Audio upgrade options

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 10:00 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio upgrade options

Sup guys, I just got a 05 tl and I just joined acurazine, and this is my first thread

And I wanted to hear your guys opinions. I have a Jl 13w7 with a Jl 1000/1. I had it tearing up my 08 civic. But due to the bank being pricks, I had it repo'ed. Still kept my setup, but i currently have it on craigslist in case something good like a trade comes up or something.

So my question to you guys is, should I install my setup into my tl? Like have the 13w7 in the trunk with the port comming out the stock sub hole? Or ... (here comes the list of options) ... Install a smaller speaker with a smaller amp, or get an 8w7 put into the stock hole with a Jl hd 750/1 amp and ported through the trunk? Or get an 8 inch arc audio sub that works good in free air with this mini 500/1 amp by arc audio that is small as hell that'll be un noticeable? Or 2 10w6's with the same 1000/1? ... Or hell am I missing anything? Anyone else have another Jl setup that I didn't mention?

And keeping a factory look isn't my concern, just getting what best suits the car. I personally think the 13w7 is a bit too much since the civic I had before was falling apart(literally). But I still want a good ass sounding bass.

And PS: is arc audio good? The shop I go to has like all there cars in competitions with those subs.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:50 AM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Just keep it. You will probably get pennies on the dollar for it used. I have a more powerful sub than that and it never shook a car apart - that was just the Civic.

Audio competitions are usually either about:
1). Just being loud
2). Pleasing a computer

Building something in your car based on either of those things is about as helpful as using a strategy of a top-fuel funny car to mod your TL engine... like filling in the water jacket to make a solid block.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:51 AM
Codename Duchess

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts
1) Banks usually only repossess cars because the bill isn't paid, not because they are pricks
2) what jda said
3) Don't do a single 8w7 a: free air or b: with a 750/1, that is about 3 times the power that sub is really rated to take
4) never played w/ much arc stuff, so can't comment on quality but they have a decent reputation
Old 02-15-2012, 11:12 AM
Got The Midas Touch

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would stick with what you have since its readily available and you don't have to worry about the hassle of selling and buying other gear. Also I don't think anyone has yet to really put an aftermarket 8" in the rear deck with completely satisfactory results.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:51 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Don't get rid of what you have.

The 13W7 sounds great infinite baffle and will only require about 400w. This is JL's best SQ sub and it has great output as well. What is your ported box tuned to?

No decent 8" will fit in the stock hole and if it does, output won't be very good and you'll be dealing with rattling forever.

If it's too loud, turn the gain down.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:12 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
I would not IB a w7.

Ported only for that one.

oh yeah..what are you doing with your front stage?
Old 02-15-2012, 08:22 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by eggyhustles
I would not IB a w7.

Ported only for that one.

oh yeah..what are you doing with your front stage?
It's been done several times now with excellent results.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:03 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@jda yea true that. I'm gonna just put what I have in the tl.

@diamond long story short, they promised a grace period cuz I was unemployed. But then they backstabbed me with crazy ass fees.
But the 8w7 was a thought cuz I had seen some people put 8w3's. And yea the arc audio brand seemed like a good brand, but pricier than Jl. Lol.

@mos I say, if your gonna go through all that hassle of putting in a good aftermarket 8, might as well make it worth while and port it.

@i hate cars in not sure what's its tune to, I know for a fact that the box isnt even using the subs full potential. And if I get my set up put into my car. Imma have the clean sweep eq put in. That way I'll have control over the gain remotely.

@eggy I only roll with ported. And what do you mean by The front stage?

Oh and have you guys hooked up the amp from the stock amp? Or from the head unit with an eq? Which is better?
Old 02-15-2012, 11:27 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jda123
Just keep it. You will probably get pennies on the dollar for it used. I have a more powerful sub than that and it never shook a car apart - that was just the Civic.

Audio competitions are usually either about:
1). Just being loud
2). Pleasing a computer

Building something in your car based on either of those things is about as helpful as using a strategy of a top-fuel funny car to mod your TL engine... like filling in the water jacket to make a solid block.

Hmm.... Nitromethane in the TL. That would be fun for a few seconds. Top Fuel don't even fill the water jacket, they use billet blocks that never had water jackets in the first place. I do run partially filled water jackets on my other car. Did I get off topic lol.

In all seriousness, I agree with you but you can get some good from competitions. Shooting for a good stage and ideal placement of drivers is usually a good idea for everyone regardless of the end goal. Pleasing a computer is not but there are certain qualities a judge looks for that's not a bad idea. I got too caught up in a few qualities that aren't important to me. After hearing some competition cars and considering competing, I think my system lost some of it's dynamics to please a judge instead of myself. For ME personally, I prefer the dynamic system on a daily basis even if it would mean losing points in a competition.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:28 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Evilpostman
@jda yea true that. I'm gonna just put what I have in the tl.

@diamond long story short, they promised a grace period cuz I was unemployed. But then they backstabbed me with crazy ass fees.
But the 8w7 was a thought cuz I had seen some people put 8w3's. And yea the arc audio brand seemed like a good brand, but pricier than Jl. Lol.

@mos I say, if your gonna go through all that hassle of putting in a good aftermarket 8, might as well make it worth while and port it.

@i hate cars in not sure what's its tune to, I know for a fact that the box isnt even using the subs full potential. And if I get my set up put into my car. Imma have the clean sweep eq put in. That way I'll have control over the gain remotely.

@eggy I only roll with ported. And what do you mean by The front stage?

Oh and have you guys hooked up the amp from the stock amp? Or from the head unit with an eq? Which is better?
Ported is fine but you're limiting your options if you "only roll with ported". You suggested what I can guess is space savings by mentioning an 8" IB. I suggested the W7 IB to save you space and because it sounds amazing like that. It will have low end like you've never experienced.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:01 AM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

I don't know about you guys, but I take a great big starter out of my trunk on a long cord and attach it in the front of the car to start my TL engine.

If you use the factory sub channel (pre or post amp) you can control the sub from the headunit... not as good as a full-blown EQ, but plenty good enough if you are just adding a sub and keeping the stock speakers.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:19 PM
Team Owner

I don't know about you guys, but I take a great big starter out of my trunk on a long cord and attach it in the front of the car to start my TL engine.
You know better than to say something like that on here. Inaccurate might be reading and the next thing to go on his weight savings will be starter and battery lol. Start it at home and don't turn it off until you get back home.
If you use the factory sub channel (pre or post amp) you can control the sub from the headunit... not as good as a full-blown EQ, but plenty good enough if you are just adding a sub and keeping the stock speakers.
One question, is there a sub output from the factory HU that you can control pre-amp with the HU? I'm not sure if you saw my posts on DIYMA but I'm heavily considering going back to passives and this would be a neat feature. I always assumed you lost control of the sub through the HU once you got rid of the factory amp.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:27 PM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

There is no turning the engine off. Might as well get rid of all of the ignition stuff too. Mine just goes until it runs out of fuel and the chute opens.

The amp just amps and cuts some signal here and there. When you take the sub channel and move it up/down, that is all in the HU. The only issue with the sub channel is that is doesn't go much above 90hz, or so, and below 20ish... the front signal is better if you want to play the subs high.