Dice iPod Adaptor with Text Display

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 02:09 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the text work with an 04 non-navi TL?
Old 06-05-2007, 05:22 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I was just reading the new Maximum PC, and they reviewed the DICE unit :P

They gave it a 7
Old 06-06-2007, 10:28 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by tehloxely
I was just reading the new Maximum PC, and they reviewed the DICE unit :P

They gave it a 7
Care to elaborate...?
Old 06-07-2007, 01:46 PM
1st Gear

Guys, do/did (?) your stereos already have CD text capability ?... over here in UK in our Accords, the standard 6 CD player with Sat Nav doesn't even show CD text .. Many thanks
Old 06-07-2007, 03:04 PM
Advanced

Concerning the DICE unit...

Does this unit work the same way as the USASpec HON2Y and the PIE X3?

After plugging in the iPod, is there an addition AUX port for say a MediaGate (MG-25) player or a DVD player?

thank you in advance
Old 06-07-2007, 03:04 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by captain vallo
Guys, do/did (?) your stereos already have CD text capability ?... over here in UK in our Accords, the standard 6 CD player with Sat Nav doesn't even show CD text .. Many thanks
The 07 TL's have CD text capability.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:55 PM
Banned

Can someone say whether the DICE w/ text display work on non-navi TLs?

I was thinking about getting USA-Spec PA11-HON2Y, but I've heard of skipping issues with it. Also, I really would like to have the songs displayed on the radio!

Someone please let me know if it works on non-navi TLs.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:45 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jswim99
Care to elaborate...?
I don't have the mag. I was looking at it whilst I was roaming Borders. Sorry.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:22 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Everyone

I just got my DICE adapter. I have plugged it in and I can't get anything going. When I hit the XM button, it doesn't do anything. I know I plugged it in all the way because my ipod lights up for 1 sec or so. Is there something I forgot to do? All the dip switches are on the off position on the dice. Please help.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:59 PM
Instructor

Murphy's law states that no sooner than I put a computer in my car that spends the majority of its time hosting music...

Old 06-09-2007, 05:18 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by warrior15r
Hi Everyone

I just got my DICE adapter. I have plugged it in and I can't get anything going. When I hit the XM button, it doesn't do anything. I know I plugged it in all the way because my ipod lights up for 1 sec or so. Is there something I forgot to do? All the dip switches are on the off position on the dice. Please help.
I literally just finished installing my Dice unit. The instructions said that for the sat text to work that the car dip switches should be in the on position.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:17 PM
1st Gear

Dice

DOES THE DICE UNIT WORK FOR NON IPOD MP3 PLAYERS WITH AN AUX JACK?
Old 06-19-2007, 03:35 PM
Need 4 Speed...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks interesting. Hopefully the DICE doesn't skip like the USA spec does.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:52 PM
Advanced

I am sorry for the dumb question but I have no clue about how it works. If I want to have XM and Ipod integration than I cannot have text. Does this mean that all controls are through the ipod? I am confused on this part...or other parts too. Not too hard to confuse me
Old 06-24-2007, 04:23 PM
Instructor

Does anyone know how to set the DICE so that it'll repeat playlists? It doesn't seem to repeat. Also, looks like in order to get to the last track on the playlist, you have to skip forward all the way to the end as oppose to being able to skip backwards.
Old 06-24-2007, 04:54 PM
Instructor

Anyone in Canada try this out yet with out XM radio. I know we have the free spot back there. I have a aux input now.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:49 PM
10th Gear

So I'm still waiting....

Looks good - but I need XM text support too....

any "techies" out there think they'll come out with a Y adapter "switcher" that will allow this?
Old 06-27-2007, 06:16 AM
Supercharged 2005 TL NBP

how much does the valor i-link cost anyone know?
~Jason
Old 07-25-2007, 04:02 AM
Instructor

This is great info! I've been avoiding the NAV version of the TL because I'd read it didn't support iPod interface. But the non-NAV console display is really awful - it looks like they had a big hole to fill and couldn't think of anything to put there, so stuck a lot of lame black plastic and a few temperature displays there ... non-Nav Accord looks way better! So with this, I can get a NAV TL, and still do iPod integration ... great!

Can anyone tell me - do all 04-07 TLs with and without Nav come with XM (and thus the required Head unit input, and potential for text display)? Thanks!
Old 07-25-2007, 10:37 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Steerpike
This is great info! I've been avoiding the NAV version of the TL because I'd read it didn't support iPod interface. But the non-NAV console display is really awful - it looks like they had a big hole to fill and couldn't think of anything to put there, so stuck a lot of lame black plastic and a few temperature displays there ... non-Nav Accord looks way better! So with this, I can get a NAV TL, and still do iPod integration ... great!

Can anyone tell me - do all 04-07 TLs with and without Nav come with XM (and thus the required Head unit input, and potential for text display)? Thanks!
All TL's do have XM, and it does not matter if you have Navi or not, text display will still work.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:53 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Nick@DICE
All TL's do have XM, and it does not matter if you have Navi or not, text display will still work.
Hey Nick, any chance of a switchable Y-adapter in the future?

Thanks!
Old 07-25-2007, 02:57 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Jomb
Hey Nick, any chance of a switchable Y-adapter in the future?

Thanks!
cliffs: No, the car does not support 'plug-&-play'

No, it's not that simple. You can't just switch it, for the car's computer has to be able to see both devices at the same time, all the time.

For example, when I started my car I had the switch set to XM. So I'm listening to XM for an hour but I want to listen to my iPod. So I flip the switch but nothing happens since the iPod kit was not powered up at the time the car was started. I'm annoyed and switch back to the XM, but again nothing happens since you cut the power to the XM radio and the car dismissed it.

Every time you flipped the switch, you would then have to restart the car.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:14 AM
Pro

Hey Nick or anyone else using the iPod adapter,

I have a question/concern concerning the text display on the DICE adapter. Currently, I have my text display settings set so that the Title of the song will scroll at the top. But I noticed that sometimes the song title doesn't scroll and sometimes it does. For instance, if the song title is "Love Break You" then the text display will only display "Love Break Y" and won't scroll the last two letters. This only does this on the Title display setting though cause when I select the Name display setting it actually works and scrolls all the time.

I tried playing with the Channel 6 Preset too and setting it to Levels 2 and 4 which are supposedly the character scrolling settings but that didn't do anything unless I'm not setting those correctly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2007, 03:48 PM
Lt. Dangle

I've been avoiding the NAV version of the TL because I'd read it didn't support iPod interface. But the non-NAV console display is really awful - it looks like they had a big hole to fill and couldn't think of anything to put there, so stuck a lot of lame black plastic and a few temperature displays there ... non-Nav Accord looks way better!
I've always though the console looks just plain ugly without the NAVI myself.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:40 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by slimmyjimmy
Hey Nick or anyone else using the iPod adapter,

I have a question/concern concerning the text display on the DICE adapter. Currently, I have my text display settings set so that the Title of the song will scroll at the top. But I noticed that sometimes the song title doesn't scroll and sometimes it does. For instance, if the song title is "Love Break You" then the text display will only display "Love Break Y" and won't scroll the last two letters. This only does this on the Title display setting though cause when I select the Name display setting it actually works and scrolls all the time.

I tried playing with the Channel 6 Preset too and setting it to Levels 2 and 4 which are supposedly the character scrolling settings but that didn't do anything unless I'm not setting those correctly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
If the artist/album and song title info is unusualy long, the iPod doesn't send out the full text. Does it seem to make a difference on tracks with shorter info?
Old 07-26-2007, 10:48 PM
Pro

If the artist/album and song title info is unusualy long, the iPod doesn't send out the full text. Does it seem to make a difference on tracks with shorter info?
Right, but I'm talking about a song title that's pretty short like "Love Break You". For some reason the title stops displaying at "Love Break Y" instead of scrolling the rest of the title. I've noticed this with a good number of other song titles on my iPod too that aren't very long. Again, this is only in -Title- mode and not in -Name- mode. In -Name- mode, everything including the album name and artist scroll correctly.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:45 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by slimmyjimmy
Right, but I'm talking about a song title that's pretty short like "Love Break You". For some reason the title stops displaying at "Love Break Y" instead of scrolling the rest of the title. I've noticed this with a good number of other song titles on my iPod too that aren't very long. Again, this is only in -Title- mode and not in -Name- mode. In -Name- mode, everything including the album name and artist scroll correctly.
Ok, I'll ask the engineers the question next time I sit with them. Specs on your car? Navi?
Old 07-27-2007, 01:47 PM
Pro

Ok, I'll ask the engineers the question next time I sit with them. Specs on your car? Navi?
06 TL Manual Transmission with Navi.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:17 PM
Instructor

All this text display of current song playing is clever, and better than nothing, but - maybe not a whole lot of use! If you are listening to XM, then you don't necessarily KNOW what you are listening to since you didn't choose it, so having the song title/artist display is useful. But with the iPod, presumably, you already know what you are listening to since it's your iPod and you were the one loading all the music on it. Still useful for guests, I suppose, or if, like me, you have too much crap on your iPod, but not AS useful as it is for the XM.

What would be truly awesome for me would be to somehow show the same 'lists' that you see on the iPod BEFORE making a selection - lists by artist, by album, etc - so you can scroll and find easily. Currently, I do all my searching on the iPod itself, which is a little hard to read especially while driving! If those lists could be on the screen, it would be awesome. I don't think you can easily get at that info, though ... but I think there is a Harmon Kardon device that somehow replicates the ipod menus externally.

Food for thought, maybe!
Old 07-29-2007, 01:18 AM
Racer

Impossible with the stock radio. It only has 3 fields to write to, and the computer is way too slow.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:15 PM
Instructor

It might be a product opportunity to build a screen that could be mounted anywhere, to display/replicate the iPod screen. I'd certainly pay to have it.

Hey - I was over at the Dice website last night, checking to see if the Dice unit worked with some other brand of car. I happened to notice that the 'compatibility' screen guides you to the i-Honda-R2 if you pick Acura, and the detailed installation guide for honda/acura (i-Honda-R Honda installation supplement ) (http://support.diceelectronics.com/f...da_install.pdf) has this footnote for the TL: "2 - Not compatible with factory navigation system". So your website is not doing justice to your product lineup!

I see also that you now have a Mercedes Fiber Optic interface; the owner of my company has an Aston Martin DB9, with some ultra-fancy fiber optic audio unit, and would probably pay a grand or two to get iPod integration into it; he's so pissed off that I can do it in my Acura and his $10,000 stereo can't do it
Old 07-29-2007, 04:37 PM
Racer

It might be a product opportunity to build a screen that could be mounted anywhere, to display/replicate the iPod screen. I'd certainly pay to have it.

Hey - I was over at the Dice website last night, checking to see if the Dice unit worked with some other brand of car. I happened to notice that the 'compatibility' screen guides you to the i-Honda-R2 if you pick Acura, and the detailed installation guide for honda/acura (i-Honda-R Honda installation supplement ) (http://support.diceelectronics.com/f...da_install.pdf) has this footnote for the TL: "2 - Not compatible with factory navigation system". So your website is not doing justice to your product lineup!

I see also that you now have a Mercedes Fiber Optic interface; the owner of my company has an Aston Martin DB9, with some ultra-fancy fiber optic audio unit, and would probably pay a grand or two to get iPod integration into it; he's so pissed off that I can do it in my Acura and his $10,000 stereo can't do it
There are companies out there that make external screens, but that's not what DICE's product line is about.

In the previous gen Honda headunits there's no way to plug in audio if you have navi.

Tell your boss to write me a check for 10 grand and I'll have my engineers develop it for him.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jknight
I got it at http://www.diceelectronics.com/. It is not very hard to install, and is the same as the USA Spec. There are instructions on this site on how to do it, but you need to pull off a few panels, plug it into the CD Controller plug in the back of the head unit. Then put your panels back on. If you have never done it before, it is probably a 1-2 hour job.
For the TL, is it true you can get at the back of the Head Unit by simply removing side panels? You can leave the actual HU in place during the project? That's great!
Old 07-31-2007, 01:01 PM
Instructor

Ok, sorry about this, but from all the threads I have read about the Dice, I just want to figure out my options (new 07 TL-S Owner, not sure if I will want to keep XM or not yet).

First off, because I have the Navi, I need the R4 cable, im pretty sure on that.

As far as connections, I have never seen the back of the radio, or a wire diagram, just see talk of a Y adapter. This is what I think the wiring is, just by reading the topics:
XM tuner goes to a Y splitter that goes to the back of the unit, so there are actually 2 plugs for XM? the reason I think this is because I wouldnt see how you could get XM and ipod(without text) unless you used the XM2 screen or something? Could someone please clarify this for me?

Secondly, I read that the reason text wouldnt work is because the car only reads CD Text from one source (XM)? But as I gather, the 07's have CD Text, so this is actually different than the 04-06 models?

I guess the last question is, the R3 and R4 are the same "dice module" just with different cable, If i wanted to keep xm, I just have to flip a jumper on the dice to put it into CD mode? IF I do that, where does the radio have to be set for the ipod to come through? XM2?

Maybe if someone could draw a quick wire diagram, both Stock, and with dice, it'd clear up alot of questions for everyone.

Thanks!
Old 07-31-2007, 03:48 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by nalek
Ok, sorry about this, but from all the threads I have read about the Dice, I just want to figure out my options (new 07 TL-S Owner, not sure if I will want to keep XM or not yet).

First off, because I have the Navi, I need the R4 cable, im pretty sure on that.

As far as connections, I have never seen the back of the radio, or a wire diagram, just see talk of a Y adapter. This is what I think the wiring is, just by reading the topics:
XM tuner goes to a Y splitter that goes to the back of the unit, so there are actually 2 plugs for XM? the reason I think this is because I wouldnt see how you could get XM and ipod(without text) unless you used the XM2 screen or something? Could someone please clarify this for me?

Secondly, I read that the reason text wouldnt work is because the car only reads CD Text from one source (XM)? But as I gather, the 07's have CD Text, so this is actually different than the 04-06 models?

I guess the last question is, the R3 and R4 are the same "dice module" just with different cable, If i wanted to keep xm, I just have to flip a jumper on the dice to put it into CD mode? IF I do that, where does the radio have to be set for the ipod to come through? XM2?

Maybe if someone could draw a quick wire diagram, both Stock, and with dice, it'd clear up alot of questions for everyone.

Thanks!
You're pretty spot on in your observations. If you did keep XM, you would use the DICE kit in CD mode, and you would not have text. Honda radio's can use text from the INTERNAL CD deck only. Very stupidly, they don't allow it for an external CD deck, so we can't either.
If you use the kit in CD mode, you simply press the CD button again and the car will think it's activating the external CD changer but in reality it will start the iPod.

You would unplug the XM tuner from the radio and plug it into one end of the supplied Y cable (the Y cable comes in the R4 kit) with the DICE kit on the other end, and this cable would be plugged into where the XM was originally.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:08 PM
Instructor

Thanks for clearing up the confusion.
One more question. It sounds like no matter which way you have the DICE set (CD or SAT), it is plugged in the same way.
So in that fact, what is stopping you from keeping the dice somewhere accessable, and just flipping the jumper from CD to SAT if I wanted text? Or am I just getting more hopes up that its that easy?

I know you cant just change it while the car is running, as your previous post states, but if I did it before I started the car, I could turn the ipod on to text mode, OR I could have XM?
Old 08-01-2007, 01:46 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by nalek
Thanks for clearing up the confusion.
One more question. It sounds like no matter which way you have the DICE set (CD or SAT), it is plugged in the same way.
So in that fact, what is stopping you from keeping the dice somewhere accessable, and just flipping the jumper from CD to SAT if I wanted text? Or am I just getting more hopes up that its that easy?

I know you cant just change it while the car is running, as your previous post states, but if I did it before I started the car, I could turn the ipod on to text mode, OR I could have XM?

There's no problem with keeping the DICE module handy - but you'll need to unplug the XM radio when you have the DICE in XM mode or you're going to get 'audio bleed' from the XM radio.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:41 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the info Nick,

I got my R4 in the mail yesterday, and cant wait to install it. I saw in another thread that you told someone with the R3 that they will lose Navi if they dont use the R4 cable.
My impression was that if I wasnt going to use XM, I would just plug the dice into the XM port on the radio, and leave the XM cable hanging. So i wouldnt get bleed?
Isnt that kinda the same thing that the R3 would do? since there is no Y cable?

When Im installing, should I plug everything in (Y cable wise) and then just unplug the XM from the receiver in the trunk?
Where is the best place to 'disconnect' the XM so you dont get bleed?

Also, My Ipod is 3G. The dice site says I wont be able to use Albums and FF/RW . Is that correct? I still should be able to skip songs with the steering wheel correct?
Old 08-05-2007, 02:48 PM
Racer

To answer your first question, I need to know if your car has Navi or not.

And yes, the 3g is limited in what it can do. You'll still have steering wheel control. Check your iPod and make sure it's getting the 'stop' command when you turn off the car as well.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:01 PM
Instructor

To answer your first question, I need to know if your car has Navi or not.

And yes, the 3g is limited in what it can do. You'll still have steering wheel control. Check your iPod and make sure it's getting the 'stop' command when you turn off the car as well.
Yes, its an 07 Type S, so it has navi.

Quick Reply: Dice iPod Adaptor with Text Display