Audio advice for low volume listener

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 07:13 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio advice for low volume listener

Like many out there, I find the sound in the TL disappointing. I would like to upgrade the factory system and I am looking for advice. My situation may be a little different than most in that I do not listen to the system very loud (I already have tinnitus from having too much boom in previous cars). My normal listening volume is around 5-6. I rarely go past about 12. I am looking for a solution that has good, clean sound at this low volume. I would like to hear the bass but I do not need to feel it. I really want to keep everything looking stock and I want to loose as little trunk as possible. (I went for a ride in a friend’s new Mercedes 350 and I was shocked how much bump he got from a free-air sub at low volumes. So I know decent bass is possible without loosing too much trunk.)

I am currently thinking of 2 options but I gladly welcome other suggestions:
1) Replace stock speakers with Infinity Kappa 60.7cs in front and Kappa 63.7i in the rear. These speakers are 2 ohm and pretty high sensitivity (95dB) so I THINK they should work fine with the stock amp. Will I be disappointed putting in these speakers without adding an amp? Maybe bypass the stock sub with an Infinity Basslink.

2) Replace stock speakers with Polk Audio MMC6500 in front and MMC650 in rear. Add a JL 300/4 amp to power them. (I like how much bass response these have). Maybe add Basslink with this setup as well.

Any advice is appreciated.

BTW – I have made 2 changes that have made the system pretty decent at higher volumes: 1) Skip XM and listen to music via Adobeman DVDs (he rocks – you have to try moving your CD collection to DVD) and 2) Dynamat the rear deck area.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:15 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going through the same exercise myself.

If you look at an install that King of Pain made to completely address all 5 channels is fabulous. (https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ight=king+pain) His selection of amps is high quality but with moderate power.

I am thinking of duplicating his system but I've always had the more is better attitude with regard to power. But I also don't listen to my audio at levels where I can be heard before I get to my neighborhood, so I will most likely be happy with that setup.

Good Luck and I'd be very interested in what you decide.