THE definitive iPod thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 01:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THE definitive iPod thread

I know people have asked this before but it seems no one has reported a good way to hook an iPod up to the ol' TL. Any updates?

Also, has anyone tried using this (it's a cupholder dock):

Old 04-20-2004, 01:10 PM
Safety Car

looks cool i would get one if there as a way to hook up the ipod without sacrificing XM.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:30 PM
NBP - Public Relations

I was really looking for a way to hook up my iPod to the TL but I hear the FM transmitter isnt really good at all. Apparently you run through barrety life like crazy and the signal sometimes gets distorted with the other radio stations in the area. Its the best way to do it wirelessly but I would consider just burning DVD disks. They can hold 99 songs per DVD. Not bad if you dont want to deal with the wires of an iPod or the poor performance of the FM transmitter.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:59 PM
Safety Car

i used the FM transimitter before and its not the best thing in the world it works pretty good. sound is like a radio station. there really is no alternative to hooking up the ipod without using the XM as an AUX input. i think i saw a FM transmitter that allowed the car charger for the Ipod so that might help alleviate the battery problem.
Old 04-20-2004, 02:05 PM
Renaissance Man

I said it before and I'll say it again: the Griffin Technology iTrip FM Modulator is the best on the market. It runs off the phantom power for the iPod remote, it matches the design flawlessly, and its performance is 10x better than the Belkin modulator. You can choose which station it plays over so you're not stuck with interference, and it pivots to accept a car charger for the 2nd gen iPod and doesn't interfere at all with the power supply for the 3rd gen.
Old 04-20-2004, 02:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by flanagan
I said it before and I'll say it again: the Griffin Technology iTrip FM Modulator is the best on the market. It runs off the phantom power for the iPod remote, it matches the design flawlessly, and its performance is 10x better than the Belkin modulator. You can choose which station it plays over so you're not stuck with interference, and it pivots to accept a car charger for the 2nd gen iPod and doesn't interfere at all with the power supply for the 3rd gen.
Hmmm ... just found this:

iTrip II

Griffin will be introducing a new, updated iTrip compatible with new iPod models “very soon” as reported by Mr. Green in our roundup of industry reactions to the new iPods. I can’t wait to create playlists on-the-go with my new iPod 15GB and iTrip II while driving. That should be interesting.
Old 04-20-2004, 02:47 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

There are two "definitive" answers. One is short term, one is long term (as you'll see below).

The Definitive Short Term Answer:

Get a hard-wired FM modulator installed by your local car stereo dealer. Simply put, it splices into your FM antenna feed at any point between the antenna and the head unit. It's a black box with power wires. When turned on, it overpowers (literally) the FM radio completely, allowing you to listen to your iPod in crystal-clear stereo through any FM frequency you like with terrific seperation and dynamic range. When turned off, it goes away and returns your FM radio to its normal self. The car stereo guy will simply plug a headphone jack into the black box hidden somewhere under the car and have it end in a place convenient for your iPod to be accessed (armrest works for me). Some FM modulators require a power switch which will be attached to that hidden headphone jack. Some automatically sense that there's a power source (the music) and turn themselves on. In the end, you'll have a setup that no one can see. The single wire that goes into the iPod will be hidden in the armrest (or dash compartment, or glove box, or whatever you'd like) and then you'll pull it out and plug the iPod into it when you want to listen. Unlike these 'wireless' contraptions that others are (mis)leading you towards, the sound quality is amazing- the iTrip is plagued by a crowded FM band (especially in big cities) that forces you to make adjustments every time a 'real' FM broadcast gets more intense. Even when you can get it to tune correctly, the lack of power (as demanded by the FCC) cuts the signal to noise ratio and dynamic range numbers harshly. The powered FM modulator solution avoids all of these other issues.....think of it as a powerful FM radio station in your car that broadcasts only to yourself via a wire splice.

The Definitive Long Term Answer:

Alpine makes our navi units. Alpine is a big supporter of iPod compatibility in its head units. Alpine is supposedly working on harnesses for OEM head units they've manufactured for the big auto companies. Eventually, it is likely that they'll come out with a plug 'n play harness that'll let you emulate iTunes on your navi screen. Folders, ID3 tags, playlists, the works. OTOH, there is currently NO solution for ANY navi unit that uses the XM radio in the vacant input slot to accommodate another input source.

My advice: Take $200 out of the bank, go to the local car stereo guy, ask him for a hard wired FM modulator install, pick a spot in the car for the little wire to sprout up, and call it a day!

BJ
Old 04-20-2004, 03:15 PM
Burning Brakes

I use it. It works well. I also use the itrip and it does work but the sound is not perfect but not bad.

Originally Posted by TLover
Also, has anyone tried using this (it's a cupholder dock):

Old 04-20-2004, 03:18 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by flanagan
Not sure about this. In my 98 CL I'm using a 3rd gen iPod with a Belkin that tunes to any station and it works ok, but not great. Check out iPod lounge and you'll find a group of people who love the iTrip and others that think the Belkin is better. All I can say is buy both and return the one you don't like.

But you might find out that you don't like FM transmitters at all, which is my opinion. But until someone comes up with a better idea its that or nothing.

Also, its REALLY hard to use the iPod while you're driving, especially for creating playlists. Not something I recommend at all unless you're the passenger.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:22 PM
Drifting

not too shabby.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bolt - nice explanation, thanks
Old 04-20-2004, 07:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by boltjames
There are two "definitive" answers. One is short term, one is long term (as you'll see below).

Get a hard-wired FM modulator installed by your local car stereo dealer. Simply put, it splices into your FM antenna feed at any point between the antenna and the head unit. It's a black box with power wires. When turned on, it overpowers (literally) the FM radio completely, allowing you to listen to your iPod in crystal-clear stereo through any FM frequency you like with terrific seperation and dynamic range. When turned off, it goes away and returns your FM radio to its normal self. The car stereo guy will simply plug a headphone jack into the black box hidden somewhere under the car and have it end in a place convenient for your iPod to be accessed (armrest works for me). Some FM modulators require a power switch which will be attached to that hidden headphone jack. Some automatically sense that there's a power source (the music) and turn themselves on. In the end, you'll have a setup that no one can see. The single wire that goes into the iPod will be hidden in the armrest (or dash compartment, or glove box, or whatever you'd like) and then you'll pull it out and plug the iPod into it when you want to listen. Unlike these 'wireless' contraptions that others are (mis)leading you towards, the sound quality is amazing- the iTrip is plagued by a crowded FM band (especially in big cities) that forces you to make adjustments every time a 'real' FM broadcast gets more intense. Even when you can get it to tune correctly, the lack of power (as demanded by the FCC) cuts the signal to noise ratio and dynamic range numbers harshly. The powered FM modulator solution avoids all of these other issues.....think of it as a powerful FM radio station in your car that broadcasts only to yourself via a wire splice.

The Definitive Long Term Answer:

Alpine makes our navi units. Alpine is a big supporter of iPod compatibility in its head units. Alpine is supposedly working on harnesses for OEM head units they've manufactured for the big auto companies. Eventually, it is likely that they'll come out with a plug 'n play harness that'll let you emulate iTunes on your navi screen. Folders, ID3 tags, playlists, the works. OTOH, there is currently NO solution for ANY navi unit that uses the XM radio in the vacant input slot to accommodate another input source.

My advice: Take $200 out of the bank, go to the local car stereo guy, ask him for a hard wired FM modulator install, pick a spot in the car for the little wire to sprout up, and call it a day!

BJ
Thanks, Bolt, I'll look into the hard-wired FM option since I don't have Navi.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:44 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by TLover
Thanks, Bolt, I'll look into the hard-wired FM option since I don't have Navi.
Hmm....the one thing I do *not* know is if the non-navi stock radios have that elusive "aux" input. Anyone out there know if TLover is in luck by not having the navi?
Old 04-20-2004, 09:17 PM
Cruisin'

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the cassette deck option. Sony (~$20) makes a device that looks like a cassette tape with a wire that exits from the side of the tape and plugs into the headphone jack of the iPod. You can listen to the iPod through this device. Tried it today on my new TL and it seemed to work well - will play around with it to optimize the sound. Granted - it is a wired solution but no interference with other FM stations.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Oh, no, slzmd...you mentioned the dreaded cassette option...you are about to incur the wrath of Bolt...or in case he doesn't show up, he seems fairly experienced with this add-on audio stuff and in a couple of earlier threads he gave a major two thumbs down on the cassette option...evidently the quality is poor.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:45 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts

BJ
BJ,

How much of that $200 is for the part? How difficult is it to install yourself (assuming above average aptitude for this type of work)?
Old 04-20-2004, 11:14 PM
You touch my tra la la...

My father just brought his car into the shop for a day and had a "headphone" jack installed in the center console of his car (he has a Mercedes). All they did was hook the wire up to the radio, and give him another wire to connect from that jack in the console to the iPod. Cost like 75 bucks. I am doing it in my TL as soon as it arrives.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:26 PM
Intermediate

stay away from Soundgate

Despite advertising that says it works, I would avoid Soundgate's SNHOND3 aux input box "solution".

Details in this thread:
http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76641
Old 04-20-2004, 11:56 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by slzmd
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the cassette deck option. Sony (~$20) makes a device that looks like a cassette tape with a wire that exits from the side of the tape and plugs into the headphone jack of the iPod. You can listen to the iPod through this device. Tried it today on my new TL and it seemed to work well - will play around with it to optimize the sound. Granted - it is a wired solution but no interference with other FM stations.
Cassette deck option is unacceptable. It's 2004. Back in 1984 when the first CD Discmen portables arrived it was a decent solution to the "I want CD's in my car" challenge. I didn't even realize my TL had a cassette deck until I read your post. The dynamic range is awful, the 'hiss' is very evident, and it suffers from ye olde 'wow & flutter' if you can believe it. I'd rather the OP strap a Technics semi-automatic turntable to his dash than go with the dictaphone solution.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:58 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
BJ,

How much of that $200 is for the part? How difficult is it to install yourself (assuming above average aptitude for this type of work)?
The "aptitude" is really up to you. Again, this has nothing to do with the radio in your dash. You need to locate a) the main antenna feed from the rear to the radio and b) the main power bus for the radio. Two splices are required.....one for the antenna cut through and the other for the power supply to the FM modulator black box. IMHO, it's best left to a pro as they've been doing this very redundant install for many, many years.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:00 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by GaleForce
My father just brought his car into the shop for a day and had a "headphone" jack installed in the center console of his car (he has a Mercedes). All they did was hook the wire up to the radio, and give him another wire to connect from that jack in the console to the iPod. Cost like 75 bucks. I am doing it in my TL as soon as it arrives.
Based on the price, methinks your dad's Benz has an audio auxiliary input jack on the head-unit in his car. Just like your home theater receiver has L/R RCA input jacks, many car makers have these types of inputs for many uses (usually a trunk-mounted CD changer). The TL has no such jacks and thus the reason for the recommended powered FM modulator solution. In effect, you're splicing into the FM radio to 'connect' an alternate source to the stereo system.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:06 AM
Race Director

FM modulator links:

AudioVox $50

AutoToys $40

Clarion (Crutchfield) $55

Farenheit (Crutchfield) $40
Old 04-21-2004, 05:37 AM
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts
my 6 cents...

I have an Iriver IHP-120 (a much better sounding ipod...more technical though) that I use with Sonys cassette adapter. If you turn the noise filter on on the casette and turn the treble way up on your player it sounds pretty damn good. Way better than a fm modulator. Shell out 20 dollars for a GOOD casette adapter and you will be surprised how good it sounds. The IPOD itself is not the best sounding device but if you like the sound thru headphones you will probably like this option a lot. Worse case scenario u return the 20 dollar adapter to best buy...try it...Of course the best is aux in and I expect there to be an adapter soon...
Old 04-21-2004, 10:13 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by SilverJ
I have an Iriver IHP-120 (a much better sounding ipod...more technical though) that I use with Sonys cassette adapter. If you turn the noise filter on on the casette and turn the treble way up on your player it sounds pretty damn good. Way better than a fm modulator. Shell out 20 dollars for a GOOD casette adapter and you will be surprised how good it sounds. The IPOD itself is not the best sounding device but if you like the sound thru headphones you will probably like this option a lot. Worse case scenario u return the 20 dollar adapter to best buy...try it...Of course the best is aux in and I expect there to be an adapter soon...
To avoid confusion on this posters comment about "sounds way better than an FM modulator", there are three degrees of connectivity that we're talking about here:

Cassette Tape Adapter:

Plastic cassette shell with wire that plugs into iPod headphone jack. Hissy, distorted, wow & flutter, can confuse auto-reverse mechanisms. Unacceptable solution for owners of a $35k luxury car. No need to be cheap, folks. Sound quality D+

Wireless FM Modulator:

These devices snap onto or act as a cradle for your iPod. They broadcast wirelessly to an un-used fraction of the FM tuner in your car and use a very low amount of power (most use the battery power directly off the iPod they're that un-powerful) due to FCC regulations (if it were more powerful, you could be broadcasting to the car next to you). On the plus side, they're cheap and easy to use. On the down side, if you're in a very busy metro area you'll never get a clear FM station to tune it into. If you do get a lucky vacant channel, after an hour of driving another station will overcome your broadcast and you'll have to re-tune it. Sound quality C+

Wired & Powered FM Modulator:

As discussed earlier, this is a car stereo dealer installed black box that splices directly into the FM antenna at any point between the rear glass and the radio in the dash. Because it splices into the FM antenna, there are no FCC regulations around how powerful it can be; so these are cranked up to the point where they sound superior to the FM tuner itself with the MP3's coming in through a hard-wire to the head unit. The upside here is that it's the best sound quality you can have for your iPod in your car short of using an AUX input that our Acura/Alpine/Panasonic head units lack. Additionally, all you'll see is a small wire (headphone jack) that will live hidden in an area of your choice (armrest, dash compartments, glove compartment) with no other device to snap on or cradle to. The only down side is that it's going to cost you about $200 and 3 hours of non TL driving time. Sound quality A+
Old 04-21-2004, 05:26 PM
Drifting

boltjames, nice review! I'd like to add on the FM Modulators, it really depends where you are at. Most to all "Clear" stations will be towards the bottom of the spectrum. At least that's how it is in Dallas. For my ipod, I get pretty good reception for fm modulation.

As for the iRiver vs iPod :lol2: The iRiver is a good competitor but for the price, the iPod gets a lot more for the money.
Old 04-24-2004, 09:40 AM
Intermediate

I had my wired FM modulator installed last night. It sounds really good (except the highs can be a little muted at times).

The switch to turn it off and on (switch between ipod input and regular FM radio) is installed way under the dash, below and slightly to the right of the steering wheel. You can't see it, and it's easy to switch. The only downside is I can't reach it with my seatbelt on.
The audio input comes out in the bottom of the deep compartment of the armrest. I plug it into the Belkin auto charger, and plug the charger into that handy lighter adapter in that same compartment. So all I really have to worry about is plugging in that one cable to the iPod.

I also picked up one of those cupholder mounts. I think I wasted money.
With the mount in the front cupholder, it only gets high enough to be even with the top of the console. It would be better to just close the cupholder sliding door and set the ipod on that. Plus, in the front one, with that charger cord plugged into the bottom, there wasn't enough room behind it to put a drink in the second cupholder.
There wasn't really enough room in the back cupholder to put it, and plug it in.
And it was hard to read and use while driving.

I'm going to go work on an alternate mounting solution. Velcro.
Old 04-24-2004, 09:57 AM
Drifting

Negative...

To avoid confusion on this posters comment about "sounds way better than an FM modulator", there are three degrees of connectivity that we're talking about here:

Cassette Tape Adapter:

Plastic cassette shell with wire that plugs into iPod headphone jack. Hissy, distorted, wow & flutter, can confuse auto-reverse mechanisms. Unacceptable solution for owners of a $35k luxury car. No need to be cheap, folks. Sound quality D+

Wireless FM Modulator:

These devices snap onto or act as a cradle for your iPod. They broadcast wirelessly to an un-used fraction of the FM tuner in your car and use a very low amount of power (most use the battery power directly off the iPod they're that un-powerful) due to FCC regulations (if it were more powerful, you could be broadcasting to the car next to you). On the plus side, they're cheap and easy to use. On the down side, if you're in a very busy metro area you'll never get a clear FM station to tune it into. If you do get a lucky vacant channel, after an hour of driving another station will overcome your broadcast and you'll have to re-tune it. Sound quality C+

Wired & Powered FM Modulator:

As discussed earlier, this is a car stereo dealer installed black box that splices directly into the FM antenna at any point between the rear glass and the radio in the dash. Because it splices into the FM antenna, there are no FCC regulations around how powerful it can be; so these are cranked up to the point where they sound superior to the FM tuner itself with the MP3's coming in through a hard-wire to the head unit. The upside here is that it's the best sound quality you can have for your iPod in your car short of using an AUX input that our Acura/Alpine/Panasonic head units lack. Additionally, all you'll see is a small wire (headphone jack) that will live hidden in an area of your choice (armrest, dash compartments, glove compartment) with no other device to snap on or cradle to. The only down side is that it's going to cost you about $200 and 3 hours of non TL driving time. Sound quality A+
Good review dude...you are wrong on the sound being hissy and bad...
My iriver player does not sound hissy or bad...its sounds very good --better than any fm channel I have. However..I hooked the same casette adapter to my friends crv and it sounded like you are saying. The iriver player is a much better sounding player overall so perhaps that is why your ipod sounds bad..not sure. But it works for me. Until I get aux in(and blitzsafe will make an adapter..at least for non navi) I will use the sony casette adapter.
Old 04-24-2004, 11:59 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by SilverJ
Good review dude...you are wrong on the sound being hissy and bad...
My iriver player does not sound hissy or bad...its sounds very good --better than any fm channel I have. However..I hooked the same casette adapter to my friends crv and it sounded like you are saying. The iriver player is a much better sounding player overall so perhaps that is why your ipod sounds bad..not sure. But it works for me. Until I get aux in(and blitzsafe will make an adapter..at least for non navi) I will use the sony casette adapter.
An MP3 file is an MP3 file.

A Toshiba hard drive is a Toshiba hard drive.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for your iRiver product, but the iPod can't sound better or worse as it's the same data playing on the same hard drive and I doubt highly that via a cassette adapter (of all things) anyone would be able to perceive a difference in sound quality- even if I'm wrong about some internal circuitry differences between the two.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:02 PM

You can get an FM modulator installed for like 75 bucks, and that includes the modulator. Why spend the money on the iTrip or anything if you can get the modulator for almost the same price?
Old 04-24-2004, 03:52 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Gronk
I had my wired FM modulator installed last night. It sounds really good (except the highs can be a little muted at times)......
Which brand of FM modulator did you install?
Old 04-24-2004, 07:42 PM
Drifting

hmm

An MP3 file is an MP3 file.

A Toshiba hard drive is a Toshiba hard drive.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for your iRiver product, but the iPod can't sound better or worse as it's the same data playing on the same hard drive and I doubt highly that via a cassette adapter (of all things) anyone would be able to perceive a difference in sound quality- even if I'm wrong about some internal circuitry differences between the two.
The hard drive has nothing to do with the sound quality....these players are like night and day in terms of sound quality so yes you sure would be able to tell the difference. Im no pro but I know my ears...you can see what I mean here.
http://gear.ign.com/articles/457/457...html?fromint=1
In my case my player sounds better with a casette adapter. Maybe the ipod doesnt...
Can you tell the difference between the current 04 tl stereo and the old bose stereo in the 01-03 tl?
Old 04-25-2004, 06:56 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

From Eliot Van Buskirk, Senior Editor CNET Labs:

Apple iPod 40GB:

The iPod's sound quality is great. Apple won't release the signal-to-noise ratio, but the player sounds quite clean to our ears--even cleaner through the cradle's line-out jack, which bypasses the device's volume circuitry. And it's more than loud enough, even through our large test headphones, outputting 30mW per channel.

iRiver iHP-120:

Some audiophiles show a marked disdain for effects such as the SRS processing found on this unit, but like us, most people will love the way it makes their music sound. The power output cranks all the way to 20mW per channel at 16 ohms, so listeners who prefer loud music won't be disappointed.

If I'm reading this correctly, the iPod is 10mW more powerful than the iRiver but the iRiver is using some funky signal processing to compensate. This is akin to the good old "loudness" switch on my 1977 Pioneer SX-780 Receiver. I'd bet that if we did a TL to TL side-by-side comparison, I'd be able to get my iPod to 'sound' the same (likely better) than your iRiver simply by using the iPod's EQ and/or the TL's audio controls to replicate the fudged 'loudness' switch that's resident in your player.

Either way, we're splitting hairs here. Any MP3 player is going to sound fabulous when wired into the TL.
Old 04-25-2004, 12:06 PM
Intermediate

nfnsquared - I'm not sure, it's whatever brand the install shop trusts and frequently uses.

The highs sound better now, I turned down the volume on the charger unit.
Apparently I was overdriving the signal somewhat.
Now I really have no complaints.

As for mp3 sound quality, I rip all my CDs myself, and encode them to MP3 using the LAME encoder with the "alt-preset standard" setting. That creates a somewhat larger variable bit rate mp3 (about 7-9 megs per song), but I can't tell the difference between the mp3 and the CD version.
Portable CD-quality jukeox.

I velcroed the iPod to the center of the stereo console, and it works pretty well. I can easily see and use it while driving, and it doesn't cover up too much.

see:
Old 04-25-2004, 01:11 PM

I would never velcro it there

Would much rather find a mount or something and attach it off to the side.
Old 04-25-2004, 01:13 PM

http://www.inventivegadgets.com/ipodholdermovie.mov <- I want one of these
Old 04-25-2004, 03:01 PM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

[QUOTE=boltjames]To avoid confusion on this posters comment about "sounds way better than an FM modulator", there are three degrees of connectivity that we're talking about here:

Cassette Tape Adapter:

Plastic cassette shell with wire that plugs into iPod headphone jack. Hissy, distorted, wow & flutter, can confuse auto-reverse mechanisms. Unacceptable solution for owners of a $35k luxury car. No need to be cheap, folks. D+

<SNIP>

BoltJames,

The cassette adapter isn't an ideal solution, but I find it to be acceptable. I occasionally use it in my 1999 Toyota Solara's "Toyota/JBL" system, and it sounds pretty good.

Hiss is a bit of a problem, but I find it reasonable. After all, I'm using the adapter to listen to MP3s, and their fidelity isn't perfect anyway. I've found NO distortion (perhaps the volume on your plug in device is set too high), and there CANNOT be any "wow and flutter". There is NO tape passing across the deck's playback head to have W&F. There's only another piece that looks like another playback head sitting near the playback head.
Old 04-25-2004, 03:05 PM

I like having a casette adapter so I can take my iPod with me into other people's cars and still listen to my music. Hijack their stero... :p

For my car though I am getting an FM modulator.
Old 04-25-2004, 04:33 PM
Drifting

From Eliot Van Buskirk, Senior Editor CNET Labs:

Apple iPod 40GB:

The iPod's sound quality is great. Apple won't release the signal-to-noise ratio, but the player sounds quite clean to our ears--even cleaner through the cradle's line-out jack, which bypasses the device's volume circuitry. And it's more than loud enough, even through our large test headphones, outputting 30mW per channel.

iRiver iHP-120:

Some audiophiles show a marked disdain for effects such as the SRS processing found on this unit, but like us, most people will love the way it makes their music sound. The power output cranks all the way to 20mW per channel at 16 ohms, so listeners who prefer loud music won't be disappointed.

If I'm reading this correctly, the iPod is 10mW more powerful than the iRiver but the iRiver is using some funky signal processing to compensate. This is akin to the good old "loudness" switch on my 1977 Pioneer SX-780 Receiver. I'd bet that if we did a TL to TL side-by-side comparison, I'd be able to get my iPod to 'sound' the same (likely better) than your iRiver simply by using the iPod's EQ and/or the TL's audio controls to replicate the fudged 'loudness' switch that's resident in your player.

Either way, we're splitting hairs here. Any MP3 player is going to sound fabulous when wired into the TL.
Yeah I saw that too...not sure how the ipod could have more power..methinks apple is bullshitting....trust me dude Ive owned both players
..the iriver sound is far superior to the ipod. If it wasnt I sure as hell would grab me an ipod..I like the interface a bit better...but sound > interface.
Try listening to any iriver flash player or HD player and be unbiased...when you crank the Iriver it sounds full bassy and rich. When you crank the ipod it just distorts. Maybe they should get their hands on some of that iriver "funky signal processing"
Old 04-25-2004, 09:11 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I have the Garmin iTrip - it's terrific (far better than anything else).
Old 04-25-2004, 09:18 PM

Do you mean Griffin? Thats BS. An FM modulator will beat it. Its fact, not opinion.

Quick Reply: THE definitive iPod thread