Cell Phone lost Pairing

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 04:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Cell Phone lost Pairing

I have had a Samsung A870 paird and working on my 06 TL Non-Navi since last summer.

About 3 weeks ago I noticed that the car no longer recognized the phone.

When I go to the menu it sais there is no phones paired.

When I try to pair the phone the HFL just searches and times out but the cell phone can search and find the HFL.

Naturally Acura says its the phone .. which I sent away and no problems found. Samsung says it might be the phone and to send it back ( again ). I have paired another phone with it yet another I tried wouldn't pair. The ph company doesn't to tech support on Bluetooth unless its to one of the ear pieces.

Has anyone else had an issue where the HFL failed in this respect.

I live 4 hours from Acura so a drop in isn't easy.

The service manager went through the steps with me on the phone and even had me unhook the battery cables and join them to drain down the capacitors and that didn't work.

TYIA.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:51 PM
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
I dont like the HFL Bluetooth in the car so I rock the Jawbone
Old 05-29-2008, 09:40 PM
Man of God.....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jesstzn
I have had a Samsung A870 paird and working on my 06 TL Non-Navi since last summer.

When I try to pair the phone the HFL just searches and times out but the cell phone can search and find the HFL.

Naturally Acura says its the phone .. which I sent away and no problems found. Samsung says it might be the phone and to send it back ( again ). I have paired another phone with it yet another I tried wouldn't pair. The ph company doesn't to tech support on Bluetooth unless its to one of the ear pieces.

I live 4 hours from Acura so a drop in isn't easy.

The service manager went through the steps with me on the phone and even had me unhook the battery cables and join them to drain down the capacitors and that didn't work.

TYIA.
Mine also! It's happened "abunch"
Old 05-29-2008, 09:41 PM
Blanka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah this happened a couple times myself...it seemed to "fix" itself tho
Old 05-29-2008, 09:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mamitaxchula
Yeah this happened a couple times myself...it seemed to "fix" itself tho
Problem is .. once it lost the pairing I can't redo it or pair it with any other phone.

If I just had to re-pair it it wouldn't be a big deal.

I have tried everything ... no luck.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:41 PM
A-spec steering wheel ftw

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
yea it's happened to me a few times before, recently no, i basically just gave up on pairing my phonebooks and saving numbers and what not, that way if it does lose the auto-pairing i dont get as aggravated.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:39 PM
06 TL 6MT NAV

Same thing on my 06 w/Nav 6MT

The same thing happened to me a couple of days ago. My Blackberry Curve has been working fine since I purchased it last October 2007. 2 days ago, I pull out of my garage & notice the small phone icon is not lit on the display. Usually, it lights up within seconds of starting the car.

Since then, tried pairing numerous times with no results. The HFL just sits there with "Pair 0000" on the display and nothing happens on the phone and it can't find the HFL either. This is the 4th phone I've used with HFL since I purchased my TL and I've never had any problems before.

Tried to pair my brother's phone & my wife's and they won't pair with HFL either. Yet all phones pair just fine with our bluetooth headsets & my phone pairs just fine with my laptop. Seems it's the HFL that is not furnctioning.

I have an appointment with the dealer on Tuesday. Lets see what they say.

Does anyone know if there is a way to "reset" the HFL, or some sort of soft/hard reboot? Thanks.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by tonyriz
Does anyone know if there is a way to "reset" the HFL, or some sort of soft/hard reboot? Thanks.

Let me know what the dealer says ..

I was told by the dealer to reset the HFL undo the battery terminals for 15 minutes and while they are undone connect them together with a jumper of some sorts to bleed down the capacitors.

Make sure you have the radio code handy .. it will ask for it.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Those HFls suck balls. Lets see....mine lasted......about a week before crapping out. On HFL number 2 in my 08. Thats HOT.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:44 PM
10th Gear

If it doesn't pair to multiple phones, it's probably the unit. Ensure that the phones your trying to pair are approved/compatible.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:15 PM
Intermediate

I have the same problem, my phone was working just fine for the past six months and then my HFL "lost" my connection. It let me attempt to pair but when I try to give the paired phone a name, the HFL hangs up. Same problem with my previous phone (that used to work for over a year).
Old 06-29-2008, 10:20 PM
mrrocan red '07 tl-s

mine just crapped out me also only had the ride 3 months-so who knows if its gonna fix itself or if its gna be a dealer issue-its going in tom.for alignment and 3rd gear issues so.......still love the car but lets hope these "little"things dont keep adding up, ya know
Old 06-30-2008, 08:59 AM
07 TL-S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
it does this to me with my iphone about once a month. i just repair it by saying the same name. its not really a big deal to me i guess...
Old 06-30-2008, 04:15 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Jesstzn

TYIA.
My wife also has a Samsung A870 phone that has given us a lot of grief as the pairing never seems to last very long on her RDX. She has been re-doing the setup every time it quits recognizing it. Sometimes it lasts a month, sometimes a day. When I tried to pair it up to my TL, I couldn't get it to work. My Razr works on both vehicles, so it wasn't the HFL.

She talked to someone at the phone company and they suggested turning off the bluetooth, taking the battery out of the phone, let it sit for a minute and then reinstall the battery and turn on the bluetooth again. She did this a couple of days ago and the car instantly recognized it without having to re-do the setup.

Her warranty is over on her phone, so we're hoping this does the trick. Anyways, it's a lot easier than re-pairing the phone.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:06 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by abox
I have the same problem, my phone was working just fine for the past six months and then my HFL "lost" my connection. It let me attempt to pair but when I try to give the paired phone a name, the HFL hangs up. Same problem with my previous phone (that used to work for over a year).
I had the same problem. My phone lost the pairing one day after working fine for almost two years. When I tried to re-pair, I would get to the last step where it would ask to name the phone and when I tried to do that the HFL would just disconnect. I went to the dealer and they ended up replacing the HFL on my 05 TL under warranty.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:20 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
OK. Here's the deal. I have a Treo 700p. Mine has occasionally unpaired as well. I noticed this happens when my cell battery depletes to the point where I think it disables bluetooth to conserve battery power. This is how I solved it - I deleted the phone from the car - phone setup, delete, yes. Turn car off.

Then, more importantly, I deleted the handsfreelink from the cell phone. Then I removed the battery from the cell phone.

Plug phone battery back in, enable BT, turn car back on, and re-pair both from scratch.

For those that go through the pair processs 95% of the way and then it just drops, I think there's a 'ghost' pairing thats still there fucking with things.

Oh yeah, one other thing, if you turn BT off, do not turn it back on while the phone command prompt is engaged. i.e. you hit the phone button, realize your phone is not paired, then try to turn the phone's BT on before exiting out of the phone command prompt first.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:35 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
well ive been from At&t Tilt, iPhone and now bak 2 a razr and nuttin no problem with mines
Old 07-01-2008, 04:55 PM
Intermediate

Had the same prob. It usually happens at a random time while i'm driving. I usually turn the phone on and off and it fixes itself. It sucks cuz if the tl doesn't recognize the phone and it rings, i can't hear what they're saying till i reset the phone. Whoever calls gets "lost" somewhere in the car.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Up Date ...

Just to lay out some background. I live 4 hours from the dealer and have been on the phone on and off with them for 2 months now trying to eliminate the possibilities. Last weekend I had to make a trip which lead me through the town the dealer is in. They said at that time they would check the pairing proceedure and do diagnostics and then order the part(s) needed do they were in on Wed. when I returned on my way home.

I arrived at the dealer last Friday and they wanted to make sure I wasn't doing it wrong ( even tho I told them I was walkd through the pairing by the service manager from a major dealer in Vancouver). They tried to pair it and it did exactly what I said. Then they wanted to call Acura tech support back east. As it was 4PM here they were closed back east.

So they had to wait till Monday to call. I proceeded on with my trip and Monday they called and said they needed me to stop back in to do some diagnostics. ( Which they didn't do Friday )

This meant stopping in Wed. and THEN they would order the parts. That would mean another 4 hour tip both ways to get the module installed.

I told them it wasn't satisfactory after all the due dilligance I went through to prevent this scenareo. Service manager told me he has to "follow the rules"

I called Acura customer service who told me its up to the dealer. Lots of help.

I called the dealer back and asked to speak to the owner who heard me out and in 10 minutes the service manager called and said the parts will be in for my return trip.

The fix was the HFL module as stated in some of the above threads and took 1/2 hour out the door.

Its something like this that sticks in theback of your mind the next time you look at buying a car out of town.

I bought a VW in the same town and they bent over backwards any time I had a problem.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Intermediate

My Acura repair shop agreed it needed to be fixed. My 2005 also had a couple other recalls/safety issues that had to be fixed for free, so he's ordering all the parts at the same time.