to my questions, so maybe someone can help.

I've got a 2007 type-S. Will this adaptor work in my specific model without disconnecting my XM radio?

How will I be able to access my iPod through my factory radio? If the car is shut off/turned on, will the iPod shutoff/turn on automatically also?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by darksom1
My DICE unit stopped showing text and I saw that the dip switch had been knocked down on one side, so I clicked it back up. Now, the screen just displays the check antenna box and no music. What should I do? I tried unplugging the unit then plugging it back in, still the same. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a sequence that you are supposed to follow? I can't see anything in the manual about how to do this correctly (get it back working right). Can someone tell me what to do, and what connection and time sequence I am supposed to do it in?

For example, if I need to reset it to play right - don't just say THAT! LOL! Take me thru the steps to do THAT. Like:

Unplug - wait __seconds - cut car on ..........you know, like that.

H-E-L-P!!!!!
So right now you have the DIP switches set for two UP and two DOWN? If so, you can reset it good a proper (and your radio at the same time) by pulling the radio fuse or the battery for a minute.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:05 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Igor911
I've been skimming through this thread and can't seem to located the answers to my questions, so maybe someone can help.

I've got a 2007 type-S. Will this adaptor work in my specific model without disconnecting my XM radio?

How will I be able to access my iPod through my factory radio? If the car is shut off/turned on, will the iPod shutoff/turn on automatically also?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Yes, you can use it in your car without losing XM. But if you keep XM, you cannot get text. Yes you will use the factory radio and it will turn the iPod on and off with the car.

Quick Reply: Dice iPod Adaptor with Text Display