Compass error?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 09:48 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Compass error?

I noticed something very strange. I have an '05 and when my navi view is set where the arrow for the car on the screen always points up, and the compass in the upper left corner should show your direction, mine seems to be confused. It accurately shows when I head north and south, but it is backwards when it tries to give my east/west direction. Not sure if this makes sense but for example if I'm driving north the red point on the compass in the upper left corner is correct, if I make a right (now heading east) the red point on the compass points west. The odd thing is if I switch the navi view so the screen scrolls in the direction you're driving and the upper left corner shows the steady arrow pointing upwards with the "N" under it, the screen is completely accurate. Sorry if I'm not writing this too clearly, but has anyone else had this problem or have an idea how to correct it?
Old 04-28-2005, 01:20 AM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think your nav is okay. If I understand you correctly, when you turn east the red arrow points up, which is north, not west. The direction opposite the one in which you are going is west. Think about it.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:13 AM
Instructor

The red end of the arrow indicates north, whether you're in permanent north view (red arrow up with N underneath), or the car heading up. The owner's manual explains this better and has screen shots to demonstrate.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:49 AM
2nd Gear

OH - got it - I understand it now. I read through the manual when I got the car but missed that point. I was thinking the red arrow was acting as a compass instead of always pointing north. Strange, but it least I understand it and can figure out the direction. Thanks to you both.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:07 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by redroc86
I was thinking the red arrow was acting as a compass instead of always pointing north.
Hmm... isn't that the definition of a compass? It always points North doesn't it?
Old 04-28-2005, 02:24 PM
I'm Baaack!

A compass is not the most intuitive device. Especially if you've never used a real one. Reading a map where the compas moves and you don't can be a bit difficult until you get used to it.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:05 PM
Advanced

Does anyone have the issue with the compass changing it's pointing direction when you change direction?

I'll turn onto a road and the navigation display will change but the "compass" pointer in the upper-left corner of the display does change. But, if you either change the display to audio then back to navigation OR touch the "compass" to change to "North UP" then back to show actual direction the direction will update to correct bearing.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:38 PM
Cruisin'

rocketguy: I had that problem intermittently with my '03 Accord Navi. I haven't noticed it yet in my 06 TL. Unless they fixed it recently, I bet the bug is still there. The Navs between the two are identical except for the HFL dialing and the fact that they stole my Trip Computer and gave me a crappy one in the MID in return.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:30 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
Yup, I've got the same problem with my CND '05 Navi. I know how it is supposed to work (display's compass when zoomed in, otherwise just an indicator telling you North it "up" on the map. If after turning, you touch the north/compass indicator twice the correct direction will be shown. For some reason the compass does not update continuously as one would expect.
As far as I'm concerned this is a defect and will be asking the dealer to fix the problem.

Originally Posted by rocketguy
Does anyone have the issue with the compass changing it's pointing direction when you change direction?

I'll turn onto a road and the navigation display will change but the "compass" pointer in the upper-left corner of the display does change. But, if you either change the display to audio then back to navigation OR touch the "compass" to change to "North UP" then back to show actual direction the direction will update to correct bearing.