Audio system question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 01:22 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio system question.

Hello,
i got my audio system installed about 2 weeks ago. So far i am not very happy with the system. There are lots of noise and the volume drops when i play the music little loud.

Here is my setup.

Pioneer Avic 700BT
JL 1000.1 V2
JL 450.4 V2
JL 12w7 in ported Box
Focal 165 K2P (front)
Focal 165 KF (Rear)

I found a local guy who install audio. He kept telling me not to use 0 gauge wire, but i told me i'm going use it anyway. we had the 2 farad cap install, but during the tuning the volume drops (like turning volume way down). He told me that the Cap is problem so we removed it, than he broke the post on the cap when he remove the cap. He told me that this is not a big system and i don't need any cap.

This is my frist audio system, so i don't know much. I have few questions.

1. Do i need any Cap or second battery.
2. how can i get rid of the noise?
3. Do i need to get a high output alternator?
4. i just got a Optima red top 34d is this good enough?
5. My HD radio keeps jumping between analog and digital, what's wrong?

thanks all
Old 05-04-2009, 08:18 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ezland00
Hello,
i got my audio system installed about 2 weeks ago. So far i am not very happy with the system. There are lots of noise and the volume drops when i play the music little loud.

Here is my setup.

Pioneer Avic 700BT
JL 1000.1 V2
JL 450.4 V2
JL 12w7 in ported Box
Focal 165 K2P (front)
Focal 165 KF (Rear)

I found a local guy who install audio. He kept telling me not to use 0 gauge wire, but i told me i'm going use it anyway. we had the 2 farad cap install, but during the tuning the volume drops (like turning volume way down). He told me that the Cap is problem so we removed it, than he broke the post on the cap when he remove the cap. He told me that this is not a big system and i don't need any cap.

This is my frist audio system, so i don't know much. I have few questions.

1. Do i need any Cap or second battery.
2. how can i get rid of the noise?
3. Do i need to get a high output alternator?
4. i just got a Optima red top 34d is this good enough?
5. My HD radio keeps jumping between analog and digital, what's wrong?

thanks all

wow all that awesome gear and you are not happy....

it sounds like the person who installed it, is not an installer but rather a bucher.

that gear should sound real sweet especially with Focals.

IF I were you but I am not, I would go back and demand every penny that you gave him. once you get your money back take it to proffesional.

I rather pay more but get it done right rather find some crappy person who does not know squat.....

good luck.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:02 AM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Caps & battery's and I'll say it like it was tould to me, Its like vitamin C it won't hurt to have to much,

My guess is your installer has'nt got a clue. Use a alternator installed incorrectly would be a problem,

Word of advice - make the right decision, shop around for the parts, but always find the best to do the job not the cheapest. And verify - will the installer use the parts purchased somewhere else, ask if its an issue with them.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:06 PM
Instructor

I am not going to start a war om caps, but my are:

if not done right, or if one will only rely on a cap then it will hurt the system rather will do it good.

improper use off caps will only tax the charging system.

to be used and help the system one will need to to everything else prior installing a cap.

Proper cables and proper connections are a must.

ground the battery, alternator, with same gauge wire. basically. "The Big Three"

If still havung issues or need a cap increase the main battery.

any how this will start a long thread, I am, done on this subject.

One thing I will say is this.

make sure your installer knows what he is doing.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:39 PM
Racer

Is it true that that separating the positive and the negative speaker wires can reduce the noise? My friend told me that his installer run positive wire on one side of the car and negative on the other side.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think your friend means running the power wire for the amps down one side of the car, usually the drivers side and speakers wires up the other side, usually the passenger side. Probably a good idea to keep the amp power wires and the speakers wire separated as much as possible before they get to wherever the amps are installed.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:30 PM
Instructor

^^^^+1
Old 05-04-2009, 09:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Are you getting the infamous hiss out of the components?
Old 05-05-2009, 12:01 AM
Unregistered User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ezland00
Is it true that that separating the positive and the negative speaker wires can reduce the noise? My friend told me that his installer run positive wire on one side of the car and negative on the other side.

I've heard something about this a looong time ago with crossing main ground and power wires to the amp (or cap/battery then to amp). I then proceeded to tie my 4awg in a knot around the ground and had no unusual hiss, noise, or drop in power. So, I'd call that myth busted. ....now if it were exposed strands, then yea, you'd have a problem, but it wouldn't be a simple hissing.

What I believe you might have meant was the rca (signal) wires running on the opposite side of the car from the power, which I've tested and you SHOULD separate. Basically, don't mix thick wired 12volts or higher with a signal wire or there will be some interference and alternator wine.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:17 PM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I am currently running 1000watt mono Alpine amp to my subs and 400watts to my mids and tweets and I thought the same to have a Cap and I found it useless and a waste of money.

What kind of noise are you getting? Could be many reason why you are getting unwanted noise.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:43 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
caps are useless, jus bandaids, try doing the big three?
Old 05-08-2009, 05:04 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nick337
caps are useless, jus bandaids, try doing the big three?
you actually came to that conclussion, how?
Old 05-08-2009, 09:38 AM
Racer

I can hear the "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" noise as soon as i pop in the CD. i thought it might had been myself burn CD, but that's not the case. i use the CD that i brought from the retail store and it does the same thing. i thing the amps aren't tuned correctly.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Instructor

have you taken it back to whom ever installed it? I would.... if they do not know how to get rid of it by moving or regrounfing a ground wire. ask them to install a ground loop filter......
Old 05-09-2009, 01:18 AM
Racer

today i reorganized all the wires; i seperated all the power wires away from the speaker wires. as i was going through all the wires, i found out that my installer miss connected my RCA; he connected the front right connector wrongly with the rear right. i also upgrade the ground wire from 6 gauge to 0gauge. However i am still getting the Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz noise from the front tweeters. Does the location of the crossover matter? if so where is the ideal location.

I am not planning to use that guy anymore. Plus he's nearly 40miles alway from me.

thanks
Old 05-09-2009, 05:39 AM
Instructor

ok, 1st if there is engine noise? do you hear it when the car is off? if not then move the ground point to a diffrent location. does not matter on location just try to move it.

make sure it is solid and paint free, before you use it.

if the noise is there with engine off. you still have crossfeed somewhere try to move the wires around some more, but this time leave the radio on... if yo can not hear the noise while doing it get some help. ask your friend to tell you if the noise will get worse or better while they are inside.

if all else fails, get one of the ground loop isolators.

if isolators will not do the trick. get some better RCA wire and temporarly bypass the one that is the car if it stops well you just wound it.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:30 PM
Codename Duchess

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts
is it a whine or a hiss? A whine is likely electrical, and hiss is likely level setting issues. (i.e.noise floor)

A 450/4 and 1000/1 have the potential to draw a TON of current, like 120+ amps EASILY. If you are really leaning on it when the volume drops it is likely the JL amps going into rollback protection due to low voltage which is from the current demand.

I agree, caps are not going to do much for you.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:17 PM
2nd Gear

Exclamation plz help with system

hey guys im new to acurazine and i was wondering if u could help me...im gettin ready for a show on june 13th and i wanna finish my carputer and system....i dont kno wat to use to intergrate all the sound from my stock head unit and my carputer..also i have 3 Alpine PDX 1.600 and 1 Alpine Pdx for interiors..with 2 JL 10in W6s and 1 JL TW5...so if someone could help me and tell me exactly wat i need thank u