Clifford G5... Opinions Please

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 07:57 AM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Clifford G5... Opinions Please

I'm about to buy a Clifford G5 AvantGuard 5.1 alarm.

I would really like opinions on this alarm. What are your thoughts? Would you recommend something else instead? If so, why?

Do you have one? What can you say about it?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Trew
I'm about to buy a Clifford G5 AvantGuard 5.1 alarm.

I would really like opinions on this alarm. What are your thoughts? Would you recommend something else instead? If so, why?

Do you have one? What can you say about it?

Thanks in advance.
I love the Avantgaurd!! As long as it stays in the box. It's a great alarm with great features and toys. I've installed many of them over the past 10 years. As an installer, I would never put it in my car. As a customer, I would never pay for that install. It is a very complicated system and although it looks great on paper the system is not easy to use.

There are many alarms offered by DEI that have usable features at a good price that are easy to use.

P.S. Always buy your DEI products from an authorized dealer/installer. Running something that important without any warranty or support is not smart. The more you know!
Old 03-17-2009, 10:33 AM
08 TL-S NBP

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
make sure to get it with tilt sensor, battery back up, and proximity sensor. That will make you go crazy but very necessary now.

I have a Viper while my parents have a clifford, there all pretty much the same but I prefer the clifford just cause sometimes I hit unlock on my remote and I have to do it two or three times in order for it to work. The clifford works the first time all the time, so good choice.

I would suggest the Matrix 50.7x, it comes with a small screen that will show u if a door is open, hood, trunk, etc. Plus if any sensors go off, it will tell you exactly on what part of the car they went off.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:15 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by uncald4
I love the Avantgaurd!! As long as it stays in the box. It's a great alarm with great features and toys. I've installed many of them over the past 10 years. As an installer, I would never put it in my car. As a customer, I would never pay for that install. It is a very complicated system and although it looks great on paper the system is not easy to use.

There are many alarms offered by DEI that have usable features at a good price that are easy to use.

P.S. Always buy your DEI products from an authorized dealer/installer. Running something that important without any warranty or support is not smart. The more you know!

I'm with him...STAY AWAY FROM THIS ALARM...the G5 product line is a total gimick..it replaced the intelliguard systems...which were also crap in my honest opinion...

what features were u lookin for trew?

-Jason
Old 03-17-2009, 02:27 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Received 1,992 Likes on 1,366 Posts
I have one with remote start and have had no problems at all.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:55 PM
Drifting

interesting..

I want an alarm that integrates with the vehicle deeply. Something that can't be bypassed by simply cutting a wire or ripping out the alarm. The G5 offers the immobilizer, which works with our vehicle's OEM immobilizer system. Even if the alarm is removed, the car still will not start.

The AvantGuard 5.1 comes with a tilt sensor, dual zone proximity sensor, battery backup (self-powered siren), remote start and an adjustable omnisensor (shock sensor). As well as an anti-carjack device which requires you to press a sequence of buttons every time you start (if you want to enable it). It did not come with glass break sensors, but the dealer threw it in for free.

I actually bought it with the intention of installing myself. When I took it out of the box, I said "fuck this" and put it back in the box and went back to the store to talk to the manager. There is like 100 wires to connect! I ended up getting a good deal on the install, including the additional module that controls door locks, trunk pop, etc.

The only thing this thing does not have that I am looking for is a 2-way pager. I know the Matrix 50.7x has it, but the G5 is in an entirely different league than the other DEI products. This is, in fact, the only genuine Clifford product still being made.

From what I've read so far, this seems to be the highest rated alarm Clifford/DEI makes.

So now, I just got my car back from the trunk install... and now it's back in a shop again for another few days

Last edited by Trew; 03-17-2009 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:21 PM
Pro

interesting..

I want an alarm that integrates with the vehicle deeply. Something that can't be bypassed by simply cutting a wire or ripping out the alarm. The G5 offers the immobilizer, which works with our vehicle's OEM immobilizer system. Even if the alarm is removed, the car still will not start.

The AvantGuard 5.1 comes with a tilt sensor, dual zone proximity sensor, battery backup (self-powered siren), remote start and an adjustable omnisensor (shock sensor). As well as an anti-carjack device which requires you to press a sequence of buttons every time you start (if you want to enable it). It did not come with glass break sensors, but the dealer threw it in for free.

I actually bought it with the intention of installing myself. When I took it out of the box, I said "fuck this" and put it back in the box and went back to the store to talk to the manager. There is like 100 wires to connect! I ended up getting a good deal on the install, including the additional module that controls door locks, trunk pop, etc.

The only thing this thing does not have that I am looking for is a 2-way pager. I know the Matrix 50.7x has it, but the G5 is in an entirely different league than the other DEI products. This is, in fact, the only genuine Clifford product still being made.

From what I've read so far, this seems to be the highest rated alarm Clifford/DEI makes.

So now, I just got my car back from the trunk install... and now it's back in a shop again for another few days
idatalink module still enables and disables the factory alarm through data...in the event that the unit is removed and the vehicle was armed at the time...the vehicle will not start until

a...factory keyfob is pressed...
b...factory key turns key cylinder in driver's door to pulse the disarm wire...

no alarm is foolproof...in the past 6 years i've installed 2-3 remotestart alarms per day...some days up to 6...depending on the vehicles in question...so i myself or anyother installer can disable and start your car within a matter of seconds...reguardless of brand,price or installation efforts...just remember that...and all in all an alarm will stop would be thieves...however...a flatbed is much much quicker at getting the car outta sight of the general public...and stripping it wherever...so keep that in mind...

the G5 is no different than anyother alarm in terms of integration...all alarms are universal..so they all integrate into the vehicle the exact same way...wire to wire...now wether it is a data controlled wire,multiplexed wire or simply +/- triggered wire...is an entire differnt story...

that being said on the TL..using the Idatalink module with a compatable data to data bus port alarm...you can install a full remote start alarm in less than 75 mins on a TL...in a process which used to take almost 4 hrs...times have changed but the labor stays the same !

but again the G5 series of alarms is a total hunk of crap...as was stated by uncald4 looks great on paper and pretty in the box....it is by far one of the most useless alarm system imaginable...installation and configuration of the fuckin thing sux...u can program most alarms through a momentary pulse push button switch which is so quick...or a bit writer....or avox has an RF programmer...G5 has some weird software...which sux ass...or you can program it through combination of button pushes...stars and blanks...fricken homo...just like back in the day...intelliguard series alarms had a three way valet switch...one was was a pulse the other way was latched...dumbest idea ever...so complex and tedious to program...hated those things...and when shit goes wrong with those series of alarms...good luck...circuitry design is so complex...blah...throw it in the trash..

.go pick up a differnet series of DEI product and put it in...call it good...I just installed 3 viper 5901s today...solid...easy installation...kinda homo how they integrated the antenna,valet switch, and led all into one "Control Center" i recommend getting the external LED and valet switch...

done ranting

-Jason

btw...tl alarm w/remote start...will take approx 15 wires with the oldschool "lose a key bypass"

idatalink takes less than 8 and you're done...
Old 03-17-2009, 07:28 PM
Drifting

You know your shit, Jason. iDataLink is exactly what it is. They threw that in for free too. I'm a great haggler. I got the whole thing w/installation for just over $800.

At this point, my car is already at the installer's getting the alarm put in... so I hope this is not as bad as you say it is. I will do a full write up once it's done.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:46 PM
Pro

You know your shit, Jason. iDataLink is exactly what it is. They threw that in for free too. I'm a great haggler. I got the whole thing w/installation for just over $800.

At this point, my car is already at the installer's getting the alarm put in... so I hope this is not as bad as you say it is. I will do a full write up once it's done.
well at least you must be going to a reputable shop...but 800 bones...fuck...rape...the most expensive alarm i've installed was close to 2100 with gps and cellular tracking on some lambone!...what a bitch...no room under there to get anything done...

for 800 bucks does your car drive itself?

-Jason
Old 03-17-2009, 07:54 PM
Drifting

broom broom, paaahty staahta!
Old 03-19-2009, 11:54 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by uncald4

Originally Posted by CSWBiggs
I'm with him...STAY AWAY FROM THIS ALARM...the G5 product line is a total gimick..it replaced the intelliguard systems...which were also crap in my honest opinion...

what features were u lookin for trew?

-Jason

Alright, from reading this thread, what I'm getting from the 2 experts here, is that its not a good alarm because its too hard to install? I have a Clifford 3.5 RSX, basically the same as the Matrix 50.5 just lower range, but I want to know did I sacrifice any security features.

I love my alarm and I dont regret my purchase but I'm just looking to see what' the real scoop is on this G5 and why its so much more liked or in this thread disliked.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:54 AM
Safety Car

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
Trew- this new fancy alarm will NOT stop me from stealing parts off your car.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by CarrieLynn
Trew- this new fancy alarm will NOT stop me from stealing parts off your car.
That comment is funny as hell and genius at the same time. I'm glad you said that CarrieLynn.

A professional car jacker will gank your goods no matter how much protection it promises. There are so many gimmicks out in the vehicle security market. There are 3 things that matter to me and are proven....

Brand Reliability and Support

Theft Deterrent and Prevention (blinking security light)

2 way Remote Start/Alarm

Those 3 things add up to "peace of mind" for me. I don't care for blinking lights but they do make a potential jacker think twice. I would rather have the Clifford Matrix 3.5RSX than any Avantguard system. Features on the AV5 can be added to any two way DEI alarm for very little money.

P.S. Always buy DEI products from an Authorized Dealer/Installer. With something that important you need a warranty and support.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:47 AM
Safety Car

^ thanks, I am funny and genius, glad you noticed hahahaha

soooooooo anyway, I reallly wouldnt steal anything from Trew's car..he has cop friends

i'm sure you saw the pics he put up of his new trunk setup, you know the ones where he has his cop friends helping with the install?
Where do you think he got all that nice new stuff in his trunk from?? I'm SURE that wasnt stolen. And if it was, I'm SURE it will never be recovered...know what I mean?

hahaha, trew you wanted this..........
Old 03-21-2009, 02:01 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Yeah I do have to agree that the AVANTGUARD not having 2 way functionality was a big shocker for that price tag for me. I can't live without the 2 way as its the only thing that alerts me when I'm sleeping in my room and sometimes I can't here wats going on outside. For that alone I wouldn't have gotten the AVANTGUARD. I also agree on the theory of a pro will always get your stuff regardless if he wants it.

Still not certainly clear as to why the Avantguard is ranked higher in the product line then.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:58 PM
Drifting

CarrieLynn is a poopoo head...

There... Beat that!
Old 03-22-2009, 07:33 PM
Safety Car

CarrieLynn is a poopoo head...

There... Beat that!
lame