The Best Aftermarket Navi?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 04:11 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Best Aftermarket Navi?

My first posting on Acurazine!
My wife has a 04 TL with no Navi.
I want to get her the new Pioneer AVIC Z1. Frys has a good price and will install but they tell me that the controls on the steering wheel with not work with the aftermarket navi? I like the Z1 because you can play dvds and have the Navi. Also, if any one has an aftermarket Navi, do the controls below the display still work?
I am looking for any suggestions
Thanks for the help y'all!
Old 12-05-2006, 08:15 PM
Instructor

You wont be able to drop in an aftermarket stereo without the dash kinda looking funny because of the missing knobs on the oem stereo. It would have to be a custom deal to look right. If you really want Navi, some people here have built carputers, moved the stock lcd screens below the radio and installed a 7" vga usb touch screen that connects back to the computer. Its a very big project but the dash looks beautiful after its complete. Do a search for "Carputer" if you are interested.

If you dont want to get that involved, find a shop that will cover up those knob holes that will be left after you remove the stock stereo. Also, bluetooth and the steering controls wont work on the aftermarket stereo as far as I know.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Old 12-06-2006, 06:54 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Pioneer AVIC-Z1 in my wife's Aviator. I absolutely love it. It is a superior navigation system to the 06 TL. It uses a different database than the TL and I added NavTraffic. However, even though the Z1 has good Voice Recognition, the TL shines in that department. The Z1 can also be optioned with Bluetooth. I have it on mine. I also used a PAC module and my factory steering wheel controls work. All in all, it's a very good system that I would recommend. You can also find folks who can build a custom plate to fit your car and it will look just like a factory installation. Due some searching on Google...I think you'll be amazed at what's out there.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:41 AM
2nd Gear

When u figure out what you are going to do let me know. I'm looking to do the same on an 06'. I love the HFL and don't know if i want to give that up.

Does anyone know the cost to get the "carputer" hooked up?
Old 12-11-2006, 04:45 PM
5th Gear

Thanks,

I appreciate all the input. I have spoken with some of the local car audio places and the guy at Circuit City has been really helpful. I am having them look at installing the Pioneer Z1 in the spot where the current radio and weather control display is and moving the current screens down below the radio controls (where the 2 storage bins are). Hopefully that wont be to big of a deal, and then place the new Z1 in the spot above the radio controls. We are thinking of leaving all the controls, steering wheel, blue tooth and all and then have the navigation run through the XM input. Let me know what everyone thinks of that?
Old 12-11-2006, 11:18 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by huge 2 the dork
I appreciate all the input. I have spoken with some of the local car audio places and the guy at Circuit City has been really helpful. I am having them look at installing the Pioneer Z1 in the spot where the current radio and weather control display is and moving the current screens down below the radio controls (where the 2 storage bins are). Hopefully that wont be to big of a deal, and then place the new Z1 in the spot above the radio controls. We are thinking of leaving all the controls, steering wheel, blue tooth and all and then have the navigation run through the XM input. Let me know what everyone thinks of that?
Sounds good but why recreate the wheel?
There are many threads by folks that have already done what you want, try search to save some grief.