Any suggestions on '08 ELS 5.1 sound system upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 01:10 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If anyone has any tips to getting this static/hiss noise out of my driver tweeter please LET ME KNOW.

The noise is only when my car is started, unless the stereo is cranked, I can hear the noise. Its bothering me to the point where I dont even want to drive the car.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:14 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
Can you take a pic of your amplifier ground point, battery ground terminal and grounding points?? Make sure you don't have corrosion anywhere.

I still get a whining that goes up and down in pitch (faint though) when the car is on. I haven't really tried to troubleshoot since I've been busy lately but I dunno if it's the RCA's, bad amp ground, bad grounds off battery, etc.

You don't have a processor or line driver do you?
Old 09-30-2011, 04:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey
Can you take a pic of your amplifier ground point, battery ground terminal and grounding points?? Make sure you don't have corrosion anywhere.

I still get a whining that goes up and down in pitch (faint though) when the car is on. I haven't really tried to troubleshoot since I've been busy lately but I dunno if it's the RCA's, bad amp ground, bad grounds off battery, etc.

You don't have a processor or line driver do you?
Between page 6-7 there should be all the pictures you asked about except the battery ground, but my installer did clean that up. I unplugged all the RCA and crossed the speaker wire from left to right on the amp and the noise was still there. It's only when the car is started though.

And yeah i have a RF BLD.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:11 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

The noise was still there in the drivers side tweeter? Or did it go with the change to the passenger side?
Old 10-01-2011, 01:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by illadelph
If anyone has any tips to getting this static/hiss noise out of my driver tweeter please LET ME KNOW.

The noise is only when my car is started, unless the stereo is cranked, I can hear the noise. Its bothering me to the point where I dont even want to drive the car.
I know exactly what you're talking about, but I don't know how much more I can help without being there. It shouldn't be doing that if everything is installed correctly. What is the shop that installed it saying?
Old 10-01-2011, 01:53 PM
Instructor

The noise was still there in the drivers side tweeter? Or did it go with the change to the passenger side?
No it stayed on my driver side even after switching on the amp AND unplugging the RCA's.

Geeky- The guy that did my set-up did it on the side. He doesn't think it's a ground, even though I kind of feel it is.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:45 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Hm. Does he (or you) have another amp or another tweeter to test it?? If it stayed with the tweeter it's either that amp channel, the tweeter itself (or something along the way...wiring, etc to that tweeter), or a grounding/level issue. I would check what I said if at all possible. It would really help and resolve 2 possible issues

So it's on "Balanced" on the BLD correct? The Rockford Fosgate amp GAIN is all the way down? The BLD GAIN knob is all the way down? ..just a checklist...

Did your installer run the power up the drivers side and the other stuff up passenger side? I'm wondering if he ran everything down the same side..

in your pic...the BLD appears to be on "balanced"

Last edited by Steven Bell; 10-01-2011 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by illadelph
No it stayed on my driver side even after switching on the amp AND unplugging the RCA's.

Geeky- The guy that did my set-up did it on the side. He doesn't think it's a ground, even though I kind of feel it is.
I don't think its a ground either. I think its the unbalanced/balanced issue me and TM butted up against.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:09 PM
Instructor

Hm. Does he (or you) have another amp or another tweeter to test it?? If it stayed with the tweeter it's either that amp channel, the tweeter itself (or something along the way...wiring, etc to that tweeter), or a grounding/level issue. I would check what I said if at all possible. It would really help and resolve 2 possible issues

So it's on "Balanced" on the BLD correct? The Rockford Fosgate amp GAIN is all the way down? The BLD GAIN knob is all the way down? ..just a checklist...

Did your installer run the power up the drivers side and the other stuff up passenger side? I'm wondering if he ran everything down the same side..

in your pic...the BLD appears to be on "balanced"
I don't have another amp or tweet to test but wouldn't moving the speaker wires from left to right on the amp outlaw the amp being the problem considering it stayed on the left/driver side? I've changed every option on the BLD a million times, its not incorrect settings causing the problem 100%.

He ran the power wire down the driver side, and everything else along the passenger... The only place there close is right next to the amp.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:20 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Right. If it stayed with the tweeter then it's not the amp. Sounds like a blown or defective tweeter then....
Old 10-03-2011, 03:15 PM
Instructor

Right. If it stayed with the tweeter then it's not the amp. Sounds like a blown or defective tweeter then....
Wouldn't the tweeter have that sound then when just my key is turned to aux? When the key is turned but motor is not running the sound is fine...
Old 10-19-2011, 02:44 PM
Instructor

Problem solved! my installer put the driver crossover too close to other wires, warranting the static. What a relief I finally have quiet tweets. The shop is actually doing a complete tune using a scope right now so everything should be sounding its best here in a little bit.

The owner actually played some hertz high energy.6.5 which sounded real good. Also showed me an Addison processor that uses fiber optics. Pretty cool stuff if I ever did my rears.

Last edited by illadelph; 10-19-2011 at 02:46 PM. Reason: yup
Old 10-19-2011, 04:58 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Good to hear man. Glad you got it all worked out. And yeah, those HSK's are pretty nice for a mid-line setup.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:33 AM
Instructor

Good to hear man. Glad you got it all worked out. And yeah, those HSK's are pretty nice for a mid-line setup.
Yeah what a relief...the only thing i'd like to do is fully dynamatt the doors. My original installer only did about a square foot around the brace for the speaker and the inside of the mdf. . . I still have 1/2 of the dynamatt door kit but obv i'll need more. I was looking at going a different kind of sound deadener/mat for a second skin. Im sure a full deaden door will be night and day.