Changing out the Tweeters

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 08:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing out the Tweeters

How would I would change out the tweeters in an 05 Acura Tl. I took out the OEM tweeter and disconnected it for now. Do I have to splice the wires and jsut connect my tweeter or is there some important step that I am missing.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That depends. The stock tweeters are 2ohm with a cap. There is no stock crossover. If you are replacing the amp too then it just a matter of splicing the new ones in and connecting them to your crossovers and making them fit the plastic grills. If not, you need to replace them with similar ohm and cap.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:28 AM
Intermediate

I was messing with the inside of my car and decided to take apart the tweeter. I installed one of my Diamond Audio D661s Tweeters to jsut see how it was. The tweeters are 4ohm though. I spliced them in but i hear a crackling noise, and i cant seem to keep the stock wires and the wires from my new tweeter together. I tried electric tape but its not working for me. Any suggestions on why I hear a crackling noise?
Old 07-01-2006, 05:24 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Splice your wires and make sure your new tweeters have a cap. I just checked the back of one of my stock tweeters and it says 4ohms. I have replaced them with some Infinities that fit below the stock grill pretty well with little modification and a few dabs of epoxy. I'm still using the stock system but the new tweets made a big improvement in sound quality.

Icanfly,
The factory tweeter wires are very thin, probably between 24 and 30 gauge. If you splice into these wires, your best bet might be to solder some new extending speaker wire for your new tweeters. The factory tweeter harness only gives you a couple of inches to work with so it's kind of crowded working between the dash and windshield. I rather use soldering instead of crimps because solder never really wiggles loose after time. Plus solder is cheap. If you do solder, you don't have to cut off the factory tweeter plugs. Just carefully cut or score the wire insulation and pull it to one side with strippers or your finger nail to expose the copper wire. Twist your new speaker wire around the exposed copper and hit it with some solder. Tape it off with good 3m tape.
If you don't follow what I'm talking about, let me know and I'll try and get some photos for you.
I'm not sure why your tweeters are crackling. I'd have to hear them. It could be your bad speaker connection, damaged voice coil, damaged cone or some sand or dirt particles on the cone.

Here are some pics of a tweeter mounted to the bottom of the factory grill. The top of the grill is not modified so it still appears stock. I did use a dental pic tool to clear some of the tiny holes in the plastic grill covers so more sound can get through.

The Infinity comes with it's own crossover cap and all of this wiring will fit in the dash.

Old 07-02-2006, 12:43 AM
Intermediate

I didnt really have the cleanest install but I swapped out my tweeters this weekend. For the first time i tried using a soldering gun and it was pretty easy to swap out the tweeters. The sound is a LOT better. All i did was change out the tweeters and the highs and overall sound just seem a lot better. I also ended up doing blue lights under the dash that like turn on with the music. I'll post pics of that if anyone is interested.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:36 PM
Pro

yeah, post some picsl
Old 03-09-2007, 01:20 PM
Instructor

Crook, Hey man - I am doing the whole tweeter upgrade in about 3 days - as soon as my tweeters get here...would you happen to have any pics of how you actually attached the new wires, and did u just cut off the OEM harness plug? Also how do the infinity cross-overs connect- do they come connected already to that red wire you have shown? Any info or pics would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old 03-09-2007, 04:08 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is the definitive thread on how to change out the tweeters:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145316