Best slim subwoofer for the money

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012 | 11:08 AM
Instructor

Best slim subwoofer for the money

I have been doing some research and was wondering what you guys would recommend for a slim subwoofer that I would place in a box at the front of my trunk directly behind the rear seats. I am attempting to install a sub there without losing a ton of my trunk space, but wasn't sure how good a subwoofer can be if it is really slim.

Looking to go with a single 8" or 10" depending on what will fit better.
Old 09-11-2012 | 01:04 PM
Team Owner

There are some decent slim subs but due to the design, they usually don't have a ton of excursion. If you're using a sealed box, output is determined by cone area*excursion or displacement.

What will work depends on your goals. I suggest the largest you can fit, especially if you go shallow. The larger cone area will make up for the lack of excursion. JL makes a very nice shallow sub. Make sure to give any sub you get a large enough enclosure or you will end up with a peaky, boomy sub with no low end.
Old 09-11-2012 | 01:25 PM
Drifting

Type r slim is cool
Old 09-11-2012 | 09:38 PM
Codename Duchess

JL TW5 hands down.
Old 09-12-2012 | 08:14 AM
Racer

Since you're looking to save trunk space have you considered an infinite baffle setup?
Old 09-12-2012 | 12:48 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DiamondJoeQuimby
JL TW5 hands down.
Best one out now?

stereo integrity bm was amazing

too bad they dont make em anymore
Old 09-12-2012 | 03:54 PM
Advanced

Is there a stealthbox for our cars? Might work for your application.
Old 09-12-2012 | 06:40 PM
Intermediate

You can always use the stock sub location. It depends on what you are looking for base wise. There are a lot of 8 inch shallow subs that will fit in the stock location, and if the magnet might be a little to long you can always make the space under a little wider for it to fit through. I have an 8 in JL shallow sub in my stock location and it sounds amazing.
Old 09-12-2012 | 08:37 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Type S Love
You can always use the stock sub location.
If u want it to sound like shit..sure.
Old 09-12-2012 | 09:17 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by eggyhustles
If u want it to sound like shit..sure.
Ah, let me just say you don't know everything. Mine sounds awesome, so your opinion doesn't matter, the sub I chose got a lot of good reviews from many people who also bought it. I'm just suggesting it to the folks don't want their nice car to sound ghetto. Not everyone wants their license plate to rattle or to strictly hear nothing but bass for the sake of everyone else hearing how dumb their vehicle sounds on the outside. This is more for ones who want good sound for a decent price, to still be able to utilize their truck space, and who want nice sound for the sake of them hearing it and not everyone else.
The following users liked this post:
JW64 (09-14-2012)
Old 09-12-2012 | 09:29 PM
Team Owner

I have to go with Eggy on this one. Even moderate output will rattle the deck to death. A single low excursion 8" will be anemic at best.

Lots of cone area is not just for SPL guys. It will also give better SQ, all else being equal. If going sealed or IB I would go for lots of displacement whether it's sq or spl you want.

I would only do sealed if IB and ported/bandpass were not options.

I've got a pair of 15s and my car sounds far from ghetto. It's an sq car. I could not get what I wanted from a single 8". No impact, no dynamics. A small single sub is always going to be operating with more excursion. Where a pair of 15s might have no visible excursion, a single 8" is going to be at it's mechanical limits for the same output. Which setup do you think has less distortion, the one at it's limit or the ones that are barely moving?
Old 09-12-2012 | 09:53 PM
Intermediate

My deck doesn't rattle at all, I placed dynamat on the top deck to prevent the rattling. I understand your are defending eggy, but the question from the originator was what is a good sounding shallow sub around 8 or 10 inches. So telling me that you have 2 15's in your truck and your car doesn't sound ghetto doesn't answer the original question, it just means everyone can just hear your bass outside your vehicle and you probably can't use most of your trunk space. My review of the 8" open air sub is the same as the other folks who have also purchased this same unit. Read the reviews yourself..... link is below.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1368W1V...-4.html?tp=111

If 2 15's is how you like to hear your music, kudos to you, I'm just answering the original question, and then got an unintelligent response from someone who didn't care about the criteria that johnfilice presented in his question. I understand what you are saying, but that sort of sound and cost is for a different kind of listener. If you have not personally heard this sub in the stock location of a TL then you would not know either.
The following users liked this post:
JW64 (09-14-2012)
Old 09-12-2012 | 10:37 PM
Team Owner

My deck doesn't rattle at all, I placed dynamat on the top deck to prevent the rattling. I understand your are defending eggy, but the question from the originator was what is a good sounding shallow sub around 8 or 10 inches. So telling me that you have 2 15's in your truck and your car doesn't sound ghetto doesn't answer the original question, it just means everyone can just hear your bass outside your vehicle and you probably can't use most of your trunk space. My review of the 8" open air sub is the same as the other folks who have also purchased this same unit. Read the reviews yourself..... link is below.

If 2 15's is how you like to hear your music, kudos to you, I'm just answering the original question, and then got an unintelligent response from someone who didn't care about the criteria that johnfilice presented in his question. I understand what you are saying, but that sort of sound and cost is for a different kind of listener. If you have not personally heard this sub in the stock location of a TL then you would not know either.
Me and Eggy bicker all the time. I'm not defending him but I am agreeing with him. I wouldn't have been as aggressive as him but there's some truth to it.

You're making several assumptions. I have 90% of my trunk available, more than your typical single 10" in a sealed box. I have tons of sound deadening and sound barrier under the carpet, in the roof, doors, trunk, dash, etc. My car is near silent on the outside and I get very little ambient noise inside the car.

The deck rattles at any hint of bass. The fact that yours does not rattle regardless of whether or not you have dynamat backs up my point that an 8" doesn't have the balls necessary to accurately reproduce the source material, much less the "fun factory" if you want to crank it.

You assume the 15s are there to get loud which means you did not understand my previous post at all. What "kind of sound" do you think my 15s produce? I will assure you they are more accurate, more dynamic, and more realistic, more true to the recording than any 8" sub in free air will ever be.

I can see your sub's displacement and I can tell you it's not enough to accurately reproduce any recording unless it has no bass under 60hz. My system's goal is to accurately reproduce the source material. My door speakers are larger than your sub and they only play from 70hz. My 15s are flat from 20hz to 200hz. They are more linear, more accurate, and have less distortion than your single 8. The 15s require 1/4 the power of your 8" for the same output. They blend with the front stage very well.

The original question was answered by myself and several others. Choices and opinions were given. The rear deck is the worst place you can put a sub in a TL.
Old 09-12-2012 | 10:58 PM
Team Owner

If I didn't make it clear, it's not about my 15s vs your 8. It's about the deck sucking and tiny subs sucking. Larger/multiples are better in every way they can be better whether it's sound quality or spl, even efficiency.
Old 09-13-2012 | 05:35 AM
Intermediate

You can tell me my deck and small sub suck all day long, but I love it, it produces the right amount of bass where its located, and I don't have any problems with distortion nor do I have any problems with my deck. I agree with you that free air subs, which are smaller do not have the same capacity as ones which are larger and enclosed.

So once again back to the original question if the person wants a 8 inch sub which is small and sounds really decent and it is not pricy, whether of not he puts it in the box or the stock location, the one I am suggesting sounds amazing.

I am sure you have amazing sound quality in your car with your huge speakers, but not everyone wants to go that route, do a lot of modification, or pay a lot of money if they just want to have something that just sounds a little nicer then stock.
Old 09-13-2012 | 08:37 AM
Instructor

Thank you guys for all the input. It looks like I need to do a bit more research on installing a sub in the stock location and see what the repercussions of that is. I can understand that 15s will sound way better than putting a shallow 8 where the stock speaker is or even in a box, but I don't want 15s. I have to have kids in the car most days during the week and it gets annoying. I am just looking for a little bit extra over the stock bass without having a rattle trap.

PM'd Type S Love about sealing the stock location.
Old 09-13-2012 | 09:26 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by johnfilice
Thank you guys for all the input. It looks like I need to do a bit more research on installing a sub in the stock location and see what the repercussions of that is. I can understand that 15s will sound way better than putting a shallow 8 where the stock speaker is or even in a box, but I don't want 15s. I have to have kids in the car most days during the week and it gets annoying. I am just looking for a little bit extra over the stock bass without having a rattle trap.

PM'd Type S Love about sealing the stock location.
You don't have to take up a lot of trunk space, go IB.

These aren't mine but you can see how little trunk space a single or a pair of 12s takes up IB. My 15s are a little shallower with a smaller magnet. They weigh only 17lbs and only cost me $333 shipped to my door for the pair. Just throwing it out there because I've seen a lot of people do the single 8" only to be unsatisfied and upgrade again.
Old 09-13-2012 | 11:39 AM
Suzuka Master

My single 15" in IB takes up virtually no space from the trunk. It was $52 and sounds like a million. I do not listen to it very loud, but like was previously mentioned wanted the ability for the system to reproduce accurately what the artist has recorded.

There is no way that an 8" sub will do this. Not much amplification is needed in IB so it can be very cost and space effective. Win Win in every case. Once again it was a no brainer for me.
Old 09-13-2012 | 12:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by I hate cars

These aren't mine but you can see how little trunk space a single or a pair of 12s takes up IB. My 15s are a little shallower with a smaller magnet. They weigh only 17lbs and only cost me $333 shipped to my door for the pair. Just throwing it out there because I've seen a lot of people do the single 8" only to be unsatisfied and upgrade again.

Thank you for the visual, I have never seen subs like this before. Is there risk of damaging the speakers with things in your trunk? I play golf and I feel like my golf clubs would hit the sub while driving. And how does the sound compare to a small box?
Old 09-13-2012 | 01:26 PM
Team Owner

Most subs sound better without the box. Typically, the sound is less boomy and the sub sounds quicker, tighter, and will dig much deeper with half the power required. It's all around better and usually has a flatter frequency response instead of the peak of a small box sub.

The main requirement is to separate the front wave from the rear wave so there's no cancellation. It's easy to do and will take a weekend of your time but it's definitely something you have to do yourself, not many shops will build it for you.

Mine have never been damaged or even close to being damaged. It would be very hard to get something through the basket to damage the cones. When I go on trips, I put the suitcases up against the speakers and any loose small stuff toward the rear of the trunk.
Old 09-13-2012 | 04:14 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

If you're scared about doing it or anything like that..just build a box that's long but shallow like I have. Hardly any space taken and be done with it
Old 09-13-2012 | 04:31 PM
Drifting

k...
Old 09-13-2012 | 06:09 PM
Intermediate

SO you talk about your own car but show a picture of one that is not your own. That is a great setup though if his kids would like to have back massages. There is also another bennfit to this set up , if there is anything magnetic in your trunk, it will be easier to locate! Brilliant!!
Old 09-13-2012 | 06:16 PM
Drifting

this guy..
Old 09-13-2012 | 06:17 PM
Team Owner

SO you talk about your own car but show a picture of one that is not your own. That is a great setup though if his kids would like to have back massages. There is also another bennfit to this set up , if there is anything magnetic in your trunk, it will be easier to locate! Brilliant!!
My pics are all over this site and other sites but I don't want to deal with the filters at work. Are you trying to imply something here?

Back massages and magnets is all you can come up with? Sounds like sub envy.

Haven't had anything stick to the magnet in nearly 2 years. Back massages are no worse than any other system at the same SPL. There's a silver knob on the left side of your radio. It controls the volume. Turn it down when the kids are in the car.

That's an amazing setup that retains more than 95% of his trunk space with the benefits of running a 12.

Question, do you believe adding sound deadening to the door will improve the tweeter's response? What about armour all to the dash? Do you believe the stock door speakers will sound better than aftermarket with a little patch of deadening? Just checking lol.

Now take your little 8" and go home.
Old 09-13-2012 | 06:18 PM
Team Owner

this guy..
I'm waiting for him to start taking about deadener improving his tweeters, along with armor all.
Old 09-13-2012 | 06:27 PM
Drifting

LOL

.3 cubes sealed
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...BL-GTO804.html

go with 2

or
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=295-462

.6 ported

Aero port through stock sub hole and built a beauty panel

..win.
Old 09-13-2012 | 06:30 PM
Intermediate

My pics are all over this site and other sites but I don't want to deal with the filters at work. Are you trying to imply something here?

Back massages and magnets is all you can come up with? Sounds like sub envy.

Haven't had anything stick to the magnet in nearly 2 years. Back massages are no worse than any other system at the same SPL. There's a silver knob on the left side of your radio. It controls the volume. Turn it down when the kids are in the car.

That's an amazing setup that retains more than 95% of his trunk space with the benefits of running a 12.

Question, do you believe adding sound deadening to the door will improve the tweeter's response? What about armour all to the dash? Do you believe the stock door speakers will sound better than aftermarket with a little patch of deadening? Just checking lol.

Now take your little 8" and go home.

Nope still here, and still loving my 8 inch sub! And if I wanted 15's I would have got them, but I don't, so I can't possible hate something I don't want. I just simply answered a question that someone had about 8 inch subs, and you went ahead and hated on it. Conversation didn't have anything to do with you or your obsession with 15's in the first place, or your opinion of smaller subs. Its sounds like someone is having a case of small man syndrome.

Oh and no I don't believe any of that stuff you are asking about works, in fact I just changed my muffler bearings and my blinker fluid, that alone made my stereo sound a lot better, and my car twice as fast.

Lets put this into perspective, I am not the one who started with the negativity, I was just giving someone a simple solution to an issue they were having based on my own personal experience. SO hate on hater! You or your big speakers will not intimidate me that easily.
Old 09-13-2012 | 06:31 PM
Drifting

What are you, a 16 yr old female? Smh.
Old 09-13-2012 | 06:41 PM
Intermediate

What are you, a 16 yr old female? Smh.

WOW you got me! SMH
Old 09-13-2012 | 07:20 PM
Team Owner

My response to Eggy's post. Nowhere is it negative. Just explaining why larger/multiple subs are the way to go for sound quality. I also explain that the 8" is not enough to accurately reproduce the source material in the lower frequencies.
I have to go with Eggy on this one. Even moderate output will rattle the deck to death. A single low excursion 8" will be anemic at best.

Lots of cone area is not just for SPL guys. It will also give better SQ, all else being equal. If going sealed or IB I would go for lots of displacement whether it's sq or spl you want.

I would only do sealed if IB and ported/bandpass were not options.

I've got a pair of 15s and my car sounds far from ghetto. It's an sq car. I could not get what I wanted from a single 8". No impact, no dynamics. A small single sub is always going to be operating with more excursion. Where a pair of 15s might have no visible excursion, a single 8" is going to be at it's mechanical limits for the same output. Which setup do you think has less distortion, the one at it's limit or the ones that are barely moving?
You come back with this crap, calling my setup ghetto, assuming it takes up all of the trunk space, and can be heard around the block, showing that you did not comprehend the above post.

Eggy came on strong but was telling the truth. You started the negativity towards me and it was all based on assumptions and not understanding this stuff. So in rebuttal to your statements, my setup and most of the others posted take up a very small portion of the trunk, do not sound ghetto, can not be heard outside the car. You're not comprehending that the subs, even a pair of 15s blend with the front stage. There are times you can't tell the subs are even on but the output is there for the times you want it. Most of the cars pictured are SQ cars that can get loud.
Old 09-13-2012 | 08:30 PM
Intermediate

Well I admit I was wrong about the trunk space, but you can't tell me that 2 15s can't be heard outside the car when your volume is up at a decent level.

Eggy's response was not strong it was just dumb and unintelligent. I was providing a helpful answer and I was told right off the start that it was shit. Would that not piss you off? I am sorry if my anger bled over into our conversation. Like I said before I don't doubt that your car doesn't sound amazing. I get the dynamics of audio systems I did a lot of research for the one that I chose and I enjoy it a lot, and I am not unhappy with it by any means. This set up works and it is simple. I am sure I am not the only one on the face of this planet who just wants a simple upgrade from stock. And just because they are not bigger and they are in the factory location does not discredit the fact that it sounds good. It does, thats a fact. I think that is a little unfair on your behalf to tell me that my choice of sub and location make it impossible for that to happen. I am sorry if I am a little defensive but I happen to really enjoy my setup and for someone to tell me that my opinion is shit about my own personal experience is a little F'd up. It's like me telling you that your fat and ugly and I have never seen you.

And as I keep saying the originator of the question wanted to know if an 8 inch sounded good, I say that yes some do, I have personal experience with one.

If your subs blend in with the front and can't be heard from the outside of the car you are a rare bread of individual because majority of folks do not go that route. Unfortunately the majority of stereos I have heard is where the base drowns out everything. I myself am very picky how I want my system to sound, and I despise folks who thrown in huge speakers and can't adjust them right, and then I end up next to them at a stop light and their music is is shaking my windows.

I understand all the things you have said, and the speaker set up you showed a picture of is nice, but please down grade my inputs just because you have something against 8 inch subs.
Old 09-13-2012 | 08:46 PM
Drifting

I was providing a helpful answer and I was told right off the start that it was shit. Would that not piss you off?
It is shit...
Old 09-13-2012 | 09:02 PM
Intermediate

It is shit...

Let me tell you IQ blows my mind! You seriously must be the smartest man EVER! I like talking to the other guy, at least he has something to say, and his username has some irony to it.
Old 09-14-2012 | 03:40 AM
Team Owner

Well I admit I was wrong about the trunk space, but you can't tell me that 2 15s can't be heard outside the car when your volume is up at a decent level.

Eggy's response was not strong it was just dumb and unintelligent. I was providing a helpful answer and I was told right off the start that it was shit. Would that not piss you off? I am sorry if my anger bled over into our conversation. Like I said before I don't doubt that your car doesn't sound amazing. I get the dynamics of audio systems I did a lot of research for the one that I chose and I enjoy it a lot, and I am not unhappy with it by any means. This set up works and it is simple. I am sure I am not the only one on the face of this planet who just wants a simple upgrade from stock. And just because they are not bigger and they are in the factory location does not discredit the fact that it sounds good. It does, thats a fact. I think that is a little unfair on your behalf to tell me that my choice of sub and location make it impossible for that to happen. I am sorry if I am a little defensive but I happen to really enjoy my setup and for someone to tell me that my opinion is shit about my own personal experience is a little F'd up. It's like me telling you that your fat and ugly and I have never seen you.

And as I keep saying the originator of the question wanted to know if an 8 inch sounded good, I say that yes some do, I have personal experience with one.

If your subs blend in with the front and can't be heard from the outside of the car you are a rare bread of individual because majority of folks do not go that route. Unfortunately the majority of stereos I have heard is where the base drowns out everything. I myself am very picky how I want my system to sound, and I despise folks who thrown in huge speakers and can't adjust them right, and then I end up next to them at a stop light and their music is is shaking my windows.

I understand all the things you have said, and the speaker set up you showed a picture of is nice, but please down grade my inputs just because you have something against 8 inch subs.
My only point is that at the same volume the pair of 15s will have 1/15th the excursion meaning much less distortion, more linearity, and the ability to cover 20hz with authority which is part of a sound quality system. It needs to be able to produce the entire audible range and most systems have trouble hitting 30hz. My subs are rarely louder than what a single 8 could produce but they do it effortlessly. The alternative to lots of cone area and excursion is ported and bandpass. You get a free boost in output which means less excursion and all of the good things that come with less excursion. I went so far as to put 9s in my doors to reduce excursion. They're rarely loud but they have very low distortion and incredible life like dynamics. Big cone area will put you a few steps closer to real life sound. There's nothing wrong with a single 8 but once you start chasing the most realistic, life like sound, big cone area will help tremendously. With 9s in the doors and a pair of 15s plus a pair of 3.5s and of course tweeters it sounds effortless and life like. Im 35, I would look retarded with a booming sysyem that could be heard around the block. All of my equipment is for sound quality. It will get stupid loud if you want it to but thats not the purpose.
Old 09-14-2012 | 08:22 AM
Team Owner

Guys, we need to keep this conversation on topic. What we DON'T need is personal comments/attacks.

Fair warning.....
The following 2 users liked this post by Steven Bell:
JW64 (09-14-2012), Trunk Monkey (09-14-2012)
Old 09-14-2012 | 08:54 AM
Intermediate

It is shit...
Old 09-14-2012 | 08:56 AM
Intermediate

Did you replace the factory amp as well when you installed the JL Audio 8W1v2-4?

I am looking to replace my stock sub, just wondering how much money I am going to burn to stick an upgrade in there, not a $2,000 system.
Old 09-14-2012 | 11:21 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

Type S Love = Stevemk07

This is why I've been steering clear of A-zine for awhile now. Between the EXTREMELY repetitive questions of:

- Do I need an LOC
- I need a wiring diagram
- What's the best...
etc, etc.

I find it incredibly funny that this guy comes on here thinking he knows best and that everything larger than an 8" is "ghetto" and will rattle the trunk so everyone around can hear. I hate to a be a dick but GTFO or LEARN. The more traffic the better, but when you have 23 posts and obviously don't know much, you need to take in more information here. IHC has one of the nicest setups on here. He doesn't need to post up a pic....b/c it's plastered all over this site! You would know that if you searched anything about IB or anything audio on this site. The amount of knowledge on this site alone is incredible and you'd be best to take it in instead of opposing everything because it goes against your way of thinking. Ignorance can be bliss, but it can also make you look like a dumb ass
Old 09-14-2012 | 11:25 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

Post 3,000!!

Yezzir

Quick Reply: Best slim subwoofer for the money