CarPC; Fail. Sound system; partial fail. Please Help SOS

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 10:27 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CarPC; Fail. Sound system; partial fail. Please Help SOS

Once upon a time a boy from the Bronx decided to install a car pc on his Acura TL 2006 White Diamond Pearl. He created an awesome picture on his head about the way everything would turn out. He embarqued on the journey of sleeping late to read the various forums related to carpc and audio. His attraction to the project was so strong that he even went late to work several times because of lack of sleep. *Tires squeeling* STOP *breathing increadibly hard, heart out of mouth, held with the teeth* to be continued...

Yesterday I tried to install my carpc and audio system. Spent several hours just extending the stock LCD cables and ac cables. Everything was going great until I started assambling all the components. When I isntalled the touchscreen monitor I realized I had not setup the auto on feature in the touchscreen so I tried to remove the monitor off the bezel but guess what? I hot glue it. I didn't know how to hold in place any other way. In the process of fixing the touchscreen to the bezel I also completly cut the metal housing that held the stock LCD, therefore I couldn't bolt it on smoothly on the dash, however I used the air vents thing and two screws from the radio to temporarily hold it in place. Anyways, after finally removing the touchscreen I turn it on but no picture from the rear view camera, just some straight lines in the middle so hmm what could be wrong I thought? I grabed a RCA cable coming from the tv box in the shop and hooked it up but the same thing and then it hit me, I broke the screen in the process of removing it from the bezel (fuck fuck fuck shit shit shit), took a deep breath and created a picture of me removing $250 off my bank account again, breathed again and I was cool, not really. Now since that was a no go I then followed to install the stock LCD below the radio. After connecting all the cables the screen doesn't show anything, I double check ALL those cables one by one and they are a LOT, but they are all correctly connected so what can be wrong? Hmmm fuze? Yup that's it, a blown 10fuse. I think it blew when I turned the key on with some bare wires (stupid yes I know but hey remind I don't know jack about cars, all I have is YOUR knowledge from what you have posted here, thanks). After replacing the small fuse the stock screen comes on but no back light. After playing with the connectors nothing happens so I removed all the extensions and attached the cables directly but it didn't work. It was 10:20pm and I was really tire so decided to assambled the screen and radio but didn't install the cup holder or glove box or anything related to those areas. I have a date this weekend and I already have a story to tell her when she asks me about the whole thing lol .

Anyways, what could the wrong with the stock lcd? the ac buttons work, it is just the backlight that doesn't turn on. Can I get the touchscreen fix and where?

The sound system sound great, just a tad low and it is because I connected the HU straight to the amps. I have engine noise but it can only be noticed when the radio is below volume 10. Can you recommend me a line driver for voice amp and sub amp?
I took the v12 line straight from reverse to the touchscreen. This is only so it switches to the backup camera when I engage reverse. Is this ok?
Can I power the touchscreen with the cigarette lighter line? Do I just tap the wires and take it directly to the screen?
Old 01-22-2010, 08:12 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Originally Posted by batista08
Once upon a time a boy from the Bronx decided to install a car pc on his Acura TL 2006 White Diamond Pearl. He created an awesome picture on his head about the way everything would turn out. He embarqued on the journey of sleeping late to read the various forums related to carpc and audio. His attraction to the project was so strong that he even went late to work several times because of lack of sleep. *Tires squeeling* STOP *breathing increadibly hard, heart out of mouth, held with the teeth* to be continued...

Yesterday I tried to install my carpc and audio system. Spent several hours just extending the stock LCD cables and ac cables. Everything was going great until I started assambling all the components. When I isntalled the touchscreen monitor I realized I had not setup the auto on feature in the touchscreen so I tried to remove the monitor off the bezel but guess what? I hot glue it. I didn't know how to hold in place any other way. In the process of fixing the touchscreen to the bezel I also completly cut the metal housing that held the stock LCD, therefore I couldn't bolt it on smoothly on the dash, however I used the air vents thing and two screws from the radio to temporarily hold it in place. Anyways, after finally removing the touchscreen I turn it on but no picture from the rear view camera, just some straight lines in the middle so hmm what could be wrong I thought? I grabed a RCA cable coming from the tv box in the shop and hooked it up but the same thing and then it hit me, I broke the screen in the process of removing it from the bezel (fuck fuck fuck shit shit shit), took a deep breath and created a picture of me removing $250 off my bank account again, breathed again and I was cool, not really. Now since that was a no go I then followed to install the stock LCD below the radio. After connecting all the cables the screen doesn't show anything, I double check ALL those cables one by one and they are a LOT, but they are all correctly connected so what can be wrong? Hmmm fuze? Yup that's it, a blown 10fuse. I think it blew when I turned the key on with some bare wires (stupid yes I know but hey remind I don't know jack about cars, all I have is YOUR knowledge from what you have posted here, thanks). After replacing the small fuse the stock screen comes on but no back light. After playing with the connectors nothing happens so I removed all the extensions and attached the cables directly but it didn't work. It was 10:20pm and I was really tire so decided to assambled the screen and radio but didn't install the cup holder or glove box or anything related to those areas. I have a date this weekend and I already have a story to tell her when she asks me about the whole thing lol .

Anyways, what could the wrong with the stock lcd? the ac buttons work, it is just the backlight that doesn't turn on. Can I get the touchscreen fix and where?

The sound system sound great, just a tad low and it is because I connected the HU straight to the amps. I have engine noise but it can only be noticed when the radio is below volume 10. Can you recommend me a line driver for voice amp and sub amp?
I took the v12 line straight from reverse to the touchscreen. This is only so it switches to the backup camera when I engage reverse. Is this ok?
Can I power the touchscreen with the cigarette lighter line? Do I just tap the wires and take it directly to the screen?
I would power the touch screen on the ACC portion of the ignition, so that it only comes on when the ignition is in the ACC position. Could also try the radio.

Now get some sleep!
Old 01-23-2010, 12:19 AM
Instructor

I can't say exactly what's wrong with the backlight of the stock screen, other then the connections which you say are fine. Hopefully nothing happened when those wires were bare.

For the touchscreen, the cleanest way to power it is directly off the PC's power supply and not the cars 12v. Just connect the positive of the screen to a yellow wire in the molex connector, and negative to the black one. Yellow is 12V on a molex connector. Make sure you know which wire on the screen is + and which is -, reversing the polarity here would likely fry the screen.

Some touchscreens (Xenarc for example) have a feature where they will automatically switch to the RCA source when a signal is present. If the LCD you have has this feature, you can power the Camera with the reverse lights. When you put the car in reverse, the camera will get power and a signal will be present to the screen and it will switch automatically. If not, someone else will need to explain how to set that part up.

I wouldn't recommend hot glue for the screen. If it gets really hot out in the summer, the glue can melt and the screen would move. That would be a nuisance to rip apart the whole car to fix. I basically put my screen inside the stock bezel with the metal cover on the back. What I did was stick a small block of wood in between the screen and the metal back to prevent the screen from sliding backwards. This kept it pressed up against the bezel. I'm not sure how everyone else handled this.

Last edited by SLAYER6669; 01-23-2010 at 12:23 AM.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:37 PM
Instructor

I took the monitor apart but there is no visible evidence of cracking on the lcd but it is obviously broken somewhere because it just shows straight lines and no picture. Im going to try to fix the stock lcd, maybe putting leds in the back of it to light it up.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:54 PM
Instructor

I found the solution for the screen. It was a ground issue. The stock lcd makes ground with the frame behind it and since it was moved down below the radio, nothing other than glue is holding it there so what I did I tapped the clock ground and looped it with another ground in the same plug. Now the issue im having is that the auto dim feature does not work. I will try today to ground it to the frame of the car and see how it turns out.

I was able to order a replacement lcd for the touchscreen from mo-co-so for $99.99 and it will be delivered tomorrow.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:45 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
throw the lcd in the space under the center speaker... and keep ur sweet bottom pockets...

or get a navi screen and clock i think there was one on some black market thing cough cough