Bluetooth Portion of HFL Dead

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 04:23 PM
Over Caffeinated

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Bluetooth Portion of HFL Dead

The Navi, radio and climate control portions of my HFL work OK. However, the Bluetooth does not. The MID displays "booting up".

I took the car into the dealer for the power steering hose recall and asked them to check out the HFL. As I suspected, they say it's dead and replacement is like $606. Unfortunately that kind of money is not in my budget.

I'm trying to confirm that it's the HFL module that 'lives' in the overhead console that's bad. I've actually pulled that out and inspected it for burned components or bad solder joints... didn't spot anything. Interesting thing is the Bluetooth HFL will work exactly once after removing power from the unit... hmmm... maybe I should rewire it to pick up power from the mirror.

Here's a picture of the module - actually the cover. The module itself is composed of two circuit cards.

I cannot seem to find this part number online. 83251-sep* will get you close - to the interior light module which is where this module lives (I think of it as the overhead console).

Thoughts on where I could possibly obtain this module other than from a dealer? Obviously I'm looking to spend a LOT less than $600. Removing/replacing the module would take maybe 15 minutes. Anyone parting out a wrecked TL??

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, advice, etc.

Steve
Old 08-29-2008, 08:11 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Out of warranty?
If so, by how much?

The reason is that you might get a goodwill repair or factory assistance (partial cost) if your TL is just barely out of warranty. You might want to talk to the service manager about this.

Example: My dad's Camry fell out of warranty after 3 years, but the car had less than 36K miles on it when the power steering pump cracked for no apparent reason. The dealer's service manager called Toyota, and Toyota paid the full replacement cost a day after asking a couple of questions.

If your TL is still under warranty, get the he** off the computer, neatly replace the HFL module and to the dealer now!

G/L!
Old 08-30-2008, 10:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
My 06 had the module replaced as it wouldn't pair with anything after a year .. its not an uncommon problem .. I'd call Acura customer support.

You might have a problem tho as the first thing they asked me is if there is electronics added to the car.. or alterations.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:23 AM
Over Caffeinated

Thanks all. The car is clearly out of warranty mileage-wise - 85,000. At least in theory, and it took long enough to get a response so I'm fairly sure they did, the service advisor spoke with the area factory rep for any goodwill consideration. The response as given to me was Acura will have no consideration as this is a convenience item, not a safety-item (I guess that could be more effectively argued in states that require hands-free for telephone use while driving, but Florida is not there yet).

Maybe I'll try to pursue with Acura customer service at the national level. Really an electronic module that is not exposed to a bad environment should not fail after 3 years.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Steve
Old 08-30-2008, 07:21 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by sr1sws
...Maybe I'll try to pursue with Acura customer service at the national level. Really an electronic module that is not exposed to a bad environment should not fail after 3 years.
Yes, you should pursue it with ACS, particularly if your car is within the warranty period timewise (48 mos.) because the HFL is not a "wear" item. If the integrated HFL was a reason to get the TL instead of some other brands' cars, that might be a consideration for ACS to determine whether to cover all or part of the HFL cost.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:31 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My HFL just died at 53k miles (2004 TL). Luckily I purchased the extended warranty and it was covered with a small deductible. Otherwise, it would have been very expensive. Pays to buy the warranty if you plan on keeping the car. Everything else in the car worked, the bluetooth connection was just completely dead. It was a very quick fix once Acura had the car - was in and out in a half hour. Said they changed the HFL "brain". Works perfectly now and relied upon frequently which I why I had it replaced.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:17 AM
Over Caffeinated

Thanks. I know there is a TSB (05-020) out for HFL modules manufactured before 8/18/04. I suspect that applied to yours. Mine does not fit that criteria, so I cannot leverage that.

Glad to hear it stayed fixed once repaired ;-)

Steve