Audio Button Not Working / Audio Screen

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 09:39 PM
TL.Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio Button Not Working / Audio Screen

Hello All:

I have a 06' Tl w/ NAvi, and the audio button only works sometimes. Is there anything I can do to fix the button, OR is there another way into the audio screen (voice command, multi-button push, BIOS hack??) Thanks!
Old 06-09-2009, 11:25 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
What button do you mean by "audio" button?
Is the button on the Navi screen, the steering wheel or the audio control panel?

FWIW, most Navi, climate control and radio functions respond to voice control if you activate the Navi system; the manuals for the Navi are attached to the owner's manuals linked through the 3G Garage.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:10 AM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

Originally Posted by TL.Driver
Hello All:

I have a 06' Tl w/ NAvi, and the audio button only works sometimes. Is there anything I can do to fix the button, OR is there another way into the audio screen (voice command, multi-button push, BIOS hack??) Thanks!
I have this problem also. Can you see if zoom out also does not work while the audio button works? its sporadic, but recently its not working a lot more than it is working.

dunno what i did.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:36 PM
TL.Driver

Yes, i am also having the same problem with the zoom out as well. As for button I mean the one that says Audio, on the control panel. Im going to try a battery discconect/reconnect to see if that works.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:38 PM
TL.Driver

Originally Posted by Will Y.
What button do you mean by "audio" button?
Is the button on the Navi screen, the steering wheel or the audio control panel?

FWIW, most Navi, climate control and radio functions respond to voice control if you activate the Navi system; the manuals for the Navi are attached to the owner's manuals linked through the 3G Garage.
But is there way to get to the audio touch screen via the voice commands??
Old 06-12-2009, 04:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
audio menu
Old 06-13-2009, 12:07 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TL.Driver
But is there way to get to the audio touch screen via the voice commands??
Negatory on that one.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:10 AM

hey, did anyone ever get this fixed?
Old 09-12-2009, 02:09 PM
NBP is a pain...

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i had to disconnect the battery and reconnect it. By any chance do you guys have the PXAMG installed? This started happening after I installed the PXAMG.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:49 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i get the samething in my 2007 type s tl and i also have the pxamg hooked up.if you unhook the pxamg and try it it works.so that's why i know it's the pxamg.you can do 2 things unhook it for 5 min. and them plug it back in and it will work for sometime;and the other way is to press am/fm and then hit xm and turn it to ipod and that will help.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:26 AM
WDP Type S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a issue with my audio button and the joy stick not working also on my 07 type s. By any chance is it still under warranty? because the dealership had to replace my whole navi unit to correct the no audio button and joystick problem. Mine car didn't have the pxamg installed either just stock. navi unit problem?
Old 09-14-2009, 11:25 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
anyone else?
Old 09-15-2009, 02:59 AM

i don't have PXAMG, but i did do a mod to the XM audio cables (splicing) back when there were no options available (long, long time ago). Beginning to think that it might be some noise from the splicing and / or other audio options.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:12 AM
Intermediate

Can the people without the PXAMG confirm that the battery disconnection method worked to retore functionality?
I have this problem too but no PXAMG (although i do have the USA spec)
Old 12-04-2009, 09:37 AM
Intermediate

OK so i disconnected my USAspec and re-installed. worked fine for half a day then the audio button and zoom out stopped working. Anyone have any ideas where the fault could be?
Old 12-04-2009, 01:30 PM
06 WDP TL Owner

I have one of the ipod adapters installed and I've had the isuses where certain features of the head unit lockup or don't respond, like the audio buttion. All my issues were related to the ipod adapter. If the mode is on anything other than XM (the ipod adpater), then there are no issues. When the head unit is acting up, shutting off the car and restarting gets things working until the next time. It's intermittant and so far, no fix.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:48 PM
9th Gear

i have a 2004 TL Navi no PXAMG and have the same damn problem...first began with the Audio Button now the Zoom Out is acting up too...luckly Zoom Out can be control via Voice Command but the damn Audio cant!
Old 02-10-2010, 11:37 PM
Instructor

Hey Guys,

I have the same problem on my 06TL. I am out of warranty currently at 71k, so going to the dealer would be too expensive. Has anyone been able to fix this without replacing the whole screen assembly?

Thanks.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:04 PM
Intermediate

No fix except a new head unit but if you hold down Audio or zoom while pushing up on the joystick it will take the command. Also I noticed that if I have the heat cranked up and the inside of the car is vey warm the problem goes away... This also started happening in the fall when It was getting cooler out.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:00 PM
Instructor

I am thinking that some of the solder points on the circuit board have grown weak. I will probably take apart the screen unit and examine it for loose wires and weakened solder points. The only problem is removing the center vent. Anyone know where i can get that hook tool to do it?

Thanks.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:30 PM
Instructor

I did some more research on this issue and it turns out that Alpine can repair our navigation screen for a fee of about $120. This is similiar to the DVD drive repair that several forum members have used when their dvd drives died.

The only problem is that when i removed my Navi screen to get it ready to be sent for repair, I totaly lost the ability to adjust the temperature in the car, even voice controls didn't work. The car defaulted to a high fan setting of 6 or 7, and a pretty high temperature as well since heat was coming out of the vents.

So I was forced to put my Navi back in, since i need the car to be usable to get to work.

Does anyone know how to control the temperature when the Navi screen is disconnected?

Thanks.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:15 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Hmm, if voice controls don't work, then I don't know how you can control the temperature controls. Might have to wait it out until you get the unit back from Alpine.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:47 PM
WDP Type S

On my 07, to display the audio menu without using the audio button. use the voice command "display audio menu". Not sure if it'll work for the 06.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by borgit
I did some more research on this issue and it turns out that Alpine can repair our navigation screen for a fee of about $120. This is similiar to the DVD drive repair that several forum members have used when their dvd drives died.

The only problem is that when i removed my Navi screen to get it ready to be sent for repair, I totaly lost the ability to adjust the temperature in the car, even voice controls didn't work. The car defaulted to a high fan setting of 6 or 7, and a pretty high temperature as well since heat was coming out of the vents.

So I was forced to put my Navi back in, since i need the car to be usable to get to work.

Does anyone know how to control the temperature when the Navi screen is disconnected?

Thanks.
So i was able to fix my Audio/Zoom out problem by swapping the entire lower button assembly from a used unit that i bought on ebay. Unfortunatley, that button assembly is not sold separately, and buying it new is too cost prohibitive as you have to buy the whole display unit for about 2K. So getting it from a used unit on ebay seems to be the best option.

Another thing I found out is that our navi display unit is not made by Alpine, instead the circuit boards are made by Sumitomo Electric and the LCD by Toshiba. So sending it in to Alpine for repair wouldn't have worked.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:26 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I am having the same issues with my 2004 acura tl navigation. The audio button and zoom out button do not work intermittanly. If I press up on the center silver knob they start working again. Can anyone please help and let me know what the fix was? Is it the dvd unit in the trunk or the moniter and buttons going bad. I want to replace the one that is bad but not guess or replace both. Thanks
Old 07-04-2011, 06:38 PM
1st Gear

I have an '04 TL and just today the audio and zoom out buttons decided not to work. They do come back if I jiggle on the silver control knob just under the screen. Latest message on this thread is one year old -- any recent polstings on this issue??
Old 10-15-2011, 11:43 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by bjclausen8
I have an '04 TL and just today the audio and zoom out buttons decided not to work. They do come back if I jiggle on the silver control knob just under the screen. Latest message on this thread is one year old -- any recent polstings on this issue??
Mine's been this way for years - it drives me crazy! I've looked into it (taken it apart) and the problem is the joystick. I'll bet you'll also notice that pushing the joystick in to mark a spot or hit OK doesn't work well either.

Try gently pushing the joystick to the right just a bit and then using the Audio or Zoom Out buttons. Does that fix it? If so, then you have the same problem as I do. I think that one set of contacts in the joystick switch tend to stick when the joystick is centered, causing some other buttons to not work. Pushing it to the right tends to fix it.

I've been trying to get this fixed under warranty for years, but the problem is they have to pull the entire unit, send it back to the manufacturer, and wait for them to repair it. This takes about two weeks during which time the car has stereo, no controls for AC, heat, etc., and a big gaping hole in the console. Basically, I consider the car unusable and can't be without it for two weeks.

I'm taking it in next week to see if I can find a better solution - I'll let you know what happens.
The following users liked this post:
ljwobker (07-04-2012)
Old 10-18-2011, 11:54 PM
8th Gear

My 2004 TL has been running great until the past few months I have multiple problems:

-LCD screen goes dark after Acura Navigation logo is displayed, after starting the car
-None of the joystick-row buttons work at all
-the white LCD clock does work but radio stations are blank up there
-radio and bluetooth still work
-heater only now kicks in when I turn it past 80 degrees
-car starts most of the time on the second or third try (separate issue?)

What can I try without spending thousands? Convert it to a carputer? Check some relays or get some error codes? Learn more and make a disc to update the navigation software? Disconnect the battery for a long time?
Old 04-21-2016, 07:18 AM
2nd Gear

ac control on screen

i just bought 2007 tsx. it came without navi disk but i found one and installed and works fine. no when i press AC button the controls does not show up on screen. i can control by voice only. how can i get use of on screen controls again?