Best way to convert DVD-V to DVD-A or DTS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 04:41 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
Best way to convert DVD-V to DVD-A or DTS?

Okay I got several of the Sony DualDiscs, that have the DVD-V side
that won't play in our decks.

What is the best way to convert the audio to a Surround Disk for our
Acura's..

Is it best to convert to a DVD-Audio disk or a CD-DTS disk?

So far I have done the following...

1. Use DVDDecrypter to rip the Ac3 audio to the hard drive
2. Split the AC3 file into seperate tracks.
3. Converted the AC3 tracks into seperate .wav files
4. Merged the .wav files into a DTS file..
5. Ran Discwelder, but it shows that my DTS file is only 2 channel??

I can't get Discwelder to take the AC3 Tracks straight in.

Help!
Old 03-01-2005, 06:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Making DTS CDs

Originally Posted by wakattack
4. Merged the .wav files into a DTS file..
5. Ran Discwelder, but it shows that my DTS file is only 2 channel??
Help!
Don't worry, a DTS stream for CD is enclosed in a standard 2 channel .wav or .aif file. It will decode properly into 5.1. ric
Old 03-01-2005, 06:48 PM
Racer

So is that the only way to convert to a DVD-Audio disk from DVD-Video disk?

Does Discwelder leave that as DTS on the DVD-A disk? Or does it convert
it again to the DVD-A format?

I guess what I am trying to figure out, is it worth it to burn it to a DVD-A

or are you just as well burning DTS to a CD-R?
Old 03-01-2005, 07:14 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Steps 1-3 seem to be correct.

However, keep those separate wave files and import them into DiscWelder bronze one by one, making note of the channels so you map them correctly. That's how you should be converting the DVD-V audio into a 5.1 DVD-A stream.

DVD-A players will NOT play DTS-encoded wave files.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:15 PM
Racer

Awesome!! Thanks Lore..

Going to do several DualDiscs and a bunch of THX intro's tonight.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:06 AM
Computer Techie Geek

3. Converted the AC3 tracks into seperate .wav files
I am pretty much in the same boat. as you wakattack. I have dozens of music video DVDs (indian) that have awesome 5.1 surround sound.

the only problem here is that this process seems toooo tedious.

Each of my DVDs has like 60 songs. I can easily rip each song as a separate VOB file, then extract the AC3 out of it using DVD2AVI (www.doom9.org)

So far, extracting 60 vobs to 60 files is ok as DVDDecrypter has an option to split differnet chapters in different files

Now comes making 60 AC3 files, I have done like 3 (one by one) but yes if i play with the command line of DVD2AVI I can get the 60 file rip in a LOOP so ok I can solve that.

Now comes the PIA part, take each eac3 and split to 5 channels ... NOOOOOOOOOOOO... thats a lot of work and on top of it disc welder (which i still dont have) has a tedious way to put each of the file one by one .. NO NO and NO i am not willing to do that much work

Does any of you have a better way ... anyone familiar with http://www.ulead.com/bn/runme.htm

does this program make it any easier ? I read the manual, did not seem like it but hey I might have missed something
Old 03-02-2005, 10:42 AM
Racer

Well ideally if you can use the expensive stuff.

BeSweet take the AC3 files, convert them to 5.1 surround waves, and then
push them thru to SureDTS and spits out a DTS wave file on the other side.

You can feed it a whole disc at a time or rather a whole set of AC3 files.. Of course this is only good for making
5.1 DTS CDs which sound awesome BTW!

The only problem I ran into is I have an old version of Sure and it didn't integrate into BeSweet properly.

If you lived near by, I could do it for you. Heck if I perfect it, I may do it peeps, for say a $1 or $2 per disc.

Thanks to Lore's help, I made some great DTS-Cd's I didn't totally see the need at the moment for moving the audio to DVD-A, as my source files just weren't that large. Around 30 meg per file. Seems like it would have been a lot of wasted space on the DVD-A?
Old 03-02-2005, 01:42 PM
Computer Techie Geek

regarding the size of DTS Cds. I took an AC3 and used HeadAC3he 0.23a from
http://www.doom9.org/software.htm#audio

but the output wav was like 200 mb, so in essence I would only be able to put like 2 - 3 songs on one CD, so I gave up that idea.

Oh yeah the SureDTS is wayyy to expensive
Old 03-02-2005, 02:12 PM
2015 Advance

Has anyone tried DVD Audio Extractor to rip the 5.1 tracks on a video DVD and then encode them with DiscWelder?

I ran DVD Audio Extractor on Peter Gabriel's SecretWorld Live DVD... It split the tracks into separate files with 6 separate files per track (one for each channel). It was really easy to do that.

It sounds like my next step is to use Discwelder to create the DVD-A. Is that right?

-Eric
Old 03-02-2005, 03:41 PM
Racer

Yes, you have two choices..

You can convert to DTS encoded .wav files for a DTS surround CD

or go into DiscWelder and put the files together for a DVD-A
Old 03-02-2005, 03:46 PM
Advanced

WOW. You guys are speaking a foreign language to me. Way too much techno-babble. I would love to be able to turn my concert dvds into dvd-a or dts or whatever to play on the tl. What software and or knowledge of computers do i need to get started?
Old 03-02-2005, 04:44 PM
Computer Techie Geek

Originally Posted by rochester_eric
Has anyone tried DVD Audio Extractor to rip the 5.1 tracks on a video DVD and then encode them with DiscWelder?

-Eric
Eric: I think you probably solved half my battle. I will try this tonight, atleast by making the DTS CD ...
Old 03-02-2005, 09:19 PM
2015 Advance

But for the TL you want a DVD-A right? Not DTS.

Does Discwelder come in a demo that works? I don't want to plunk down $100 for something that won't convert the files from DVD Audio Extractor.

-Eric
Old 03-02-2005, 10:36 PM
2015 Advance

I decided to bite the bullet and purchase Discwelder.

Of course there's good news and bad news.

The good news is that you can get it for $85 from http://www.digitalproaudio.com Some more good news is that you can get an additional 10% discount by using promo code dps10

The bad news is that they charge sales tax for NY (they are in CA) and I decided to get FedEx Ground shipping, so it probably won't be here for 5 days or so.

-Eric
Old 03-03-2005, 07:53 AM
Computer Techie Geek

thanks for the discount info Eric.

not back to the subject of taking a DVD-V and making either DTS CD or DVD-A

I downloaded DVD Audio Extractor (http://www.castudio.org/dvdaudioextractor/index.htm)
got as far as extracting to 6 channel WAV files as single files (not separate just cos that’s useful when I get disc welder)

I now take these WAV file to NERO Audio CD compilation and it says WAV is invalid. Any ideas ?? Most of my google research found that once you have these 6 Channel WAVS just Burn them using any CD bruning program. But I dont think thats working here ...
Old 03-03-2005, 09:05 AM
2015 Advance

Since each .wav is a separate channel, you need something like DiscWelder to put it back together.

You can play each .wav file separately through WinAmp (I was using it last night). I also set DVD Audio Extractor to extract 24 bit and 48Kbps. The demo of DiscWelder will let you add the tracks to the project (for L, C, R, Sub, RR and LR) but not burn the DVD. I hear the newest version of Nero (6.6?) will burn DVD-A.

-Eric
Old 03-03-2005, 10:07 AM
Team Anth. Audio Engineer

Arrow My 2 cents...

I've spent quite a bit of time with these as well. I've found the DVD Audio Extractor tool to be pretty good. For most DVD-V's, DVD Audio Extractor will create 6 usable wav files per song. Combined with DiscWelder, this is by far the fastest way to create a DVD-A.

Now for the gotchas. I've found that DVD-Vs that have multiple views for a song don't work with this process. The wav files are not in synch with each other (one channel may be half a second ahead of the others). Another gripe of mine is when the chapters end at the wrong time. The above process will create the songs just as they are on the DVD. If the chapter changes before a song does (on the original), your DVD-A song ends. I realize there are ways around this using a myriad of steps, but I wish DVD Audio Extractor had some flexibility.

My advice: Burn a DVD-RW using the quick method and then go back and "fix" songs that end at the wrong time.

Anyone else come across the multi-view problem and know a fix?
Old 03-03-2005, 03:33 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Wink dvd-a authoring

I'm a new TL owner and have enjoyed the contents of this Web site, especially discussions about the electronics. This thread about software used to produce DVD-A discs here and I thought anyone interested in the discWelder software might want to check out this Web
site http://www.dontek.ru/support/progs.phtml?d=0. Go to it and do a search [ctrl-F] for discWelder. You may be a little supprised what you might find. I have no affiliation with this site other than found it thanks to Google. Just wanted to offer some useful information to this thread. Happy recording!!!
Old 03-03-2005, 03:59 PM
Computer Techie Geek

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tlexpress
You may be a little supprised what you might find.
DUDE you
Old 03-04-2005, 12:50 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Originally Posted by bzss7x
Anyone else come across the multi-view problem and know a fix?
I use vStrip GUI for this, just rip a single view splitting on Cell IDs, and join the .AC3 files that form each chapter (the vStrip GUI shows you this info).

Then I use BeSweet to convert the .AC3 files to .WAV.

Mike
Old 03-04-2005, 05:17 AM
2015 Advance

Originally Posted by tlexpress
I'm a new TL owner and have enjoyed the contents of this Web site, especially discussions about the electronics. This thread about software used to produce DVD-A discs here and I thought anyone interested in the discWelder software might want to check out this Web
site http://www.dontek.ru/support/progs.phtml?d=0. Go to it and do a search [ctrl-F] for discWelder. You may be a little supprised what you might find. I have no affiliation with this site other than found it thanks to Google. Just wanted to offer some useful information to this thread. Happy recording!!!
So, how are links to hacking sites helpful? You can get the version of DiscWelder you need for $85. I'd be surprised that people can afford a $35k+ car and not $85.

Besides, who knows what malware/virii/spyware has been included in those packages. It's not worth the risk.

-Eric
Old 03-04-2005, 08:14 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Well ideally if you can use the expensive stuff.

BeSweet take the AC3 files, convert them to 5.1 surround waves, and then
push them thru to SureDTS and spits out a DTS wave file on the other side.

You can feed it a whole disc at a time or rather a whole set of AC3 files.. Of course this is only good for making
5.1 DTS CDs which sound awesome BTW!

The only problem I ran into is I have an old version of Sure and it didn't integrate into BeSweet properly.

If you lived near by, I could do it for you. Heck if I perfect it, I may do it peeps, for say a $1 or $2 per disc.

Thanks to Lore's help, I made some great DTS-Cd's I didn't totally see the need at the moment for moving the audio to DVD-A, as my source files just weren't that large. Around 30 meg per file. Seems like it would have been a lot of wasted space on the DVD-A?
Let me know if you perfect it. I can send you a copy of my originals and you can transfer them for me, along with sending the money for the service. Because I don't know what the hell you guys are talking about from a technical stand point, and I do not have any of those programs. I just know that I have been trying to figure out how to do the same thing since I've owned the TL.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:08 PM
Computer Techie Geek

http://world.altavista.com/babelfish...u2pro_main.htmany one used this japanees software for making DVD-Audio discs? appears much cleaner than DiscWelder, and seems like it can take many different kind of files as input.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pankul
http://world.altavista.com/babelfish...u2pro_main.htmany one used this japanees software for making DVD-Audio discs? appears much cleaner than DiscWelder, and seems like it can take many different kind of files as input.
But it costs 98,000 yen or about $935. For $99, I don't think you can beat Discwelder Bronze.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:58 PM
Computer Techie Geek

Originally Posted by TLover
But it costs 98,000 yen or about $935. For $99, I don't think you can beat Discwelder Bronze.
correct. but i was still wondering if it lets you throw in the AC3 file .. saves you the hassle of making separate WAVs which account for a lot of disc space etc...
plus they offer a working trial edition for 30 days, so burn what you want for 30 days ... PriceLess.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:19 PM
Computer Techie Geek

Thumbs up Mission Successful

thanks to "wakattack" and many others for their valuable input. I was able to successfully burn my FIRST dvd-audio disc using discwelder.

When I first started this project, my DVD drive NEC 1100 could only write +R/W discs. So instead of buying one capable of doing so I first got a firmware hack that upgraded my drive to support -R/W.

My existing NEC 1100 DVD +R/W drive now shows NEC 1300 DVD+-R/W

I used a TDK DVD-RW 2x for media.

the instructions on how to do so are pretty much the same as in the first POST in this thread, except I used DVD Audio Extractor to rip WAV files from my DVD-Video discs.

The music SOUNDS AWESOME. When I played on my Home Theater (which is also 5.1) using my original DVD-Video disc, I had no IDEA how nice the music was since you really loose a lot of 5.1 effects due to the room size and speaker positions, as well as where your seating.

The CAR seems to be the perfect theater for 5.1. I LLOOVVEE IT.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:05 PM
Intermediate

Wow. I love this thread. I just spent the last couple days trying to do this, and then I check the forums, and this genius thread is here.

I pretty much figured out the same process you guys have. Here's what I'm doing now.

Ripping the tracks using DVD decrypter. If you go to stream processing, only select the audio, split files by "cell" and have it only pay attention to the first "angle" (if applicable), it seems to work. Most chapters are set up to be per song, so I got a list song by song AC3 tracks.

Then I run them through BeSure/BeSweet and SureCode CD DTS to get the DTS wav files, then burn them to CD. Works great.

Here are my only problems:

1) When Surcode is done encoding, it just stops (i.e. doesn't automatically close). I have to manually close it, and then the automation process from BeSure continues. Annoying. Any way to fix this?

2) For one music DVD, there is way more than can fit on one CD using this method. Alternatively, I could do this in DiscWelder. However, besure will only split the files one at a time (and then overwrite them if there's another track). Is there a better prog? Will DVD Audio extractor work on pre-ripped ac3 files (i.e. so I can use DVDdecrypter's handy options)? And is there any way to automate the adding of each channel into discwelder? Cause I don't want to add every channel for 16 tracks into it manually.

Or more directly, is there any way to burn DTS tracks onto a DVD? (oh please)
Old 03-08-2005, 03:55 PM
Racer

Yes! I had the same problem. Your using the wrong version of SurCode.

If you need help with the version, pm me.

Should be possible to put DTS audio on a DVD, but I will have to think about
that one for a bit.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:52 PM
Computer Techie Geek

Originally Posted by TheDude42
Here are my only problems:

2) For one music DVD, there is way more than can fit on one CD using this method. Alternatively, I could do this in DiscWelder. However, besure will only split the files one at a time (and then overwrite them if there's another track). Is there a better prog? Will DVD Audio extractor work on pre-ripped ac3 files (i.e. so I can use DVDdecrypter's handy options)? And is there any way to automate the adding of each channel into discwelder? Cause I don't want to add every channel for 16 tracks into it manually.
Dude: I used the DVD Audio Extractor and skipped the whole AC3 -> WAV step. Just chose the appropriate chapters, and selected to rip directly into separate WAV files. all my chapters automatically were named properly as titlexx chapterxx ch1.wav and ch2... etc.

After all that, in disc welder dbl click each of 6 wav files to add to 1 track. I did this for 30 tracks .. you can definately do it for 16

Or more directly, is there any way to burn DTS tracks onto a DVD? (oh please)
it makes you wonder ... why OH WHY will the F$#$% discwelder not take a 6 channel way, and auto map the channels ... but who knows
Old 03-08-2005, 09:02 PM
2015 Advance

OK, so here's where I am:

1. Ripped audio from DVD (Peter Gabriel's Secret World Live) - 24/48
2. Burned 1 song with DiscWelder to DVD+RW - didn't work (known issue)
3. Tried to burn entire mix but failed... too much information to fit on DVD-A

So I'm left with a couple of choices:

1. Eliminate a track or two (ok for testing)
2. Rip the tracks again but at a different bit depth/sample rate. Any ideas on which will be better (where better is defined as best sound to fit on a DVD-A):

24/44.1
20/48
20/44.1

I supposed I could do all of them and check the resulting file sizes, but ripping seems to take about an hour

Thanks!

-Eric
Old 03-08-2005, 09:30 PM
Intermediate

Dude: I used the DVD Audio Extractor and skipped the whole AC3 -> WAV step. Just chose the appropriate chapters, and selected to rip directly into separate WAV files. all my chapters automatically were named properly as titlexx chapterxx ch1.wav and ch2... etc.
Ok. I just did that too, but how do I know what channels are which? Are they in the same order as discwelders?
Old 03-08-2005, 09:57 PM
2015 Advance

I believe they are in the same order. I saw a URL about that (didn't bookmark it) but the output of DVD Audio Extractor does match the default inputs to DiscWelder.

-Eric
Old 03-08-2005, 10:02 PM
Racer

2. Burned 1 song with DiscWelder to DVD+RW - didn't work (known issue)
3. Tried to burn entire mix but failed... too much information to fit on DVD-A

You have to burn to a DVD-R + formats don't work in our cars
Old 03-08-2005, 11:28 PM
2015 Advance

I should have clarified my #3 - that was on to a DVD-R

Anyway, I successfully burned the DVD-A but had to cut out 2 songs to make it fit.

So, should I have ripped the songs as something else with DBD Audio Extractor? DVDAE says Secret World Live has DTS 5 channel and AC3 6 channel. What's the difference between the two since they both end up with 6 output files?

Finally, does the DVD-A support dual-layer? I would _hate_ to have to go buy a new DVD burner...

Thanks!

-Eric
Old 03-09-2005, 12:50 AM
Intermediate

I believe they are in the same order. I saw a URL about that (didn't bookmark it) but the output of DVD Audio Extractor does match the default inputs to DiscWelder.

-Eric

Yes. After some experimentation (using besweet to dump out named channels, and compare), I have confirmed that this is true. Yippee!

For some reason, in DVD Audio Extractor when I select the chapers I want and hit next, it takes FOREVER for it to go to the next screen....anyone know why?
Old 03-09-2005, 02:19 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts

Anyway, I successfully burned the DVD-A but had to cut out 2 songs to make it fit.

So, should I have ripped the songs as something else with DBD Audio Extractor? DVDAE says Secret World Live has DTS 5 channel and AC3 6 channel. What's the difference between the two since they both end up with 6 output files?

Finally, does the DVD-A support dual-layer? I would _hate_ to have to go buy a new DVD burner...

Thanks!

-Eric
I've found that discs sourced from DTS sound significantly better. I might have to try DVD Audio Extractor and see if it has a better AC3 decoder than BeSweet.

Mike
Old 03-09-2005, 09:55 AM
Racer

How big are the combined DTS wavs? I like to burn everything to DTS CD, which you
simply set up a Audio CD in Nero, (Or your favorite burner) and just drag combined wavs to the project.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:15 PM
Computer Techie Geek

Yes. After some experimentation (using besweet to dump out named channels, and compare), I have confirmed that this is true. Yippee!
Dude: if you just look up the help button in the DVDAE, it mentions that very clearly under wav output section.

For some reason, in DVD Audio Extractor when I select the chapers I want and hit next, it takes FOREVER for it to go to the next screen....anyone know why?
that time while should not be too long, depends on your selections. Since on the next screen DVDAE displays the total MB for your selection, and depending on your chosen output encoder, it then can calculate the space that is required.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:22 PM
Computer Techie Geek

How big are the combined DTS wavs? I like to burn everything to DTS CD, which you
simply set up a Audio CD in Nero, (Or your favorite burner) and just drag combined wavs to the project.
wassup up BIG MAN !! once again thanks for your help.

i personally preferred the dvd-a just because they could hold much more songs as DTS files get large. (unless i am doing something wrong) and CD becomes full to soon.

Any ONE heard of MLP encoding for dvd-a files .. do they compress files with a loss less compression so more songs can make it in ?

http://www.meridian-audio.com/p_mlp_mix.htm
Old 03-13-2005, 07:57 PM
17/TLX/Adv/FBP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks for the discount info Eric.

I downloaded DVD Audio Extractor (http://www.castudio.org/dvdaudioextractor/index.htm)
got as far as extracting to 6 channel WAV files as single files (not separate just cos that’s useful when I get disc welder)

I downloaded the trial, and each time I tried it, with 6 channel AC3 selected for a Peter Gabriel DVD, I only got one WAV file. How did you get the 6 single wav files?

Carl

Quick Reply: Best way to convert DVD-V to DVD-A or DTS?