Backup camera and video interface installed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 04:08 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Backup camera and video interface installed!

what up guys...
just wanted to show everyone my backup camera install that i completed yesterday with the help of Bruce (AckTL05). I love it so far. I also installed a video interface so i can have video from my iphone or ipad.

Anyone that needs help with anything in New England, i high recommend hitting up Bruce (AckTL05) for his help for just about anything for the TL

here is what i got:
TVNav2go plug n play unit (search google)
backup camera:
Amazon Amazon
composite video cord:
Amazon Amazon
coupler:
Amazon Amazon
apple composite video cord:
Amazon Amazon

pictures:

let me know if you have any questions...i forgot to take a picture of the back video feed...will try and do that soon
Old 01-15-2012, 08:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Awesome!! Looks good.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:12 AM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
cool setup
Old 01-16-2012, 11:32 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hey JORTS, I see you're not terrible far from me so I'm wondering do you have issues below 30 degrees F with the camera? and i'm mainly asking because I had a CMOS backup camera and once the temperature went below 30F it wouldn't turn on, even though the factory specs said it was good down to 15F. also, how is the nighttime low-light response? and how does it look on sunny days? does it get washed out?

i used to have a 2nd Gen TL now i'm over on the G35 forums. i ended up switching to a BOYO CCD camera but i'd like to sell it and use the one you have if it works right.

thanks in advance for the input!

- Bob
Old 01-16-2012, 12:28 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks OEM congrats
Old 01-16-2012, 12:50 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, how much did the whole setup and installation cost? Price of all the materials (cables/wires, adapaters, pretty much EVERYTHING)
Old 01-16-2012, 09:28 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SatinSilverTypS
hey JORTS, I see you're not terrible far from me so I'm wondering do you have issues below 30 degrees F with the camera? and i'm mainly asking because I had a CMOS backup camera and once the temperature went below 30F it wouldn't turn on, even though the factory specs said it was good down to 15F. also, how is the nighttime low-light response? and how does it look on sunny days? does it get washed out?

i used to have a 2nd Gen TL now i'm over on the G35 forums. i ended up switching to a BOYO CCD camera but i'd like to sell it and use the one you have if it works right.

thanks in advance for the input!

- Bob
I only installed it on Saturday, but so far it has worked... I think it was like 14 this morning and it worked. Camera seems to work fine and the picture is good enough in the dark light. No the screen doesnt look washed out but it's not HD either.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
If you don't mind me asking, how much did the whole setup and installation cost? Price of all the materials (cables/wires, adapaters, pretty much EVERYTHING)
$350-400 total including install
Old 01-17-2012, 09:37 PM
05 Acura TL: a-spec

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Does the camera come on when you shift into reverse? Or do you have to flip a switch or something?
Old 01-17-2012, 10:00 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by CaliChris517
Does the camera come on when you shift into reverse? Or do you have to flip a switch or something?
Camera comes on automatically when I put the car in reserve. I have to push a switch for the iPhone video
Old 06-11-2012, 09:29 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you show a picture of the wiring in the trunk?
Old 06-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
how much did the tvnav2go cost you?
Old 06-11-2012, 11:35 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
why not just get a ipad mount ??? the remote control (ipad screen) is bigger than the TV (display screen)
Old 06-12-2012, 03:34 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that's a nice setup especially for the price
Old 06-12-2012, 05:13 PM
Engineer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I have the same setup, can you post picture of your back up camera screen when it's on? the angle of your camera seems a bit too low and it looks like all you see is the ground and your bumper.

Also I think it'd be better if you use an iphone to display netflix on our navi screen instead of an ipad. ipad is bigger than our navi screen.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:47 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by McMelrose35
Can you show a picture of the wiring in the trunk?
no sorry...everything include sub has been reinstalled...

Originally Posted by Coins
how much did the tvnav2go cost you?
i believe it was ~$200 including shipping

Originally Posted by swoosh
why not just get a ipad mount ??? the remote control (ipad screen) is bigger than the TV (display screen)
1) i use the screen more for iphone video then ipad...i dont typically carry my ipad around in the car..i just used it for the picture the day i had it installed 2) i have the nav screen for a reason...i dont want to be that guy that has an ipad mount, iphone mount, gps mount etc ...i like the clean look

Originally Posted by uhdair
that's a nice setup especially for the price
thanks!

Originally Posted by lights
I have the same setup, can you post picture of your back up camera screen when it's on? the angle of your camera seems a bit too low and it looks like all you see is the ground and your bumper.

Also I think it'd be better if you use an iphone to display netflix on our navi screen instead of an ipad. ipad is bigger than our navi screen.
I will try and remember to snap a picture soon.... yes the angle is is low and i see the ground...i would like it to have been angled more out but that would have required more drilling and this does the job...the bumper is not in the picture...overall i am very happy with the outcome
Old 06-13-2012, 10:18 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
now that makes a lot more sense !!!
Old 06-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts
Hey - so I just ordered the TVNav2Go and am about to order the other stuff on amazon. I already have the iSimple and it's hooked into my 06 TL w/navi.

But I am confused. Where does everything plug in?

I (think I) know the following:
  • The Nav2Go installs in the trunk and plugs directly into the nav brain
  • I can easily run a backup camera off it, hooking into the reverse lights
  • For iPod integration, I run a long video comp and couple it to the Apple comp cable.
  • Do I then plug the USB end of the Apple comp cables into the iSimple?
Otherwise, once I have run the video cable from the trunk and coupled it to the Apple composite cables, what are the connections to the iSimple and/or iPod?
Old 06-14-2012, 07:51 AM
Racer

as promised....i guess you can see the bumper a little bit...but the view works for me...like i said, i didnt want to have to drill anymore just for a little better angle...this picture was taken in my work parking lot this morning...
Old 06-14-2012, 07:55 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by VicTL06
Hey - so I just ordered the TVNav2Go and am about to order the other stuff on amazon. I already have the iSimple and it's hooked into my 06 TL w/navi.

But I am confused. Where does everything plug in?

I (think I) know the following:
  • The Nav2Go installs in the trunk and plugs directly into the nav brain
  • I can easily run a backup camera off it, hooking into the reverse lights
  • For iPod integration, I run a long video comp and couple it to the Apple comp cable.
  • Do I then plug the USB end of the Apple comp cables into the iSimple?
Otherwise, once I have run the video cable from the trunk and coupled it to the Apple composite cables, what are the connections to the iSimple and/or iPod?
you have everything correct execept for the isimple/audio portion. the apple composite cord is used for the video only...you will use the aux (headphone jack) portion of the isimple for the audio...your simple should have come with an iphone jack and an Aux headphone type jack...so you when you are playing video and audio through your car, you will have the apple cord coming out of th bottom of your iphone/ipad and the isimple audio cord coming out of the type headphone jack of your iphone/ipad....you can plug the USB cord into a charger and it will charge your iphone/ipad at the same time

let me know if that answers your questions
The following users liked this post:
VicTL06 (06-14-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 10:30 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by JORTS
you have everything correct execept for the isimple/audio portion. the apple composite cord is used for the video only...you will use the aux (headphone jack) portion of the isimple for the audio...your simple should have come with an iphone jack and an Aux headphone type jack...so you when you are playing video and audio through your car, you will have the apple cord coming out of th bottom of your iphone/ipad and the isimple audio cord coming out of the type headphone jack of your iphone/ipad....you can plug the USB cord into a charger and it will charge your iphone/ipad at the same time

let me know if that answers your questions
Thanks for responding!

OK, I think I got it. So I run the video cable from the Nav2Go in the trunk to my console armrest (where my iSimple jack currently lives). I run the audio cables from the iSimple module to the armrest.

So let's say I have my iSimple going and I'm listening to music. Now the mood strikes me to watch some video. This is what I think I do:
  • Unplug iPhone from iSimple cable
  • Plug Apple propietary end of the composite cable (coupled to video cable coming from the TVNav2Go) into the iPhone
  • Plug the audio cable into the headphone jack
  • Plug the USB end of the composite cable into a USB charger to charge while playing.
That's about it, right? Man, this might just be too much hassle for the payoff, LOL!
Old 06-17-2012, 01:53 PM
Racer

my apologies...i told you wrong about the audio...i just went and tested it out to make sure (sorry i dont drive my car much anymore so i haven't used the video in awhile)...so when you are installing, you connect the audio composite cords (left and right) from the apple composite cords to the isimple unit itself directly...
so to recap and avoid the confusion:
*install TVNav2Go in the truck of the car
*run a long video composite cable that is connected tothe TvNav2Go unit in the truck to the front of the car...connect the front end of this cord with a coupler to the apple composite video cord
* connect the audio outs of the apple composite cords to the isimple device itself
*once everything is hooked up correctly and you are ready to watch a video, do the following:
    sorry for the confusion...if you are still confused, pm me and i will give you my # and you can call me
    The following 2 users liked this post by JORTS:
    kpc2593 (06-17-2012), VicTL06 (06-18-2012)
    Old 06-17-2012, 05:19 PM
    Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
    Awesome thread...I too am trying to get video and a backup camera installed in my TL but I'm lost when it comes to routing the cables...

I really could use your help JORTS! About to PM you shortly!
    Old 06-17-2012, 06:17 PM
    TLX-S

Received 225 Likes on 172 Posts
    i have the same camera, but mine isn't pointed to the ground as much and the edge of the rear bumper is at the very bottom of the screen.

Name:  backup1.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  92.9 KB

Name:  backup2.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  65.4 KB
    Old 06-18-2012, 10:49 AM
    Racer

my apologies...i told you wrong about the audio...i just went and tested it out to make sure (sorry i dont drive my car much anymore so i haven't used the video in awhile)...so when you are installing, you connect the audio composite cords (left and right) from the apple composite cords to the isimple unit itself directly...
    so to recap and avoid the confusion:
    *install TVNav2Go in the truck of the car
    *run a long video composite cable that is connected tothe TvNav2Go unit in the truck to the front of the car...connect the front end of this cord with a coupler to the apple composite video cord
    * connect the audio outs of the apple composite cords to the isimple device itself

*once everything is hooked up correctly and you are ready to watch a video, do the following:
    • click the button that came with the TVNav2Go unit that triggers the nav screen to change to the video out. tune your radio (XM screen) to AUX2, plug in your iphone/ipad to the apple composite cord. play netflix, youtube, compatible video and enjoy!
    sorry for the confusion...if you are still confused, pm me and i will give you my # and you can call me
    Hey - thanks for the response and the offer of tech support! I'm trying to think how often I would watch it and I'd be more likely to bust out my wife's iPad. Plus, I already put my order in through amazon. Maybe I'll do it when I turn my mind to upgrading the audio, when I'll be (paying someone to) running wires front-to-back. Fortunately, the TVNav2Go and backup camera are self contained in the back. Heck, I might even take a shot at installing them myself! Thanks!
    Old 06-20-2012, 01:14 AM
    Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
    I think the camera angle is way too low. It's literally pointed downwards. You should definately adjust it more upwards.
    Old 06-20-2012, 08:17 AM
    Racer

Originally Posted by wilzrsx
    i have the same camera, but mine isn't pointed to the ground as much and the edge of the rear bumper is at the very bottom of the screen.

Yes I like you angle much more. I will see if I can improve my angle at all but I am pretty sure with the way it was installed I would have to drill out a part of the silver piece to achieve this. Not something I want to do.

Did ur camera not have that blue marker in the picture like mine?
    Old 06-20-2012, 09:11 AM
    TLX-S

Received 225 Likes on 172 Posts
    Yes I like you angle much more. I will see if I can improve my angle at all but I am pretty sure with the way it was installed I would have to drill out a part of the silver piece to achieve this. Not something I want to do.

Did ur camera not have that blue marker in the picture like mine?
    Yes, mines has the blue distance lines as well, but it comes on depending on the lighting. I was in the garage at the time.

I actually used longer screws and some washers or nuts to push the camera down further.
    Old 01-02-2013, 01:02 AM
    Intermediate

Will Nav2Go display apps on Nav screen?

Ok, my apologies for re-opening a 6 month old thread here, but I have a question for anyone with the Nav2Go installed...

I know that it will work for video off a device, such as an iphone or ipad...but what about apps? Will it mirror Google Maps off my iPhone onto the Nav screen?

I have to go this route cause I live in Dubai and can't get my hands on a Middle East Nav Disc. Thanks for your help!!
    Old 01-02-2013, 10:18 AM
    Intermediate

Originally Posted by Luqman
    Ok, my apologies for re-opening a 6 month old thread here, but I have a question for anyone with the Nav2Go installed...

I know that it will work for video off a device, such as an iphone or ipad...but what about apps? Will it mirror Google Maps off my iPhone onto the Nav screen?

I have to go this route cause I live in Dubai and can't get my hands on a Middle East Nav Disc. Thanks for your help!!
    might just want to give them a call: http://www.tvandnav2go.com/contact_tvandnav2go.php