A Couple Dom's Unit Install Questions

Old 06-21-2010, 05:27 PM
My Other Ride is a Huey

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A Couple Dom's Unit Install Questions

So i'm going to install my dom's unit this weekend and I have a few questions that I couldn't find answered on here. I drive a 07 TL-S for reference:

1. Do we have a video cable for our stock back up camera? Is it plugged into the back of the GPS DVD rom because I didn't see it there. I know this cable needs to go into dom's unit.

2. I bought another switch at radio shack because i don't like the look of the one that came with the unit that switches it from nav to video. It says its rated as 10A at 125VAC or 6A at 250VAC. Can i still use this in the car or do I need to find a DC switch.

3. The power cord supplied has a red and black wire coming out of it. The red goes to the power source (cig lighter) and the black is ground correct?

Forgive my newbish questions. To make up for it I plan on making a step by step DIY

Thanks!
Old 06-21-2010, 06:38 PM
My Other Ride is a Huey

Disregard question #2, the switch that came with the unit says AC on it as well, the switch I bought at radio shack should be good to go (correct me if I'm wrong).
Old 06-21-2010, 08:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by tragichero
So i'm going to install my dom's unit this weekend and I have a few questions that I couldn't find answered on here. I drive a 07 TL-S for reference:

1. Do we have a video cable for our stock back up camera? Is it plugged into the back of the GPS DVD rom because I didn't see it there. I know this cable needs to go into dom's unit.

2. I bought another switch at radio shack because i don't like the look of the one that came with the unit that switches it from nav to video. It says its rated as 10A at 125VAC or 6A at 250VAC. Can i still use this in the car or do I need to find a DC switch.

3. The power cord supplied has a red and black wire coming out of it. The red goes to the power source (cig lighter) and the black is ground correct?

Forgive my newbish questions. To make up for it I plan on making a step by step DIY

Thanks!
1. There is a separate cable for the backup camera, however it isn't solely a video input. It provides power for the camera as well.

3. Correct

FYI be sure to place it in an area securely so it doesn't fall off and rattle later on. As well run all of the cables for video while you have it apart so if you decide to hook up something else later on, you don't have to rip apart the whole car.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:01 PM
My Other Ride is a Huey

Awesome, thanks. So where is the stock backup camera cable and does it need to be plugged into dom's unit still?
Old 06-22-2010, 05:48 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
If you have an 07 TL-S, you should have a camera already installed on the car since it had navigation right from the factory. You should not have to do anything.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:53 PM
My Other Ride is a Huey

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
If you have an 07 TL-S, you should have a camera already installed on the car since it had navigation right from the factory. You should not have to do anything.
Yup, i know that. But i still need to splice into the reverse lights so that it swaps over to the backup camera if im in video mode correct?
Old 06-22-2010, 08:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Awesome, thanks. So where is the stock backup camera cable and does it need to be plugged into dom's unit still?
Yup, i know that. But i still need to splice into the reverse lights so that it swaps over to the backup camera if im in video mode correct?
Nope, wire up the reverse signal wires with a switch and connect it to a 12V source so you can use it as a second input. The picture from the stock camera is routed straight into the Navi DVD drive. If you hook up anything to do with dom's to the reverse lights, then your going to loose the picture of the factory camera and get a blank picture.