Alarm Goes Off By Itself After huge Storm

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2020, 09:29 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Alarm Goes Off By Itself After huge Storm

Got woken up at 2:30 Christmas morning with my alarm going off. Shut it off with the keyfob, then the DRL's stayed on. Went out, started the car, shut it off, then the lights went off 10 seconds later like they're supposed to. A few minutes later, the alarm went off again. After I used the keyfob to silence it, the DRL's stayed on again and did so for the rest of the night. They were off when I got up this morning. I already figured I had a dead battery, so I called AAA. The guy had one of those handheld gizmos that had 2 sets of cables to simultaneously connect to the battery terminals which test the charging system as well as the battery, and he said everything's fine, you just have a dead battery that has to be charged. The car started right up, but he said don't turn it off. Went on a half-hour of errands without shutting it off. Got home, shut it off, then it and it started right up. Low and behold, the alarm went off a half-hour later. Being back to square 1, I just disconnected the battery for the night.

I was nowhere near any type of flooding. So the question is, what might have gotten wet from the catastrophic wind and rain we had with 70 MPH gusts? Which components should I look at first?
Old 12-26-2020, 11:48 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Fixt! There's an electric switch within the hood latch that normally closes and sends a signal to ignite the alarm if someone tries to break into your hood. Water got in there from all the massive wind & rain and was randomly shorting out the switch. When alarms start going off by themselves, it's typically this switch that causes this problem according to Paul, our star master mechanic here in Nawth Jerzy. Replacing the switch means replacing the whole hood latch. He also says all Acuras and most Hondas have this. Who knew? It's dried out now and everything's just peachy.

Old 12-26-2020, 06:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,426 Posts
Originally Posted by DMZ
Fixt! There's an electric switch within the hood latch that normally closes and sends a signal to ignite the alarm if someone tries to break into your hood. Water got in there from all the massive wind & rain and was randomly shorting out the switch. When alarms start going off by themselves, it's typically this switch that causes this problem according to Paul, our star master mechanic here in Nawth Jerzy. Replacing the switch means replacing the whole hood latch. He also says all Acuras and most Hondas have this. Who knew? It's dried out now and everything's just peachy.

^yup common issue. You can spray dielectric grease into it to help prevent water from getting in
Old 12-27-2020, 05:44 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Common Issue, huh? Then how come ya never menchind it befaw?
YOU from here on --->
Old 12-27-2020, 04:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,426 Posts
Originally Posted by DMZ
Common Issue, huh? Then how come ya never menchind it befaw?
YOU from here on --->
not my fault you didn't google well enough
Old 12-29-2020, 08:24 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
It's probably all the TLX threads started in the wrong section on here.
Old 03-14-2023, 02:35 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DMZ

Hi DMZ, can you advise which hood latch part you replaced? https://www.oemacuraparts.com/v-2008...g--engine-hood

There's another new thread going on regarding the rain and alarm issue, but I wanted to check the hood latch also.
Old 03-15-2023, 02:26 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bibik
Hi DMZ, can you advise which hood latch part you replaced? https://www.oemacuraparts.com/v-2008...g--engine-hood

There's another new thread going on regarding the rain and alarm issue, but I wanted to check the hood latch also.
Sorry, I realized I forgot to tag your name, @DMZ