Dice iPod Adaptor with Text Display

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 12:49 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kefler
If you read back on Page3, Nick writes:

This is just how the acura headunit works. It doesn't allow for text from CD changers.

That said.... What if DICE designed a box that was a "man in the middle" for the XM interface? Basically the headunit would only see 1 thing out there, and when ipod was active, the DICE unit would send audio/text from it (and would somehow have to pass thorugh some commands to the XM module to keep it happy).

And then the DICE box would have an XM mode (done by a switch?) in which case it would pass through audio from the XM unit and relay all commands that come to it through to the XM unit. The key here would be the DICE box would have to keep the XM unit happy when it was 'cut off' from the head unit by emulating some of the commands from the head unit.

It seems like most people w/ 3rd gen tl's would be willing to pay extra for it (well, atleast those who like XM).
I've been kind of wondering the same thing; maybe there is a way to make it work..

just throwin this out there

Say a new model of the dice adapter ties into both the XM port with an XM passthrough and the CD-Changer port..

so maybe...

You put the system into CD Changer mode
The dice unit, which is currently in XM "Pass-Thru" mode sees activity on the CD-Changer port; thus causing it to chage to iPod Mode.

You then change back to XM, and the system is now displaying iPod text from the Dice Adapter

Then maybe when you're done you go back to CD-Changer, the dice unit once again detects activity on that port, and switches back to XM "Pass-Thru" to once again pass XM audio and text to the head unit.

Does that sound at all possible? I know it's a little off topic, but if the dice unit could use the activity/signal from the CD-Changer power as a "soft toggle switch" to override/allow the XM audio and text to pass to the head unit.. that would be neat!

So I guess..

Turn the radio on
Push the XM button; you hear your XM radio and see the text
Push the CD button twice to enter CD-Changer Mode
The Dice unit detects the activity on the CD Changer port and overrides the audio and text being sent to the XM Port. You then switch to the XM port and you are now seeing your iPod text and enjoying the music

To change back to XM you would once again enter CD-Changer mode, when the dice unit detects CD-Changer port activity again it releases it's override and allows XM audio and text to pass to the HU

If that's possible and dice uses something like that I better get a nice check! =p
Old 08-30-2007, 12:57 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Trying to think of how I can make a flow chart out of this hehe..

To listen to the iPod:
Press the "Disc" button twice on head unit -> DICE unit monitoring that port detects activity -> XM Source disabled, iPod input activated -> XM Button Pressed = Listening / viewing iPod source

To revert to XM:
Press the "Disc" Button twice on head unit -> DICE unit monitoring that port detects activity again and reverts back -> iPod source disabled & powered off, XM input activated -> XM Button Pressed = Listening / viewing XM source

what do you think Nick ?
Old 08-30-2007, 12:42 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

damnit. someone read and comment.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:24 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're making it way more complicated than it has to be; it's very possible to do but it's all about cost cost cost. If it was a seperate box it would get expensive to the consumer since. If it to be in any way cost effective (and reliable) such a 'switch' would have to be built into the same box. But then there's the cost of re-tooling and development would have to start from scratch on the entire product line.

Originally Posted by Timmahh
I've been kind of wondering the same thing; maybe there is a way to make it work..

just throwin this out there

Say a new model of the dice adapter ties into both the XM port with an XM passthrough and the CD-Changer port..

so maybe...

You put the system into CD Changer mode
The dice unit, which is currently in XM "Pass-Thru" mode sees activity on the CD-Changer port; thus causing it to chage to iPod Mode.

You then change back to XM, and the system is now displaying iPod text from the Dice Adapter

Then maybe when you're done you go back to CD-Changer, the dice unit once again detects activity on that port, and switches back to XM "Pass-Thru" to once again pass XM audio and text to the head unit.

Does that sound at all possible? I know it's a little off topic, but if the dice unit could use the activity/signal from the CD-Changer power as a "soft toggle switch" to override/allow the XM audio and text to pass to the head unit.. that would be neat!

So I guess..

Turn the radio on
Push the XM button; you hear your XM radio and see the text
Push the CD button twice to enter CD-Changer Mode
The Dice unit detects the activity on the CD Changer port and overrides the audio and text being sent to the XM Port. You then switch to the XM port and you are now seeing your iPod text and enjoying the music

To change back to XM you would once again enter CD-Changer mode, when the dice unit detects CD-Changer port activity again it releases it's override and allows XM audio and text to pass to the HU

If that's possible and dice uses something like that I better get a nice check! =p
Old 08-30-2007, 02:53 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Originally Posted by Nick@DICE
You're making it way more complicated than it has to be; it's very possible to do but it's all about cost cost cost. If it was a seperate box it would get expensive to the consumer since. If it to be in any way cost effective (and reliable) such a 'switch' would have to be built into the same box. But then there's the cost of re-tooling and development would have to start from scratch on the entire product line.

I was thinking along the lines of..

One box, four connectors

You would remove the connector going to the XM port on the factory head unit, and plut it into the "XM Input" port on the unit. You would then take a cable and plug it into "XM Output" on the unit and plug it into the XM port on the factory head unit. Two cables remaining; one goes into the iPod port on the unit and the other connects to the cd-changer port on the factory head unit and the remaining port on the unit.

So, one unit, four cables. The dice system simply monitors activity on the changer port and when it sees a signal it toggles inputs between XM and the iPod..
Old 08-30-2007, 03:20 PM
Racer

I was thinking along the lines of..

One box, four connectors

You would remove the connector going to the XM port on the factory head unit, and plut it into the "XM Input" port on the unit. You would then take a cable and plug it into "XM Output" on the unit and plug it into the XM port on the factory head unit. Two cables remaining; one goes into the iPod port on the unit and the other connects to the cd-changer port on the factory head unit and the remaining port on the unit.

So, one unit, four cables. The dice system simply monitors activity on the changer port and when it sees a signal it toggles inputs between XM and the iPod..
The back of the headunit only has one inport for all accessories. They're daisy-chained into one port.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:23 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

oh

i thought there was a seperate CD Changer port

well damnit i just spent 15 minutes in paint trying to draw something up.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:26 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

well wait a minute then if it's one port how come XM can pass text ?

anywho here's my little lame drawing:

Old 08-30-2007, 03:33 PM
Racer

well wait a minute then if it's one port how come XM can pass text ?

Purely because of software. Honda only added text input from a XM source. If they added it to a CDC source it would take us less than a day to have it implemented and perfect.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:35 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Jerks. Someone get the source code!!

I wonder if something can be hacked so that when you enter cd-changer mode it loads the XM stuff o_O

I think what i'm talking about might still be possible though - just more complicated now since it's one port, but i'm assuming certain commands are sent out of the accessory port on the head unit, so maybe when the cd-changer command is detected it will swap the inputs.. though one port makes this much more confusing and would require a lot more programming I think
Old 08-30-2007, 03:59 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,830 Likes on 4,281 Posts
Seems like a new head unit that can accomodate the ipod would be easier, wouldn't it?

I just need an installer, since i have no interest in XM.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:08 PM
07 TL-Navi 5AT, NBP

Thumbs up Hats off to Dice !!

I purchased a Dice unit back in July but haven't had the nerve to tear into my 07 TL until today.

Kudo's to the folks and threads here at the Zine for quick tips on taking apart the dash, with those and the 'official' Honda Music Link documentation it was a snap (except for removing the vents, I didn't see ANY little hole to use with a hook to pull the assembly out and verified none once it was out). Nothing broken, no parts left over!!

I had a few difficulties, first with my radio code.. The little card I got had a 4 digit code and serial number for the navi, that went fine. The radio code, well, that was 8 digits and had a 0 and a 9. Everywhere states that the radio code is 5 digits (1-6). I called my dealer and they gave me the code.. I believe the sticker on the security card is either the serial number or something else!!! It's written down now (and on my profile on Acura Owner Link)

Anyway, back to the testing. I had the Y cable but do not subscribe to XM so didn't plug in the disconnected xm cable. Nuttin honey. Hmmm, does it need to be plugged in anyway?? So I did and now the ipod is alive ALONG with XM audio...Ok, I unplugged the xm cable and all is fine. I think the Dice was initializing or something (or the ipod was 'asleep').

Anyway, now it's playing but I have xm text intermixed with Dice text. I know the manual says that XM needs to be disconnected to use the Dice in text mode, but isn't that accomplished by unplugging the cable I already did?

A quick call to Dice tech support and Adam was quick to understand my problem and told me exactly where to find the xm module in the trunk and that it too had to be disconnected. He even warned me about sharp edges and to be careful not to cut myself!! A fact I've known for over 25 years installing car audio (yet I did not go un-cut, gashed my finger putting the radio back in...arrgh!).

Anyway it's working like a champ, and after reading the last 3 pages of this thread my question about steering wheel controls (holding to skip tracks) was answered and tested to work perfect! Haven't given it a road test, will do this weekend. Now all I need to do is get up the nerve to install my Basslink II I've had since March!

Kudo's to DICE and their superb tech support and all of you Acurazine guys!!!
Old 08-30-2007, 04:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by pttl
Seems like a new head unit that can accomodate the ipod would be easier, wouldn't it?

I just need an installer, since i have no interest in XM.

not'rly since you lose that OEM look, you'll lose Navigation if you had it from the factory, and you'll most likely lose steering wheel controls.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by rshanahan
I purchased a Dice unit back in July but haven't had the nerve to tear into my 07 TL until today.

Kudo's to the folks and threads here at the Zine for quick tips on taking apart the dash, with those and the 'official' Honda Music Link documentation it was a snap (except for removing the vents, I didn't see ANY little hole to use with a hook to pull the assembly out and verified none once it was out). Nothing broken, no parts left over!!

I had a few difficulties, first with my radio code.. The little card I got had a 4 digit code and serial number for the navi, that went fine. The radio code, well, that was 8 digits and had a 0 and a 9. Everywhere states that the radio code is 5 digits (1-6). I called my dealer and they gave me the code.. I believe the sticker on the security card is either the serial number or something else!!! It's written down now (and on my profile on Acura Owner Link)

Anyway, back to the testing. I had the Y cable but do not subscribe to XM so didn't plug in the disconnected xm cable. Nuttin honey. Hmmm, does it need to be plugged in anyway?? So I did and now the ipod is alive ALONG with XM audio...Ok, I unplugged the xm cable and all is fine. I think the Dice was initializing or something (or the ipod was 'asleep').

Anyway, now it's playing but I have xm text intermixed with Dice text. I know the manual says that XM needs to be disconnected to use the Dice in text mode, but isn't that accomplished by unplugging the cable I already did?

A quick call to Dice tech support and Adam was quick to understand my problem and told me exactly where to find the xm module in the trunk and that it too had to be disconnected. He even warned me about sharp edges and to be careful not to cut myself!! A fact I've known for over 25 years installing car audio (yet I did not go un-cut, gashed my finger putting the radio back in...arrgh!).

Anyway it's working like a champ, and after reading the last 3 pages of this thread my question about steering wheel controls (holding to skip tracks) was answered and tested to work perfect! Haven't given it a road test, will do this weekend. Now all I need to do is get up the nerve to install my Basslink II I've had since March!

Kudo's to DICE and their superb tech support and all of you Acurazine guys!!!

Congrats on your work. Enjoy it.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:22 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Nick-

Great product. Installed and Rockin!

One question, will the unit degregate the sound of my xm signal. I don't know if i'm imagining this but I think I lost some volume.

Also, have you had any luck with any specific ground loop isolator for the aux input.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by solislbc
Hi Nick-

Great product. Installed and Rockin!

One question, will the unit degregate the sound of my xm signal. I don't know if i'm imagining this but I think I lost some volume.

Also, have you had any luck with any specific ground loop isolator for the aux input.
Whenever you add cable and connectors you're going to lose a little power. The Y-cable is spec'd to a good quality so I don't expect you to lose sound quality, but you should expect to increase your volume a little. If you find yourself having to turn up the volume alot to listen to XM, something's up with the cabling. Check that everything is nice and tight, and that you don't have a bent pin.

You shouldn't need a isolator, the Aux jack is grounded to your stereo already.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:16 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Ground Isolator

Nick -
What could be causing the engine noise when i go into AUX mode? I have an mp4 unit attached that is pulling power from the cig lighter.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by solislbc
Nick -
What could be causing the engine noise when i go into AUX mode? I have an mp4 unit attached that is pulling power from the cig lighter.
Because you have it plugged into the cig lighter. Use a ground-loop on that.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:45 AM
Intermediate

This sounds nice, I want to upgrade from my fm transmitter after I install my sound system here in a few days. Just to be clear, can I use the steering wheel controls to skip from track to track? Also how much should I be paying for the unit, and the install?
Old 09-04-2007, 04:53 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Yay! My DICE unit is here....

.. and now my car is in the shop!

Maybe i'll install this and my AEM CAI I ordered last night at the same time! =p
Old 09-04-2007, 06:28 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ajil
This sounds nice, I want to upgrade from my fm transmitter after I install my sound system here in a few days. Just to be clear, can I use the steering wheel controls to skip from track to track? Also how much should I be paying for the unit, and the install?
Yes.

PM uncald4 for pricing for Acurazine members.

Install should take less than an hour for a good installer. Try not to pay more than an hour's worth.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:56 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Nick,
i have a 2005 tsx w/nav and i just got a dice unit with y cable. the ipod seems to work and the controls seem to work, but i hear the xm and the ipod at the same time and i only see xm text on the nav screen. the stereo shop even tried to unplug the factory xm unit in the trunk but then i dont get any controls and the headup display on the car reads "xm loading" any ideas?

thanx
Old 09-08-2007, 12:16 AM
Safety Car

Received 340 Likes on 278 Posts
Yay! My DICE unit is here....

.. and now my car is in the shop!

Maybe i'll install this and my AEM CAI I ordered last night at the same time! =p

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...16&postcount=7
Old 09-08-2007, 02:42 AM
4th Gear

I don't have an acura, but purchased the dice i-honda-r3 and am now on the second unit and both have had problems with not working about 50% of the time when the car starts up. I have a 2007 Honda Pilot EX that is XM ready but does not have XM. Tried both SAT and CDC mode and that makes no difference. When the car is turned on, the XM option (if in sat mode) isn't available.

I'm hoping Nick will get with me because I saw once in this thread where he asked if anyone is having the "start up issue" but I never saw any talk about the start up issue in the rest of the thread. However, I read at this blog that several other people have had it:

http://pintmaster.com/20061105/dice-...-honda-accord/

I would like to know if there is anyway to solve this? The company I bought it from wants to charge me a 25% restocking fee but I think this is unfair since it is defective! They say "these units are rock solid" so " it must be your factory radio that is defective".

Nick can you help me with any information on this. I don't think Dice will help without me registering it and if I register it the company I bought it from won't take it back. I waited almost 2 months after they received my first unit back for them to send out the 2nd unit to try and now I only have another 12 days to return this so I have to figure out if there is any hope of this unit ever working in my car like it is supposed to.l
Old 09-09-2007, 08:12 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Lynn_ipod_lover
I don't have an acura, but purchased the dice i-honda-r3 and am now on the second unit and both have had problems with not working about 50% of the time when the car starts up. I have a 2007 Honda Pilot EX that is XM ready but does not have XM. Tried both SAT and CDC mode and that makes no difference. When the car is turned on, the XM option (if in sat mode) isn't available.

I'm hoping Nick will get with me because I saw once in this thread where he asked if anyone is having the "start up issue" but I never saw any talk about the start up issue in the rest of the thread. However, I read at this blog that several other people have had it:

http://pintmaster.com/20061105/dice-...-honda-accord/

I would like to know if there is anyway to solve this? The company I bought it from wants to charge me a 25% restocking fee but I think this is unfair since it is defective! They say "these units are rock solid" so " it must be your factory radio that is defective".

Nick can you help me with any information on this. I don't think Dice will help without me registering it and if I register it the company I bought it from won't take it back. I waited almost 2 months after they received my first unit back for them to send out the 2nd unit to try and now I only have another 12 days to return this so I have to figure out if there is any hope of this unit ever working in my car like it is supposed to.l
A number of people are having this issue over in an audio/video thread (including me). I have a TSX and 90% of the time I have to cycle the car ignition to get my DICE unit to start up. Nick says this is a known issue and they're working on it, but it's been several months and I haven't heard anything.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:32 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by jswim99
A number of people are having this issue over in an audio/video thread (including me). I have a TSX and 90% of the time I have to cycle the car ignition to get my DICE unit to start up. Nick says this is a known issue and they're working on it, but it's been several months and I haven't heard anything.
Thanks for pointing me to this additional information jswim99!
Old 09-09-2007, 09:43 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by jswim99
Any chance you can provide a link to the thread you're talking about so I can show to the company that's trying to charge me a restocking fee because they say the unit is not defective. I've looked around but couldn't find it.

Thanks!
Old 09-09-2007, 09:20 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Installed my DICE unit today - love it! I opted for CD-Changer mode because I enjoy XM; the audio is fantastic! I burned a few songs to a CD about a week ago; they sound horrible compared to the direct iPod connection.

Install was pretty easy; hardest part is getting the interior apart and finding a mounting location but I think I did pretty good.. I have an extra screw though =/
Old 09-10-2007, 06:26 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Lynn_ipod_lover
Any chance you can provide a link to the thread you're talking about so I can show to the company that's trying to charge me a restocking fee because they say the unit is not defective. I've looked around but couldn't find it.

Thanks!
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...9&page=1&pp=25
Old 09-11-2007, 12:21 AM
5th Gear

Hope this hasn't been answered somewhere else already.. I've read little bits here and there in another thread about being able to use the HD radio unit AND the iPod interface in tandem. What are the details on this? If I sacrifice XM, will I be able to switch between HD Radio and the ipod and have text on both? Or do they have to run into the radio separately with the ipod into the CDC and the HD into the XM spot (or, perhaps, vice-versa)?
Old 09-12-2007, 09:40 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does anyone have pictures of the ipod text display in an Acura w/o Navi? I have an 04 TL w/o Navi.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:57 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,830 Likes on 4,281 Posts
Installed my DICE unit today - love it! I opted for CD-Changer mode because I enjoy XM; the audio is fantastic! I burned a few songs to a CD about a week ago; they sound horrible compared to the direct iPod connection.

Install was pretty easy; hardest part is getting the interior apart and finding a mounting location but I think I did pretty good.. I have an extra screw though =/

Did you have instructions on how to get to your head unit, and take your interior apart, or did you just 'wing it'?
Old 09-14-2007, 02:50 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
The instructions on accessing the head unit can be found in both the 3G TL Garage and Audio/Electronic FAQ.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:45 PM
2nd Gear

Controlling the iPod

All,

I just want to thank the community for this great discussion. After going to my Acura dealer today and being informed that the next gen Music Link system is still not available (with no release date in sight), I nearly resorted to an iPod tape player for my 2006 TL (w/navi).

From what I gather, I will go with the CD Mode option for the DICE since I do like and use XM radio. Will I be able to flip through tracks using the CD controls? Can I use both the controls on the streering well as well as the "factory CD deck"? Also, does fast forwarding through songs work using the "factory CD deck"?
Finally, can I also just control the iPod by using the iPod interface itself? All my music and podcasts are organized by playlists, so I want to be able to navigate by playlists. I don't mind if I have to navigate by playlist using the iPod rather than the Acura music system controls.

Thanks,

AC
Old 09-22-2007, 01:39 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by AC77
All,

I just want to thank the community for this great discussion. After going to my Acura dealer today and being informed that the next gen Music Link system is still not available (with no release date in sight), I nearly resorted to an iPod tape player for my 2006 TL (w/navi).

From what I gather, I will go with the CD Mode option for the DICE since I do like and use XM radio. Will I be able to flip through tracks using the CD controls? Can I use both the controls on the streering well as well as the "factory CD deck"? Also, does fast forwarding through songs work using the "factory CD deck"?
Finally, can I also just control the iPod by using the iPod interface itself? All my music and podcasts are organized by playlists, so I want to be able to navigate by playlists. I don't mind if I have to navigate by playlist using the iPod rather than the Acura music system controls.

Thanks,

AC
You'll be able to use the deck and the steering wheel. You can change playlists by the car's controls as well. If you have a last gen iPod, you'll be able to have control of the iPod as well.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:43 PM
Safety Car

ok, I just finished installing mine, and I love it. Since I mainly just shuffle all the songs on my nano and skip the ones I don't want to hear, I was hoping to be able to do the same thing.
The text works great on both screens.

It started playing song 1 of 4hundred something, I can see whats playing on either display, and skip songs using the steering wheel. It remembers where it left off when the ignition is turned off, or switch to CD or radio, and picks up from there when you go back to SAT.
The only thing I wish it did was search by artist instead of album, but I guess I can always use the ipod itself for that.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:19 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

^^ can that be changed via iTunes settings??

Congrats on the install by the way..
Old 09-23-2007, 11:08 PM
Safety Car

no, thats the way the DICE unit uses the presets. There is no option for scrolling by artist.

Thanks, you're one of the ones that talked me into doing it myself
Old 09-24-2007, 01:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Canadian Mike
Anyone in Canada try this out yet with out XM radio. I know we have the free spot back there. I have a aux input now.
Was this question ever answered? I couldn't find a reply in this thread...
Old 09-24-2007, 01:34 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by A SiQ TL
ok, I just finished installing mine, and I love it. Since I mainly just shuffle all the songs on my nano and skip the ones I don't want to hear, I was hoping to be able to do the same thing.
The text works great on both screens.

It started playing song 1 of 4hundred something, I can see whats playing on either display, and skip songs using the steering wheel. It remembers where it left off when the ignition is turned off, or switch to CD or radio, and picks up from there when you go back to SAT.
The only thing I wish it did was search by artist instead of album, but I guess I can always use the ipod itself for that.
We figured you had more albums than artists so it helps narrow things down more.

When your iPod shuts itself down it will forget it's last-played position.

Quick Reply: Dice iPod Adaptor with Text Display