Dashboard Lights - Setting Default Dim Level?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 03:02 PM
'06 AM TL!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dashboard Lights - Setting Default Dim Level?

Hi all.

New '06 AM owner here. Couldn't be happier. I've learned so much about the car from lurking and reading these forums. This group is one of the reasons I decided on the TL!

One of the things I can't figure out is how to set a default dim level for the dash lights. I like my lights at about half Max Brightness. I set them there every time I get in. That's my problem, I have to reset it every time. When I turn off the car and restart the dash lights are back to Max brightness.

Is there a way to set a default level so every time I re-start the car it returns to half Max without having to press the minus button to reset the level? I thought that I could tie it into Driver 1 or 2 default settings for seat, mirror, etc., but no luck (for me at least). I've searched and read that once you set the level you can press Max Brightness, then press it again to return to your preset level. That works during one driving trip, but once you turn off the car it defaults to Max Brightness again.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:01 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by fore0121
Hi all.

New '06 AM owner here. Couldn't be happier. I've learned so much about the car from lurking and reading these forums. This group is one of the reasons I decided on the TL!

One of the things I can't figure out is how to set a default dim level for the dash lights. I like my lights at about half Max Brightness. I set them there every time I get in. That's my problem, I have to reset it every time. When I turn off the car and restart the dash lights are back to Max brightness.

Is there a way to set a default level so every time I re-start the car it returns to half Max without having to press the minus button to reset the level? I thought that I could tie it into Driver 1 or 2 default settings for seat, mirror, etc., but no luck (for me at least). I've searched and read that once you set the level you can press Max Brightness, then press it again to return to your preset level. That works during one driving trip, but once you turn off the car it defaults to Max Brightness again.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Did you press memory button # 1 after re-adjusting the brightness setting?
Check on page 83 of the owner's manual
Old 10-04-2009, 10:14 AM
'06 AM TL!

Originally Posted by kenny416
Did you press memory button # 1 after re-adjusting the brightness setting?
Check on page 83 of the owner's manual
I did try that, but doesn't seem to work. I'll try again but that part on p.83 is what I was thinking. All settings for Memory 1 should be retained, but brightness for some reason is not.

f
Old 10-04-2009, 11:59 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I did try that, but doesn't seem to work. I'll try again but that part on p.83 is what I was thinking. All settings for Memory 1 should be retained, but brightness for some reason is not.

f
I think you should start from scratch all over again if you really want it to work. First of all, you need to disconnect the cable in the battery and after connect the black one. Wait 15 minutes then you reconnect the terminal back to the way it was before. Then you get inside the car and set the brightness to your likings and turn the headlights on. Set your brightness for your night time driving to your likings as well as your seating. After, you press memory and see if you see two lights flashing on the memory 1 and memory 2. If it's flashing, press memory 1. Check your brightness that you set before. Then you start the engine, shut off the engine and see if the memory of your brightness was set or not. If you don't, then your memory unit is deflected. (the memory unit is locate under steering wheel). See pic's...Name:  MemoryUnit.jpg
Views: 2604
Size:  43.5 KB
Old 10-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Hi all.

Congrats on the TL.

It sounds like you just need to link the remote (usually driver 1) that you use-- the remote controls light, audio, ventilation, seat and external mirror settings. The memory 1 button on the door only saves the seat and mirror positions, IIRC.
Relinking instructions are on the back of each remote in tiny print, or in the owner's manual (.pdf version in the 3G Garage in stickied link on 3G TL main page)-very simple process I can't remember!

Welcome to AZ!
Old 10-04-2009, 04:01 PM
'06 AM TL!

Originally Posted by Will Y.
Congrats on the TL.

It sounds like you just need to link the remote (usually driver 1) that you use-- the remote controls light, audio, ventilation, seat and external mirror settings. The memory 1 button on the door only saves the seat and mirror positions, IIRC.
Relinking instructions are on the back of each remote in tiny print, or in the owner's manual (.pdf version in the 3G Garage in stickied link on 3G TL main page)-very simple process I can't remember!

Welcome to AZ!
Will, this worked like a charm! Thanks so much.

A few more questions if I could. When you say the remote also controls Audio and Ventilation, what exactly does it do? As an example, for Audio, if I leave the radio on a certain station and re-link the remote will it automatically turn to that station and the volume level I set it to on startup? I would like the radio to start as the default screen, rather than going straight to Navigation (just realized I forgot to mention I have the 5AT Navi), is that possible as well? I guess same for Ventilation, wherever I leave it will it remember my favorite setting after linking the remote?

So much to try!

Kenny, thanks also for your advice. I figured I'd try the easier solution first. You are quite the technician. I followed your non-navi to navi conversion. That's a lot of work! You do T.O. proud!

f
Old 10-04-2009, 04:38 PM
Registered but harmless

A few more questions if I could. When you say the remote also controls Audio and Ventilation, what exactly does it do? As an example, for Audio, if I leave the radio on a certain station and re-link the remote will it automatically turn to that station and the volume level I set it to on startup? I would like the radio to start as the default screen, rather than going straight to Navigation (just realized I forgot to mention I have the 5AT Navi), is that possible as well? I guess same for Ventilation, wherever I leave it will it remember my favorite setting after linking the remote?
Each remote has an individual memory.
Once programmed, each remote will also recall its last audio presets, the source (AM, FM, XM or disc) last on, the volume level and the ventilation/climate control settings from when the car was last turned on with that remote. That way, if someone else drives the car with the other remote, you won't be irritated by their seating, audio and ventilation settings (i.e. a friend who likes her car set @ 82*F , while my wife likes soft rock on some commercial-laden station and is shorter than me. Thank goodness for the individual remotes! )

FWIW, my favorite setting on ventilation is Auto @ 71*F; I can push "off" and open the sunroof &/or windows for nice days like today, and push "Auto" for hotter days.

The Navi screen defaults to the warning screen, then turns off, so the only way to get the radio control screen on is to: 1) tap the Audio button, or 2) use voice control via the Navi voice control button on the back of the steering wheel (Navi does not have to be on screen for that). There is a long list of voice commands accessible through the Navi manual link of the owner's manual on-line as well as in the separate Navi manual that you hopefully received with the car.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:58 PM
'06 AM TL!

Thanks Will. I knew there must be a way to set the dimmer properly, I didn't think the remote controlled the other functions as well. The seat/mirrors I read in the manual, didn't see anything about all the other settings being thru the remote.

I've gotten quite good with the voice command in the week I've had the car. It's a feature I thought was overkill and not really necessary. I've come to realize it's quite handy and really love it so far.

f
Old 10-26-2014, 09:19 AM
9th Gear

Dim all the way to off.

Can the light be dimmed all the way down to off or almost off?
Old 10-26-2014, 07:59 PM
Registered but harmless

Originally Posted by Bejamin77
Can the light be dimmed all the way down to off or almost off?
Yes.
Just remember that there are three instrument panel lighting modes, for headlights off, headlights on and hitting the "Max" button to bring the level to full bright.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:38 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
The "Max" button is a useful toggle for situations where you need to use the headlights during the day (driving in rain or snow, driving on a two-lane road with passing zones, driving somewhere that requires headlights such as the Confederation Bridge, etc.). Normally turning on the lights will dim your dashboard lights to whatever setting you configured and will throw your Navi screen into "Night" mode. That can all be rather hard to see during the day. Using the "Max" button is an easy way to return it all to normal daytime brightness, and hitting it a second time will then send it back to the "night" settings.

For the same reason, the feature can be useful in the early morning shortly after sunrise and the late evening shortly before sunset when you need your lights on but the "night" display isn't quite bright enough.