Definitve Guide For Homelink Set-up

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 06:43 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Definitve Guide For Homelink Set-up

People:

The manual for our TL leaves out important steps for programming the car's Homelink system for those of us that have "Rolling Code Systems"- any newer garage goor opener. I was on the phone with Wayne from Homelink for an hour to get my system up and running for my 2 Acura vehicles.

1-800-355-3515
www.homelink.com

1. Position vehicle within 10 feet of garage door- engine off and battery on.

2. Press/hold 2 outside buttons of Homelink transceiver until red indicator starts flashing rapidly, then release button. This should take about 20 seconds. This erases any previuosly learned codes.

3. Press/hold remote control button and press/hold button of Homelink transceiver simultaneously. Slowly move remote control from 5" away to 1" away. Release both buttons after red indicator starts blinking rapidly. This should take about 5 seconds. I discovered that the Homelink in my TL is a bit faulty because it took much longer to accomplish this than when programming the Homelink in my MDX. My TL's Homelink may "unlearn" it's code in the future and the needed proximity of the TL to the garage door may be much closer than desired until I get the Homelink fixed.

4. Press training button on garage door opener unit until the indicator lights illuminates- this should be immediate.

5. Wthin 30 seconds press/hold the Homelink button for 2-3 seconds until the red indicator starts flashing rapidly. Repeat a second time. It should now be programmed. Check it by pressing programmed button on Homelink transceiver.

6. When programming more than 1 garage door opener unit, disconnect power from unit before programming more units.

Problems:

Battery in garage door remote control may be too weak to program Homelink. However, the battery may be strong enough to operate garage door. One of my remote controls had a weak battery- my system was installed today, fresh out of the box. I had to use the second remote control for the programming of Homelink on my 2 vehicles.

Antenna on garage door opener unit must be hanging down, fully extended.

I hope this is helpful for some people.

greg
The following 3 users liked this post by gregory28_RENAMED:
bryrock (04-15-2012), jfatteh (10-20-2014), Stephen00TL (12-03-2013)
Old 12-29-2004, 07:03 PM
2020 RDX A-Spec

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
FWIW...I didn't have any problems setting the Homelink in my previous '00 or '05 TL using the manual...

I have an opener with the rolling codes as well...

Glad your is working now though...
Old 12-29-2004, 07:11 PM
I shift therefore I am

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any idea if we can use homelink to set up to open apartment security (garage) gates? I tried but it didnt work.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:20 PM
Instructor

any chance you have a remedy for DoorKing homelinks ?
Old 12-29-2004, 10:32 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tlram
Any idea if we can use homelink to set up to open apartment security (garage) gates? I tried but it didnt work.
Give Homelink a call, but I doubt it. You want to open a public gate, not a private gate to your home. I'm sure there's some security issues with what you want to do.

greg
Old 12-29-2004, 10:35 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Diver
any chance you have a remedy for DoorKing homelinks ?
If your garage opener is pre-1982 it's not going to have a Homelink compatability. I have no idea who Doorking homelinks is. Give Homelink a call and ask them.

greg
Old 12-29-2004, 10:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by spacejamz
FWIW...I didn't have any problems setting the Homelink in my previous '00 or '05 TL using the manual...

I have an opener with the rolling codes as well...

Glad your is working now though...
spacejamz: I'm glad you didn't have any problems setting up Homelink, there are quite a few of us who have had problems and that's why I posted this new thread.

greg
Old 12-29-2004, 10:40 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have really old openers that Homelink doesn't work on, you can look into a conversion kit like this one:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00953682000

I've used older generations of these and they work really well. Just plug into a wall outlet and wire to the screw terminals on your opener.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:31 PM
Racer

I went through the hoops with them as well. One garage door opener works great using the Home Link, and the other does not work at all. Both are the same manufacturer and the same opener, I was even using the same two button remote to set it up. I finally gave up...the Acura has its spot and that door works.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:48 AM
Advanced

I was able to set up my homelink on our MDX and TL to open up the entrance gates to our gated community but only with the help of security who had to program the gate opener while I sat in the car a few feet away. Still haven't been able to get the garage door (rolling code) to link up to the cars. I was able to link up at our last home, though. I think I'll take Greg's advice and move the car closer to the garage door opener and see if that works.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:58 PM
Instructor

gotsand:

If all else fails give Homelink a call and they'll walk you through the process.

greg
Old 12-31-2004, 03:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by thegabrielles
I went through the hoops with them as well. One garage door opener works great using the Home Link, and the other does not work at all. Both are the same manufacturer and the same opener, I was even using the same two button remote to set it up. I finally gave up...the Acura has its spot and that door works.

That is so strange. Maybe there's a problem with the garage door opener unit.

greg
Old 12-31-2004, 05:09 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
does anyone have a delay problem? when i drive down the street and roll up to my house...i usually stop in front of the garage before i push the button to open it...it usually takes around 3-5 seconds for it to actually kick in....
Old 12-31-2004, 10:26 PM
Advanced

Well, I spent about four or five minutes getting HomeLink to work with our rolling-code opener this evening.

I took the advice of putting a new battery in the remote, which may have made all of the difference.

Other than that, I moved it from about 6" away to 1" away a couple of times, and it picked it up. Then I just had to have my wife press the magic buttons on the wall control to accept the new remote, and it works!

So, starting tomorrow, we'll see if it's better than the remote. Certainly more convenient!
Old 01-01-2005, 09:28 AM
Intermediate

This should really be in the FAQ. Thanks for the instructions!
Old 01-01-2005, 08:32 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I'm able to open my apartment's community garage door with my Homelink. I programmed it using the remote - the same way I did it for a regular garage.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by NFLblitze1
does anyone have a delay problem? when i drive down the street and roll up to my house...i usually stop in front of the garage before i push the button to open it...it usually takes around 3-5 seconds for it to actually kick in....
It doesn't work by just pressing the button for me. I need to hold it down for 1-2 seconds. It does open from 100 feet away for me. You may have a weak battery or your antenna may need to be extended more fully from the garage door opener unit.

greg
Old 01-01-2005, 10:25 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by PeterGrant
Well, I spent about four or five minutes getting HomeLink to work with our rolling-code opener this evening.

I took the advice of putting a new battery in the remote, which may have made all of the difference.

Other than that, I moved it from about 6" away to 1" away a couple of times, and it picked it up. Then I just had to have my wife press the magic buttons on the wall control to accept the new remote, and it works!

So, starting tomorrow, we'll see if it's better than the remote. Certainly more convenient!
That's great PeterGrant!
Old 01-01-2005, 10:27 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by blackonblack02
This should really be in the FAQ. Thanks for the instructions!
Sure thing. I'm glad it was helpful. So many people here have been so helpful to me on other issues.

greg
Old 01-16-2005, 02:34 PM
Instructor

you are awesome, thANKS

Originally Posted by gregory28_RENAMED
People:

The manual for our TL leaves out important steps for programming the car's Homelink system for those of us that have "Rolling Code Systems"- any newer garage goor opener. I was on the phone with Wayne from Homelink for an hour to get my system up and running for my 2 Acura vehicles.

1-800-355-3515
www.homelink.com

1. Position vehicle within 10 feet of garage door- engine off and battery on.

2. Press/hold 2 outside buttons of Homelink transceiver until red indicator starts flashing rapidly, then release button. This should take about 20 seconds. This erases any previuosly learned codes.

3. Press/hold remote control button and press/hold button of Homelink transceiver simultaneously. Slowly move remote control from 5" away to 1" away. Release both buttons after red indicator starts blinking rapidly. This should take about 5 seconds. I discovered that the Homelink in my TL is a bit faulty because it took much longer to accomplish this than when programming the Homelink in my MDX. My TL's Homelink may "unlearn" it's code in the future and the needed proximity of the TL to the garage door may be much closer than desired until I get the Homelink fixed.

4. Press training button on garage door opener unit until the indicator lights illuminates- this should be immediate.

5. Wthin 30 seconds press/hold the Homelink button for 2-3 seconds until the red indicator starts flashing rapidly. Repeat a second time. It should now be programmed. Check it by pressing programmed button on Homelink transceiver.

6. When programming more than 1 garage door opener unit, disconnect power from unit before programming more units.

Problems:

Battery in garage door remote control may be too weak to program Homelink. However, the battery may be strong enough to operate garage door. One of my remote controls had a weak battery- my system was installed today, fresh out of the box. I had to use the second remote control for the programming of Homelink on my 2 vehicles.

Antenna on garage door opener unit must be hanging down, fully extended.

I hope this is helpful for some people.

greg
Old 01-16-2005, 03:10 PM
Team Nighthawk Engineer

Thanks for posting that info, it's appreciated.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:37 PM
Advanced

We've been using it for a couple of weeks now - no problem. My wife finds it a little awkward reaching up to press the button instead of using the remote.

Our also requires us to hold down the button for about a second. Works fine from about 100 feet away - as soon as our house is in sight around the corner...
Old 10-16-2011, 11:47 AM
Dedicated Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
old post, but great post! need to buy a universal remote to get started.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:52 PM
Early Shifter

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts
All this information is in the owner's manual. Just the other weekend I attempted to link my in law's opener to my car, first try didn't work so obviously it is a rolling unit. I followed the manual's instructions and it picked it up very quickly as it should. Just an FYI, the information is in the manual.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:34 PM
10th Gear

Homelink

When having rolling codes(which we do)....when pushing on the "training" button on garage door opener....Will this erase the wife's BMW's homelink button to this same opener? When I'm training
my TL's Homelink?
Old 02-19-2012, 09:42 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Originally Posted by bluez16
When having rolling codes(which we do)....when pushing on the "training" button on garage door opener....Will this erase the wife's BMW's homelink button to this same opener? When I'm training
my TL's Homelink?
No, it does not erase anything.

Your wifey can still get in your garage with her BMW.

Last edited by guitarplayer16; 02-19-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:03 PM
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 64 Posts
Thanks for posting. Just bought my TL but the manual didn't come with it so this was very helpful
Old 10-09-2013, 12:21 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Which button is the "training button" on the remote? The remote has the bigger "main" button and 2 smaller ones to the right. Its a Craftsman opener.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:47 PM
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by sleeper22

Which button is the "training button" on the remote? The remote has the bigger "main" button and 2 smaller ones to the right. Its a Craftsman opener.
Hopefully you were able to figure this out, but just in case... The training button isn't on the remote, it's on the actual garage door opener itself. You'll probably have to whip a ladder out to get up there and press it.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:03 PM
5th Gear

Thanks
Old 10-16-2014, 01:10 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Worked perfectly, just took a couple of tries before it registered. Thanks!
Old 04-26-2015, 08:47 PM
Desert Life Sucks!!

Received 673 Likes on 500 Posts
So after 4 years of ownership. I just now programmed home link lol.

I have had homelink systems before but have never used one until literally 5 minutes ago. Hope it doesn't disappoint.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:57 PM
Cruisin'

For future Search purposes... I'd thought I'd add a little info...

My garage door opener, a Chamberlain HD930EV (Home Depot) was made in 2013. I purchased my 08 TL Base a couple of months ago. So, after 2011 Chamberlain (LiftMaster) or Sears Craftsman Garage Door openers apparently require the LiftMaster Repeater (HomeLink Compatibility Bridge) in order to make the HomeLink work. My HomeLink would read the Chamberlain Remote Opener (albeit after several long attempts)... but after selecting the Learn button on the opener itself my car would not communicate with it. I purchased locally the Compatibility Bridge and, following the instructions, I installed the LiftMaster Repeater (HomeLink Compatibility Bridge) and the HomeLink in the car quickly learned each other. Everything works. The HomeLink signal to door is exceptionally poor for me. The car has to be approaching/in the driveway. The HomeLink Compatibility Bridge is plugged into the same outlet the garage door opener is so no signal degredation there. The factory Chamberlain opener will open my garage door from 200+ feet away. I'll lose that using the cars HomeLink... but the wife will like the "ease" of using the HomeLink button...

So, just an FYI for relatively recent new 3G Owners using this Manufacturer....

Last edited by Bill Reid; 09-24-2015 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:55 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have a tiny 1 car garage and a little craftsman opener.. I thought "Nobody ever programs these things, so they must not work for very many openers"

Turns out most people are just lazy, lol. I was shocked that my dopey little garage door opener could be programmed, and now I can put my opener back in my Integra. Awesome, thank you so much for this write up!