any suggestions on a good sub and amp?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 12:42 AM
Federation Squirtle Squad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any suggestions on a good sub and amp?

...im looking to get a decent sub and amp for an 06 TL, anybody got any good suggestions?

...i dont need anything too fancy, just looking to spend around $300
Old 07-08-2006, 04:12 AM
Advanced

Well, I have an Infinity 700 watt mono amp I would sell you for 175, and you could get this sub from woofersetc for 149. That puts you pretty darn close. Heard nothing but good things about the sub, and it sounded quite nice at local dealer...

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=3147
Old 07-08-2006, 02:04 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
First of all, you have to ask yourself some ?'s. Like, what size woofer do I want? How big will the box be? Will you get a custom box or prefab box? What kind of bass are you looking for? SPL or SQ. Good thing is we already know your budget.

IMO, I don't know about that sub. On that page it says

"Rec. Sealed Box Dims: not recommended
Rec. Ported Box Dims: not recommended
Free Air Usage: not recommended"

So what the hell does that leave you with. Bandpass?!?! Maybe the specs on that page arent correct but I've never been a huge fan of JBL. If you wanna get a good sub look around online. Ebay is great. www.onlinecarstereo.com has great prices. And www.woofersetc.com is a great site too. Then once you find what you're looking for, froogle it or go to bizrate.com and find the best price. That's how I found all my equipment. Good luck w/ whatever you end up getting!! And SHARE PICS!!
Old 07-08-2006, 02:12 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Infinity Basslink
Old 07-09-2006, 02:11 AM

...not sure what size yet, perhaps something rectangular, almost like the size of an xbox or so, i just wanted something that looks nice and sounds well

i've been looking thru eBay because thats where i buy almost everything on, so far im thinking of Infinity or JL, not quite sure at this point, perhaps an Infinity amp and a JL sub
Old 07-09-2006, 09:11 AM
Advanced

Darkcyde-
Perhaps you should do a bit of research before rushing to judgment-Like on JBLs website. Woofersetc simply has not downloaded the enclosure information into their website for that particular woofer, as is the case with many other woofers.
That particular woofer would work well in small sealed enclosures. All of the Thiele-Small parameters are readily available on JBLs website. I was very impressed listening to this sub- it didnt take a ton of power to get it to move like most of the new uberwoofers, and had an exceptionally natural sound to it.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Darkcyde024
First of all, you have to ask yourself some ?'s. Like, what size woofer do I want? How big will the box be? Will you get a custom box or prefab box? What kind of bass are you looking for? SPL or SQ. Good thing is we already know your budget.

IMO, I don't know about that sub. On that page it says

"Rec. Sealed Box Dims: not recommended
Rec. Ported Box Dims: not recommended
Free Air Usage: not recommended"

So what the hell does that leave you with. Bandpass?!?! Maybe the specs on that page arent correct but I've never been a huge fan of JBL. If you wanna get a good sub look around online. Ebay is great. www.onlinecarstereo.com has great prices. And www.woofersetc.com is a great site too. Then once you find what you're looking for, froogle it or go to bizrate.com and find the best price. That's how I found all my equipment. Good luck w/ whatever you end up getting!! And SHARE PICS!!
Chester, if you read my post completely you would see that I wrote "Maybe the specs on that page aren't correct." I figured it had multiple applications. I've never heard of a sub that only runs bandpass. I was just stating that I don't particularly like JBL products. Doesn't mean they aren't good or that they don't sound well. A friend of my brothers actually works for JBL designing woofers or amps or something. I hear they are trying to make a resurgence (sp?). Either way, I haven't heard the woofer yet so your impressions are better than mine. Just remember, listening in an audio shop doesn't recreate the sound of a woofer in a car.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:12 PM
Instructor

and btw azngr81, many members are using Infinity components and I haven't read any bad things yet. are you going for a big boom (SPL) or sound quality (SQ) setup? this makes a difference as to what woofer/amp/box you should get.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:43 PM
Advanced

I, like you Darkcyde have a 12 inch Kappa Perfect DVQ (mine is in a sealed enclosure) that I am very happy with....as a matter of fact I am in the process of adding another. Wonderful sound quality, it plays low, and gets plenty loud. (I am also in the process of adding a Boston Acoustics Pro 6.0 soundstage up front with 250 watts per side, so I am adding another 12, mostly for fun
You can find the Infinity Kappa Perfect DVQs on ebay for around 150 or less also, it would be a fine choice as well. It seems as if the Kappa perfect and the new JBL power subs have a pretty similar frame, which would make sense since there parent company is Harman.

You are correct Darkcyde- listening to a sub in a sound room is not the same as in a vehicle, but when there are JL w6, Memphis, Type Xs, and a couple other fine subs in the same room, you can get a reasonable sense of the musicality, quality and performance of each individual woofer.

As you can see AzNGR81, there are many good subs available in that price range...
the list is probably over 2 dozen woofers long, It all comes down to what you have the opportunity to hear and like, and brand preference...

Diamond D6
MB Quart Premium
Dayton Reference high fidelity
JBL Power
Infinity Kappa perfect
JL w3
Soundsplinter
RE Audio
Boston acoustics g5
Elemental Designs 13V0 (never heard one of these personally, but many folks swear by them)
Old 07-09-2006, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Darkcyde024
and btw azngr81, many members are using Infinity components and I haven't read any bad things yet. are you going for a big boom (SPL) or sound quality (SQ) setup? this makes a difference as to what woofer/amp/box you should get.
...i dont know much about audio but id probably prefer Sound Quality
Old 07-09-2006, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Chester
I, like you Darkcyde have a 12 inch Kappa Perfect DVQ (mine is in a sealed enclosure) that I am very happy with....as a matter of fact I am in the process of adding another. Wonderful sound quality, it plays low, and gets plenty loud. (I am also in the process of adding a Boston Acoustics Pro 6.0 soundstage up front with 250 watts per side, so I am adding another 12, mostly for fun
You can find the Infinity Kappa Perfect DVQs on ebay for around 150 or less also, it would be a fine choice as well. It seems as if the Kappa perfect and the new JBL power subs have a pretty similar frame, which would make sense since there parent company is Harman.

You are correct Darkcyde- listening to a sub in a sound room is not the same as in a vehicle, but when there are JL w6, Memphis, Type Xs, and a couple other fine subs in the same room, you can get a reasonable sense of the musicality, quality and performance of each individual woofer.

As you can see AzNGR81, there are many good subs available in that price range...
the list is probably over 2 dozen woofers long, It all comes down to what you have the opportunity to hear and like, and brand preference...

Diamond D6
MB Quart Premium
Dayton Reference high fidelity
JBL Power
Infinity Kappa perfect
JL w3
Soundsplinter
RE Audio
Boston acoustics g5
Elemental Designs 13V0 (never heard one of these personally, but many folks swear by them)
...yeah my friend told me to get the Infinity Kappa Perfect, so im most likely going to get that, now im just looking around for some JL subs, well do you know if i need any additional accessories or items for installation?
Old 07-09-2006, 03:59 PM

...whoops didnt realize the infinity kappa perfects were subs not amps, now i just need an amp
Old 07-09-2006, 04:02 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by AzNGR81
...yeah my friend told me to get the Infinity Kappa Perfect, so im most likely going to get that, now im just looking around for some JL subs, well do you know if i need any additional accessories or items for installation?
You mentioned you dont know that much about audio...If your freind told you to get the Infinity Kappa perfect (which is a subwoofer) then you dont need a JL subwoofer...if you follow me?

Infinity also makes a line of amplifiers, but they are referred to as the "reference" series.

Feel free to PM me if you would like....or here is an itemized list of what you would likely need

1 Mono amplifier of your choice that puts out roughly 450-750 watts RMS
2 Line output converter
3 a subwoofer (the Kappa perfect, or the Jl sub, but not both)
4 A proper enclosure for that subwoofer, based on manufacturer parameters
5 an amplifier installation kit that has at least 8 guage power wire, and is fused at the battery.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:06 PM
Advanced

...whoops didnt realize the infinity kappa perfects were subs not amps, now i just need an amp
Looks like you type quicker than I do

If you are interested in the infinity amp I have, just PM me they do work really well together!
Old 07-09-2006, 08:56 PM
Instructor

I decided on a JL-HO10W6 which is a 10" sub in a rear firing tuned encloser matched with a JL 250-1 mono block amp. I feel the thump in the center of my back whenever I pop in a good DVD-A disk, I have the input sensitivity turned right down on the JL amp so it was'nt so overpowering.

Still lots of room in my trunk and I can access my spare no problem.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Chester
Looks like you type quicker than I do

If you are interested in the infinity amp I have, just PM me they do work really well together!
thanks for the offer but i prefer to buy things new, also i do appreciate your help in this thread
Old 07-12-2006, 02:34 AM
Instructor

so you're liking the kappa dvc. that's music to my ears!! I cant wait to get mine installed. what size enclosure did you go with?? The infinity manual is pretty helpful in finding what would work best for you. What Q are you using?
Old 07-12-2006, 09:00 AM
Advanced

I went with a 1.0 cu ft sealed enclosure with the mid q insert. It sounds great, and plays quite low. I would like to add a bit of polyfill to it as well. I had two JL 10W0 before in a sealed enclosure, and the Kappa perfect 12 just slays them! (as one might expect, the jl w10 are a good entry level sub, but thats about it!)
Old 07-12-2006, 10:34 AM
Trucki!!

...not sure what size yet, perhaps something rectangular, almost like the size of an xbox or so, i just wanted something that looks nice and sounds well

i've been looking thru eBay because thats where i buy almost everything on, so far im thinking of Infinity or JL, not quite sure at this point, perhaps an Infinity amp and a JL sub
Like I said above......if your looking for something small, fills out the bottom end, get the Infinity Basslink! It fits in the rear wheel well and doesn't take away much space (not much bigger than an xbox) I can still fit 3 sets of clubs in the trunk. I will try to take some pics after work today. I just think for the $ and the sound the basslink produces it is hard to beat.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:21 AM
Advanced

Those are pretty neat. A buddy of mine had one in an Eclipse, it sounded pretty good.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:25 AM
Trucki!!

Ok forgot to take or post these until a member asked, so here you go:

Old 07-14-2006, 01:10 PM
Advanced

Wow, almost looks integrated-It fits perfectly back there. Probably get some nice corner loading as well!
Old 07-14-2006, 05:59 PM
Trucki!!

Works well for me and sounds really good, so I have no complaints. It was an easy install. I went ahead and just drilled down through the trunk tray so it would stay put.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:03 PM
Burning Brakes

lembowski,

Sub looks good! I will probably be going with this unit as well!

I noticed that you have 4 RCA connectors going in to the amp. Did you get the low level input from the connection prior to the factory amp in the kick panel? Why are there 4 connectors instead of just 1?

Any reason you got the Basslink instead of the Basslink II? Now that I have seen your install, I will probably go with the Basslink as it looks like if fits perfectly in the spot you mounted it. The Basslink II is a little bigger I think.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:07 PM
Military Enforcer

what's the basslink II?
Old 07-25-2006, 01:35 PM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by Kikaida
lembowski,

Sub looks good! I will probably be going with this unit as well!

I noticed that you have 4 RCA connectors going in to the amp. Did you get the low level input from the connection prior to the factory amp in the kick panel? Why are there 4 connectors instead of just 1?

Any reason you got the Basslink instead of the Basslink II? Now that I have seen your install, I will probably go with the Basslink as it looks like if fits perfectly in the spot you mounted it. The Basslink II is a little bigger I think.
Thats what is coming off the level input I got. I ran it off the rear deck......not from the front. That would just be too much work running the wire.

I purchased the regular basslink because I got it locally off of craigslist for $70........couldn't beat that. Especially since the II is like $400.

All together I sent $110 for basslink, wires and level input
Old 07-25-2006, 02:18 PM
Instructor

Think buying 2 basslinks and putting 1 on each side of the trunk is a good idea?
Old 07-25-2006, 02:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lembowski
Thats what is coming off the level input I got. I ran it off the rear deck......not from the front. That would just be too much work running the wire.

I purchased the regular basslink because I got it locally off of craigslist for $70........couldn't beat that. Especially since the II is like $400.

All together I sent $110 for basslink, wires and level input
Wow, great deal!

You got a Line-Level Converter? Doesn't the Basslink have one built in? I think Infinity refers to it as the "Universal Interface". Looks like molex type connectors are required to plug into that though. I am guessing the unit you bought didn't come with those wires.

I have seen the Basslink locally at Best Buy, but it's $299 there. I will probably pick one up on eBay... Problem is alot of people won't ship to Hawaii...

Originally Posted by cacicgt7
what's the basslink II?
The Basslink II is a newer version. It has a 10" square woofer which has more surface area than the round type. It also has a 250 Watt amp built in instead of a 200 Watt. Also, it has a slot where you can add a 4 channel amp (50Wx4) to drive your interior speakers.

Originally Posted by mrshowbiz122
Think buying 2 basslinks and putting 1 on each side of the trunk is a good idea?
That might be an idea. I am not sure the best way to split your input to the 2 amps though... A line-level converter with a Y-adapter might work? You would also need to split your power cable.

I am only planning on supplimenting the stock system with a little more bass. I personally think that just the one Basslink would be sufficient for my own needs.