Anyone replace the parking and turn signals with LEDs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 08:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Anyone replace the parking and turn signals with LEDs?

I'm looking at doing the LEDs on the interior and woudl like to do the front parking/turn and rear turn signals, anyone swap them out with LEDs and have any advice?
Old 09-03-2007, 11:25 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Keith,

I swapped out the interior light bulbs (except the glove box & trunk - still looking at that) w/ LEDs - 9 wedges.

Here are before pics of the map (front, by the sunroof) and dome (rear) lights:

The puddle lights on the doors are the easiest. For these, I used blue LEDs, since they tend to match the blue LED ambient lighting of '04-'06 TLs. (The '07s TL-S's have red LED ambient lighting, while the '07 ATs have blue.)

To begin, get a small, thin screwdriver and pry off the cover.

Though this goes without saying, be careful that the bulbs get very hot quickly. You might use a sock or glove to remove the bulb. This is the only bulb in the car that is plucked easily.

Stick the 9-wedge blue LEDs right in. Note that these particular wedges were kind of loose, and only once did I have to re-install them after slamming the door after initial installment somewhat dislodged the LED from its socket.

Map Light - Xenon White LEDs
For the overhead map lighting, pry open the cover.

You'll notice that there's very little clearance from the bulb and the outer lamp housing. Don't laugh, but it must've taken me 15 minutes to figure out how to pry these bulbs out. In the process, I ended up scratching the silver bezel area with the screwdriver when I tried using the screwdriver and a sock to pry off the bulb. This is much easier than it looks but well worth it!

Surprisingly, the LED wedge fits in very smoothly, isn't too loose (unlike the puddle sockets), and comes out smoothly as well.

Rear Dome Light - Xenon White LEDs
Pry off the covers one at a time.

Though not as easy as the puddle lights but not as hard as the maps, there's enough clearance to pull these bulbs straight out.

The finished product

Sorry, I didn't take any pictures of the finished interior as I was planning to install the LED license plate and reverse lights as well. I didn't get to yet due to time constraints. That and I have to figure out how to rip the trunk liner off.

Plus, I'm looking at researching trunk light LEDs and footwell LEDs, and, maybe outside turn signals, too.

I bought these from ijdmtoy.com, btw. Really cheap. About a month ago, they were going for like $10/pair + shipping. The guy was really cool. He also had an ebay store.

Hope this helps!

Dan
Old 09-04-2007, 01:30 PM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
if you search.... you will find...
Old 09-04-2007, 01:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1, but i like MPunk's idea.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
talk to desper
he made custom led rears for his 05- I followed him the other day- looks great
and he smoked the front corner lights some how
Old 09-06-2007, 01:23 AM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
http://img531.imageshack.us/my.php?i...edtailsoa0.flv

http://img532.imageshack.us/my.php?i...backledsr3.flv

Video 1 is my car, video 2 is Rodney's. I have switchbacks too, will post a video soon as well.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:45 AM
7th Gear

Hi Guys! I really like the idea of LED's in the interior and exterior lights. Anyone know if those lights would be available for a 99 TL? Also, Did anyone have EGR valve replaced? I have 104,500 on my TL and I found out that part is covered under extended warranty by Acura.
Also, Electric ignition Switch was recalled..may also be covered as well. Good news to share with TL owners. The Alloy's on my TL are a bit scratched...(I'm 2nd owner) any suggestions as to where to buy nice replacement rims? Thanks, Rob
Old 09-06-2007, 06:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Cool thread, I ordered my LEDs from superbrightleds.com and they are awesome. As per MMJK84 in the interior thread I used T13-R6 Red in the doors and WLED-W4 in the map/dome lights. They look great but I might bump up the domes to W6 for a tad more light, the W4 is nice and clean but not quite as bright as the stock IMO. Really brings interior to life, no yellow cast. I will doo parking/signals, reverse, and trunk this weekend and will try to post some pics then.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:21 PM
Suzuka Master

OK I had no luck finding the info so tried it and it seems the TL needs the load of standard bulb otherwise it hyper-flashes. Anyone know the replacement flasher unti p/n or where it is even located to replace?
Old 09-16-2007, 11:19 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
all leds will hyperflash in the turn signal unless you use a load resistor

http://www.superbrightleds.com/tail-brake-turn.html
Old 09-17-2007, 06:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by leedogg

Thanks, I ordered the load resistor and will give that a try. Not sure I liked the Amber LEDs when I installed them, not as good as the stock bulbs, but the RED signal LEDs looked as good or better than stock so I will try the resistor for them.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:38 AM
Let's Go Pens

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by leedogg

There might be another solution to this. I was told you can replace the standard thermal flasher fuse (located under the driver kick panel) and replace this with a electronic flasher unit and it will eliminate the hyper flashing. This is just speculation but i'll be ordering my bulbs and thermal flasher and I'll keep you guys posted on this

Originally Posted by KeithL
Thanks, I ordered the load resistor and will give that a try. Not sure I liked the Amber LEDs when I installed them, not as good as the stock bulbs, but the RED signal LEDs looked as good or better than stock so I will try the resistor for them.

Do you have your housings cleared of the amber reflector? I was considering using red bulbs but have not got around to clearning my lenses yet so I wasn't sure how a red bulb with the orange reflector would look
Old 09-24-2007, 12:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Acur8Lady
Hi Guys! I really like the idea of LED's in the interior and exterior lights. Anyone know if those lights would be available for a 99 TL? Also, Did anyone have EGR valve replaced? I have 104,500 on my TL and I found out that part is covered under extended warranty by Acura.
Also, Electric ignition Switch was recalled..may also be covered as well. Good news to share with TL owners. The Alloy's on my TL are a bit scratched...(I'm 2nd owner) any suggestions as to where to buy nice replacement rims? Thanks, Rob
You may find better answer to your questions on the right forums for your year. These forums are for 3rd generation TL's (2004+).
Old 09-26-2007, 09:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Evader
There might be another solution to this. I was told you can replace the standard thermal flasher fuse (located under the driver kick panel) and replace this with a electronic flasher unit and it will eliminate the hyper flashing. This is just speculation but i'll be ordering my bulbs and thermal flasher and I'll keep you guys posted on this

Do you have your housings cleared of the amber reflector? I was considering using red bulbs but have not got around to clearning my lenses yet so I wasn't sure how a red bulb with the orange reflector would look

I thought the flasher control was not a thermal unit but intigrated int he electonics adn the unit under the kick panel is just the cliker.

I did not clear any housings, the Amber LEDs were way too dim, but the 7440 replacements in the back looked awesome. I woudl prefer to replace the thermal flasher if there really is one. I need to go to Acura ina few days, I'll ask them about the unit see if they know.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:42 PM
Let's Go Pens

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
KeithL - I'm still looking into this one. The flasher units I found are of the 3 pin variety, and the ones on our TLs have multiple prongs so I too am going to check with a service advisor and see what I can find out. If not you can just get a relay but i prefer the plug and play method
Old 10-07-2007, 09:50 PM
TL Driver and Loving It!

Hey Bro's,

I find this thread interesting, and in fact did the interior light replacement with the LEDs using the super bright for map, 9 led light for dome, and 5 LED for courtesty door lights (one in the middle and 4 on the side. Great results. I miss the way the incandescents dim slowly when you turn on the car an when hey go out though. Thanks for the pictoral guide. It was a major help.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:11 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by swilliams53
Hey Bro's,

I find this thread interesting, and in fact did the interior light replacement with the LEDs using the super bright for map, 9 led light for dome, and 5 LED for courtesty door lights (one in the middle and 4 on the side. Great results. I miss the way the incandescents dim slowly when you turn on the car an when hey go out though. Thanks for the pictoral guide. It was a major help.
Hey, what kind of LEDs are you using? At first, I thought that incandescents with LEDs will get rid of the dimming effect but it still dims with the LEDs. Plus, the 9-wedge Xenon-white LEDs I use are very bright and have an almost bluish-hue to it. Much better than the incandescents that came with the car.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:12 AM
TL Driver and Loving It!

Hello MPunk,

To answer your question, I ordered from 'superbrightleds.com' so whatever type of lights they sell. So, when you get into your car, the lights come on and when you start, the lights used to dim I believe. Mine sort of just shut off. But, because of the brightness, I am OK with it. I have polarized super bright in the map, and my thread describes the 9-wedge and 5 wedge I used elsewhere in the car. I hope that answers your question.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:13 AM
TL Driver and Loving It!

For further info on the lights I ordered, go to the web sight and check them out I guess.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:44 AM
7th Gear

Hign Intensity Lights For Side Markers

Originally Posted by swilliams53
For further info on the lights I ordered, go to the web sight and check them out I guess.
WHERE SO I ORDER THEM AT?
THANKS,
ACUR8LADY
Old 10-12-2007, 11:29 AM
TL Driver and Loving It!

superbrightleds.com
Old 10-12-2007, 01:40 PM
Pro

A few months ago when I was replacing all of my interior lights with LEDs, I looked into replacing the turn signal lights with LEDs since I was clearly out the front headlights anyway. I searched and searched, and couldn't find a replacement flasher for the turn signals. I don't think one exists. You have to use a load resistor. I decided that would be entirely too much trouble and just went with an amber incandescent 7440 bulb with chrome coating (so you can't tell the bulb is amber when it's off) from autolumination
Old 10-16-2007, 10:42 AM
TL Driver and Loving It!

Originally Posted by Mpunk
Hey, what kind of LEDs are you using? At first, I thought that incandescents with LEDs will get rid of the dimming effect but it still dims with the LEDs. Plus, the 9-wedge Xenon-white LEDs I use are very bright and have an almost bluish-hue to it. Much better than the incandescents that came with the car.
Well, I did a little futher checking, and yes, I do get the dimming affect, but, with LED's versus incandescents, it is not as smooth and dramatic. The LED's will start to dim and when they voltage reaches a certain threshold, they seem to just shut off. Whereas, with incandescent bulbs, they will dim all the way down. Hope that clears that up for all concerned.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:47 PM
Instructor

That is HOT!

Originally Posted by rockyfeller

Video 1 is my car, video 2 is Rodney's. I have switchbacks too, will post a video soon as well.
Man that was hot, the way the front switches from white to amber! Also the side marker LED flashes too, it doesn't on my 07 TLS. Did they use load resistors to acheive that?

Sweet ride, looking forward to your videos.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:45 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by rockyfeller

updated video:

http://img531.imageshack.us/my.php?i...edrearsxz1.flv
Old 11-13-2008, 07:46 PM
1st Gear

"courtesy lights"

Thanks for posting the pics of how to access the courtesy lights. I thought it was a fuse that had to be changed out, but noooo, it was the stupid little bulbs and I couldn't figure out how to get to them.

Thanks again!!!
Old 11-22-2008, 05:50 PM
Darryl

since all the interior lights take the same bulbs i changed out all my interior for LED blue to match pics coming soon...

looks the same as the above pics but instead of white map lights i made everything blue

give the car a nice glow at night but not to bright to get pulled over for
Old 03-28-2010, 10:42 AM
10th Gear

Flasher relay exist on 07 TL typeS?

Hey guys....I searched the forums for info on a flasher relay on the 07 Acura TL's and didn't see anyone write about actually finiding it? I would like to install LED's for the turns but not sure if there is an electronic flash relay out on the market? If so, who sells them? I rather not go the "load resistor" route as that gets tedious trying to make sure it doesn't touch plastic as it gets very hot.

If anyone has some information on this...please share and thanks in advance!

-Jason
2007 TL Type-S w/Nav
Alabaster Silver Metallic w/Ebony & Silver leather