Anybody Install Doms Nav Unit And Wendy's Camera Recently?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 02:58 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody Install Doms Nav Unit And Wendy's Camera Recently?

Hey guys, I'm in the middle of doing the wiring for the doms/wendy's backup camera right now. Everything is mounted and it looks great! Thanks to datmrman, dcc, & kennyc for the awesome write ups! I can't seem to find how to completely wire up the unit.

So there seem to be a total of 8 wires: 2 white, 2 red, 2 black, 1 blue, 1 green

Wires to be grounded: 2 white, 2 black, 1 green

So my questions
1. Do all 3 remaining wires get connected to the reverse bulb? If not, which ones connect to the reverse bulb and where do the others go?

2. Where is the plug in for the video1 input on the doms nav unit?

THANKS in advance for your help guys!
Old 06-16-2007, 03:21 PM
DCC
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight_TL
Hey guys, I'm in the middle of doing the wiring for the doms/wendy's backup camera right now. Everything is mounted and it looks great! Thanks to datmrman, dcc, & kennyc for the awesome write ups! I can't seem to find how to completely wire up the unit.

So there seem to be a total of 8 wires: 2 white, 2 red, 2 black, 1 blue, 1 green

Wires to be grounded: 2 white, 2 black, 1 green

So my questions
1. Do all 3 remaining wires get connected to the reverse bulb? If not, which ones connect to the reverse bulb and where do the others go?

2. Where is the plug in for the video1 input on the doms nav unit?

THANKS in advance for your help guys!

The only wire that goes to the reverse lights is the blue one. All others that need to be grounded should go to chassis ground (there's a good factory location by the navigation computer in the rear. You'll see where the factory mounted all of those grounds...just tap into that.) DO NOT plug your grounds into the reverse light wires... You can also connect your blue wire to a switch so that you can operate the camera whether the car is in reverse or not. If you want it to automatically come on, then tap it into the reverse light....hope that helps!
Old 06-16-2007, 03:28 PM
Racer

oooh! what about the red wire from the actual camera and the power wire from the doms unit? Thanks again for your reply bro! I really appreciate it!
Old 06-16-2007, 03:34 PM
DCC
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
oooh! what about the red wire from the actual camera and the power wire from the doms unit? Thanks again for your reply bro! I really appreciate it!
just pm'd you midnight_TL,

the red wire from the cam goes with the blue to the power of the reverse light. the other 2 white and 1 green as well as the black from the camera goes to chassis ground to that location I was telling you about....
Old 06-17-2007, 01:05 AM
Racer

okay so i got everything wired up and the camera works, but my navigation doesn't work now. i can make out the map, but it is super dark (almost like it's not even on at all)

Has anybody had the same problem??
Old 06-17-2007, 02:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,430 Posts
okay so i got everything wired up and the camera works, but my navigation doesn't work now. i can make out the map, but it is super dark (almost like it's not even on at all)

Has anybody had the same problem??
on dom's unit there is a brightness button, push it and try to see if it gets better. Also make sure the connections are secure and all grounds are in place. If you have the PNP cable, make sure it is firmly seated into the navi drive and into the stock harness, also remember to ground that little black wire sticking out of the PNP cable.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:27 AM
Racer

do you think it may be the actual unit itself? i have 5 wires grounded total. everything else is firmly crimped and plugged. hmmmm
Old 06-17-2007, 01:20 PM
Racer

maybe it's because i need to use a fuse when i tap into the reverse lights....
Old 06-17-2007, 02:45 PM
Racer

okay so i got the nav to work again by splicing into the yellow wire with red stripe on the nav unit. camera still doesn't work. do you guys think if i used an inline fuse to tap into the reverse light, that might be the solution? Thanks!
Old 06-17-2007, 03:33 PM
'16 FBP Advance FWD

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
okay so i got the nav to work again by splicing into the yellow wire with red stripe on the nav unit. camera still doesn't work. do you guys think if i used an inline fuse to tap into the reverse light, that might be the solution? Thanks!
Ok, you said earlier that the camera works. I assume you tapped into the green backup wire like dcc suggested. If so, you should be able to check if the camera is working just by putting the car into reverse (turned off, of course). Also, be sure the camera is plugged into Video 2.

Another way to check the camera is plug it into Video 1 and, with the car in reverse, flip the toggle switch connected to the red/black wires. If this works, but plugging into video 2 doesn't, then your blue wire might not be connected correctly.

If all else fails, drag a TV with a video input (yellow RCA connector) into the garage and hook the output of the camera up to it.

By the way, in-linefuses won't help make any of this work. They are just there to protect from overloading the circuits in case something happens to the camera or Dom's unit.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:14 PM
Racer

if my doms unit is a defective one, the navigation settings wouldn't even show up with all the wires correctly connected right? Navigation works fine, but the camera just shows a blank black screen. It does switch over from navigation to black screen when i pop it into reverse though. I'll try to see if the actual camera is hooked up by that method. Thanks bro!
Old 06-17-2007, 05:16 PM
'16 FBP Advance FWD

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Yeah, if you get the navi display when in park then it's got to be the camera.

One more way to test; if you have a camcorder it has an RCA video output. Put it in VCR/play mode, start playing a tape, plug it into Video 2, and see if you can see it on the navi. If so, then it's definitely the camera.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:54 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 1 Post
my camera and dom's unit was working great until today. i put it in reverse, and the screen shows horizontal green and black. like the vertical hold is off on a tv. there is no image.

the same thing happened to a old digicam of mine. i turned it on one day, and the display showed the same thing (as did the pictures).

anyone know what kind of warranty wendy's camera has on it? i had it almost a full year before it was installed, (only installed it this past summer) and it worked perfectly from day one until now.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by SHaFT7
my camera and dom's unit was working great until today. i put it in reverse, and the screen shows horizontal green and black. like the vertical hold is off on a tv. there is no image.

the same thing happened to a old digicam of mine. i turned it on one day, and the display showed the same thing (as did the pictures).

anyone know what kind of warranty wendy's camera has on it? i had it almost a full year before it was installed, (only installed it this past summer) and it worked perfectly from day one until now.
I think it has a 90 day or 1 year warranty. Before you think its the camera, try to make sure its not dom's unit by plugging in something else, like an ipod video or dvd player into the rear camera plug.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:50 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 1 Post
found it. turns out, that my mounting point (right next to the dvd player in the truck) is prone to condensation collecting. some got into the case of dom's unit, and was shorting it out. i disassembled it and cleaned up the slight corrosion (not enough to actually eat a connection up) and dried it up, and now it works fine. am going to look into a way to seal the case and mount it an inch or so off of the sheet metal so hopefully it won't happen again.

for those that live in areas with a real winter, check on your dom's unit! 4 screws and it comes apart. corrosion should center on the power connector first, and mine was also on one of the ic's on the bottom of the board.

lesson learned.