Blackberry 8100 Pearl

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 06:35 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Blackberry 8100 Pearl

Just thought I would let everyone know that it works great with our car. It shows both battery and signal strenght. Voice quality is good also. Very nice phone. If you don't like the sure type keyboard I heard that they will be releasing a full keyboard version as well in a couple months. Hope this helps you guys.

I just had to get rid of that crapy MDA!!!!!!
Old 09-13-2006, 07:19 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you had any of the audio quality problems with just the phone? Cnet's review wasn't too kind. Also, apparently people are complaining that the phone does not ring in your pocket, because the trackball gets moved around in your pocket. Any comments?
Old 09-13-2006, 07:27 AM
Instructor

There's is a fairly long thread in the electronics section that lists compliant phones. You may want to add this there.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:14 PM
Instructor

To tell you the truth I haven't had any issues with the phone yet. I haven't had anyone say anything about the phone quality while talking on the phone in the car. My phone rings and vibrate while it's in my pocket as well. I don't wear nut huggers either so I haven't had any problems with the trackball. Over all I am very happy with the phone. I can again anwer a second call in the car and not have it go to the phone to have to transfer it back to the HFL. Just my .02 worth.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:21 AM
2nd Gear

Blackberry 8100 (Pearl)

What model TL do you have? I had a BB 7100 that worked fine with my 2004 TL but had poor success with the 8100. I could get them to pair but had problems getting the phone and the car to pair. Bummer.

Did you have to do anything special?
Old 09-26-2006, 03:11 AM
Instructor

04 TL with Navi. Didn't do anything special at all. Works right out of the box
Old 09-26-2006, 11:34 AM
Eat PHO!

My brother got the Pearl this week and I tested it in my 06 TL. The pairing was easy, signal and battery was display, and able to send/received calls which was clear. This was only a 10 minuted test tho.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:54 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Got my HFL upgraded in my 04 TL (see other posts) and got swapped my 7100 for the Pearl and it paired without any hitches whatsoever. Pearl works great with HFL. The upgraded HFL in the 04 TL is a HUGE improvement for voice recognition!
Old 09-29-2006, 01:45 AM
2nd Gear

i work for tmobile and we have sold a lot of those little blackberries. I use the big one 8700 and i love it and also drive a TL. I have no problems with the audio. Just to let you guys know before 8100 was released a couple of guys at the store took the pearl as demos and the 8700 has way better reception then the pearl. I really like the way it looks but it a whole lot of phone for that little device. I also heard from a good source that we will get a new blackberry around christmas with a full keyboard, camera and mp3.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:53 PM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

So how do you pair the two? I have a Cingular BlackBerry Pearl and I can't get my 04' TL to pair with it...what steps are you using?
Old 02-11-2007, 02:05 PM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
I have a Cingular BlackBerry Pearl and an '06 TL and I had no problems with pairing my phone...

I love my BlackBerry, the only complaints that I would have to say that I have it that it doesn't vibrate or ring strong enough, and that it doesn't vibrate and ring at the same time. I came from a Sony Ericsson w600i, which had a very strong ringer, so I tend to miss calls from time to time with the Pearl. Other than that I haven't had any problems with it.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:08 PM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisMc73
So how do you pair the two? I have a Cingular BlackBerry Pearl and I can't get my 04' TL to pair with it...what steps are you using?
Oh, and I just used the steps in the mini handbook thing... I forgot what it's called, and to get the phone ready to pair with the car you have to go to "Set Up Bluetooth" and it should search for the car, if it doesn't automatically search for new devices, press the menu button then press "Add Device" and select the "HandsFeeLink TM"

At least that's what I had to do to connect with my car.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:13 PM
6th Gear

Problem pairing Blackberry Pearl

Hello,
I have a '05 TL. I am unable to get the Blackberry Pearl to pair with HandsFreeLink. HFL will go through the pairing process all the way to the end where it asks you for a name for the paired phone. When I provide a name, it just exits to the main menu, and the phone tells me that the connection with HandsFreeLink was lost.
I know this phone is not yet officially supported - I just wanted to give it a try. It is such a better device, in my opinion, than the 8700.

Has anyone successfully paired and used the Blackberry Pearl with HFL? Please let me know if you had to do anything special.
Thanks!
Old 02-12-2007, 07:06 PM
6th Gear

Blackberry Pearl 8100 pairing problem - solved

I attempted the pairing again today, and it worked fine. The phone is working with the car now. The only difference I can tell is that, when I was initially having issues, that was just after I had deleted my existing phone. When I tried it the first time, I started the car, went into the HFL main menu, and deleted my existing phone. I then tried to pair the Blackberry Pearl several times, with the same unsuccessful result as explained below. I gave up after about 4-5 tries. This morning, I started the car, and went straight to the pairing process. It worked without error the first time.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:40 AM
Intermediate

Im having problems as well with pairing my Blackberry Pearl

Whats up guys, well Im having the same problem. I just moved up from an
03 TL-S to an 05 TL with Navi and all that good stuff. I've been trying to pair my BB Pearl to the car but its just wont do it!! The pairing process goes thru all the steps, both the car and the phne find each other but when I get to the naming step, I give it a name and the damn thing just beep once and goes back to the menu. On my phone it will say signal lost.

I have done a system clear and done a soft reset on my phone. Still nothing. I tried to explain this to the HandsFree Link reps and the Acura serv. guys but they keep telling me that the phone is not compatible. I've told them about this site and told them that I have ran across some people with BB Pearls and the phone is paired up fine. So hmm what do I do? Just keep trying to pair it?
Old 02-16-2007, 10:46 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by deejayceas
Whats up guys, well Im having the same problem. I just moved up from an
03 TL-S to an 05 TL with Navi and all that good stuff. I've been trying to pair my BB Pearl to the car but its just wont do it!! The pairing process goes thru all the steps, both the car and the phne find each other but when I get to the naming step, I give it a name and the damn thing just beep once and goes back to the menu. On my phone it will say signal lost.

I have done a system clear and done a soft reset on my phone. Still nothing. I tried to explain this to the HandsFree Link reps and the Acura serv. guys but they keep telling me that the phone is not compatible. I've told them about this site and told them that I have ran across some people with BB Pearls and the phone is paired up fine. So hmm what do I do? Just keep trying to pair it?
Only certain phones work, check out approved phones, there is a list, but I forgot the link, sorry.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:14 PM
Instructor

I had the same problem when I went to pair up my new KRZR K1. It would drop when I went to give it a name.

Answer: use a shorter name.

I don't know what it is thinking, maybe that "BLACKBERRY" is two words and it doesn't like it, but when I said "CRAZER K1" it dropped, but when I said "CRAZER" it was happy.

Try it and see what happens.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:29 PM
6th Gear

One thing to try is to make sure you're running the most recent release of software for the BB Pearl. If you are with TMobile, you should be running version 4.2.0.64. If not, download this from TMobile's web site. My phone was already running this version, so I did not have to upgrade. Additionally, if you want to use a 2G microSD card, you need this version of the software.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:41 PM
8th Gear

Hello all,
I have been having some issues with my Pearl. First off, my Pearl paired fine the first time with my '05 TL. Now what is happening is when I leave the car and my phone disconnects from the Bluetooth settings the volume/alerts are silent. Is anyone else experiencing this? And if so, has anyone figured out what is wrong with it? Is it either the phone or the bluetooth setting in the TL.

My opinion is that it is the phone, but then again I could be wrong. This only started happening a few weeks ago, before that it would work great.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:44 AM
10th Gear

I have a Pearl and an 07 TL-S. The pairing worked fine. Initially I had a problem when I'd get in and out of my car and the blue tooth wouldn't connect / disconnect properly, but somehow that problem nearly disappeared. Its only happened like twice in the last few months.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:50 PM
JGL
9th Gear

2004 TL...my pearl will pair for a few seconds, drop, then repair for a few seconds drop again, cycle continues...I've given up.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:46 PM
10th Gear

Transfer Bluetooth

Does anyone know how to...

If you're in the car and the bluetooth is connected to the car... then dial a number on your cell phone and transfer it to the hands free link. I've heard there is a way to do that reverse transfer, but not sure how. any help is appreciated.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:21 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
^ With the voice command "Transfer."
Old 02-24-2007, 06:57 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by JGL
2004 TL...my pearl will pair for a few seconds, drop, then repair for a few seconds drop again, cycle continues...I've given up.

Had the same problem. I exchanged the phone. Works now. Error with the phone. Not the car.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:54 PM
10th Gear

With the voice command "Transfer."

That doesn't work for me when transfering a call from my cell to my car using bluetooth. The voice transfer only works from car to phone.

Anybody else have any thoughts?
Old 02-26-2007, 02:13 PM
Advanced

I have the Pearl and it works like a charm but not until the HFL was replace in my '04 TL to the new one. Transfer works both ways between the phone and the car.

Only problem that happens every now and then is that they need to find a way so that I can speak while the car types in my email responses!
Old 03-25-2007, 03:59 PM
Intermediate

Anyone else having issues with the BB Pearl???

I just got a new BB Pearl with T-mobile. I'm able to pair the Pearl just fine, but it keeps establishing connection with the HFL and then it looses it, like if I was out or range. It'll say bluetooth connections established, and the phone icon will pop up on the temperature display, and then maybe 5 seconds later it will loose connection. This happens the whole time, as if the bluetooth signal is very weak.

I know its not my the HFL because every other bluetooth phone i have works fine. I can sometimes be 50 ft away and my car picks it up. I also upgraded the HFL, as soon as I heard the 04 TL's had issues.

Any Tmobile pearl owners have this problem?

Thanks
Old 03-26-2007, 11:25 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 TL w/nav, my experiences with BB Pearl (clit)

The BB pearl is a really cool phone, for those of you who feel the buttons get pressed accidentally there is a button on the side you can assign to locking the phone. Always lock this phone unless you want to accidentally call your girlfriend for 20 minutes!! (actually happened). Anyway with the 2006 it pairs perfectly and displays battery and singal strength. Since i have cingular, I occasionally get that interference that all Cingular people know about.. The loud buzzing and ticking, just dont put it in the compartment under the radio if you got one. Sometimes when it's connected i'll make a call and the person wont here me and i'll have to transfer back. Personally I feel the HFL is buggy and the Bluetooth quality sounds like AM RADIO. On the flip side it's great when you doing 90mph on the garden state parkway and you dont want to crash...
Old 04-07-2007, 04:08 PM
10th Gear

BB Pearl Connections issues

Originally Posted by JGL
Same here any solutions besides getting a new phone?
Old 04-08-2007, 09:33 AM
JGL
9th Gear

Friend of mine has pearl, we did test, his paired just fine.

I called T-Mobile did a warranty exchange, long story short the new replacement works great with TL so must have been had Pearl.

Go ahead and get a warranty exchange !!
Old 04-09-2007, 12:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
I read somewhere that someone mentioned that the "Transfer" command is phone specific.

On my SonyEricsson S710a, it works both ways.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:16 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You know, I just got a blackbery pearl (verizon), and I had problems pairing it with my 05 TL. I tried like 5 times...as soon as it almost finished pairing, it disconnected and the HandsFreeLink system exited out.

First thing I did was come to this site, spent 2-3 minutes searching and found this thread. I took the advice, downloaded the blackberry updates (thanks subramsa), now it pairs just fine!

Acurazine to the rescue again. Thanks guys...!