Daylight Savings Time

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 12:11 AM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Daylight Savings Time

Not a big deal, but wanted to ask around and see if anyone else got into their TL today and found the navigation decided to set the time 1 hour back. I thought I was up extra early, until I looked at my watch and phone and realized DST hasn't ended yet.

Maybe it's time to update my navigation disc from 2004? :P
The following users liked this post:
Renescent (10-29-2012)
Old 10-29-2012, 02:15 AM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

Received 1,085 Likes on 810 Posts
Originally Posted by felixthecat
Not a big deal, but wanted to ask around and see if anyone else got into their TL today and found the navigation decided to set the time 1 hour back. I thought I was up extra early, until I looked at my watch and phone and realized DST hasn't ended yet.

Maybe it's time to update my navigation disc from 2004? :P
This.
Renescent (10-29-2012)
Old 10-29-2012, 06:16 AM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
Not at all. Your car is in the present while you were in the future.
Renescent (10-29-2012)
Old 10-29-2012, 07:11 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks for posting this... thought I was a little crazy this morning.

I do travel quite a bit so I was thinking the system hadn't changed when I crossed over the timeline on Friday.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:21 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I believe also that you can have the system update time from your phone, assuming that you have a phone paired through the HFL. I believe that is how I set mine up. '08 using the '11 NAV disk, so not sure if applicable.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:24 AM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
LOL same happened to me. My boss just told me they moved DST sometime in 2006/07.

Figured my phone was more accurate. I thought our GPS grabs DST data from the satellite. Guess I was wrong.

Last edited by ez12a; 10-29-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:30 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Haha, so I'm not completely crazy!

Originally Posted by Blooze
I believe also that you can have the system update time from your phone, assuming that you have a phone paired through the HFL. I believe that is how I set mine up. '08 using the '11 NAV disk, so not sure if applicable.
I have the '04 TL, and I haven't found anything in the owner's manual and the navi menu so this might not apply to me. At any rate, I gave it a few minutes before setting the hour 1 back.

Originally Posted by ez12a
LOL same happened to me. My boss just told me they moved DST sometime in 2006/07.

Figured my phone was more accurate. I thought our GPS grabs DST data from the satellite. Guess I was wrong.
I thought the same as well. Makes no sense why DST settings would be stored on the disc. It's another ploy to get us to pay $149!
Old 10-30-2012, 06:47 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it happened to me too i thought i was really early for work lol i even called a friend of mine to make sure
Old 10-31-2012, 10:22 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by felixthecat

I thought the same as well. Makes no sense why DST settings would be stored on the disc. It's another ploy to get us to pay $149!
Makes perfect sense that it would be stored on the disc. The GPS satellites do not tell a device what time it is. All they do is give the device your coordinates. The device's own software then determines what time it is based on its own programming.

This makes sense for a variety of reasons:
  • Time zone boundaries can change. For example, last year the Pacific island nation of Samoa changed which side of the International Date Line it was on by passing a law changing their time zone. The purpose was to ease communications and business transactions with Australia and New Zealand. Previously they had been 21 hours behind the current time in Sydney and it made for a huge hassle because for practical purposes they only shared four business days per week. They're now 3 hours ahead of Sydney (same relation as the US East Coast to the US West Coast).
  • Some places don't observe DST. Arizona is a notable one. That means Arizona is on the equivalent of Pacific Time during DST months and Mountain Time during non-DST months.
  • Some places change their DST rules. Indiana is a notable one. Until just a few years ago, the only parts of Indiana that observed DST were the small parts of the state on Central Time. All the parts of the state on Eastern Time did not observe DST. Now they do.
  • Some places ignore time zone boundaries. For example, Phenix City, Alabama, is legally within the Central Time Zone, but the town mostly operates on Eastern Time because the much larger city of Columbus, Georgia, is right across the river.
  • Congress has changed the DST laws multiple times. When I was a kid, it ran from the last Sunday in April to the last Sunday in October. It changed to the first Sunday in April sometime during Reagan's presidency. It stayed that way until 2007, when it changed to the current second Sunday in March to first Sunday in November.

But in all of the above situations, your actual location never changes. Disney World is located at 28° 25' 7" N, 81° 34' 52" W, regardless of what time it is or what time zone might be in effect. It's a lot more practical (and less expensive) simply to have the GPS devices' own software deal with these things (and be updated as needed) than it would be to have to reprogram the GPS satellites. So what happens in your TL is that the navigation system gets your location from the GPS and then plugs that location into its software to determine what time it is, and it adjusts automatically provided you have that option enabled.

Your mobile phone gets the time and date information from the cellular network, which is one major difference.

I know the 2004 TL does not allow for pulling the time off your phone and I assume the other model years that use the orange navigation DVD don't have that option either. Don't know about the white ones.
felixthecat (10-31-2012)