Deadening the whole car. I have one stupid question

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 06:01 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Deadening the whole car. I have one stupid question

I just ordered enough dynamat extreme to do the whole car including the floor and roof. Probably going to lay down some extra insulation on the floor and wheel wells because the road noise is driving me crazy.

One question though. When I do the rear deck, do I go over all of the holes or leave them open for the bass to come through. The SQ is definately better with the center armrest closed but I assume I would have to leave this open if I dynamat the whole rear deck?
Old 09-22-2007, 10:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
first of all, cancel the order and look in to second skin sound deadner, less size and weight, and works much better, also it holds up better to heat and cold so it won't bring the headliner down. It doesn't smell not does it make it harder to install panels. As for you question, i think if you cover them, it will make it act like a sealed box rather than a free air. I would cover it up and see what happens, if not, cut out and make rectangular strips and apply elsewhere.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:41 PM
Team Owner

Sorry, I should have added that I have 2 12s in the trunk. Just not sure how the sound is going to get inside of the car with it all dynamatted. I'm probably going to do the backside of the deck cover since that's the main source of vibration. Removing the stock sub, and especially the center seatbelt really helped the sound quality.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:45 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
I dynamatted my car like 4 to 5 years ago with extreme and the original heavy shit on the trunk lid and spray in the corner. The rest of the car is just dynamat extreme. Only issue is you will add alot of weight to the car. I think I added a extra 150 lbs of weight from just that. My sub and box weigh another 120bs also.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:19 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Air is being moved by the speakers to create sound waves- that air needs somewhere to go-like out the moonroof or window, thats why you see so many cars buzzing with the bass and rattling all the sheet metal with everything closed up.

Look at real home speaker boxes- they have holes for the air to pass thru
You are turnng the trunk and the entire car into a giant speaker box
Buy what you want and get thinner friends if needed-- to keep gas mileage up
Old 09-24-2007, 08:41 PM
Team Owner

Still wondering about covering up all the holes. I know plenty people on here have done dynamat...
Old 09-24-2007, 10:16 PM
05 TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am the dynamat master! ccsmeance... Have you ever worked with dynamat extreme? It doesnt smell, doesnt loose stickiness, but it is heavy... I have about 3.5 boxes in my car.

I hate cars, spend your time on the trunk lid (remove the weight in there too), rear quarter panels, and doors. The floor sucks, there is already some there... If you do under the rear seats, remove the seat belts. That tar crap doesnt come off without a fight... And buy yourself a big box (100) of razor blades, a magnetic holder for the razors, and consider gloves the metal backing gets sharp. Cover the carpet, watch your shoes, knees, and your butt that you dont track tar around.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:40 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Kracker
I am the dynamat master! ccsmeance... Have you ever worked with dynamat extreme? It doesnt smell, doesnt loose stickiness, but it is heavy... I have about 3.5 boxes in my car.

I hate cars, spend your time on the trunk lid (remove the weight in there too), rear quarter panels, and doors. The floor sucks, there is already some there... If you do under the rear seats, remove the seat belts. That tar crap doesnt come off without a fight... And buy yourself a big box (100) of razor blades, a magnetic holder for the razors, and consider gloves the metal backing gets sharp. Cover the carpet, watch your shoes, knees, and your butt that you dont track tar around.
Thanks. I plan on setting an entire weekend aside to do this.

I still need to know do I cover up all the holes in the rear deck or cut around them. Basically, does the sound come through the rear seat or does it come from the deck?
Old 09-26-2007, 09:29 PM
05 TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you take the rear seat out there is a TON of noise coming out of the trunk... I think that they absorb alot of noise.

I would not cover up the sub hole... But there are a ton of holes up there. You need to be careful about not covering up the holes that the white pins go in.. And the rear (C?) pillars those airbag pins suck ass.

I took the center seat belt out.. Well moved it down and coved it with the dynamat, but I have worked really hard to make it a sealed enclosure so I can add a JL sub later.