CleanSweep measurements in a TL (before and after)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005 | 05:32 PM
Team Anthracite Member

kyle,

You're using a cleansweep just on the four main channels I'm assuming. So what did you do with the center channel and sub? Did you boost the sub input the to stock amp and bring that to the Alpine amp, or did you take the signal at speaker level from the subwoofer itself? And what about the center channel for Navi functions? When the car talks to you, how does that work?
Old 12-23-2005 | 11:00 PM
2005 WDP TL

Originally Posted by zax123
kyle,

You're using a cleansweep just on the four main channels I'm assuming. So what did you do with the center channel and sub? Did you boost the sub input the to stock amp and bring that to the Alpine amp, or did you take the signal at speaker level from the subwoofer itself? And what about the center channel for Navi functions? When the car talks to you, how does that work?
My center is turned off through the radio.
My factory sub is removed, the JL sub is powered by a 5 channel amp that accepts 4 channel input. The front and rear Focal speakers are on a 100 hz high pass filter, the sub is on a 80 hz low pass filter. The sub plays only subwoofer info. The reason I left a gap between frequencies is due to the crossovers being only 12db/octave. I didn't want the speakers trying to play the same information.

My hands free still works perfectly.
Old 12-23-2005 | 11:04 PM
2005 WDP TL

Originally Posted by jjh1234
Manville,

During your testing, did you verify that the front and rear channels are full range to the speakers, or is all low frequency routed the the sub. Are the crossovers done in the OEM head unit or the OEM amp? This would help me decide where to get the singnal for the Cleansweep. I have not seen an ideal solution to run amps for the center and sub with the Cleansweep yet.

Thanks,
JJH1234
I haven't seen Manville reply to a post in quite a while, I tried pming him a month or two ago and didn't get a response. I do believe the speakers are full range, there is a crossover for the seperates up front.......good luck on the center issue.
Old 12-24-2005 | 10:43 AM
Team Anthracite Member

kyle,

Do you have a Navi TL? If so, does the sound still come out of the center channel when the car speaks?
Old 12-24-2005 | 12:32 PM
A.K.A Comptechtype-S!!

Originally Posted by kyle-wdp
I doubt it......the largest JL audio retailer in my area has sold only two cleansweeps. They are a car audio specialty store and get a lot of dealership business. I think the cleansweep we have will be around for a while. I would love to see them add more preamp style features like a sub out with a selectable slope crossover (6,12,24 db/octave) and maybe even a chip style in and out fully adjustable crossover a la kicker amps.

As far as the 5.1 goes to each his own. It is definetly neat on the one track where you can hear a laugh or cough behind you or to your right.....
as for me I don't miss it- that's all. I love my semi-stage.
I went and spoke to a friend that owns a car audio store and he said that Rockford and Zapco are comming out with products that do the same thing that the cleansweep does. The rockford peice is supposed to be out areound Feb of 06 and the Zapco peice will be out a little after mid yr 06.

I will try to find more info on the rockford peice and post new info as i find it.
Old 12-27-2005 | 03:16 PM
1st Gear

so im an idiot, i have the 5.1 system and with the cleansweep and just using front and rear components, is it goin to sound good at all? using just cd's and xm i dont care about a center channel
Old 12-27-2005 | 04:35 PM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

Originally Posted by twobarcar
so im an idiot, i have the 5.1 system and with the cleansweep and just using front and rear components, is it goin to sound good at all? using just cd's and xm i dont care about a center channel
If you get the right aftermarket speakers, it will sound WAYYYY better!
My install: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2184473
Old 12-28-2005 | 05:20 PM
Intermediate

Manville,

During your testing, did you verify that the front and rear channels are full range to the speakers, or is all low frequency routed the the sub. Are the crossovers done in the OEM head unit or the OEM amp? This would help me decide where to get the singnal for the Cleansweep. I have not seen an ideal solution to run amps for the center and sub with the Cleansweep yet.

Thanks,
JJH1234
All five main channels are full-range and equalized. Only the sub is filtered. The sub LP is implemented in the head unit.

The best place to grab signal for the CleanSweep is at the amplifier inputs.

I have not tested a 5.1 implementation with dual CleanSweeps yet.
Old 12-28-2005 | 05:22 PM
Intermediate

kyle,

When "down-converting" to stereo via a CleanSweep, you simply turn your center speaker level all the way down on your Acura head unit. The nav will still talk through it even though it's turned all the way down.
Old 12-28-2005 | 05:25 PM
Intermediate

Sorry I haven't been around for a while guys. You can always e-mail me at "myusername"@jlaudio.com if you have any questions.

Manville Smith
JL Audio, Inc.
Old 12-28-2005 | 05:38 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Thanks Manville,

So in a single Cleansweep setup in the TL, you would use the cleansweep for the four main channels, turn off the center completely (except for Navi use) and not pass the sub signal through a cleansweep? You'd just grab the sub out from the head unit before it gets to the stock amp and pass that through a level converter to bring it up to 4 or 5V, and then stick that to the line level input of a sub amp? Or would you let the sub signal go through the stock amp and use the speaker level input on a sub amp?
Old 12-28-2005 | 05:52 PM
"Joe Cool"

Anyone here speak ENGLISH...anyone?????

Sorry, couldn't help it.

Here's to me. .
Old 12-29-2005 | 08:41 AM
Intermediate

Thanks Manville,

So in a single Cleansweep setup in the TL, you would use the cleansweep for the four main channels, turn off the center completely (except for Navi use) and not pass the sub signal through a cleansweep? You'd just grab the sub out from the head unit before it gets to the stock amp and pass that through a level converter to bring it up to 4 or 5V, and then stick that to the line level input of a sub amp? Or would you let the sub signal go through the stock amp and use the speaker level input on a sub amp?
No, you would use the four main channels as inputs to the CleanSweep and drive the sub amp from the preamp output of your four-channnel amp (if it has one), or simply y-connect the sub amp from the front outputs of the CleanSweep if no preamp output is available. The main four channels are full-range so you won't be missing anything with a stereo recording. The only penalty is that you would not hear the LFE information if you played a DVD-A.
Old 12-29-2005 | 09:05 AM
AAP
Instructor

Originally Posted by msmith
No, you would use the four main channels as inputs to the CleanSweep and drive the sub amp from the preamp output of your four-channnel amp (if it has one), or simply y-connect the sub amp from the front outputs of the CleanSweep if no preamp output is available. The main four channels are full-range so you won't be missing anything with a stereo recording. The only penalty is that you would not hear the LFE information if you played a DVD-A.
So Manville ...

CES is just around the corner ... when does JL plan to go public with the 2006 Product Line ... I am not asking about Products in detail ... just the date ...since you are the VP of Marketing I would think you would know the press release dates on your products ...

On another forum you mentioned additions to the Cleansweep Line ... which is why I ask ... because zax123 could be right on the 5.1 Cleansweep ... and I do not want to miss out on it if he is ...

Does JL do a first day of CES type of release schedule?

Any clue's you could share with your buddies on Acura Zine ... seeing as it is only 2 weeks away anyways?
Old 12-29-2005 | 09:21 AM
AAP
Instructor

Originally Posted by AAP
So Manville ...

CES is just around the corner ... when does JL plan to go public with the 2006 Product Line ... I am not asking about Products in detail ... just the date ...since you are the VP of Marketing I would think you would know the press release dates on your products ...

On another forum you mentioned additions to the Cleansweep Line ... which is why I ask ... because zax123 could be right on the 5.1 Cleansweep ... and I do not want to miss out on it if he is ...

Does JL do a first day of CES type of release schedule?

Any clue's you could share with your buddies on Acura Zine ... seeing as it is only 2 weeks away anyways?
Oh ... and specifically ... and new Amps or Subs... I really wish you guy's made a bigger 5 channel amp ... 600 or 700watts ... 100x2+25x2+350(450) x 1... that would rock
Old 12-29-2005 | 01:43 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Hmm... losing LFE on DVD-A might suck. I have quite a few DVD-As now...

I'll consider this. But as AAP says, maybe you guys have a 5.1 unit up your sleeves.
Old 12-29-2005 | 01:50 PM
AAP
Instructor

Hmm... losing LFE on DVD-A might suck. I have quite a few DVD-As now...

I'll consider this. But as AAP says, maybe you guys have a 5.1 unit up your sleeves.
Actually ... after some investigation on the internet of JL's comments ... the upgrades to the Cleansweep in 2006 will not be 5.1 sound ... it should be a box to Sum (Mid,Low,High) frequencies into the Cleansweep ... and a multiple Aux-In Box ... I am 100% sure that these 2 units exist ... but it seems like no 5.1 unit exists ...

This is from some simple internet detective work ... while I could show the places I got this info ... I do not want to piss off msmith.

All I want to know now is if they have any new amp's in the lineup ... or subs ...
Old 12-30-2005 | 09:25 AM
Intermediate

We'll have the new products up on the JL Audio website next Thursday (Jan 5th)...

Sorry to disappoint, but we will not be showing a 5.1 CleanSweep product at the show. It is definitely in the development pipeline but not for 2006.

In the interest of honest and open disclosure, it appears that Rockford Fosgate will show an interesting processor with 5.1 input / output capabilities that might be a very good solution in the TL. I've also heard that Alpine and JBL will show some "Cleansweep-type" devices (I have no details on them, however).

See what we started?

Manville Smith
JL Audio, Inc.
Old 12-30-2005 | 10:17 AM
AAP
Instructor

We'll have the new products up on the JL Audio website next Thursday (Jan 5th)...

Sorry to disappoint, but we will not be showing a 5.1 CleanSweep product at the show. It is definitely in the development pipeline but not for 2006.

In the interest of honest and open disclosure, it appears that Rockford Fosgate will show an interesting processor with 5.1 input / output capabilities that might be a very good solution in the TL. I've also heard that Alpine and JBL will show some "Cleansweep-type" devices (I have no details on them, however).

See what we started?

Manville Smith
JL Audio, Inc.
Thanks for the info Manville ... and hopefully .. my detective work is not going to get anyone in trouble ...
Old 12-30-2005 | 10:27 AM
Intermediate

Not at all AAP... if you see a very quiet black helicopter landing on your roof with a bunch of black-clad commandos pouring out of it, you will know who sent it.
Old 12-30-2005 | 10:57 AM
Racer

Not at all AAP... if you see a very quiet black helicopter landing on your roof with a bunch of black-clad commandos pouring out of it, you will know who sent it.

RUN AAP, RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!
Old 12-30-2005 | 04:50 PM
AAP
Instructor

RUN AAP, RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!
Hey ... it's not my fault that as a web developer ... I know how we think ... and a DB driven website ... well ... let's just say ... it is fairly simple to find out what I did ...

Manville ... love the Subaru

Now I just have to save up for all of those JL parts for my TL ....
Old 12-30-2005 | 05:32 PM
Team Anthracite Member

AAP... what was the page_id?
Old 12-30-2005 | 06:14 PM
AAP
Instructor

AAP... what was the page_id?
Dont remember the exact number ... but it was between 175-195 ....
Old 12-30-2005 | 06:28 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Nice, cool Subaru. I'd like to do the same to my TL. Retain functionality yet upgrade the system... for now I'll keep dreaming.
Old 12-30-2005 | 07:24 PM
AAP
Instructor

Nice, cool Subaru. I'd like to do the same to my TL. Retain functionality yet upgrade the system... for now I'll keep dreaming.

Shhh ... dont tell anyone ... lets see if the non-techies can figure it out ...
Old 12-30-2005 | 07:28 PM
Team Anthracite Member

hehehe.

No offence to JL which I KNOW makes good quality mobile audio gear, but I'm all curious about this 5.1 Monster Cleansweep-type unit now.
Old 12-30-2005 | 07:39 PM
AAP
Instructor

hehehe.

No offence to JL which I KNOW makes good quality mobile audio gear, but I'm all curious about this 5.1 Monster Cleansweep-type unit now.
A friend of mine who works for the local Alpine Distributor ... said that Alpine should (not 100% sure) have a 5.1 Cleansweep type unit this year at CES. Along with Rockford ... which Manville stated.

I guess ... the market for 5.1 is still very small ... even if I were to get a 5.1 Cleansweep-Type product ... I would only use it in a 4.1 mode (not use the center channel) ...

This should be a good year ... (as if any are not) ... for car audio ... hopefully ... I can get a system in my TL this year ... as a Sound System + Rim's are the only 2 big mods I plan to do to this car ... so ... Sounds in 2006 ... Rims in 2007 (or when my tires are worn out) ...

I guess next week will be a big week .. since CES starts on the 5th of Jan ... most of the companies will have press releases out that day ....

Sadly ... if JL does not have a 5.1 Cleansweep for 2006 ... I may have to get the Alpine version ... which should be just as good (if not better) as the JL unit ... and that might just push me to an all Alpine system with my friends discount ...
Old 12-30-2005 | 07:41 PM
Team Anthracite Member

AAP, keep us posted on what you decide to do. 2006 is the rims year for me (RonJon 1-piece 19" Devotions on pre-order), so I guess late 2006 or 2007 will be the sound year for me, but I want to keep doing research to eventually find the BEST solution for the TL while maximizing functionality (trunk space/spare tire use...).
Old 12-30-2005 | 09:08 PM
AAP
Instructor

AAP, keep us posted on what you decide to do. 2006 is the rims year for me (RonJon 1-piece 19" Devotions on pre-order), so I guess late 2006 or 2007 will be the sound year for me, but I want to keep doing research to eventually find the BEST solution for the TL while maximizing functionality (trunk space/spare tire use...).
I have a great relationship with a local installer ... my system ... not detailed to actual parts would be:

1 - 4 Channel Amp - Front&Rears
1 - Mono Amp - Sub
1 - 10 inch Sub
1 - Pair 6.5 inch Components (Front)
1 - Pair 6.5 inch Coax (Rear)
1 - Cleansweep Type Device ...

I plan to have the sub installed into a custom box ... that fits in the area on the drivers size of the trunk opposite the navigation. The amps on a rack that lay's flat in the back of the trunk ... with cover's to allow bag's to be put on top ...

I am a person interested in Sound Quality ... not SPL (Loudness) ... so this system makes sense for me.

I will make sure to post pictures when I get done ... may be a while ...

(Manville ... sorry to hijack your thread)
Old 12-30-2005 | 09:44 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Your system layout sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. I can't decide whether or not to sacrifice the spare tire though. I suppose there won't be a HUGE loss in space if the amps are laying flat on top of the spare tire compartment. Where would you put the cleansweep-type device? I like the 10-inch sub location, sounds awesome. You wouldn't consider a 5-channel amp?
Old 12-30-2005 | 10:01 PM
AAP
Instructor

Your system layout sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. I can't decide whether or not to sacrifice the spare tire though. I suppose there won't be a HUGE loss in space if the amps are laying flat on top of the spare tire compartment. Where would you put the cleansweep-type device? I like the 10-inch sub location, sounds awesome. You wouldn't consider a 5-channel amp?
Well .. the amp rack I envision ... should only loose about 5 inches of vertical space ... since bags could be place on it ... as far as 5 channel amps ... well ... JL and Alpine both make one ... and I can considered both ... depending on price and budget ... I may go 5 channel ... I hope both come out with more powerful versions in 06 ...
Old 12-30-2005 | 11:33 PM
Burning Brakes

AAP,

Great idea on the trunk configuration. I was planning to do the same thing with my JL amps. I plan to lay my amps flat against the back floor of the trunk and still be able to use my pass through door. I want to retain my 5.1 so my preamp signals will be going to a line driver (audio control matrix) then onto my amps. I'll wait for a 5.1 cleansweep device then I can switch the audiocontrol unit for the cleansweep device. I was hoping JL would be the first to have one but Alpine is a good choice. My speakers are CDT EF Series all the way around. I am going for SQ not SPL. I listen to all kinds of music, mostly jazz. I am contemplating trying to seal the back shelf area and dropping a good 8" sub where the stock one is presently. If not, I will do the same thing you plan to do with a 10"

My question for Manville is the sub signal from the head unit. In the 5.1 mode this signal is LFE. What is the signal in stereo mode. Is it a sum with a low cutoff?
Old 12-31-2005 | 04:17 PM
2005 WDP TL

Originally Posted by AAP
Well .. the amp rack I envision ... should only loose about 5 inches of vertical space ... since bags could be place on it ... as far as 5 channel amps ... well ... JL and Alpine both make one ... and I can considered both ... depending on price and budget ... I may go 5 channel ... I hope both come out with more powerful versions in 06 ...
The Alpine 5 channel isn't ballsy enough for my tastes.....go with the JL. The JL amp I believe has a seperate sub power supply....Manville may know for sure.
Old 02-02-2011 | 10:26 AM
Racer

Bump for those looking for a TL spectrum analyzer graph and info on Clean Sweep processor....Manville is from the days when JL Audio justed started. Also IASCA champion if I recall correctly.

Last edited by dannyboy10; 02-02-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-02-2011 | 10:46 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

This thread is over half a decade old!
Old 02-02-2011 | 04:37 PM
Racer

FYI

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/jl-ssi-needed-805699/

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/jl-ssi-needed-806080/