Alpine amp with factory radio

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 09:36 PM
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
Alpine amp with factory radio

I have an Alpine Ktp-445U power pack 4 channel amp laying around that i want to hook up to the factory radio on my 05 TL. My only problem is i dont want to lose any speakers including the stock sub. Will i keep all my speakers if i install this amp? I know it'll work well because it will double the wattage of the stock amp/radio and clear up the sound a bit which is exactly what im looking for.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:55 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
that's one noisy D class piece of crap! i'm not making it up, i have one
it'll "clear" nothing, and will pick up RF noise from your neighbors
a very good paperweight!
my advice, keep it right where you have, outside the car that is
Old 07-15-2013, 11:13 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by abirvalg
that's one noisy D class piece of crap! i'm not making it up, i have one
it'll "clear" nothing, and will pick up RF noise from your neighbors
a very good paperweight!
my advice, keep it right where you have, outside the car that is
Noise? Maybe you had it connected wrong? I had it installed in my previous car for months and LOVED it, you can tell clearly that i had an amp by the sound but you couldnt see it anywhere it was tucked cleanly in the dash and its a TRUE 45x4 rms watts which is well over the factory output of my TL's radio, i had absolutely no noise at all from it. The thing has always got GREAT reviews on amazon all of us owners cant be lying, it cost me $80 brand new last year and doesnt require ANY wires running through the car... Best $80 ive spent in a while.

Last edited by Gil'sUA5; 07-15-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:17 PM
Pro

Now back to my question.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
True 45...............is it bridgable?
Old 07-16-2013, 02:47 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by pohljm
True 45...............is it bridgable?
Yes you can bridge it 90x2 RMS which is how i had it with my previous setup pushing my front stage VERY WELL but that setup was with an aftermarket head unit but with my TL now (factory head unit) im trying to find a way to run my rear speakers off another source of stock power, is it possible?

Last edited by Gil'sUA5; 07-16-2013 at 02:50 AM.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:49 AM
Racer

oh my! may i really didn't know what i was doing
i've tried 2 of those in 2 cars and they both picked up more white noise than i cared to listen to

but if you insist, let's get to your original question

Originally Posted by Gil'sUA5
Will i keep all my speakers if i install this amp?
i don't know, will you?

you probably meant to ask how to install it so you don't loose any speakers ... right?

and the answer is, along with your stock amp
you can run both fronts and rear off the KTP leaving center and Sub on stock

or better yet, and that's why pohljm asked you if it's bridgable, bridge it and run the fronts off KTP and the rest from stock

people who have tried amping the stock speakers say they sound a little better when fed more power, if it was up to me i'd replace the fronts along with tweeters with a set of components

but the minimum amount of work will include running an add-a-circuit from the driver side fuse box, finding a place to mount KTP near the passenger footwell and then taking stock preamps for KTP and returning KTP out into stock speaker wires, there should be plenty of grounds available around that spot

you can unplug the stock wires from the connectors one at a time or cut them if you wish, the harness option is only available on the preamp side (via an aftermarket sat radio harness), or at least i wasn't able to find the stock amp male plug anywhere
Old 07-16-2013, 08:05 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by abirvalg
oh my! may i really didn't know what i was doing
i've tried 2 of those in 2 cars and they both picked up more white noise than i cared to listen to

but if you insist, let's get to your original question

i don't know, will you?

you probably meant to ask how to install it so you don't loose any speakers ... right?

and the answer is, along with your stock amp
you can run both fronts and rear off the KTP leaving center and Sub on stock

or better yet, and that's why pohljm asked you if it's bridgable, bridge it and run the fronts off KTP and the rest from stock

people who have tried amping the stock speakers say they sound a little better when fed more power, if it was up to me i'd replace the fronts along with tweeters with a set of components

but the minimum amount of work will include running an add-a-circuit from the driver side fuse box, finding a place to mount KTP near the passenger footwell and then taking stock preamps for KTP and returning KTP out into stock speaker wires, there should be plenty of grounds available around that spot

you can unplug the stock wires from the connectors one at a time or cut them if you wish, the harness option is only available on the preamp side (via an aftermarket sat radio harness), or at least i wasn't able to find the stock amp male plug anywhere
No, I didnt mean how can i install it and not LOOSE all my speakers, i meant how can I install it and not LOSE them (since we're getting technical) and yes i already have my components from my previous setup jut didnt want to bridge the amp to the front stage and have no other speakers sound. Thank you for answering my question seems like a lot of work but im taking it to a shop to get it done anyway so i'll explain to them what i want and let them deal with all that wiring.

Last edited by Gil'sUA5; 07-16-2013 at 08:07 AM.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:33 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Gil'sUA5
No, I didnt mean how can i install it and not LOOSE all my speakers, i meant how can I install it and not LOSE them (since we're getting technical)
Good one!
i gusess it helps to fully wake up before posting ...
well, that and being a native English speaker may be, which i'm not
in any case, good luck! it should be an easy job for any shop
Old 07-16-2013, 09:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
There would be absolutely no reason to amp the rear speakers in any kind of quality build. you need to send all of that power which isnt much to front components and leave the rest on OEM amp. And at some point do something about the sub. I dont think that amp will work very well without a line driver as well.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:45 AM
Racer

sorry, had to be short, needed to run

your stage concern is valid, but only if you primarily listen to DVD-As
in that case you'd want all you speakers amped equally to preserve the surround imaging and KTP simply doesn't have enough channels to do so, you'd need an extra mono for the sub or a new sub all together

for stereo content, front stage is an industry standard in competitive car audio
typically accomplished with at least some help form time alignment available in most DSPs, but some people have gone as far as even unplugging the rears entirely

hence the advice on bridging KTP for the fronts only

regardless of what you decide to do, it may be wise to ask the shop to do as non-destructive of an install as possible, potentially something you can rewire or remove easily

http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=14761
this has the male and female for the low end of the stock amp
so they can make a "plug-and-play" harness for the KTP input

the high end may have to be butchered or some other pair of male-female plugs used to make it "plug-and-play"