CD (MP3/WMA) folder voice commands

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 12:45 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CD (MP3/WMA) folder voice commands

Does anyone have any luck getting the 'folder list' function to work through voice command? I can say 'CD track list' and I get a list of tracks in the current folder. I can also say 'MP3 track list' and 'WMA track list' - all do the same thing. But when I say 'CD folder list' (which is documented in the manual, page 138) or MP3 folder list or WMA folder list (page 139), I get the same track list rather than a folder list. Once viewing the track list, I can press the small 'folder up' icon at the top left of the screen, but that 'soft button' is for some reason very un-responsive - I have to keep pressing it before it will accept the press. The voice option would be very desirable in this situation.

My MP3/WMA CD is setup with one folder per artist - so maybe 20 top level folders, each containing ~10 tracks.

Also - is there a way to switch between XM radio (last channel listened to) and (eg) CD using voice? While listening to XM radio, I can say 'CD Play' and it will switch to the Disc screen, playing whatever was playing last (great!). But I can't then say 'XM play' to get back to XM screen. I CAN say, 'XM1 preset 2', or 'XM channel 10', etc - but I want to simply revert back to whatever was playing on the XM radio last (without knowing what channel it was). Basically, I want to listen to a particular XM channel, and if a crappy song comes on, switch to CD (which works - 'CD Play'), then 5 minutes later switch back to wherever I was on XM (without knowing the specific channel or preset). I can do this on the cosole by pressing the XM/Aux button - I just need the voice equivalent.

By the way - I had abandoned MP3/WMAs a long time ago in favor of my ipod. I've hooked up my iPod to the 'Aux' input on my '07 TL and it works quite well, but I decided to see how well the WMA setup works. Turns out, I can fit everything I ever want to listen to on less than 6 CDs (my 50 GB iPod is over-filled with music and I can never find anything!). The CDs can sit permanently in the head unit and are essentially 'throw-away'; my iPod, on the other hand, is not something I'm willing to leave in the car so I have to unplug it and re-plug it each drive. I was going to get the Dice iPod adapter so I could have full iPod integration, but ... the g/f is getting hooked on the XM and I don't want to lose the XM text display. With MP3/WMAs, you get full text display of artist, track title, etc.

I compared the WMA/MP3 route to the DVD-A route (following the excellent thread in this forum for burning your own 2-channel DVD-As), but WMA/MP3 seems preferable - you are limited to 99 tracks on the DVD-A, and you don't get track/artist text info; WMA/MP3s get 255 tracks/folders, and display full text info. I've re-ripped my CD collection in WMA variable bitrate mode, and the quality is outstanding.

So if only I could get folder list to work with voice commands!
Old 08-15-2007, 08:43 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I figured out how to toggle between last XM channel and last CD track - I just have to say 'Radio Play' and 'CD play'. I had expected 'Radio Play' to switch to AM or FM, but no, it just goes to the last XM screen used, last channel.

Now I just need to figure out the 'folder list' trick!

FYI, I also tested these voice commands: "CD Folder Scan" - plays first track in each folder. Can't figure out how to stop this by voice command, other than 'CD Track Scan', which will start scanning the tracks within the folder, then a second 'CD Track Scan' stops the scanning and plays whatever. For some reason, a second 'CD Folder Scan' does not seem to toggle the scan action.