Dice iPod Adaptor with Text Display

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 01:34 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TRK9
Was this question ever answered? I couldn't find a reply in this thread...

And signs indicate yes.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:20 PM
1st Gear

Greetings AZ from Kshields,

Ok, I have a couple questions.
First, how does the dice work for those of us who currently have the Acura Ipod link in their vehicles?

2nd, does the dice work any different if used in the AUX or CD-Changer inputs?

I'm really not satisfied with the Acura Ipod link but I really don't want to lose my XM radio.

07,WDP, TL
Old 09-24-2007, 02:23 PM
Instructor

Nick,

I have a 3G Ipod, with the Dice. Wondering if you could help me out.

I know that the 3G has limitations, and mine is working fine, but I was wondering if you could tell me everything you know as a limitation for the 3G. I am considering getting a new one if some things worked better.

Some things I noticed (besides whats on the Dice website)
-The ipod does not play on car startup. I have to hit "next track" to get it to play . Does this happen on the newer ipods, or is this a 3G limitation?
-Is there a way to pause the ipod from the headunit? On 3G, or any newer ipod? I cant figure this out. Im thinking there is a way on the newer ones, but not on the 3G
-Do the newer ipods pause when you switch sources (Dice to FM, or DICE to CD Changer?)

Any other limitations you know that would make it worth it to upgrade to a new ipod?

Also, do the new Ipod Classic's work with dice?

[EDIT] I have the R4gen2 on a 2007 TL Type S - Hooked up on XM with text if that helps.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nick@DICE
And signs indicate yes.
I figure the audio and controls would be no problem as there are other solutions for that, my question was about the text display.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by kshields
Greetings AZ from Kshields,

Ok, I have a couple questions.
First, how does the dice work for those of us who currently have the Acura Ipod link in their vehicles?

2nd, does the dice work any different if used in the AUX or CD-Changer inputs?

I'm really not satisfied with the Acura Ipod link but I really don't want to lose my XM radio.

07,WDP, TL
It replaces's the Acuralink.
I don't know what you mean by AUX input. This is a computer BUS connection, not simply a audio connection.
You don't have to give up XM - you just won't have text display.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:57 PM
Racer

All your problems are related to the 3rd gen - there's no way to manually pause (short of hitting the power button on the radio) but a newer iPod will pause when you switch to your XM or CD, etc etc. 4th gen and 5th gen will work correctly and will remain unlocked. The Classic iPod will work correct but will lock itself when connected. Meaning you cannot change the music from the iPod itself.

Originally Posted by nalek
Nick,

I have a 3G Ipod, with the Dice. Wondering if you could help me out.

I know that the 3G has limitations, and mine is working fine, but I was wondering if you could tell me everything you know as a limitation for the 3G. I am considering getting a new one if some things worked better.

Some things I noticed (besides whats on the Dice website)
-The ipod does not play on car startup. I have to hit "next track" to get it to play . Does this happen on the newer ipods, or is this a 3G limitation?
-Is there a way to pause the ipod from the headunit? On 3G, or any newer ipod? I cant figure this out. Im thinking there is a way on the newer ones, but not on the 3G
-Do the newer ipods pause when you switch sources (Dice to FM, or DICE to CD Changer?)

Any other limitations you know that would make it worth it to upgrade to a new ipod?

Also, do the new Ipod Classic's work with dice?

[EDIT] I have the R4gen2 on a 2007 TL Type S - Hooked up on XM with text if that helps.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:00 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TRK9
I figure the audio and controls would be no problem as there are other solutions for that, my question was about the text display.
If the US equilent model supported XM, so does the Canadian model. 04+ TL's, 05+ TSX's, 04+ RL's, 05+ MDX's, 07+ RDX's.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:22 PM
Safety Car

Received 340 Likes on 278 Posts
We figured you had more albums than artists so it helps narrow things down more.

When your iPod shuts itself down it will forget it's last-played position.

Nick,
Not sure what you mean by that last part. Mine shuts itself down every time I turn the key off, and picks back up from the same spot when I start the car again.

It's currently set to shuffle all four hundred songs.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:11 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by A SiQ TL
Nick,
Not sure what you mean by that last part. Mine shuts itself down every time I turn the key off, and picks back up from the same spot when I start the car again.

It's currently set to shuffle all four hundred songs.
If you leave your car off long enough, the iPod will shut down. Most of the time it's just 'sleeping'
Old 09-29-2007, 08:00 AM
2nd Gear

Just installed my dice adapter and man does it sound great. One thing i seem to be running into is being able to search by albums. I set it to preset 3 (oh yeah, non-navi 04 TL) and use the ch /- but the albums do not change.

Am I doing it wrong?
Old 09-30-2007, 03:45 PM
Advanced

Nick, which version should i buy , r3 or r4? I have a 04 canadian tl with navi.

thanks
Old 11-30-2007, 02:21 PM
Cruisin'

So after reading all these posts, I'm wondering two things:

1) Is there any reason to buy the USASpec over the DICE? I'm not concerned about the price differences...

2) I have almost 6,000 songs on my IPOD, and my "dream" would be to access any song within a matter of seconds. It sounds like using the DICE to do that via the steering wheel controls would take forever, so I'm wondering if using the IPOD directly is as simple as it sounds. Will the IPOD scroll through songs while it is connected to the DICE as quickly as when it is disconnected, or is it "bogged down" or slower somehow? Does that make sense? In other words, it is not a big deal for me to scroll through 6000 songs now with my IPOD because it scrolls really quickly....but do you lose that while it is connected to the car?

Thanks in advance!
Rob
Old 11-30-2007, 02:43 PM
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Rob C
So after reading all these posts, I'm wondering two things:

1) Is there any reason to buy the USASpec over the DICE? I'm not concerned about the price differences...
Not really. I would pick Dice only because I believe that they're the actual designer and manufacturer of the unit.

2) I have almost 6,000 songs on my IPOD, and my "dream" would be to access any song within a matter of seconds. It sounds like using the DICE to do that via the steering wheel controls would take forever, so I'm wondering if using the IPOD directly is as simple as it sounds. Will the IPOD scroll through songs while it is connected to the DICE as quickly as when it is disconnected, or is it "bogged down" or slower somehow? Does that make sense? In other words, it is not a big deal for me to scroll through 6000 songs now with my IPOD because it scrolls really quickly....but do you lose that while it is connected to the car?
I have an iPod 5th Gen 60gb unit that is pretty much full of music. Yes, you can still control your iPod while it's connected to the car stereo. I haven't noticed any slowdown in selecting music whether it's plugged in or not.

With a large music library, it's nearly impossible to pick your music using the radio & steering wheel controls. I find the best way to listen to my iPod is to load up a playlist and then put the iPod away. The steering wheel controls are great for skipping songs, etc. The Navi display shows the artist/album/title. The only reason you need to get the iPod out is to pick a different artist/album.

The Dice supports switching between playlists, but that feature is overrated. There is no visual display as to which playlist you're listening to - you have to deduce the playlist from the songs that start playing. If you only have 3 or 4 playlists, it's a little easier. But if you have 10 or 20, forget it.

You could switch to "CD" mode, which gives you direct access to 6 different playlists, but then you lose all text capability.

I will say the sound quality is awesome, though. Sooo much better than any FM-based solution. I'm quite pleased that I picked one up.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:08 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks Guys. I'm still bummed about the text thing, because I want to keep my XM with text, but I'm sick of waiting for the perfect solution. Plus, as some others have mentioned, Nick has been very helpful at answering questions, so that is another reason to choose DICE.....

I guess the only other potential option would be to go with a completely separate screen system like the Harmon Kardon Drive and Play....anyone have any comments comparing DICE with that system? I heard the sound quality was not as good?
Old 11-30-2007, 10:05 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by qqyy
Nick, which version should i buy , r3 or r4? I have a 04 canadian tl with navi.

thanks
R4 because you have navi :o
Old 11-30-2007, 10:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by hidden72
Not really. I would pick Dice only because I believe that they're the actual designer and manufacturer of the unit.

I have an iPod 5th Gen 60gb unit that is pretty much full of music. Yes, you can still control your iPod while it's connected to the car stereo. I haven't noticed any slowdown in selecting music whether it's plugged in or not.

With a large music library, it's nearly impossible to pick your music using the radio & steering wheel controls. I find the best way to listen to my iPod is to load up a playlist and then put the iPod away. The steering wheel controls are great for skipping songs, etc. The Navi display shows the artist/album/title. The only reason you need to get the iPod out is to pick a different artist/album.

The Dice supports switching between playlists, but that feature is overrated. There is no visual display as to which playlist you're listening to - you have to deduce the playlist from the songs that start playing. If you only have 3 or 4 playlists, it's a little easier. But if you have 10 or 20, forget it.

You could switch to "CD" mode, which gives you direct access to 6 different playlists, but then you lose all text capability.

I will say the sound quality is awesome, though. Sooo much better than any FM-based solution. I'm quite pleased that I picked one up.
Some savy owners make an Mp3 file with the name of the playlist as the title and if you use this site: http://www.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php
You can make the name of the playlist come out the speakers as well!

CD mode operates the same as it does in XM mode - you'll have unlimited playlist access.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:14 PM
Racer

Thanks Guys. I'm still bummed about the text thing, because I want to keep my XM with text, but I'm sick of waiting for the perfect solution. Plus, as some others have mentioned, Nick has been very helpful at answering questions, so that is another reason to choose DICE.....

I guess the only other potential option would be to go with a completely separate screen system like the Harmon Kardon Drive and Play....anyone have any comments comparing DICE with that system? I heard the sound quality was not as good?
I won't compare my stuff to the H&K stuff but I'll address the sound question. The H&K won't have a direct line in unless you add one with a AUX kit. So without that you will have a much lower sound quality with the FM transmitter that comes with it.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:41 AM
Cruisin'

I think I'm sold....if I could find the time away from our newborn to actually make this happen.

Nick - You said there was someone on this site who had a good deal on your system?

Thanks for the help!!!
Rob
Old 12-01-2007, 04:11 PM
6th Gear

I won't compare my stuff to the H&K stuff but I'll address the sound question. The H&K won't have a direct line in unless you add one with a AUX kit. So without that you will have a much lower sound quality with the FM transmitter that comes with it.
Nick

I have a 99 TL w/o Navi

My factory deck doesn't have a cd changer in the trunk or the in dash 6 cd changer...

Will I be able to control my nano 2G with your I20-HONDA R2 kit with my steering wheel controls? If not do you make a kit that will?

and if so...

How much delay to change tracks?

Will I be able to see text on my radio screen?

Thanks for your time...
Old 12-01-2007, 07:16 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ok, I've been reading a lot of these posts, and I am confused on a couple of issues. Maybe someone here can help?

First, my configuration:
06 Acura TL w/Navi
XM unplugged in trunk
R4 DICE unit, using Y cable, with Navi/XM plugged into it.
DICE module: iPod UP/UP, Car Down/Down

1) My iPod is working, but it just says "Connected/OK to disconnect" on the screen, but it won't do anything while I have it connected to the DICE unit. I can use/control it on the screen of the Navi, but nothing operates on the IPod. I thought you could do both? Is iPod supposed to be inoperable during use?

2) I saw a post that said you won't lose XM, just the text of XM or the text of DICE?? How can I have iPod use w/o text and XM? If it means going back behind the head unit, ouch - disregard! LOL!

Please no "short, one word" answers man cuz I'm really confused! LOL!

Help!
Old 12-02-2007, 12:52 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

^ No need to answer my last post! I looked under my seat and saw that my iPod cable leading to the module was slightly dislodged. Good thing I didn't install that module behind the dash huh?

The XM part I will probably do later today because I don't really care about the Navi onscreen display. You can't scroll song titles onscreen which would really make it a benefit, and you still have to go one-by-one to get to the next song. That makes it purely aesthetic as there is no functional benefit to keeping it on text. So why not just do it all from the iPod anyway right, especially since it's much faster and I already know the name of the song while it's playing. So I am going no text and keep my XM so I can enjoy the sports and other news, plus my area has weather and traffic updates because of where I live. This way I have max use of my setup!
Old 12-02-2007, 07:14 PM
Racer

I think I'm sold....if I could find the time away from our newborn to actually make this happen.

Nick - You said there was someone on this site who had a good deal on your system?

Thanks for the help!!!
Rob
Contact uncald4 here on the boards.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:16 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 99 TL infinity
Nick

I have a 99 TL w/o Navi

My factory deck doesn't have a cd changer in the trunk or the in dash 6 cd changer...

Will I be able to control my nano 2G with your I20-HONDA R2 kit with my steering wheel controls? If not do you make a kit that will?

and if so...

How much delay to change tracks?

Will I be able to see text on my radio screen?

Thanks for your time...
The R2 kit will work in your car the same as any other so yes you will have steering wheel control - but your car isn't capable of displaying text, sorry.

There isn't any delay in changing songs.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:09 AM
1st Gear

Does Track Random Work?

I recently uninstalled the Acura MusicLink and replaced it with the Dice module. Much better (I just need to find someplace to make a foam insert for the upper armrest so my iPod can sit in there all pretty).

However, it looks like the "Track Random" feature does not work and I have to set the shuffle on the iPod. Is that correct or am I doing something boneheaded?

Also, does the module ork with the new 3rd gen Nano?

I have an 06 TL w/Navi.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:36 PM
Racer

Sorry, you can't activate Shuffle from the headunit - since the iPod remains unlocked there's no way to tell it to shuffle....

The 3rd gen will work, but it will remain locked at all times.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:50 PM
Racer

To those who are experiencing a 'Pausing' problem with the new iPod Classic or 3rd gen Nano:

Apple released a new firmware that addresses this problem. Update your iPod's and please let me know what happens.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:44 AM
Elegance

one more thing, I asked before but never received an answer, but with having a regular mp3 player is there any advantage of the dice over the USA SPEC?? I may get an ipod in which I'll get the dice but i wouldn't buy the ipod for about a year. Thank you.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:17 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

To those who are experiencing a 'Pausing' problem with the new iPod Classic or 3rd gen Nano:

Apple released a new firmware that addresses this problem. Update your iPod's and please let me know what happens.
I have never experienced pausing problems on my 80GB Classic. Is the new version 1.0.3? That's the software I have and "check update" says it's the latest.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:36 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by lavo
one more thing, I asked before but never received an answer, but with having a regular mp3 player is there any advantage of the dice over the USA SPEC?? I may get an ipod in which I'll get the dice but i wouldn't buy the ipod for about a year. Thank you.
Not rly. Since all you're using is the AUX they're about the same.

Except for the fact with the DICE kit you can adjust the Gain, Treble, Mid, and Bass coming from the AUX port before it reaches the amp of your car so you can get a cleaner sound with ours with some tweaking on your part.

Ok, I lied. There's a very good reason to get the DICE.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:37 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by darksom1
I have never experienced pausing problems on my 80GB Classic. Is the new version 1.0.3? That's the software I have and "check update" says it's the latest.
Not everyone did, but there was alot of users who did. 1.03 is the latest.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:40 PM
...just not small.

3G locked?

Sorry, you can't activate Shuffle from the headunit - since the iPod remains unlocked there's no way to tell it to shuffle....

The 3rd gen will work, but it will remain locked at all times.

Nick,

First THANKS for the great info in this thread. I've settled on keeping XM text and mounting my ipod so I can see it's info at a glance. BUT...what do you mean by "locked at all times" above? Is this to say that the new Nano's screen and controls will be unavailable if the DICE unit is in CD-mode?

If so that kind of kills my idea doesn't it?

-jr.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:53 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by junyoure
Nick,

First THANKS for the great info in this thread. I've settled on keeping XM text and mounting my ipod so I can see it's info at a glance. BUT...what do you mean by "locked at all times" above? Is this to say that the new Nano's screen and controls will be unavailable if the DICE unit is in CD-mode?

If so that kind of kills my idea doesn't it?

-jr.
The Nano and Classic won't show any song info. Which is dumb since the iPhone and Touch will while locked.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:28 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

The Nano and Classic won't show any song info. Which is dumb since the iPhone and Touch will while locked.
This happens to me in SAT mode (text) as well. Should it in SAT mode? If I cut the car on and off a few times it shows it and works from the iPod, but most times I start the car up and it goes to this screen that says "Connected. Ok to disconnect". But it won't let me scroll or do anything. So you are saying this is normal in SAT mode as well?

Is there anyway to have control on a normal basis from my Classic? Which mode or setting gives this option. And how do I set it so that it does?

06 TL w/Navi/XM
80GB iPod Classic
Car down, iPod up (dips) for text
Old 12-07-2007, 10:51 AM
...just not small.

locked 3G Ipod Nano and Classic

What a crock...!
So to eat my cake and have it too, I've got to upgrade to an Iphone or iPod Touch. Run it in CD-mode and mount it where I can see the song info.

Right?
Old 12-07-2007, 12:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by darksom1
This happens to me in SAT mode (text) as well. Should it in SAT mode? If I cut the car on and off a few times it shows it and works from the iPod, but most times I start the car up and it goes to this screen that says "Connected. Ok to disconnect". But it won't let me scroll or do anything. So you are saying this is normal in SAT mode as well?

Is there anyway to have control on a normal basis from my Classic? Which mode or setting gives this option. And how do I set it so that it does?

06 TL w/Navi/XM
80GB iPod Classic
Car down, iPod up (dips) for text
It's the same in SAT mode. This is Apple's doing, not ours. You could put the kit in Simple mode but you'll lose headunit control and text.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:26 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by junyoure
What a crock...!
So to eat my cake and have it too, I've got to upgrade to an Iphone or iPod Touch. Run it in CD-mode and mount it where I can see the song info.

Right?
Yes, but keep in mind that it will ONLY show the song name, and only on the standby screen.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:48 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

It's the same in SAT mode. This is Apple's doing, not ours. You could put the kit in Simple mode but you'll lose headunit control and text.
AARRGGHH!!! That sucks like hell!!!!
Old 12-09-2007, 03:49 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After perusing eight pages about the DICE unit I think I'm sold!

A few questions (keep in mind I'm not that technically gifted like many of you seem to be!):

I have an '05 TL with navigation with XM. I don't care about XM and will end the subscription when it ends in a few months. What version should I consider the R3 or R4?

I have an iPod Touch. Are there any issues with the new version of the iPod?

Does DICE have any recommended installer lists? I don't want/think I could install it myself. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Yakuza70
After perusing eight pages about the DICE unit I think I'm sold!

A few questions (keep in mind I'm not that technically gifted like many of you seem to be!):

I have an '05 TL with navigation with XM. I don't care about XM and will end the subscription when it ends in a few months. What version should I consider the R3 or R4?

I have an iPod Touch. Are there any issues with the new version of the iPod?

Does DICE have any recommended installer lists? I don't want/think I could install it myself. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area.
You need the R4 since you have navigation. It will work fine with the Touch - and as for an installer, we direct alot of traffic to Bay Car stereo.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Does this work with an 06 non-navi? Would text display and would one be able to use the steering wheel/console controls to control the iPod?

Quick Reply: Dice iPod Adaptor with Text Display