Car2Pc with 3G TL 04+

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007 | 09:30 PM
"Advance"

Exclamation Car2Pc with 3G TL 04+

I was wondering if you guys tried or use the www.car2pc.com with your original HeadUnit and or W/O XM.

There must be a way to make this thing work for us.
Old 05-31-2007 | 12:27 AM
Safety Car

From that website, its an audio interface that will allow you to control the PC through audio controls, but unfortunately the 3G TL is not supported.
Old 05-31-2007 | 07:58 AM
"Advance"

Talking

I don't know if it was updated while I was writing the post, but I found the the HON1 Model would work in our 3G.

Here's the link : car2pc brochure HON1

what do you guys think?
Old 05-31-2007 | 08:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Looks good. I think some of the carpc guys at mp3car.com are using it. Good for audio control but a carpc is used for many other things, navi, rear view camera, DVD, etc that require some sort of control/monitor from a touch screen. I have more than 8 play lists on mine and run navi all the time.

But .......it would be nice to use the steering wheel controls to move from song to song. I may look into it.

Thanks
Old 05-31-2007 | 09:14 AM
"Advance"

Yep, for sure im gonna put a touch screen in the front. Im just searchin for something that could let me use my bluetooth and my steering wheel buttons with my winamp or MediaPlayer. Seems like with car2pc it's make all that happen.

I just need to be sure cause a CarPc needs alot of little parts an I don't want to spend money on something that wouldn't work.

If somebody knows something..feel free to post or PM!
Old 05-31-2007 | 11:22 AM
Damn Right, Ima G!

Hey guys can someone please let me know what this is because i keep reading about this on the website and still dont understand the concept of this. How does my playlist get into Car2pc, Also i have the nav2tv would i also be able to connect the audio control to the Car2pc?
Old 05-31-2007 | 01:42 PM
"Advance"

Originally Posted by Psycho
Hey guys can someone please let me know what this is because i keep reading about this on the website and still dont understand the concept of this. How does my playlist get into Car2pc, Also i have the nav2tv would i also be able to connect the audio control to the Car2pc?
Im not really sure if you could use it with Nav. But You know what guys, best way for me to know if it's workin, its to try it so I just ordered the right module for my 04 TL and hope it will works well....waitin for some answers from car2pc but pretty sure its gonna work just fine.

Also the model I order comes with a Aux for the Ipod or Mp3 player!!!

I'll let you guys know if it's working or not!!! (couple of weeks)
Old 05-31-2007 | 02:46 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Psycho
Here is my guess: the Car2PC is an audio interface so it basically works like the other interfaces (USA Spec, Blitzsafe, PIE, etc): it plugs into the CDC plug at the back of the headunit. What is different is its USB connection. There is most likely a USB cable coming from the module that connects to your car PC.

So, audio is through CDC connection with headunit, controls is through USB with car PC. Dom TVandNav2Go will provide the video for your car PC. There is nothing yet about touchscreen, but hopefully csmeance can remedy that for you in the near future with his module.

Just a guess.
Old 05-31-2007 | 03:35 PM
Instructor

I've always been somewhat confused with their website and compatibility list. I was originally supposed to be a beta tester for the HON1 but in the end they ended up saying that it wasn't compatible with our car. Ask in their forum if anyone has tried it on a 04 TL.
Old 05-31-2007 | 03:48 PM
Instructor

Ok their compatibility list doesn't list the Acura TL 04+ BUT in the installation instructions it doe. Go figure. If you get one please let us know if it actually works or not. Using the steering wheel buttons is the last piece missing on my setup.

compatibility list:
http://www.car2pc.com/compatibility_full.html#acura

install pdf:
http://indashpc.org/downloads/docs/H...structions.pdf
Old 07-01-2007 | 07:12 PM
Instructor

FYI - I tried installing the car2pc adapter this weekend but couldn't get it working.

The HU and carpc both detect the adapter, so it may just be a programming issue. I'll contact jbors and see if there's a quick fix.

I did it get to work as just an aux input temporarily, but the sound quality wasn't that good either. It was really low and was picking up a lot of noise. So I'm not sure if the results will be that good.

Has anyone else tried this out yet?
Old 07-01-2007 | 09:28 PM
Instructor

With my setup, I used a processor (Alpine H701) to feed my aftermarket amps. One input on the processor is TOSLINK from my carpc, another input is analog from the stock head unit via a line output converter. That way, I maintain stock functionality plus have all that carPC has to offer in terms of sound quality and functionality. I can even listen to the stock head unit this way, but I only maintain a front sound stage. The processor controller is located where the cupholder used to be, I cut off the cup holder around the top edge and glassed in an enclosure. Relocated the stock AC/radio display to the storage bin area just like moadhib and King of Pain, but fabbed a bezel for it using plexiglass and a bumper repair kit.
Old 07-09-2007 | 10:19 PM
"Advance"

Originally Posted by Hi There
With my setup, I used a processor (Alpine H701) to feed my aftermarket amps. One input on the processor is TOSLINK from my carpc, another input is analog from the stock head unit via a line output converter. That way, I maintain stock functionality plus have all that carPC has to offer in terms of sound quality and functionality. I can even listen to the stock head unit this way, but I only maintain a front sound stage. The processor controller is located where the cupholder used to be, I cut off the cup holder around the top edge and glassed in an enclosure. Relocated the stock AC/radio display to the storage bin area just like moadhib and King of Pain, but fabbed a bezel for it using plexiglass and a bumper repair kit.
Seems nice, I would really like to have some details about this setup! When you'll have a sec. just PM or post links. Thanks!
Old 07-10-2007 | 09:58 AM
Instructor

An update on the car2pc adapter:

We got reports that Navi does not work as expected with our device and we're
fixing it now,
Dmitry
Maybe the non-navi carpc folks will have better luck, but it doesn't work with the NAVI at the moment. Its detected, but it causes the headunit to freeze up. It should just be a programming change, and I've sent jbors some debug logs to help him out.

I wanted to wrap up my install, so I went ahead and finished the ipod adapter hack I was working on. The radio and steering wheel buttons are mapped to road runner so I can change tracks, and when I flip the toggle switch to use my carpc on the navi touchscreen, the audio also automatically switches to CDC for my carpc.
Old 07-10-2007 | 10:48 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Ok... isn't the whole point of this adapter to use the factory navi screen as a touch screen control device for a carpc? How would the non-navi carpc users have better luck with this device? If they don't have the factory nav screen they won't need to use this.. o_O

While i'm on this topic though.. theoretically:
- You put the HU into CD Changer Mode - this activates the car2pc unit and allows touch control of your car2pc
- You would then have to use something like doms switcher to change the video feed to the carp2c, right?

Then you'd have a fully functional carpc w/o doing major modifications or changing screens, etc.
Old 07-10-2007 | 12:03 PM
"Advance"

Arrow

Originally Posted by Timmahh
Ok... isn't the whole point of this adapter to use the factory navi screen as a touch screen control device for a carpc? How would the non-navi carpc users have better luck with this device? If they don't have the factory nav screen they won't need to use this.. o_O

While i'm on this topic though.. theoretically:
- You put the HU into CD Changer Mode - this activates the car2pc unit and allows touch control of your car2pc
- You would then have to use something like doms switcher to change the video feed to the carp2c, right?

Then you'd have a fully functional carpc w/o doing major modifications or changing screens, etc.
Since I have the Non-Navi, im not conserned about the doms switcher. But this could be a good alternative options for thos who have it....For myself.. Im just gonna put a Xenarc touchscreen to control my carpc at anytime. The CAR2PC module will only do the sound transfert as my carpc was a CDC.

I heard that the sound wasn't really good, I'll post some details when I'll get to install it. For now Im in the relocating of the stock LCD Display, waiting for some connectors and a bezel.
Old 07-10-2007 | 12:47 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Timmahh
Wrong. The car2pc adapter give you an aux input and lets you use the headunit buttons (next track, previous track, disc 1, disc 2, etc) to control your computer. When you hook it up, the headunit thinks a CDC (cd changer) is attached. It will redirect all headunit button presses to the carputer. Specifically, it includes plugins for winamp and windows media player, to change songs or playlists when you press the radio buttons. It doesn't do anything with the navi or touchscreen. Check out their website for mp3car for more details. I think he has a video posted of it working.

To use the navi screen for video and touchscreen, you'll still need to follow met's carpc install.

Originally Posted by VmtSquad
I heard that the sound wasn't really good
This part I was able to test. If you don't use the usb cable, the adapter will still work as a standard AUX input with the headunit set to CDC. The volume was very low even though I had the volume maxed out in the windows mixer and winamp. Others have complained about this too. Its significantly lower than my USA Spec's iPod adapter's aux input.

This by itself is a not big deal. But the other problem I had was noise getting into the signal (mainly static and some crackling), and since the audio volume is low to begin with, it makes it hard to drown out. But if you play with the placement of the adapter and/or wiring, you can probably get rid of most of it. Or it might be a grounding issue. I didn't play with it too much, since I couldn't get the buttons working.
Old 08-11-2007 | 05:24 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by tejesh83
Wrong. The car2pc adapter give you an aux input and lets you use the headunit buttons (next track, previous track, disc 1, disc 2, etc) to control your computer. When you hook it up, the headunit thinks a CDC (cd changer) is attached. It will redirect all headunit button presses to the carputer. Specifically, it includes plugins for winamp and windows media player, to change songs or playlists when you press the radio buttons. It doesn't do anything with the navi or touchscreen. Check out their website for mp3car for more details. I think he has a video posted of it working.

To use the navi screen for video and touchscreen, you'll still need to follow met's carpc install.

This part I was able to test. If you don't use the usb cable, the adapter will still work as a standard AUX input with the headunit set to CDC. The volume was very low even though I had the volume maxed out in the windows mixer and winamp. Others have complained about this too. Its significantly lower than my USA Spec's iPod adapter's aux input.

This by itself is a not big deal. But the other problem I had was noise getting into the signal (mainly static and some crackling), and since the audio volume is low to begin with, it makes it hard to drown out. But if you play with the placement of the adapter and/or wiring, you can probably get rid of most of it. Or it might be a grounding issue. I didn't play with it too much, since I couldn't get the buttons working.

The guys at car2pc still haven't able to get a fix on the issue with navi can't switch to CD-C. You are wrong on the sound quality, I have it hooked to my pc at the trunk and it sounds as good as the CD player itself...no noise, no cracking. The only wish I have is to get the issue fixed with navi asap since I want to wrap up my project.
Old 05-30-2008 | 06:05 PM
"Advance"

Hey guys!

One year later, here I am with my carPC installed and I had the chance to test the Car2Pc device.

Well first, it was working flawless (even without the driver installed) the sound quality was not bad for a first try.

When I turned off the car to simulate a real life situation and turned it back ON, I LOST the CD PLAYER DISPLAY!!! WTF ? I had the sound from AM-FM-CDPLAYEr but couldnt change to CDC anymore (car2pc). I decided to unplugged it and my display went back alive.

I was wondering if any of you guys had the chance to work with Car2Pc device and had some trouble like I do!! THANKS!

Vmt