Battery Died, radio/cd player/speakers don't work now...please help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 02:13 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery Died, radio/cd player/speakers don't work now...please help!

My battery died, I jumped the car and everything is working now except I can't turn the radio on. When I push power nothing comes on. When I push the audio button the navi nothing happens.

When I use navi for voice nothing comes on and i'm getting no sound out of the bluetooth either.

Can anybody please advise me on how to fix this or what i need to do to make this work again? Everything else in the car electronics-wise seems to be working fine.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Matt
Old 08-16-2009, 02:19 PM
Burning Brakes

you need to enter the radio and nav codes......... the codes are in your service booklet when you bought the car
Old 08-16-2009, 02:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,420 Posts
If you don't have them there, check on the sides and other areas around the glovebox.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:36 PM
Advanced

I bought the car used and don't have the service book. Will they be labeled as "nav/radio codes" or something to that effect?

Once I have them how do I enter them to active the radio, etc?

Thanks so much for your help.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:12 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just replaced my battery today in a 2006 TL with Navi. When I started the car the Nav screen said "Enter Code". I got my owners cards with the appropriate codes . I entered the Navi code and the Navi started working. When I entered the radio code (5 digit number) the screen said "invalid code". I tried again making sure I entered the printed code on my owners card. I still get the invalid code message. What now? Thanks. Steve
Old 08-16-2009, 06:25 PM
Advanced

I am still unsure of where I am supposed to get the codes from without the manual.

Also my navi never prompted me for any codes after I jumped it, is there a way to manually enter the codes?

Please help, i'm lost!
Old 08-17-2009, 05:24 AM
Advanced

Bump.

Anyone?

I really have no clue how to get my stuff working again. Please help.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by cristphoto
I just replaced my battery today in a 2006 TL with Navi. When I started the car the Nav screen said "Enter Code". I got my owners cards with the appropriate codes . I entered the Navi code and the Navi started working. When I entered the radio code (5 digit number) the screen said "invalid code". I tried again making sure I entered the printed code on my owners card. I still get the invalid code message. What now? Thanks. Steve
When you enter the code for the radio, use the numbers buttons down below. The same numbers you use to change radio stations or CD's.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by MattAKramer
I am still unsure of where I am supposed to get the codes from without the manual.

Also my navi never prompted me for any codes after I jumped it, is there a way to manually enter the codes?

Please help, i'm lost!
Did you look around your glove box? Open the glove box and look on the left side (facing the driver). There is usually a sticker with the codes located there. If there is no sticker you will need to get the serial number of the Navi/Radio and take that to your dealer to get the codes. Once you get the codes, add them here as a safe place to keep them online:

http://owners.acura.com/
Old 08-17-2009, 07:34 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
Did you look around your glove box? Open the glove box and look on the left side (facing the driver). There is usually a sticker with the codes located there. If there is no sticker you will need to get the serial number of the Navi/Radio and take that to your dealer to get the codes. Once you get the codes, add them here as a safe place to keep them online:

http://owners.acura.com/
I'll check the glove box when I go to lunch. Do you still think the issue is only the radio code missing even though the navi is working without prompting me for a code (also I've yet to be prompted for a radio code either)?

Is this common? At one point when jumping the battery I accidentally hooked up the positive to the negative and I was worried I shorted something out, however, everything else in the car completely works but the radio button/power button, and all speaker functions...does this sound like a simple fix by adding radio codes?

Thanks!
Old 08-17-2009, 11:35 AM
Advanced

There were no codes near the glove box. Can someone please walk me through how to get these codes and where/how do I enter them to make this work again?

Sorry for needing so much guidance, but I am lost and need this to get working asap.

Thanks again!
Old 08-17-2009, 12:52 PM
Advanced

Ok sorry to be a nuisance but I really need someone to help me with this. Can someone please help me, I will be very, very grateful!
Old 08-17-2009, 01:55 PM
Advanced

I just called my dealer, whom I thought wrote down my navi code one time they had to look at it (they said they did, apparently the didn't). The want to charge me 104 dollars to get it for me. This seems ridiculous.

Is my only other option to pull the stereo out myself and get the serial number off of the back? If i've never done anything like that before is it a major headache?
Old 08-17-2009, 04:44 PM
Advanced

Ok well I guess I'm going to try and get to the back of the unit by myself because i'm not about to pay acura 104 dollars.

I have no idea how to do this. Can someone please send me in the right direction for one of the better DYI threads on accessing the back of the unit?

How long does that take and is there anything I should do while I have the thing apart?

Are there any other options than this?
Old 08-17-2009, 05:22 PM
Advanced

after doing lots of searching it looks like there is a serial on the actual DVD drive in the trunk, will this allow the site to provide me with my radio code as well?

Also I've read a lot about it prompting for a radio code but mine has yet to do this. Is something else wrong possibly? Will somebody please help me?
Old 08-17-2009, 05:45 PM
Advanced

Can someone please help me. I would really like to do this tonight and no matter how much i search/read i have no clue how to do this.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:07 PM
Advanced

Ok i just got off the phone w/acura customer support people and i looked at a bunch of fuses, none looked blown (although i don't know much about fuses).

I then told her about how my battery was hooked up accidentally the wrong way for 10 seconds while i was jumping it and she said i may have messed up a relay or something else that would need to get checked out at the dealer.

When i hold the 1 and 6 down nothing prompts me, when i hold power nothing happens, and I cannot eject my CD's at all. Does anybody have any advice whatsoever? I am really strapped for cash and don't have excess to take to dealer (warranty expired 4k miles ago).
Old 08-18-2009, 05:24 AM
Advanced

Bump. Anybody?
Old 08-18-2009, 07:11 AM
Advanced

Need advice or i am goin to have to go to dealer

If none of the radio functions work whatsoever is more than likely a fuse or a relay? Is there a process that I could check at home to check either of those things or anything else trouble-shooting-wise before I take it in?

I really don't want to give them hundreds of dollars to do 5 minutes of work if I can do it myself.

Someone please help me.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:59 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
If you don't know how to check a fuse, then you'll need to find a buddy who does or eat the dealer cost.

I had a similar incident with my Pilot. I was out of town and the local Honda person said they couldn't do it without the serial number but the dealer I bought the car from could do it by going through a sequence of button pushing and reading back results.

I don't know if you understood but there is a code for the navi that is entered on the touchscreen and a different code for the radio that is entered using the preset buttons on the radio. You can get the serial number from the navi unit in the truck pretty easily but the radio has to be removed if that is the only option.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:25 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by KN_TL
If you don't know how to check a fuse, then you'll need to find a buddy who does or eat the dealer cost.

I had a similar incident with my Pilot. I was out of town and the local Honda person said they couldn't do it without the serial number but the dealer I bought the car from could do it by going through a sequence of button pushing and reading back results.

I don't know if you understood but there is a code for the navi that is entered on the touchscreen and a different code for the radio that is entered using the preset buttons on the radio. You can get the serial number from the navi unit in the truck pretty easily but the radio has to be removed if that is the only option.
I get the different codes part. The issue I'm having now is, however, whenever I pushed 1 and 6 on the radio, which normally prompts you for the code, nothing happens. When I push power nothing happens and it won't let me eject CD's currently in the drive. Based on those factors the lady on the customer service line (the one you call to get your codes if you don't use website) said it might be a fuse or a relay.

I look at the fuses and they all looked the same to me, none looked more "broken" than any other.

Does it sound likely that by having my positive/negative crossed while jumping something would have shorted the radio and only the radio? Every other function of the car seems to be normal.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:15 AM
Advanced

Do you all see reversing the polarity causing major damage to radio? Acura says they charge 90 up front and then it could go higher depending on the issue. Any guidance would really help me out.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:18 AM
Safety Car

You have to pull the fuse out and either look at it from the side or use a continuity tester.

Looking at it while in the panel won't show you anything. If it does, you probably needed to call the fire dept.

Reversing polarity on a car with so many drive by wire features is never good.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:20 AM
Safety Car

Also, I can't remember what happens when you put an invalid code in too many times. You could also try disconnecting the battery to reset everything again and see what happens.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:31 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by KN_TL
Also, I can't remember what happens when you put an invalid code in too many times. You could also try disconnecting the battery to reset everything again and see what happens.
How do you reset the battery?

I Did take the fuses out when I looked at them. Nothing looked out of the ordinary. I'm afraid this dealer is going to charge me a ton of money. They seem really sketchy. Even when my car was under warranty they would try to find reasons to make me pay for things saying things were done to void my warranty, which they ultimately could never prove because they were idiots.

There is only one other Acura dealer in a 30 mile radius and I'm not sure if they are any better or not.

Where can I pick up a fuse continuity tester at/how much do they run?
Old 08-18-2009, 02:09 PM
Advanced

anybody?
Old 08-18-2009, 06:23 PM
Advanced

can anybody help me before i go get raped at acura tomorrow? I really don't want to spend hundreds there if anybody here has advice?

Bottom line is no radio functions are working, does it sound like a blown fuse, relay, etc? Anything I can other than just take it in?
Old 08-19-2009, 08:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
You can reset the battery simply by disconnecting it for about a minute and then reconnecting it. Perhaps this will reboot the system prompting you for the codes. Of course, you still have to have the codes on hand to enter them.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:40 PM
PCM full of water, yummy

If your Acura dealer sucks, go to a local Honda dealer. They may even be better on prices.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:23 AM
2nd Gear

Matt,

Did you resolve your issue? I actually have the same exact problem right now - I reversed the polarity when jumping the car and now none of the radio functions work.

Mike
Old 08-28-2009, 10:57 AM
2nd Gear

For anyone else that runs into this problem. It turned out to be a fuse. My local auto repair shop fixed the issue for $2 (literally). I also had them do an oil change.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:36 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad to hear you got it fixed for $2.

What happened to Matt? I hope it wasn't anything major for him, although he thought the fuses were fine.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:23 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Even though I bought the car new, I lost my codes and twice I've had to go to the dealer to get them since I'm too dumb to write them down. It was free both times and took about 15 seconds. They looked it up by my last name once and the VIN the second time. It's ridiculous to charge that much money when I watched them type the info in the computer and write it down on a piece of paper within 15 seconds.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:45 PM
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts
what other fuses to check besides battery side underhood and driver side foot???
Old 08-13-2013, 12:35 AM
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts
fixed mine bought a fuse tester and found out it was the radio fuse went bad even though visually looked ok