Antenna Connection in the Trunk

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 07:49 AM
2008 NBP Base is in

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Antenna Connection in the Trunk

I purchased the iSimple with HD-Radio add-on a few months ago only to find out (after pulling my dash apart) that my 08 has Nav Traffic and the harness would not work. So like many of you I'm waiting for the new harness which as you may be aware allows the iSimple to be located in the trunk. My question is around the HD-Radio add-on as it needs to be connected to the cars radio antenna. Does anyone know where the actual antenna is and where the feed cable is routed. From what I could tell with my dash apart it looks like it comes from the rear of the car but I was not able to trace it to the source.

Any info would be very helpful....
Old 05-13-2009, 08:51 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
There's only one problem with putting the HDRT back there - the antenna. If you've looked at the unit, you'll see it was designed for the male end of the antenna to plug into it - so you'd either have to cut your cable in the trunk, or splice into it and make a new male connection back there.

Just FYI.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:36 AM
2008 NBP Base is in

Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
There's only one problem with putting the HDRT back there - the antenna. If you've looked at the unit, you'll see it was designed for the male end of the antenna to plug into it - so you'd either have to cut your cable in the trunk, or splice into it and make a new male connection back there.

Just FYI.
So are you saying that the antenna wire that finds it's way to the head unit in the dash actually routes through the trunk....? That's what I'm hoping for so that I can tap into it there.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
The power antenna module is on the drivers side C pillar. It's a small black Motorola box behind the pillar cover. I've never looked into that as far as connecting your HDRT there. I'm not sure what connections are available coming into that box. Might not me usable. Worth checking out though.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Richard_P_Harvey
So are you saying that the antenna wire that finds it's way to the head unit in the dash actually routes through the trunk....? That's what I'm hoping for so that I can tap into it there.
I don't know where it goes. I'm just reminding you of the connection type.

Uncald - which side of the headunit is the antenna on, do you know?
Old 05-13-2009, 11:26 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I purchased the iSimple with HD-Radio add-on a few months ago only to find out (after pulling my dash apart) that my 08 has Nav Traffic and the harness would not work. So like many of you I'm waiting for the new harness which as you may be aware allows the iSimple to be located in the trunk. My question is around the HD-Radio add-on as it needs to be connected to the cars radio antenna. Does anyone know where the actual antenna is and where the feed cable is routed. From what I could tell with my dash apart it looks like it comes from the rear of the car but I was not able to trace it to the source.

Any info would be very helpful....
the cable that comes with the hdrt is called Connector cable with a proprietary 8-pin connector maybe you can find a longer cable and place the hdrt up by the radio.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:30 AM
2008 NBP Base is in

So far I don't see an answer here.....Travis what exactly are you saying with reference to the "power antenna", I don't have a power antenna. Frankly I don't have a clue where the antenna actually is which is really what I asking here. If my iSimple is going to be in the trunk with this (soon to be available) new harness then mounting the HDRT there is optimal, but obviously I need to tap into the antenna somewhere. I would like to not need to run an antenna cable from the dash all the way to the trunk if at all possible.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
So far I don't see an answer here.....Travis what exactly are you saying with reference to the "power antenna", I don't have a power antenna. Frankly I don't have a clue where the antenna actually is which is really what I asking here. If my iSimple is going to be in the trunk with this (soon to be available) new harness then mounting the HDRT there is optimal, but obviously I need to tap into the antenna somewhere. I would like to not need to run an antenna cable from the dash all the way to the trunk if at all possible.
You do have a power antenna. It's in your back window. The terminating end for your AM/FM antenna is at the radio. Your antenna cable runs the length of the floor then up the C pillar where it connects to the Motorola power antenna box. I believe there are a couple breaks in the cable where you can unplug it. One break is at the C pillar. The other is under the glove box. You can unplug that cable and insert your splitter or HDRT connection if the right connector ends are present.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
I wanna say the antenna itself is in our rear window. So makes sense the antenna box is in the C-pillar.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by uncald4
You do have a power antenna. It's in your back window. The terminating end for your AM/FM antenna is at the radio. Your antenna cable runs the length of the floor then up the C pillar where it connects to the Motorola power antenna box. I believe there are a couple breaks in the cable where you can unplug it. One break is at the C pillar. The other is under the glove box.You can unplug that cable and insert your splitter or HDRT connection if the right connector ends are present.
You wouldn't happen to have a picture/diagram/whatever of this, would you?