Can't setup bluetooth....voice commands don't seem to register

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 07:58 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't setup bluetooth....voice commands don't seem to register

I just picked up an 08 Type S and I'm trying to get acuralink setup. It seems the only way that can be done is through voice commands. The initial command is supposed to be "phone setup". So I click the voice command button and say phone setup and I'm returned with either a "please repeat" or "pardon?" I've tried to slow down my speech and talk as clear as possible while putting my head in all sorts of positions around the cabin. This has all be done during a completely quite idle. I get the same result regardless of all of this.

Any ideas?

Also I'm a bit of a techy so if there is one thing I want to do to the vehicle it's get some kind of true interface for my android phone. What I would really like is something that could almost use the nav screen as a secondary screen for my phone. I imagine if this exist it might mean the whole screen and unit has to be replaced which I'm fine with. However I'm hesitant to lose stock features like the rear backup camera and the handsfree phone controls. I think a device that could do all this is nothing short of a pipe dream but do you guys have any ideas for the closest solution?

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2016, 08:20 PM
3rd Gear

Forgive me if any of this sounds noobish....because it is. I'm pretty unfamiliar with AV work with cars, and anything outside of very general car mechanics for that matter.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:07 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by 0ut1awed
So I click the voice command button and say phone setup and I'm returned with either a "please repeat" or "pardon?"
Any ideas?
You mentioned "phone setup" and "voice command"-- there are separate controls for each.
The phone buttons face up on the steering wheel towards the driver; the buttons are pressed down to set up the HFL/Bluetooth and use a phone.
The voice command buttons are mounted just behind the phone buttons and face down towards the dash; the voice command buttons are pulled towards the driver to activate commands for the navi, radio and climate control-- they don't connect to the phone system.

The next time you use the buttons, say " temperature 73 degrees." If the A/C changes, you aren' t using the phone buttons. ☺
Old 03-22-2016, 07:58 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Will Y.
You mentioned "phone setup" and "voice command"-- there are separate controls for each.
The phone buttons face up on the steering wheel towards the driver; the buttons are pressed down to set up the HFL/Bluetooth and use a phone.
The voice command buttons are mounted just behind the phone buttons and face down towards the dash; the voice command buttons are pulled towards the driver to activate commands for the navi, radio and climate control-- they don't connect to the phone system.
It sounds like you're talking about the actual hands free buttons right above the voice navigation? Because clicking either one of these does absolutely nothing.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:05 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Something people haven't mentioned is that the HFL modules in the 3G TL tend to fail under extreme heat. It could have a failed module. You may be able to fix it cheap with a capacitor.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:34 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by 0ut1awed
It sounds like you're talking about the actual hands free buttons right above the voice navigation? Because clicking either one of these does absolutely nothing.
Yes-- the HFL buttons are separate from the Voice Command buttons and are used for phone calls only.

If pushing the hands-free link (HFL) buttons does nothing and the MID display shows "booting up" for HFL status, that means the HFL/Bluetooth is not working and phones cannot be linked.
Cheapest solution to that: remove the HFL unit and mail it to Godin Technologies for a $45 fix.
Another choice is to buy a new HFL unit from one of our dealer-vendors for @ $200 to replace the bad unit.

FYI, Voice Command uses the mic in the HFL unit, so you'll lose voice commands if you unplug or remove the HFL.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:25 PM
3rd Gear

I just replaced the Hfl in my 08 TL with a new unit but after saying "phone setup", the system just beeps. The "Hand free link" display says "No information". Is there something I am missing? I have reset the connector several times.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:09 PM
3rd Gear

False alarm. I didn't realize that the connectors in the overhead light panel needed to inserted for the Hfl to register. Once I did that the microphone was available and it worked perfectly.